04.

Unripe

“I was simply on a stroll, what’s this about trespassing? Besides, as far as I was concerned, this building has been empty for a while now. To be honest, I didn’t think anyone lived there to begin with, but now that you’ve got me thinking, how do I know you aren’t the one trespassing?”
    “He has a point.” Hoseok chimes in, and Jungkook threatens to hit him, but Hoseok is smart enough to back off.
    “Well I live here now. My family owns this orchard.”
    “Ahh, so you must be apart of that infamous family of snobby nobles that originated here? Figures.”
    “You’ve heard of us.”
    “Only some stories.”
    “Clearly, my family hasn’t left the best impression on this town.”
    “I’ll hold my tongue on the matter.”
    Jungkook audibly sighs, raking his hand through his long hair. The man takes it as an act of frustration directed toward him.
    “Look,” he continues, “I didn’t mean to step on anyone’s toes I come through these parts on my way home because I love the smell of unripe fruit right before it hits its peak. I have no intention of imposing on your life. In fact, I’ll get out of your hair right now. Goodnight, Sir.”
     Jungkook feels hesitant in case he may be overstepping, but he stops the blind man from leaving with a verbal “Wait!”
    He stops mid-step, holding onto a stem as he turns back to Jungkook.
    “Yes?”
    “Let me be so kind and walk you home since I’ve troubled you with my hostility, Sir?”
    “No Sir, just call me Taehyung.”
    “Fair enough, I’m Jungkook.”
    “Well, enough small talk, let’s get a move on it before what’s left of the light disappears, and you’re left as blind as me.”



    Jungkook rushes down to meet Taehyung in the orchard. He stands barefoot; his soles pressed into the soil. When he hears his footsteps approach, he extends his hand out, palms up. Jungkook takes his hand loosely, and they walk out of the orchard together.
    As they move from dirt to gravel, Jungkook takes Taehyung’s appearance into account. Taehyung was practically drowning in his clothes; they hung off his petite frame like rags. His feet showed signs of prolonged exposure.
    “Don’t your feet hurt?”
    “When you walk like this long enough, you build a tolerance.”
    “Still, a man like yourself shouldn’t have to live without shoes.
    “Perhaps that can be said for the people you’ve met in the city. I wouldn’t say I’m like them at all. The only things I need are the bare necessities, and everything else is just a luxury.”
    “You think shoes are luxurious?”
    “Well we don’t need shoes to walk.”
    “Fair enough, I see your point.”
    “Besides, being blind and all, I like being able to feel where I am. Like right now, as we’re walking, I can tell it’s a road because I feel the roughness of the concrete.”
    “Have you been blind your entire life?”
    “I had some sight as a kid, over the years it went away bit by bit, and now all I see is light and shadows. I can just barely remember what the world looks like; my imagination fills in the rest of the cracks.”
    Jungkook holds his tongue, trudging along in silence for a moment too long that urges Taehyung to continue
    “I’m sure you’re thinking. Oh, what a terrible life to have. But I’m perfectly happy the way I am. I can’t imagine the world any way I want.
    Jungkook stops walking entirely to look at Taehyung.
    “I wasn’t thinking that actually, I was trying to imagine living in eternal darkness.”
    “Oh?
    Taehyung’s grip on Jungkook’s hand tightens as they continue down the road.



