01.

Unripe

    Jeon Manor, built-in 1836, sits miles west of the East Sea, landlocked between a small town and a forest of redwood trees. The Jeon’s, who once held power in the Royal Court has since been estranged from other nobles and live in seclusion in the West District. The family of three now spend quiet days attempting to beguile their way back into the favor of the Royal family.

    One particular night the Jeon’s sit down together for supper. Duke Jeon emerges. First, the tall, robust man with a thick black beard takes his place at the head of the table. He settles himself in an ornate armchair, crossing his arms across his chest as he waits. After a few minutes, the Duchess enters with a handmaid at her side. Some have argued that the dewy-eyed beauty made a mistake marrying into a dead-end fate, yet she has no regrets.

    Inside the family of three sit quietly as servants serve dinner. Jeon Jungkook, the only son, fiddles with the cutlery as his parents take their places at each respective end of the table. Duke Jeon is a tall, robust man with a thick black beard, while the much smaller Duchess is blessed with a dewy-eyed presence that draws every watchers attention. The two gave birth to Jungkook twenty years prior, who shares redeeming qualities from both parents.  

    The Duke settles himself as the last platter is placed on the wooden table.

    “Now isn’t it nice, having a family dinner together after so long?”

    “We never eat together, I don’t understand, father?”

    “Truthfully Jungkook, your mother and I wanted to discuss an important matter.”

    “Please tell me we’re moving to the royal court.”

    “No, not yet I’m afraid we haven’t graced the king’s favor just yet.”

    “However… 

    “However?”

    “Hope is not lost just yet, my son.”

He watches as his mother and father exchange hesitant glances.

    “Boy, you have to understand your mother, and I only have you in mind in this decision.”

    “You two are scaring me now, What is it, father?”

    “We’ve arranged a marriage.”

Jungkook practically chokes on his food when the word emerges into the air.

    “What? Marriage. Papa, I’m not even remotely prepared to wed anyone, let alone someone I’ve never even met.”

    “What differences does it make, she’s a woman with a heart, and more importantly, she has the title we need to secure a better position within the kingdom.

    “This is absurd! Mother, please talk some sense into Father.”

The Duchess readjusts her posture in her seat before delivering the final dagger to Jungkook’s confidence.

    “We will give you time to think about it, but this is important to us Jungkook.”

    “No. It’s important to you.”

Jungkook promptly s his chair back and storms out of the room.

    Jungkook climbs the master staircase in silence, averting his sight from staff scattered throughout the building. He navigates his way to his bedroom, where he was free to the wandering eyes. Once in his own privacy, Jungkook lets a deep exhale fill the room.

    “I can’t believe them! Trying to sell off their only son to any wealthy dame they come across. Do I not have any say in the details of my future? I’m not a child anymore. A twenty-two-year-old should have some kind of authority.”

Jungkook sits on his bed, leafing through a book when a pebble hits his window. When he looks out, he sees his friend Hoseok standing in the garden. Jungkook opens the window.

        “What are you doing! You know my parents would be furious if they saw you here after you pissed on my mother’s carnations!”

    “How else was I suppose to contact you? Send a letter? I haven’t the patience.”

    “What is it now, Hoseok.”

    “Aye, Aye don’t be like that! Come on down, Drinks on me tonight.”

    “I haven’t been out drinking in over a month.”

    “Come on, it’ll be fun! Namjoon and Yoongi are coming too. We miss you.”

    “My parents don’t like me associating with you all.”

    “Fair, but what about you?”

    “Fine. I’ll be down in 10 minutes.”

    Jungkook lights a small candle to guide him down the halls. He becomes overly conscious of the sound of his footsteps amongst the silence. Jungkook is confident that all have long gone to bed, but the odds of being discovery still frightens him. He eases his way through and slips out into the garden. When Jungkook emerges, Hoseok is plucking at a few of the flowers.

    “Yah!”

Jungkook practically yells as he slaps the petals out of Hoseok’s hand.

    “Stop that! Let’s go before we wake anyone!”

Jungkook leads the way, and Hoseok follows behind mocking Jungkook behind his back.

    When the two finally bypass the gates, Jungkook lets out an exasperated breath. 

    “I can’t believe you would do something so reckless, Hoseok.”

    “Oh kook, how long have we known each other? We practically grew up together—Like brothers!”

    “Until you started acting out and my parents stopped inviting you over for playdates.”

    “That was unfair! I was 11, how was I supposed to know what’s valuable and what isn’t?”

    “My mother’s vase was a 4th generation heirloom. She cried about it for a solid month.”

    “I just wanted a better look! I’m the victim here! It shattered on my head, after all, I even have a scar as proof.”

    “You and your big head” Jungkook finally laughs.

    “There’s my boy.” Hoseok slings his arm around Jungkook

    After some walking, the two reach an unmarked building on the outside of town. The flimsy wood structure had withstood over a decade of weathered abuse and yet, still stood. The first time Jungkook had been to the tavern was the eve of Hoseok’s 18th birthday, guaranteeing that come midnight he’d be granted his first legal drink. For years prior he’d been sneaking bourbon from his father’s cellar late at night claiming it to be a strange colored juice if questioned. Jungkook, on the other hand, had never tasted the alcohol. His father wasn’t much of a drinker, and his mother only sipped on water-downed wine at special occasions to take care of her figure. Being that he’d rarely been exposed to the world of drinking, he didn’t have much of an affinity for the sorts.

    Still, when Hoseok threatened to tell the town, he was a prude he reluctantly agreed to tag along. As Hoseok leaned up against the bar eagerly, Jungkook stood to the side with his arms folded across his chest. After a few minutes, the man behind the bar slides a pint of liquor toward Hoseok before promptly filling another glass and pushing it to the side. Taking the other drink into his hand, Hoseok turns to face Jungkook with a nod of his head to one of the glasses.

