Recovery

One Year

Things have finally calmed down now. The girls can relax for a little bit as Kai went a little easier on them and scheduling. All of them are sitting down taking a break from practicing. “I can finally sleep normally again!” Daisy exclaimed, “Well as normal as it could be with Kai.”

 

“Yeah! I can finally be at peace and not hear Kai lecturing me for sleeping in too late all the time.” JooE smiled.

 

“I don’t know JooE. Maybe Kai lecturing you could help you learn to wake up on time. That way I don’t have be your alarm clock all the time.” Nancy teased.

 

“Awww Nancy you’re being mean!” JooE pouted. She playfully punched Nancy as she laughs.

 

“And I am very thankful to at least have some of my snacks back in the dorms.” Ahin asked as she takes a bite of her chips, “Yeonwoo-unnie how did you do it?”

 

“I don’t know. I just saw schedule for herself and I saw how much work she does for us and how early she wakes up. So I decided to wake up earlier than her and just help out a bit. Been doing so for the last couple of days.” Yeonwoo explained.

 

“Wow, really? That’s amazing Yeonwoo-unnie.” Jane said.

 

“That and maybe the pancakes I make her every morning as she wakes up.” Yeonwoo giggles.

 

The others widen their eye in shock, “R-Really?”

 

“Maybe.” Yeonwoo smirked, “I know she’s mostly expressionless but I swear I see a bit of satisfaction on her face. And maybe a slight smile.”

 

“Don’t be delusional Yeonwoo-unnie.” Nayun said, “Even if she did relax on us on the scheduling, she’s still a scary monster. Still yelling at me for talking too late.” She pouted.

 

“Either way. I guess she’s starting to relax a bit herself.” Yeonwoo smiles, “I really hope it was the pancakes.”

 

“Hmmm.” Ahin went into her bag and grabs a small pack of donuts, “You think if I give her a donut, she’ll take us out for ice cream?” Everyone shrugged. Then the door opened and Kai entering with her laptop in her arm. “Perfect timing. Time to test it out.”

 

“Hello girls. I hope you took a nice break since y’all be practicing more in a bit.” Suddenly, Kai felt Ahin hugging her back. She sighed, “What is it Ahin-unnie?”

 

“Hey Kai~” Ahin smiles and lifted the donut and put it in front Kai’s face, “I got a nice donut for you~ It’s yours if you can take all of us to ice cream please?” Ahin asked while being cute.

 

Kai’s eye did not leave her screen, “I am on a diet, Ahin.” Then she snatched the donut out of Ahin’s hand, “And so are you. I was easy on you with light snacks and but nothing heavy. Now give me the rest of the donuts please.” Ahin pouted and have the rest to Kai.

 

“Thank you. Now,” Kai looked at her watched, “Girls, your break is up. Keep on practicing for about another hour. Then I’ll give you girls another 10 minute break before we go to photostudio to get your pictures ready for the new album.”

 

“Yes Kai!” All of them said with motivation. Then they all got up and started practicing again.

 

Half way through the practice, Taeha was starting to feel unwell. “Ugh.” She stepped to the side and staggered. Her head started to hurt. What’s happening. As she took another stepped, she started to trip. Luckily, Kai caught her in Ike before she hit the floor. Taeha was surprised to be in Kai’s arm, “K-Kai?”

 

“Taeha-unnie! What’s wrong?” Kai asked worriedly.

 

“I feel dizziness… I feel weak…” Taeha closed her eyes and held onto Kai tighter.

 

Kai sighed, “I probably overworked you. Can you stand?” Taeha shook her, “Okay, sit out for the day. I’ll take you to the doctor after practice.” Then, Kai lifted Taeha up and carried her to the side of the room. She gentle prop her against the wall. Then Kai turned to the girls, “You all continue practicing. I’ll help with Taeha-unnie in the meantime. Do not worry about her.” The girls nodded and continued on.

 

Kai went to her backpack and pulled out a water bottle. She went to Taeha’s side, “Here I didn’t use it. It’s fresh.”

 

Taeha slowly reaches out for the bottle and grabbed it. She opened it up and drank some water, “Thank you Kai.”

 

“I’m just looking out for you girls. Health comes first. Nothing more. So just rest up.” Kai sat down distant from Taeha and continue to work on her laptop.