    Taehyung and Jungkook reach Taehyung’s home, where he invites him inside. The house is as small as a shoebox and has little to no furniture. Inside Taehyung’s younger brother Tan is cooking in the kitchen. Tan looks at Jungkook in disgust as he enters. 
    “Hyung, I thought you had just gone for a walk, but I see you’ve done more than just that.”
    Taehyung joins his brother in the kitchen. He leans over the pot to get a good sniff of the boiling broth.
    “You know the orchard up the street? The one that’s always empty? Jungkook, here just moved in there now, and I allowed him to walk me home after it had gotten dark.”
    “Walk you home? You already know how to get home by yourself.”
    Taehyung snakes his hand up Tan’s arm, squeezing the flesh of his shoulder tight.
    “I don’t mean to intrude; I haven’t been back to Yongdam since I was a kid. I thought I’d take my walk with your brother as an opportunity to explore.”
    “We don’t mind, do we, Tannie?” He pinches the skin between his fingers once more.
    “Sure!” 
    Tan wiggles out of Taehyungs grasp and rubs his arm frantically. He returns to stirring the pot while Taehyung encourages Jungkook to take a seat on a battered beige couch, one of the only pieces of furniture in the room.
    “Your parents working?”
    “We ain’t got any.”
    “No, parents?”
    “They died years ago in the war. Momma was a nurse, Dad a General. The monarchy sent all the family’s affected detailed letters after the war ended. Tannie told me the letter explained they’d been killed in a base attack by the American troops.”
    Taehyung sighs heavy, causing his shoulders to brush against Jungkook’s.
    “I’m sorry to hear that.”
    “If the King would stop manipulating us as objects of war. I don’t understand why we need to fight at all!”
    Taehyung cups his hand around his mouth, whispering to Jungkook.
    “Tannie still hasn’t fully settled with the news.”
    “Well, I agree with you, Tan. Violence shouldn’t be the choice of invoking change.
    “Maybe if more of the King’s court thought more like you, we would have fewer casualties.”
    “Yes, well, that’s what my parent’s envisioned for me as well. However, I don’t think I’m cut out for that kind of lifestyle.”
    “Of being rich and powerful ?”
    “No, of having no freedom.
    “But it’s not like we got any freedom here either. We’re forced to live like slaves to the monarchy.”
    “But, you have freedom of mind. That’s the kind of freedom I desire. The type in which I can live; however, I choose and not the type in which someone tells me how to live.”
    “That’s rather big thinking.”
    “Nothing’s too big if you set your mind to it.”
“You’re quite an interesting character, Jungkook.”
Taehyung’s eyes stare off far pastJungkook, but his lips part to smile. Jungkook returns a smug smile silently, but only Tan takes note of his expression. He stares back at Jungkook, scowling.
    “I think it’s best I head home now, it’s gotten rather late.”
    Jungkook hoists himself up from the couch.
    “Goodbye then.”
    “Until next time. I say, hoping there is a next time?”
    Taehyung tilts his head up, following the sound of Jungkook’s voice.
    “I’m sure our paths shall cross again.”
    And with that Jungkook dips out of the house leaving Taehyung and Tan alone, the sound of liquid boiling echoes.



    When the sound of footsteps fades, Taehyung turns his body back to the kitchen.
    “He’s awful nice, ain’t he?”
    Tan scrunches his face in disgust at his brother’s comment.
“Did he offer you something? He was dressed as if he had a lot of money.”
    “Tannie, you have to remember that I can’t easily judge people by what they look like. He spoke kind words to me, and that alone is enough for me.”
    “I just don’t like those noble type people. Something just doesn’t feel right when they come to town, makes me worried they’re just looking to take advantage of us.”
    “You worry too much for someone so young.”
    “I wish you would stop treating me like I’m a child, Tae. When mom and dad died, there was no more “being a child.”
    Taehyung makes his way to his brother, reaching for his arm once more. His hands are warm and clammy.
    “I understand you only have the best intentions, but you have to remember that I’m still your older brother, and that means I’m in charge around here.
    “Are you really going to pull that card on me? Do you think you’re responsible enough to be in charge? Look at all those men you invite here. They practically trash the place with bottles everywhere!”
    “I am a grown adult, and you will not concern yourself with my business, Kim Tan.”
    “The way they touch you. The looks on their grimy faces. it’s disgusting!”
    Taehyung takes a swing, his fingers sweeping against a small section of Tan’s cheek. Tan flinches but only slightly, taking three steps back until his back hits the wall. He knows that if Taehyung could properly see, he’d be on the ground sobbing in pain.
    “I’m sorry,” Tan whispers to himself, but it’s enough to get Taehyung off his case. Taehyung returns to his room, where he plopped himself in front of a bag. One by one, he rubbed out the creases from the money he had received that day.



When Jungkook returns to the property, he finds Hoseok in the parlor, plucking away at a lute.
    “Back already? I would have thought you’d spend the night entertaining that pretty blind man.”
    “You think I would take advantage of someone’s kindness just because they’re pretty? Who do you think I am?”
    “You really know how to make everything unnecessarily serious. I only meant it as a joke, Jungkook. What’s the point in living a life you can’t enjoy?”
    “I don’t make the rules; there’s no life manual.”
    “But there is you, Jungkook. You can write your own.”
    Jungkook’s habit of sighing continues.
    “Perhaps I’m just tired. We should get some sleep.”
    Hoseok lays his lute down against the wall and follows Jungkook up the stairs. Jungkook heads into the first room on the left. Hoseok stands in the hall, watching Jungkook as he maneuvered around the room, removing his shirt and tossing it in the corner. He sits on the edge of the bed, head in his hands.
    “Jungkook.”
    Hoseok kneels beside Jungkook’s feet. He rests a hand on Jungkook’s knee.
    “Please don’t be upset.”
    “I’m just frustrated with myself.”
    “You don’t have to be. You’re entitled to take risks, and if it’s a mistake, you’ll learn from it. “
    “I’m scared, Hoseok. Practically petrified.”
    Hoseok can feel Jungkook’s body quake under his touch.
    “I’m here, and I’ll protect you, I promise.”

 

 

I thought about writing more but then I got really tired and unmotivated so I figure It would be better if I just edit it and post it! Until next time!