    “You know I don’t drink.”

    “Come on, just try it.”

    Hoseok extends his arm out, causing the brown liquid to spill over the lip of the glass and onto his hand. Jungkook brought it closer to his face, the fowl smell overpowering his senses, causing him to retch.

    “It’s not that bad.”

    “It smells like dirty pond water “

    “it’s not the smell that’s important here, it’s the allure, the fulfillment of completely easing your senses.”

    Jungkook takes the smallest sip he could muster, holding his breath as he did so. It didn’t taste as bad as it smelled, but it was no pomegranate juice. 

    “I don’t understand how this can be enjoyable for anyone. Am I the only one with any tastebuds here?”

    “Just finish the drink and then see what you think. Trust me.”

    Jungkook was reluctant to trust anything Hoseok said or did, but the two sat at a corner booth nursing the unappealing concoction. Hoseok finishes his drink with ease, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. Jungkook taps the glass with his fingers. He’d taken a few mouthfuls, swallowing cautiously with the fear of its reappearance if his stomach didn’t take well to it. Soon his throat burned and his head felt like it was attached to a spinning apparatus.

    “Am I supposed to feel like I’m floating?”

    Floating was the best way to describe the strange feeling. His vision was swaying, but his body remained stationed in his seat, his eyes trying to focus on his hands, but they kept shifting places.

    “This is it Jungkook. This is what I mean.”

    “I don’t know if I like this Hyung.”

    Jungkook knew he was panicking, he could sense his elevated heart rate and reddening skin. Maybe this was an adverse reaction, and this was his body telling him to stop immediately.

    “This is all normal, consider yourself a lightweight. The more you drink, the easier it’ll get.”

    “So you don’t feel like this every time?”

    “No, not exactly. The side effects dull over time.”

    “I don’t think I care to wait until then.” 

    Jungkook puts his half-full glass to the side and holds his temples with his hands.

    “I feel like I’m going to be sick.” He continues.

    The word manifests itself in Jungkook’s stomach, clutching it he runs into the bathroom.

                      —

    When the two enter this time, nothing has changed except maybe the number of customers.

    “Last time you were here you threw up, right?” Hoseok laughs as he held his stomach with his hand, mimicking Jungkook.

    “it’s been years since that night, let’s just forget it ever happened okay?”

    “Okay okay” Hoseok throws his hands in the air as an act of surrender.

    Across the room, someone yells for Hoseok. In the corner, a short pale-skinned man half stands in a booth waving his arm. 

    “Yoongi!” Hoseok leads, coming into an embrace with the man called Yoongi whose lips curl above his gums when he grins.

    “Oh-? Is that Jungkook? You’ve grown so much, I hardly recognize you.”

    From 18 to 20 years old, Jungkook had grown a full 6 inches, he’d begun filling out and by 22 he’d lost all of his baby fat. Now he looked like an adult and others were finally taking notice.

    Hoseok fakes a hearty laugh to cover up Jungkook’s lack of response. Jungkook chews the inside of his cheek as he is sandwiched between the hot bodies of the other men. 

    “I knew Hoseokie was coming around tonight, but I never expected you to bring someone with you, let alone Jeon Jungkook.” Yoongi continues, inciting laughter.

    Jungkook could tell by their snickering that they were mocking him, but he simply bit down harder on the flesh inside his mouth.

    Another sat across the table from Jungkook chimes in abruptly

    “Yes, pray, do tell what do we owe the honor of meeting the prestigious Marquess on this beautiful night? 

    “Screw you, Kim Seokjin,” Hoseok replies, his hand squeezing Jungkook’s thigh gently.

    “It’s okay, Hyung.”

    Jungkook takes a breath and finally lifts his head. His eyes are sharp as he returns Kim Seokjin’s comment with a glare.

    “Feel free to continue, by all means, if attempting to belittle someone as prestigious as I, makes you feel better about your sad life then go on.”

    Kim Seokjin is entirely baffled by Jungkook’s sudden attitude change. He holds the back of his neck as his temper flares.

    “Yah, Seokjin cool it. If Hoseok’s friends with him, we’re friends with him.”

Seokjin scoots out of his seat and storms off. Yoongi turns to Jungkook apologetically.

    “I’m sorry about him, he hasn’t been in a great state recently. You’re welcome here.”

    “I just thought it would be nice if I brought Kook out of his dungeon for the night, I didn’t think he’d be eaten alive like this.”

    “What do you mean a dungeon!”

    “Kookie, who are you trying to fool here? We all know that your parents wouldn’t let you step foot outside your home had it not been for your mother’s garden.”

    “It’s not as bad as you make it out to be.”

    “I would be quick to off myself before subjecting myself to that kind of torture.”

    A server arrives at the table with a tray of beers. As they’re placed on the table, Jungkook is the first to grab one and immediately swallow a mouthful.

    “Woah there Jungkook, there’s plenty of beer to go around.”

Jungkook nudges Hoseok, but he doesn’t seem to understand as he continues to disclose information about his family.

    “I’m sorry but your parents controlling everything you do? I can’t even begin to imagine how horrid that must be.”

    “Okay, but that is my life. I can’t do anything to change it!”

    “Why not?”

    “Jesus. What are you getting on about now, Hoseok?

    “A way out.”

    

 

 

 

 

 

-----

Hi!!! I took a bit of a hiatus from writing but I really need to force myself to produce content so here we are!!! I first wrote the concept of this as a screenplay but have decided to adapt it into a story!! :))) let me know what you all think!! I'm going to try to update either weekly or biweekly!