Misunderstood

Forever In My Heart

Sunnee got out of the car, and her friends immediately greeted her. "Sunnee!" they called her. Sunnee looked at the group of girls approaching her. "Jinna wanted to go to the mall later." her best friend, Rainbow, told her. "Sure. I have nothing to do later anyway." she said. Then, Jinna saw the guy who got out of her car. 

 

"Sunnee, who's that cutie that got out of your car?" she asked. Sunnee saw the flirtatious smile on her face. She looked back and saw her stepbrother walking away from the car. "Just some peasant who I picked up on my way to school." she said. All of her friends let out a laugh. "What a cutie peasant..." Xuan Yi told her. Rainbow frowned at Sunnee upon hearing what she said. "That's so mean, Sunnee!" she told her. Rainbow frowned at her best friend. 

 

The four friends went inside the building and headed to their room. Xuan Yi and Jinna walked in front of Rainbow and Sunnee. "Sunnee, who is that guy?" Rainbow asked seriously to her. Sunnee let out a sigh, and folded her arms. "A stranger living in my house." Sunnee answered. Rainbow gave her a confused look. "My papa got married, OK? That guy is my stepbrother." Sunnee explained further. 

 

Rainbow just nodded her head. "So, you're mad at your papa for marrying someone new?" she asked. "Who wouldn't be mad? For the longest time, it's just me and papa, and these strangers suddenly came into our live. If he doesn't  give me attention before, how can he give me attention now that he has a new wife. And my papa seems to favor that stupid guy" Sunnee said with a pout. 

 

Rainbow looked at her. She felt bad for her best friend. She knew how much Sunnee wanted her fathers attention, but sometimes, she gets it in a bad way. "Hey, it's going to be all right..."she said as she held her hand. Sunnee looked at her, and saw her giving her a reassuring smile. "Who knows, this might lead into something good for you and your papa." Rainbow said. 

 

Sunnee pouted at her. "You sure is an optimist, are you?" she asked. Rainbow just smiled again. "That's why I'm called Rainbow. After the rain, there's always a rainbow. And for someone named after the center of the solar system, you sure look gloomy." Rainbow told her. 

 

Sunnee rolled her eyes at her, while Rainbow just laughed. 

 

--

 

The class bell rang, and it was already lunch time. "I wonder if Sunnee had someone to have lunch with?" he thought as he put away his things. 

 

"Dylan, come join us for lunch." his classmate, Teddy, told him. "Yeah, join us." his other classmate, Win, said. Dylan smiled politely at them. "Sure. But first, can I ask where is the classrooms for junior high?" Dylan asked. Teddy and Simon looked at each other with confusion. "Why do you ask?" Teddy asked him. "We, senior high students, don't usually go to the junior high building." Win said. 

 

"Oh, I just wanted to check on my sister." Dylan said. "So, you and your sister transferred here in Ying Kai?" Teddy asked. Dylan shook his head. "She had been studying here for a long time. I was the only one who transferred here." he explained. Teddy and Win nodded their heads. "So, who is your sister in junior high?" Teddy asked. Dylan smiled at them. "Sunnee Wu." he said. 

 

He saw the shocked expression in his classmates' face as they looked each other. "That's Samantha Wu, right?" Win asked. Teddy nodded his head. Dylan gave them a confused look. "Why?" he asked. Win let out a sigh as he shook his head. "Dylan..." he said. "You're sister is the big trouble of Ying Kai."

 

--

 

Dylan, Teddy and Win headed to the junior high building, when they saw a commotion near it. Teddy and Win looked at each other. "Uh-oh... do you think what I think?" he asked. Win nodded his head. "The trouble is here again!" Win said. Dylan gave the a confused look. "What do you mean?" he asked. "Your sister must be fighting with someone again." Teddy said. 

 

The three of them ran to the crowd to see what's happening. As they made their way through it, they saw Sunnee pinning down a senior high school guy on the ground. "What?!" Sunnee shouted again. "I... will.. not..." the guy said, trying to catch his breath. Everyone could see he was in such pain.

 

Before he could finish, Sunnee kicked him on the ground before stepping on his chest. Then, she leaned down on him, and hissed at his ear. "If I see your face again, I'll make sure your mother will not recognize your face anymore." she said. She kicked the guy again, before letting him go. 

