Exhaustion

One Year

The big announcement: Momoland will be having their comeback show on March 20th. The girls should be exciting and working their best for their performance but for the last fews days…

“Girls, hows your practice going- AHHHH!” The manager was shocked to see the girls, sitting down or laying on the group with soulless expressions on their faces. “What’s wrong girls?! Let me get Kai and see if- "

“NO!” They all shouted in unison.

Manager was shocked to hear their response, “Uhhhh okay. What happen? Did Kai do something wrong?”

Hyebin sighed, “It’s not like she’s doing anything wrong. She’s doing what a manager supposed to do but…”

She’s taking it too far!” Yeonwoo shouted. “First day: she tells me that I’m messy and I need to clean up my room.”

 “I mean she’s not-“

“Quiet JooE I don’t need to hear it!” With that JooE shut , “In addition, she made me clean up my room and actually organize everything!”

“Not only that she’s woke us up very early. 6:00 AM on the freakin dot! WE NEED SLEEP!” Daisy yelled. “I’m so grumpy hmph!”

“But worst of all….” Ahin paused, “SHE TOOK AWAY ALL OF OUR SNACKS! WE HAVE TO EAT FRUIT OR VEGGIES IN BETWEEN OUR MEALS! She’s depriving us of our snacks manager-nim!” It looked like Ahin was about to cry.

“Okay maybe the snack thing isn’t that bad and Ahin-unnie, just eat tangerines you love them.” Ahin pouted as Nancy made that remark, “But Yeonwoo-unnie and Daisy-unnie are right. Kai is taking her ‘position’ too far and it’s just tiring on our end. At least with you manager you give us a break and treats, but with her… we’re just tired. Plus, she doesn’t smile at all and it’s putting us on edge. Especially Nayun, I think she’s scared of her.”

Nayun nodded, “Kai scolded at me because I talked on the phone too long late last night. She’s like a monster. A cold expressionless gray monster.”

“Gray?” Manager asked.

“Yeah! Her sense of fashion is just… bland. She’s always wearing a collar shirt and dress pants and shoes within the colors of black, gray, and white. There’s no flair, there’s no pop.” Taeha explained, “And it’s doesn’t help that she always has a stern face. So she’s basically a… statue.”

“Yeah, Jane-unnie is cold too but at least she has a kind heart and cares about us.” JooE pointed out.

“Hey! JooE!” Jane pouted.

“But it’s true tho. At least you treat us nicely and you give us kindness. Even tho you can be a bit of a tsundere when it comes to affectionate.”

“Alright enough girls!” Manager interjected, “Look I know it’s hard to adjust to Kai’s… methods of management but she’s doing her best in her own way. In addition, she’s in a new environment. You can’t expect her to be herself all of a sudden. Actually… I’m not sure if this is her true self.”

“If it is we’re doom.” Nayun whined.

“Just give her a chance girls. She’ll turn around eventually. You just gotta get to know her better, alright?” That’s tough to do if you heard what she said on the first day. All of them thought, “Anyway, I still expect you girls to put in effort into your practices and promotions. Your comeback will be here anytime soon.”

“Yes Manager-nim!” And with that they went back to practicing.

Little did they know a lil bird was hearing all the conversations. “Ah geez.” She sighed and went back to we spreadsheets on her laptop.

After a long day of promoting and practicing, the girls finally made it to their dorms. “Yayyyy homeeee! Bedtime!” JooE shouted.

“Congrats girls we did our duties today. I think we all deserve a good shower, dinner and some rest!” Hyebin exclaimed, “How about some fried chicken?”

“OMG YESSSS THANK YOU HYEBIN UNNIE YOU’RE A GODDESS!” Yeonwoo said excitedly, “Yay! Chicken chicken chicken~”

“Well I call the shower first~” Nancy said.

“No fair, Nancy! I want the shower first!” Ahin exclaimed. Suddenly all the girls scramble to fight for the shower.

Meanwhile, Nayun and Yeonwoo stayed back to get started on dinner. Nayun went into the kitchen and with Yeonwoo following until she spotted something on the couch, “Eh? Did Daisy fell asleep on the couch again?” Yeonwoo walked over, “Hey wake up sleepy- AH!”

Nayun ran quickly as she can, “I heard you yelp! What’s wrong- ahh it’s the monster!”