 

Taeha takes another sip of the water bottle. She sets the bottle down and closes her eyes and dozed off to sleep. As she naps, her body slowly slips down to the floor. Luckily, Kai caught her again. She sighs, “This girl I swear.” She gentle sets Taeha body to the floor. Then Kai went into her backpack again to retrieve a towel. She folds it nicely and puts it under Taeha’s head.

 

After that, Kai continues to work. Suddenly Taeha’s arm twitch and moved on top of Kai’s arm. Kai looked and shrugged her off. Then, it happened again and Kai grabbed it and sets it down. Kai tried to scoot away but Taeha caught her again. Kai grunted, “This is stupid.” Kai stayed put and set Taeha’s arm down again. Then she put the backside of her hand onto Taeha’s forehead. “Hmm no fever. Maybe she’s just exhausted.” Kai patted Taeha’s head and continued her work. Without her noticing, Taeha smiled.

 

Yeonwoo looked from afar and saw the scene. She furrowed her eyebrows. Lucky Taeha. She gets Kai’s attention. Suddenly, she realizes her thoughts. Huh? What’s wrong with me? Why do I feel… a bit upset? She got distracted and missed a step from the dance.

 

Nancy notices and quietly walks over to Yeonwoo sides. She talks quietly with her, “Yeonwoo-unnie, you missed a step? Is there something on your mind that’s distracting you?”

 

Yeonwoo shook her head, “N-No, I was… too into my thoughts that I forgot the steps.”

 

“Well focus unnie! Or else Kai might yell at us again.” Nancy giggled and went back to her spot.

 

Yeonwoo sighed, “Yeah…” She cleared her mind and went back into the groove practicing. Yet, that irritating feeling still lingered inside of her.

 

 

 

“Andddddd stop! That’s it girls! You’re done practicing for the day!” Kai announced.

 

The girls cheered as they were finally finished dancing. However, Daisy was not cheering. She was coughing loudly.

 

“Daisy, please tell me you’re not getting sick as well.” Kai sighed.

 

“N-No I’m *cough* f-fine. I just *cough* need to catch my breath.” Daisy tries to take a deep breath but she couldn’t. She kept on coughing, each worse than the other.

 

“Daisy!” Kai yelled and went to Daisy’s side.

 

Then, Daisy got on her knees and coughed real bad into her hand. She finally took a breath in and calmed down. She pulled back and saw mucus in her hand, gross thick yellow mucus in her hand. She took another breath but she felt a slight pain in her chest, “Ow, my chest hurts.”

 

“Let me see your hand.” Kai grabbed Daisy’s hand and saw all the mucus on her hand. Kai felt concerned. “We need to take the hospital now!” She grabbed a napkin from her back pocket and wiped Daisy’s hand clean. Then, Kai stood up and went to Taeha’s side who was still sleeping. She picked her up bridal style and looked towards at Hyebin. “Unnie, please help Daisy-unnie to the car. I’ll take her and Taeha-unnie to the hospital and have them get diagnosed.”

 

“Understood Kai!” Hyebin helped Daisy up and all of them went to Kai’s car.

 

Daisy rode up front while Taeha slept in the back. After buckling Taeha up, Kai rushes to the drivers seat until Yeonwoo stopped her, “Wait let me come along as well.”

 

Kai sighed, “No point in arguing right now. Okay hurry.” Yeonwoo nodded and went to the back with Taeha, “The rest of you! Stay here until I get back! I’ll call manager-nim and tell her what’s going on. Bye girls!” With that Kai jumped in and drove off.

 

All the girls had worried faces. “Oh god I hope Daisy and Taeha are okay.” Nayun said.

 

“Yeah, our comeback will be here soon.” Jane pointed out. “We need all 9 of us here or we’ll disappoint our Merries.”

 

“Jane-unnie, don’t think about the comeback right now.” Ahin said, “Focus on hoping that nothing is wrong with Daisy and Taeha-unnie.”

 

“I really hope nothing is too serious.” JooE said.

 

“Me too JooE.” Nancy said as she hugs JooE for comfort, “I hope so too.”


 

At the hospital, Yeonwoo and Kai were in the waiting room. Yeonwoo was nervously fidgeting while Kai just sat there with her arms crossed. Then the doctor came into the room, “Alright the tests are back and we have identified the issues concerning with Miss Kim Taeha and Ms. Yoo Jung Anh.”

