Day 1 Part 3

Falling For You

 

The ball easily left Wonyoung’s hand as she swiftly jumped up and rebounded the ball scoring the final shot of the practice. Her sneakers landed with a thump, both body temperature and her temper high. 

 

She was going to kill Ahn Yujin. 

 

She had an inkling that the older girl would skip basketball practice again. She wasn’t stupid and she had noticed that Yujin hanged out with their seniors more often ever since she joined the dance club. 

 

Of course it wasn’t like she was jealous of her seniors or anything....

 

With Yujin not around she was able to focus on the basketball drills(though it was less fun), was able to finish her homework more quickly, and she had more time for herself. Granted there were times when she missed her- after all, they were best friends since high school. Anyone would miss a constantly persisting presence if it were the Ahn Yujin, after all. Wonyoung first met Yujin during their first year of high school, when she randomly called her out on how tall she was. 

 

“Hey youre pretty tall? By any chance would you be interested in basketball?”

 

Of course Wonyoung was quite flustered, sports had never crossed her mind. For the majority of her life she focused on music and education- to become a teacher like her dad. Yet she wasn’t able to say no to the puppy like girl, and followed her to the gym. There she tried out and became a key player for the next 3 years of her life. 

 

She had spent those three years playing basketball with Yujin in mind. She learned and cultivated her skills and became the teams best Center player. Wonyoung had spent two years following Yujin around and had spent her grad year training with the older girl. Wonyoung had spent all that time taking care of the older girl, bandaging her wounds and being her crutch when the older girl would push herself too hard. Wonyoung could still recall the moment where Yujin pushed herself too far during her senior year and had sprained her ankle. Of course Yujin had tunnel vision, was a procrastinator, and most likely a negative influence on Wonyoung, yet the younger girl willingly decided to spend all the time with Yujin. Inevitably she followed Yujin to the same University as well. 

 

Of course she didn’t expect Yujin to apply for a fine arts course. She honestly thought the overly energetic girl would apply there with a basketball scholarship. With all her attention on basketball the younger girl had forgotten that Yujin had spent her time composing during her gap year. Nevertheless Wonyoung was ecstatic to be in the same program with Yujin. 

 

She knew that at this point she’d probably follow Yujin into the pit of hell if she went there. Wonyoung gripped her shorts tightly as a realization slowly dawned on her. Basketball was their connection- essentially their “red string of fate”. If Yujin stopped showing up to practice....

 

Deep in her brooding, Wonyoung faintly registered the captain bringing practice to a close. The seniors headed to the locker room leaving her(the sole junior) to clean up the gym. Wallowing in her thoughts, Wonyoung began to pick up all the balls and tossed them into the basket. 

 

It was just so ironic, Wonyoung chuckled. I was the one who pushed her to join the dance club anyways. 

 

“Ahhhh....Who knew you’d bother me to this extent Ahn Yujin.”

 

She then rushed to clean the gym and head to the Bakery, hoping to get Eunbi to cheer her up. 

 

-

 

It was during an evening outdoor open house session the dance club held, where Yujin first exposed herself to dancing. Yujin kept staring at the club with curiosity and sheepishly smiled at the younger as she was unable to listen to her explain the concept of the Baroque Period properly. Their textbooks and notes littered the wooden picnic table. And Wonyoung knew she was making no progress at all with this tunnel Yujin who was drawn into her tunnel vision yet again. 

 

“Yah, If your that curious then just go on ahead! You might as well join them if you can’t even listen to me.”

 

“Ahaha, sorry Wonyoungie. I promise I’ll make it up to you and buy you a tub of mint choco ice cream!”

 

Wonyoung nudged the older girl and pushed her to join the dance session. She watched Yujin shyly approach them. Few minutes later Yujin was being taught the moves to what seemed like a hip hop dance routine. After a few more run through’s through some specific leg and arms actions, the group decided Yujin was prepared to dance with them. 

 

One of the members went up to the speakers and the song started. Wonyoung recognized it as “Good Boy” and began to tap her foot along with the music. Her eyes followed Yujin’s movements- impeccable leg and arm coordination, and she had a good sense of timing as well.  

 

Guess she has a knack for dancing too. 

 

As the short rendition of the song came to a close the other members congratulated Yujin and praised her about her quick motor learning skills. Wonyoung could only scoff at Yujin’s denials of “I’m not that good” or “I’m not cut out to be a dancer.”

 

Yujin practically aced anything that didn’t include books. Knowledge that could be obtained by actually listening in class was obviously not one of her strong suits. Wonyoung had to eventually drag Yujin away so they could continue their tutoring session before the older would end up flunking out of University. 

 

After that dance session Wonyoung would occasionally see Yujin hanging around the dance members and their designated “speaker controller.”(who she later learned was Hyewon Unnie). Wonyoung would occasionally sneak out of basketball practice to check up on her Yujin. After all, she spent the majority of her high school years making sure the older girl didn’t get taken advantage of by her fangirls. 