 

Dylan could not believe what he saw before her. He could hear the students around him judging Sunnee. "The guy got played again by her..."

"Oh, poor guy. He got tripped on by Sunnee!"

"That girl is such a bully!"

"Ugh, she's a girl but likes to fight?"

"Why isn't she out of Ying Kai yet?"

 

He looked at Sunnee and saw her composing herself. "There must be a reason why she did that..." he thought. "See, we told you she's the big trouble of Ying Kai." Win said. Teddy nodded his head. "We know she's your sister, but stay away from her for your own good." Teddy told him. Dylan looked away from them, and looked at Sunnee's direction as she went back inside the building. 

 

--

 

Sunnee approached the crying girl by the stairs, and handed her her handkerchief. "Here, stop crying." she told her coldly. The girl looked up at her, and tried to smile. "T-t-thank you...." she managed to say in between sobs. 

 

Sunnee let out a sigh, and sat beside her. "You could have shouted when he tried to kiss you. At least it would alert other people. Good thing, I was around when I saw him trying to molest you." she told her. She looked at him, and saw she was still crying. She patted her head, and let out a smile. "Hey, he's gone now. I don't think he will do something to you. If he did, I will just be here to protect you." she said. 

 

The girl looked at her, and smiled. "Thank you, senior. If it wasn't for you, I don't know what would have happened to me. Maybe... maybe..." She was about to cry again. Sunnee held her hand, and squeezed it. "I won't let that happen." she assured her. The girl then gave her a hug.

 

--

 

"Sunnee, how's Ao Juan?" Rainbow asked the moment she got inside the classroom. Sunnee let out a smile. "She's OK now. I guess she got traumatized with what that senior high guy did to her." she explained. 

 

Jinna let out a sigh. "I can't believe this school has erts!" she said. "Aren't you scared that the dean will call you again and your dad?" Xuan Yi asked. "For sure, Sunnee had told Ao Juan to shut up in case the dean calls Sunnee to explain. Why don't you want to let them to know the truth? You only fight with those guys, because you see them bullying us junior high students." Jinna said. "Adults wouldn't understand anyway." Sunnee said as she smiled. 

 

Rainbow looked worriedly at Sunnee as she took her seat. She felt bad for her. She knew she purposely gets in trouble so that her father would notice her. Sunnee had always been helpful with a lot of students in junior high, but sometimes her helpfulness lands her in trouble, like what happened today. 

 

She can't count many times how Sunnee had helped her, Jinna and Xuan Yi as well. Sunnee was the first one to fight for her when her bullies tried to hurt her. Sunnee saved Xuan Yi when their seniors tried to molest her. Jinna got help from Sunnee when the mean girls bullied her as well. Since then, the three of them stayed by Sunnee's side to always support her. 

 

Even though they know she only wanted to help, she would ask those she had helped to keep quiet about her good deeds, reasons why she always end up in the principal's office. She is misunderstood, and judged for being someone who likes to pick a fight with the seniors. They didn't know, Sunnee only gets into fights to protect the weak. 

 

"Sometimes, I'm worried about her..." Xuan Yi said as she looked at Rainbow. "You too, right? She can't always be in trouble just because she's trying to help." she added. "We can't do anything for now but let Sunnee do as she wishes." Rainbow said. Xuan Yi nodded her head. 

 

"Ah, Sunnee.... someone left this for you a while ago." Jinna said as she handed her a bag of small, red candies. After she took the bag from Jinna, she stared at it. "I remember this..." she said. "What kind of a candy is that? I don't think I've seen that in any stores." she asked again. 

 

Sunnee just smiled at her. "This candy is a magical candy. It makes you happy after you eat it." she said. She took one, and unwrapped it. "It's not drugs, isn't it?" Rainbow asked worriedly. After she popped the candy in , she's in a good mood. "Could he be here? That kid from 7 years ago?" she thought. 

 

She gave a piece of candies for her friends to taste. "Ah, this candy is so good, Sunnee!" Xuan Yi said. "Who gave these to you?" Rainbow asked. Sunnee shrugged her shoulder, then looked at Jinna. "Jinna? Who handed this to you?" Sunnee asked. 