 

Kai got out from her seat and went to the doctor, “Is it serious?”

 

“Nothing too serious. Miss Kim Taeha has iron deficiency anemia, meaning she lacks iron in her blood which prevents the red blood cells to carry out oxygen for the body. Miss Yoo Jung Anh on the other hand has pneumonia hence the heavy coughing and spewing out thick mucus.”

 

“Oh my god.” Yeonwoo said.

 

“Don’t worry with plenty of rest and medications, these two young ladies will be up in no time. For now, they need a break and focus on their health or they won’t recover properly.” The Doctor wrote a note and gave it to Kai, “Here is the prescriptions for them. I’ll give you some right now but if you run out, you can give this to the pharmacy.” The doctor smiled and left the two girls.

Kai folded the paper and put it in her pocket. Then she pinch the bridge of her nose, “Damnit…. and right before the comeback.”

“Kai it’s not their fault they got sick.” Yeonwoo pit her hand onto Kai’s shoulder, “Things are… just out of our control.”

 

“Yeah, that’s usually the case.” Kai frowned, “That always seem to be the case.” She whispered angrily.

 

“Did you say something?”

 

“No I’m just thinking.” Kai sighed, “I’ll make announcements post on social media about Taeha and Daisy’s not returning for this comeback for medicinal and personal reason.” Kai looked at Yeonwoo, “Go and tell the other girls what happen. Manager-nim too.” Yeonwoo nodded in agreement.


 

After all the events that occurred, the show must go on. While the rest of girls went to their photo shoot with their regular manager, Kai stayed at the dorms taking care of Taeha and Daisy. “You know you don’t have to stay with us Kai.” Taeha said as Kai prepares her medicine, “I can take care of myself and so can Daisy.”

 

“It’s fine. I’m mainly on my laptop so I can work from here.” Kai gave her water and her iron supplements, “Here take it.”

 

Taeha took the supplements and the water from her, “Thank you Kai. Thank you for everything you’ve done to me and everyone here. You’re a… good person.”

 

Kai sighed, “I am just an intern just doing my job. Nothing more nothing less. Taking care of you girls is part of my duties.” Kai got up from Taeha’s bed. She looked over to Daisy’s bed; she was fast asleep. “I’ll check up on you guys in 3-4 hours so you can take your medications again. I’ll bring soup but for now just rest. Don’t do anything.” With that, Kai left their room.

 

 

 

Daisy woke up a couple hours later. She stood up from her bed and stretched out her arms. Then she hardly coughed out mucus. She reached over to her side and grabbed napkins to wipe it off. She then grabbed a face mask and headed to the kitchen for some water.

 

As she walked passed the living room, she saw Kai on her laptop, her face full of stressed and annoyance as she facepalmed. “F-ck, why is this happening?! Why? Why? Argh!”

 

Is she… is she talking about our condition? Oh no! Daisy ran up to Kai, “Kai! Please don’t be mad at me and Taeha!”

 

“Daisy?!” Kai looked over and saw Daisy in the hallway. She set her laptop down and stood up, walking over to her side, “Daisy what are you doing up? You should be resting in your bed right now. And what do you mean you’re sorry? Sorry for what?”

 

“I-Isn’t that’s why you’re yelling? I saw you being angry and shouting why and I thought it was because of me and Taeha getting sick.”

 

“Oh.” Kai said flatly, “No that’s not it.”

 

“It’s not?!”

 

“No I’m getting angry at people on Twitter for not supporting you guys sitting out.” Kai sigh, “Look I told the company about your conditions and they broke out the news to many media and now everything is blowing up. I am happy to see that a lot of Merries still support the original 7 girls but I see a lot of Merries going away because it not the full 9. And that gets me frustrated.”

 

Suddenly Kai patted Daisy’s head which caught her out of surprise. “It’s not your fault. You and Taeha just got sick at the wrong time but people will understand. Now focus on your health.” Kai looked at her watch, “It’ll be the time to check up on you two so go back to bed. I’ll bring water, soup and your medications, okay?”

 

Daisy nodded, “Okay Kai! Thank you.” With that Daisy walked back to her room while Kai went to the kitchen and prepare some soup.

 

As Daisy walked to her room, a thought popped into her head. Kai is such a softie hehe. Daisy smiled at the innocent thought.