 

Wonyoung couldn’t deny that Yujin did look somewhat more happier at the dance club. Her crescent smile occurred more often and she even laughed more with the other dance club members. She looked refreshed when she danced and her eyes practically lit up in excitement whenever she successfully pulled off a difficult move. 

 

Yujin looked more alive than ever, and Wonyoung could never ever take that away from her. 

 

-

 

Wonyoung had gradually learned the dance members names and befriended them. To her confusion the club only had 4 members and Yujin had become their 5th. 

 

Yena was a blond second year student that basically became Yujin’s partner in crime with procrastinating and pulling pranks. They always had the most ridiculous and stupid ideas and were constantly scolded by the teachers. 

 

Chayeon was the groups choreographer and was surprisingly not as strict as Wonyoung had originally thought. As a 4th year student she was constantly studying or working on choreographies. She considered the 2nd Mom of the group as she always bought snacks and home cooked meals for them all. Chayeon also seemed to never have any time to herself. 

 

Chaewon was the responsible fool of the group. She occasionally would indulge herself with Yujin and Yena’s antics, but if it ever became too risky she would reel them back in. Wonyoung had become quite close to the girl as she would always hang out with Eunbi as the older girl worked. 

 

Eunbi was the groups leader and everyone’s designated Mom. She was constantly scolding the younger girl’s and was always there to lend a helping hand. Eunbi also worked part time at the local bakery on campus. 

 

Wonyoung trusted them all and left Yujin in their care. As Yujin began to spend more time with them, Wonyoung manage to befriend a new set of shy seniors. She had accidentally walked in on Yuri and Minju when they were practicing in the practice room she had previously used. She of course apologized profusely, but the duo said they didn’t mind and invited her too watch. Wonyoung was quite surprised as she knew about Kim Minju. She had a dedicated population of juniors that would often rave about her visuals. Yuri on the other hand was someone she never knew before. Granted, she definitely knew she had seen her before....somewhere. And it wasn’t because she definitely looked like Chaewon or Yena. Yuri had a strong supportive voice with a register that seemed to shine with her lower range. Her vocal quality wasn’t quite husky, but it wasn’t too light either. By the end of the practice Wonyoung had befriend the duo and learned why they were practicing vocal sections of an English song. Minju majored in The Fine Arts of Theatre and songs from that play were assigned as an assignment. Yuri on the other hand was a Vocal Arts Major, and decided to help out Minju with any vocal parts in the play. Wonyoung found their playful banter enjoyable and was quickly able to join the rhythm of their conversations. 

 

From that point on they all agreed to occasionally hang out at lunch or meet Wonyoung who was always at the bakery in the evening. 

 

-

 

As Wonyoung locked the doors to the gym a familiar laugh echoed through the hallway along with the heavy footsteps of a couple of students. Wonyoung turned around the corner and was surprised to see Chayeon with 3 students she had never seen before. 

 

Noticing her presence Chayeon eventually calmed down and greeted the younger girl. “Oh hey it’s been a while Wonyoung. How have you been?” Chayeon raised an eyebrow as she noticed the absence of a certain puppy. “Yujin’s not with you today?”

 

“No, I thought she went to the dance club room?” Wonyoung tilted her head in thought. “But if you’re here then that means there’s no club today?....”

 

Chayeon watched the gears slowly turn inside the younger girl’s head. There was only one other place Yujin would have gone if she went club skipping. Shaking her head Chayeon placed a comforting hand on Wonyoung’s shoulder. “If it makes you feel any better I’ll give her an extra hard scolding next time I see her at dance club practice.”

 

“Thanks i'd appreciate it.” Wonyoung gave a small smile. She glanced at the 3 awkward girl’s who were still hiding behind Chayeon. She waved at them and stared at Chayeon in expectation. Chayeon noticed her appointed gaze. She stepped aside and gestured towards the Japanese trio to introduce themselves. With their broken Korean Wonyoung had trouble understanding them, but she got the gist of it. She introduced herself as well and checked her phone for any messed texts from Yujin the time. 

 

As the group chatted for a bit more Wonyoung finally noticed that the group had split up with their arms interlocked with another’s. Hitomi had comfortingly looped her arm with Nako’s and was slightly leaning on the younger girl. Chayeon on the other hand kept fiddling with her clothes as Sakura loosely held their hands together. At the sight of skinship Wonyoung began to crave the weight of a particular puppy on her shoulders. 

 

Chayeon stiffly began to swing her and Sakura’s clasped hands. “I’m assuming you’re gonna go to visit Hyewon in the gaming club room now?”

 

Wonyoung shook her head. “Nah, I think I’ll just head off to the bakery and visit Eunbi Unnie. She must be real stressed over her work schedule getting mixed up.” And I still need to ask her for advice...

 

The entire group noticed how Hitomi’s eyes lit up once the word bakery left Wonyoungs mouth. Sakura and Nako giggled at their fellow transferee and looked at Wonyoung expectedly. Hitomi eagerly rushed to Wonyoung side with a sparkle in her eye. 

 

“May I come with you Wonyoung?”

 

“Sure Hitomi!” Wonyoung glanced at the other transferees as well. “Would you guys like to go there as well?”