 

"I don't know. I just saw that on your table. Ian and Riley wanted to take it, so I kept it for you while you're gone." Jinna explained. Sunnee just nodded her head. "Must be from one of the students she helped before." Xuan Yi said. Jinna nodded in agreement. 

 

From outside their classroom, Dylan was peeking at her. The moment she ate the candy, he smiled to himself. "I hope she still remembers..." he said. After he saw that Sunnee got the candies, he left to go back to his room. 

 

--

 

"Samantha!"

 

Chun shouted angrily as he got inside the house. As he walked inside, he saw Sunnee sitting on the couch with her headphones on. "Samantha!" Chun shouted at her. However, it seems that Sunnee didn't hear her father calling her name. He then took the headphones off of her to get her attention. 

 

"What?" she asked in an annoyed tone. "The dean called me today. He said you fought with a student and bullied him." Chun told her. Sunnee rolled her eyes at him. "You should get used to it by now." she said nonchalantly. Chun took a deep breath, and massaged his head. 

 

"I'm sick and tired of your bull, Sunnee! What do you get when you get yourself in trouble?" he asked her. "Then, just ignore it, like how you ignore me." she answered back. His hand landed on her cheek all of a sudden, making her silent. She looked at him as she nursed her cheek. 

 

"Listen to me, Samantha. You are going to apologize tomorrow to that guy you hurt. Do you understand?" he said firmly. Sunnee looked at her father with hatred. He didn't even know the whole story, why would she follow his orders?

 

"I hate you, do you know that?" she told her father. Chun was surprised at what he did as well. This was the first time he hit Sunnee, and it hurt him the most. But he knew he had to discipline her. Sunnee stood up, and faced her father. "I'd rather die than apologize to that . And what do you know about the incident, you weren't there anyway. You don't care about me, you only care about how you will look in front of other people. You must be very ashamed of me, right? Good thing you have your goody-two-shoe stepson to be proud of." Sunnee told him. 

 

"Sunnee..." Chun looked at her. She gritted her teeth as she stared at him. She controlled her tears from falling. She can't cry in front of her father, not now. "I hate you! I wish you weren't my father! I wish you just gave me to my mom, at least she loved me!" she shouted at him. 

 

She turned her back on him, and ran up to her room. "Sunnee!" Chun called her. But he knew it's too late. He broke her daughter's heart again. 

 

--

 

Dylan stood in front of Sunnee's room again. He took a deep breath before knocking. "Sunnee?" he called. There was no response from her, so he knocked again. "Sunnee, can we talk?" he asked. "Go away!" she shouted at him. 

 

"Sunnee... I just want to talk. I saw what happened a while ago at school..." he said. Then, the door opened. Sunnee glared at Dylan before pushing him. "Stay out of my life! I don't need someone like you, OK?!" she shouted. Dylan tried to pacify him. "But I just want to help -"

 

Sunnee punched him in the face. "I told you before to mind your own business. Don't meddle in my life, and don't try to come into my life." she told him off. She smacked herself in the head as she head back to her room. "God, you're so annoying, when will you disappear?!" she said in a frustrated tone. . Then, Sunnee banged the door in front of him.

 

While nursing his face, Dylan stood by her door again. "I won't give up on you." he said loudly so she can hear. From behind that door, Sunnee was leaning and was able to hear what he was saying. She fell silent when she heard those voice. "I know  you had your reasons why you hit that guy. I just wanted to help to prove your innocence. Let me help you get out of this trouble, all right?" he said. 

 

"I told you, mind your own business, OK? I don't need your help!" she shouted at him. "No. I will help you." Dylan said. Then, he lowered his head. "I know, no one wants to believe you. But I do... I do believe in you. So let me help you. Let me understand you. Because from now, you are my sister, and I want to protect and take care of you." he told her. Then, he looked up at her door. "Will you let me?"

 

Sunnee was silent the whole time. She can't believe a stranger like him would care for her, unlike her father. But she knew better. She can't be vulnerable, and give her trust to someone like him. "No!" she shouted at him. "I want you out of my life. Stop meddling with mine, OK?" she shouted at him. 

 

Dylan let out a sad smile. "I won't give up on you..." he said in a low voice. "I'll keep on trying until you let me in to your heart..."