Nayun and Yeonwoo are surprise to see Kai sleeping peacefully on the couch. Laptop and papers on her body as she snoozed away, “Wow, I never seen her like this.” Nayun poked at Kai’s cheek, “She’s kinda cute when she’s not scolding at us and being mean.”

“Who knew a tightass like her would just fall asleep on the couch like that? I guess she finally crash from exhaustion. Come on let’s take her to the room.” Yeonwoo closed Kai’s laptop and put the papers on the table. Then she grabbed her arms while Nayun helped with the legs. The two of them walked to the room and tucked Kai into bed.

After that, Nayun returned to the kitchen while Yeonwoo went back to the living room and grabbed the rest of Kai’s stuff. As she gather her stuff, Yeonwoo notice a paper that says “Schedule for the Day.” She picked it up and read it over, her eyes widen, “Wow, I never knew how much she does for us. God now I feel bad.”

Yeonwoo went back to her room and looked at Kai sleeping peacefully on the bed, “Waking up at 5:00, cleaning the dorms, making for yourself and for us. And here we thought you were just being strict on us and not being caring.” Then Yeonwoo thought of a nice idea, “I know!”

Kai’s eyes open. She yawned as she sat up and stretch her arms, “Hmmm, what time is it?” She grabbed her phone and realized it’s 5:10 AM. “Ah f-ck I’m ten minutes late waking up. And I slept in my work clothes. Damnit they’re wrinkled.” Kai went and changed into her shorts and shirt and went into the kitchen.

She smelled something. “Huh? Is someone up already?” She peeked into the kitchen and saw that Yeonwoo is making pancakes, “Yeonwoo-unnie? You’re up?”

Yeonwoo looked back and smiled, “Morning Kai. Glad you sleep well last night.”

“What time did you wake up?”

“Around 5 am.”

Kai scratch her temples, “Why didn’t you wake me up as well? I have tons to do in the morning before waking all you girls up.”

“Well,” Yeowoon made a plate of pancakes and set it for Kai, “I thought about how much you do for us and how early you wake up so I decided to let you sleep in a bit before you do your usually stuff. I was gonna wake you up at 5:30 but seems like you’re your own alarm.” She poured a cup of coffee and set it by Kai’s plate. “Now eat up.”

Kai was hesitant at first but her stomach took over and just gave in. She sat down and ate her pancakes, “Thank you Yeonwoo-unnie.” There’s an awkward tension between the two girls, “You know, I accidentally over heard you girls yesterday when you and the manager were talking.”

Yeonwoo froze, “U-Uh how much did you hear?”

Kai stopped eating and paused for a moment, “...all of it.”

Yeonwoo gulped, “Well I am sorry you heard all that but it’s true! You are getting on our nerves and putting unnecessary stress on us. I know you said to keep it professional but would it hurt to say something encouraging to us instead of scolding us for not being ‘proper’. Is that too much to ask?”

Kai sighed, “I understand.” She took a sip of her coffee, “I apologize. I’m not use to managing a crazy group of girls or groups in general. So I didn’t know what to do other than sticking to a schedule and trying have you girls stick to it as well. Plus, it’s been a while…”

“A while for what?” Yeonwoo asked.

Kai was silent again, “Look let’s not talk about this again. I’m sorry for being strict on you guys but like I said I want this to be a professional experience. So no fun for me. But,” She sighed, “I’ll try to be more easy on you girls. I know how hard you all work and I’m proud of you all. So I’ll let you girls sleep in for ten minutes more.”

Yeonwoo sighed. Well it’s a start. “Thank you, Kai.” Then, a thought came into her head, “Oh, I was curious. You’re Asian American right?” Kai nodded, “If you’re not Korean American, what ethnicity are you? I-If you don’t mind me asking.”

Kai put her cup down, “I am Vietnamese American. I don’t speak my native tongue a lot but I know some basics.”

“Oh really? Can I hear some?”

Kai sighed, “Em đã ở một mình quá lâu.”

“What does that mean?”

“I-It means that I’m really tired.” Kai finished her cup of coffee, “I am gonna clean up and get ready. Just… take a break and be ready in about 20 minutes okay?”

Yeonwoo smiled again, “Okay~”. Yeonwoo sat on the couch and watched a bit of TV while Kai cleaned up and did her usually routine again.

Hmmm, does she really mean what she said?