 

Sakura and Nako nodded at Wonyoungs question. Chayeon let Sakura’s hand slip out of her grasp and turned towards Wonyoung. “Guess I’ll leave these 3 in your care for now. I’ll head on over to the gaming club and fetch our trio of idiots.”

 

With a quick wave of her hand Chayeon rushed out of the hallway and into the direction of the gaming club room. Chayeon did a quick 180 and popped her head out from around the wall. “Also could you inform Eunbi that I won’t be able to attend dance practice today?” Chayeon then smiled at the Japanese trio and spoke Japanese. “Meet me near the statue near the dorms once you guys grab dinner.”

 

They all nodded in confirmation towards Chayeon and bid her farewell. Turning towards the Japanese trio Wonyoung gestured to the stairway at her side. “Shall we go get Hitomi her bread now?”

 

-

 

The door to the practice room opened open with a creak as a semi worried Minju stepped into the room. “Yah, Jo Yuri! You skipped dinner again! If you’re going to work on your composition, at least eat while you do it.” Minju huffed at the poor state Yuri was in. “Honestly, it’s just the beginning of a new semester- you don’t need to get so gung-ho without me.”

 

Yuri had once again trashed the room. Papers were crumpled all over the place and Yuri seemed semi dead as she laid on the piano, clinging to a sheet of paper that contained lyrics. Her soul seemed drained as she brushed her back and blankly stared at Minju. “I was so close Minju......so close to having something real good here.” Yuri then showed her the scrap piece of paper she had originally found. 

 

Minju reaches for the paper and quickly scanned its contents. She raised an eyebrow at the doodles, but she gave a hum of approval when she spotted the tiny section of lyrics. She handed the paper back to Yuri and began to drag her out of the piano stool. 

 

“Yahhhhh. Cmon let’s head to the bakery. We’re going to at least get you some energy. And who knows- Wonyoung is probably moping at the Bakery again.”

 

At the mention of their precious junior, Yuri began to get her act together. Letting out a huff of annoyance, she began to pick up the scattered papers and shove them in her backpack without a care. She carefully folded the single piece of paper sent from god himself into her jean pocket. Yuri then let Minju drag her to the Bakery- stomach and heart quite empty. 

 

-

 

Chaewon could only smirk in amusement as Eunbi huffed along the counter, tidying up the store. The older girl had a frown on her face that appeared to become more prominent the more she cleaned the store. Chaewon lifted her cup of coffee and let out a small hum of content as the caffeine flowed through her veins. Eunbi simply stared at the younger girl, rolled her eyes, and went back to work. 

 

“Y’know if you keep frowning like that you might just have it permanently.”

 

“Then i'd really fit the part of scary dance leader of the group then.”

 

“Aww don’t say that Unnie, you’re our cute little mama rabbit.”

 

She then picked up a wrapped mini baguette and pressed it close to the younger ones neck. “Yah. Kim Chaewon. Do you wanna die?” Eunbi kept glaring at Chaewon, keeping her act up. 

 

Chaewon once again smirked and leaned foreword into the edge of the bread packaging. “Yeah I’m dying for your love.” Chaewon then snickered at the look of disgust and exasperation that flashed across Eunbi’s face. The older girl just tossed the mini baguette back into the basket and headed into the kitchen. 

 

Chaewon hesitantly called out to Eunbi’s retreating figure. “Really though, you need to ease up Unnie!”

 

Chaewon strolled through the empty bakery and listened to the soft jazz that played from the speakers. She leaned on a table at the cafe section of the bakery, a glazed look in her eyes and she thought back on the year. She decided to take a seat before her wandering thoughts would have her wandering on the floor. 

 

Eunbi had financial issues, she still wasn’t able to talk to Minju...at all, And Wonyoung still appeared to unknowingly drown herself in her emotions. To top it all off Yena and Yujin had been really intense with their pranks during the last few weeks(even Hyewon’s attempts at diverging their attention didn’t work). Letting out a sigh she finished her cup of coffee and tossed it at the garbage bin. 

 

It simply hit the rim with a subtle thunk, and rolled a feet away. Chaewon could only groan at the prospect of getting up to fetch the cup. 

 

“Glad to know your aim still .” Long limbs picked up the discarded cup and properly tossed it into the garbage bin. “You’re so fit, but you’ve never had good aim.”

 

Chaewon turned her attention to the door of the bakery. In all of her long limbed glory stood Wonyoung with 3 fresh new faces. A smile graced Chaewon’s face anyways, happy to see a familiar face that didn’t want to kill her due to their stress. 

 

“It’s been awhile, hasn’t it Chaewon Unnie?”

 

-

 

So sorry for the late update, but here it is? Lol felt kinda angsty so i went for the sad annyeongz route oof.

Hopefully my updates will be more consistent. My Jazz Band portion of music festival season is finally over so thats a plus. 

Except music festival season isnt  really over yet and choir really will be the death of me. 8 part harmonies can off off.

ALSO VIOLETA IS A BOP WOAH