Grateful

Loyalty
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Major Oh Sehun lied awake in his bed, staring room up at the ceiling of his private quarters.

 

This was the last night he would spend on the military base he had grown to know and love. Yes, he had been deployed to a lot of different bases around the world, but the army base here in Korea was what he had called home for the past 8 years. He would miss it dearly.

 

However, the soldier strongly believed that it was time to retire from the military. Unlike most Korean men who waited until they were a little older before they did their mandatory military duty, Sehun had jumped right into the army life right after high school.

 

Despite those around him who thought differently, Sehun knew his purpose in life was to help people. So even after his required two years were up, the man stayed in the military and worked his way up in ranks. His superiors were amazed by his willpower, integrity, and strength. The son of a criminal wasn’t expected to be much in life, but that is exactly what drove Sehun to prove society wrong. It didn’t matter where you came from, only where you are going.  For someone like Oh Sehun, the only direction he could go was up.

 

Sehun rolled over when he heard the sound of his phone going off. A thick arm reached for the device on the bedside table. Smiling at the name displayed, the major answered the phone.

 

“This is Major Oh.”

 

The deep laugh on the other line brought a smile to Sehun’s face.

 

“You’re so ing annoying. Why answer the phone like that when you know it’s me? You like rubbing it in my face that you’re a big important major now?”

 

Sehun sat up in bed, a wide grin on his face now, “Maybe.”

 

Another laugh, “You’re a . But at least you’re honest.”

 

“I’m only a according to you, Chanyeol,” Sehun smirked, “Everyone else says I’m a nice guy.”

 

The older man scoffed through the phone, “That’s an understatement. You’re a ing angel compared to us regular people.”

 

Sehun smiled at his best friend’s comment, “I appreciate the compliment, hyung.”

 

“That wasn’t a compliment, Hun. That was a fact. You’re a blessing.”

 

The soldier didn’t respond for a moment. The weight of Chanyeol’s comment heavy on his mind. Sure, Sehun tried to be the best person he could be, but be called a ‘blessing’ seemed....wrong. It didn’t fit in the same sentence as his name. A blessing suggested that his existence made a person’s life better, that he mattered.

 

No.

 

Sehun was no one’s blessing.

 

“Anyway, I called to tell you that I won’t be able to pick you up from the airport tomorrow now. I’m sorry.”

 

“It’s fine, Chanyeol. I’m a big boy now. I can find my own way without someone holding my hand,” Sehun joked before turning serious again, “Is everything okay though?”

 

Chanyeol sighed, “Yeah, just some representatives from China are coming tomorrow instead of on Monday and want to meet. The company really needs this deal so I can’t miss it. I’m sorry.”

 

Sehun frowned, “Stop apologizing, Yeol. It’s no big deal. I’ll be fine. This is important.”

 

“You’re important too,” Chanyeol argued.

 

I’m not…

 

“Yeah, well, I’ll be just as important after you get done with you’re meeting. So don’t worry about it anymore okay? I’ll  just see you when you get home.”

 

“Okay. I’ll stop worrying,” Chanyeol said, “I can’t believe we get to see each other again after 6 years. I’ve missed you so much, buddy.”

 

Sehun smiled into the phone, “Me too, Yeol. Me too.”

 

~.~.~.~

 

The airport had been extremely busy when Sehun arrived. The soldier had got pushed and shoved in all directions by strangers trying to get to where they were going. Any other person probably would have gotten upset about being stepped on, but not Sehun. Sehun tried not to let small things like that ruin his day.

 

Once he got inside the car Chanyeol had arranged to bring him to the businessman’s home, Sehun texted his friend that he was headed there.

 

-Great! Jongin should be home now. I’ll let him know you’re on your way there.

 

-You sure you don’t want me to stay at a hotel? I don’t want to disturb you and your husband in your home.

 

-Shut up! You’re not staying in a damn hotel. We have plenty of room. Plus, it’s us who should be worried about disturbing you~ ;)

 

Sehun rolled his eyes at his friend’s ual innuendo.

 

Whether he wanted to or not, Sehun knew how high Chanyeol’s drive was. There were quite a few times back in high school when he had, unfortunately, heard the older having fun with his partners. He never brought it up to Chanyeol, but he was pretty sure the older knew Sehun could hear them.

 

But Park Chanyeol was never one to feel things like shame or regret.

 

-Gross. Please don’t make me listen to you your husband. My apartment will be ready next week. Can you keep it in your pants until then?

 

-I’ll try. Won’t make any promises though.

 

Sehun shook his head at the expected response. He knew Chanyeol had zero intentions of abiding by Sehun’s request for a quiet night's rest.

 

-I’ll buy earplugs.

 

-There’s already some in your room. :)

 

~.~.~.~

 

Sehun expected Chanyeol’s home to be big, so when the driver stopped in front of a very large 3 story house in a neighborhood Sehun could never afford to live in, he wasn’t surprised in the slightest.

 

He tipped the driver and unloaded his suitcases from the back, politely declining the assistance the driver tried to give. After thanking the driver once more, Sehun approached the front door.

 

If this were 8 years ago, the soldier would have just let himself in. Nothing that belonged to Chanyeol was off-limits to Sehun. That was something the older had reminded him constantly when they were younger.

 

But Chanyeol was married now. So this house didn’t just belong to him. It belonged to Jongin too.

 

He knocked on the wooden door and waited for a moment. When no one answered, Sehun wondered if Jongin was there like Chanyeol said. He rang the doorbell just in case.

 

“Coming,” came a voice.

 

Sehun straightened his posture out of habit. Even though Chanyeol married Jongin 6 years ago, Sehun had never officially met the other male. Chanyeol started to talk to Jongin right before the two of them headed off to the military. The older talked about Jongin non-stop the entire two years he served. He vowed to marry Jongin as soon as he got out, but Sehun thought Chanyeol was just joking. He was shocked when the next thing he knew, Chanyeol was calling him asking his opinion on wedding themes.

 

Sehun was happy that Chanyeol found love. The older deserved everything he wanted in life and the soldier vowed long ago that he would do everything in his power to make sure Chanyeol stayed happy. He owed him at least that much.

 

The sound of the door opening brought Sehun back to the present. He put on the signature smile he wore in public and in pictures.

 

Sehun’s smile faltered at the sight of the brown-eyed beauty standing before him wearing nothing but a fluffy white robe tied carelessly around his slim body. His dark hair was slicked back by the water dripping down to his neck and collarbone. Sehun watched a single water droplet roll down smooth, slightly tanned skin, and disappear into the material of the robe.

 

The soldier swallowed the large lump in his throat.

 

“Oh...um...s-sorry. I think I have the wrong house. I’m...I-,”

 

Sehun hadn’t been this nervous since a 12-year-old Chanyeol first introduced him to his rich and loving parents. Chanyeol had been sneaking a 10-year-old Sehun in and out of his family’s home for over a month before he finally convinced the younger to use the front door and officially meet his parents. Sehun didn’t have nice clean clothes like Chanyeol and wasn’t smart like Chanyeol, but just as the older boy had promised, Chanyeol’s parents welcomed him with open arms. No questions asked.

 

“Sehun? You’re Sehun,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter