Perseverance

One Year

 

“You !”

 

“Nancy you’re such a disrespectful brat!!”

 

“You damn fat !”

 

“Did you gain weight? Cuz you look like a pig :p”

 

“Why don’t you just leave and never come back!!”


 

Nancy tried her not to sob loudly as she fights back tears while reading the comments. Why do people hate me? I did nothing wrong…

 

[THE NEXT MORNING]

 

Nancy stared into space, tiredness showed up on her face. The other girls were concerned as they saw that Nancy wasn’t her usual cheery self. And they definitely know it is not RBF that’s showing up right now. Something is off with her…

 

“Girls! Breakfast!” Kai yelled as she brought plates out to the table and set them in front of each girl one by one. When it came to Nancy, she did not react to it. No emotion nor action at all. Kai became confused, “Nancy, it’s breakfast time. Eat your food, please.”

 

“I’m not hungry.” Nancy spoke quietly. Kai widen her eyes while the girls almost spat out their food. “I don’t want to eat right now…”

 

There was silence for a moment. Then, Kai sighed, “Alright, you don’t have to eat right now. I’ll just put this in the fridge but do eat when you can.”

 

“May I be excused?”

 

“Drink water first then you can go. You don’t have to eat now but hydration is important.” Kai went to the kitchen and brought back a glass of water for Nancy. She drank the water and got up. Nancy bowed to Kai and her members and left the table, walking back to her room quietly.

 

“Kai, why did you let her go without eating breakfast?” Hyebin asked, “We’re going to have a busy schedule today!”

 

“I know unnie. I’ll have her eat an apple or a small snack before she leaves. She can skip breakfast but she needs something in her stomach to power through the day.” Kai said as she sips her coffee. What’s wrong with her…

[NIGHT TIME]

 

The girls have arrived from their busy day. They chatter away as they met up with Daisy and Taeha at the diner table. However, Nancy still had a somber expression to her face. The girls were really concerned. What’s bugging our maknae?

 

“Nancy…” JooE got up from her seat and walked over to Nancy. She then took a seat next to her. “Nancy, what’s wrong? What has gotten you so down?” All JooE got from Nancy was a sigh. “Nancy, please talk to me.” JooE placed her hand on top of Nancy’s hand.

 

“JooE…” Nancy gave her a slight smile, “I’m fine. I have a lot on my mind but I will be okay.”

 

“O-Okay..”

 

“Okay girls, I know y’all have been working hard and Daisy and Taeha have been progressing well in their health so you all deserve a treat.” Kai walked into the diner room with plates in her arms, “You guys get some steak for dinner. And for dessert, I’ll take y’all for ice cream. My treat.”

 

The girls cheered. “Yay!!! Kai you’re the best!” All the girls except for Nancy. Kai went and set the plates in front of each girl. When it came to Nancy, she immediately pushed it away from her. Kai pushed it in front of Nancy again only for her to push it away again. Kai was slightly annoyed.

 

“Nancy, I let it slip when you didn’t have to eat breakfast but you need to eat a proper meal this time. So eat up.”

 

“...can I eat a salad please?” Nancy ask quietly.

 

“Sure, Nancy. At least you’re eating something that isn’t a snack.” Kai tighten her apron. Yeonwoo and Daisy looked at Kai in bliss. She’s so cute in that apron.  “I’ll be right back.” With that, Kai return back to the kitchen.

 

Kai came back into the with a salad bowl in her hand. “Alright, Nancy. Here is a healthy helping of a special mixed that I whipped up. Enjoy your salad.” Kai placed the plate in front of Nancy and went to take her seat at the table. “Alright girls. Time to eat.” With that, all of them dug into their steak dinner.

 

All except for Nancy. She took a few bites of her salad and then she stood up. All the girls stopped eating and stared at Nancy. Kai grabbed a napkin and wiped , “Nancy, you didn’t finish all your salad. What’s wrong? Don’t you want ice cream afterwards?”

 

“I’m done with dinner and I don’t want ice cream. I’m going to sleep early.” Nancy left the table and went to her room.

 

“Nancy, come back.” Kai got up and followed Nancy. “Let’s talk and-” Before Kai could finish, Nancy closed her door and locked it up. “Ah well then.”

 

Kai went back to her seat at the table, “Come on, girls. Finish your dinner and I’ll still take you girls out for ice cream. I’ll buy something for Nancy and save it for her when she’s ready to eat it. So nobody eat it.” Kai took a bite out of her steak, “This definitely means you JooE.”

 

“Hey!” With that, everyone continued on with dinner while Nancy “slept” in her room.

 

Once everyone was asleep, Kai worked on her laptop and scrolled through Twitter to see what the Merries are talking about. Kai stretch her arms out, “To be part of any business, it is important to see what’s going on social media. It is mainly the job of a social media coordinator to utilize these platforms but it still can be used by anyone in the business and marketing field.” Kai grabbed her notebook, “Twitter is the most used platform in terms of fast news. While it could be unreliable, it spreads word very fast like wildfire.”

 

Kai put her notebook down and worked her way through Twitter as she looked through tweets with the key word ‘Momoland’. She mainly saw tweets that people would fan over about the girls and/or tweets she couldn’t understand. Suddenly, she found a couple of unpleasing tweets about the group. “Oh boy.” Kai kept on scrolling through and more unpleasing tweets that’s centered on bashing the maknae, Nancy. Kai pinched the bridge of her nose and sighed heavily, “So that’s why she’s not eating alot.” Kai closed her laptop and sat there in the dark for a while. Then, she grabbed her notebook and started writing, “I know what to do.”

 

[MORNING]

 

There was a knocking at the door of JooE and Nancy’s room. Nobody answered so the knocking continued. The knocking kept on going until Nancy woke up. Nancy groaned and looked at her clock, “Hhhhhh, it’s 5 o’clock in the goddamn morning.” Nancy got up and slowly made her way to the door. She opened the door and saw Kai at the door, still in her casual shirt and shorts. Nancy groaned again, “Kai, why are here this early in the morning? We have like an hour and a half until wake up time.”

 

“I apologize, Nancy. But I want to wake you up and have you join me in some errands that I need to do.” Kai explained.

 

“But why me?” Nancy whined.

 

“Well I figured it would nice to get know you since you are the same age as me. You know just talk and uh… talk.”

 

“Ahhh right…” Nancy thought about it, “I mean, I guess.” Nancy, “I’ll get ready right now.”

 

“Okay, meet me in the living room in 15 minutes. And I advise you to wear something comfortable. We will be out together for a long time.” Kai bowed and left Nancy to change. Nancy dressed up in a simple fashion: black jeggings and a white long sleeve with cute prints on the sleeve. She wore her tennis shoes seeing that if she’s with Kai for errands it means long walks.

 

After she was done, Nancy met up with Kai in the living room and she was shocked at what she was wearing. Kai wasn’t wearing her usually strict professional look. Kai was wearing tan jeans, a plain black windbreaker and black boots. Nancy jaws dropped as this is the most casual Kai has ever dressed since coming here.

 

Kai looked up from her phone and saw Nancy waiting for her, “Ah, good morning, Nancy. Is something wrong? You seem fazed.”

 

Nancy snapped out of her trance and shook her head. “N-No I’m fine. I’m just a bit tired from waking up way earlier than I should be.” She glared at Kai for a bit.

 

“I see. Well time is wasting.” Kai said as she looked at her watch, “Come on, let's go.”

 

“Wait?! Aren’t we gonna have breakfast first?!”

 

“We can grab something during our errand run but we need to go to meet up with manager-nim and CEO of MLD Entertainment.”

 

“Wait what? No breakfast?! How am I supposed to last the day? And why are you meeting with manager-nim and the freakin CEO?! Are we in trouble?”

 

“No, Nancy. Nobody is in trouble. I simply want to discuss about more social media strategies with the CEO. It’s about how to make you girls more well known as well as some observations I have made. And with manager-nim… I’m picking up my allowance from her to do some grocery shopping afterwards.”

 

Nancy groaned. Then why the hell am I being dragged into this?! “Anyway, put on your mask and hat and let’s go to the car. I don’t want to be late for our meeting just because we were flooded by fans.” Kai opened up the door and  went out, Nancy followed.

 

When they arrived at the MLD Entertainment building, Kai and Nancy entered into the lobby. There they were greeted by the receptionist who smiled brightly at Nancy and Kai. “Good morning to you two. May why up so early?”

 

“Just a simple meeting with CEO and Manager-nim. Nothing too serious just some reports and findings.” Kai explained, “Though I would like for you to entertain Nancy here as I’ll be leaving her here while I go into the meeting alone.”

 

“What?! Then why did you drag me here in the first place.” Nancy was getting cranky at this point.

 

Kai turned to her, “You’ll be helping me with errands today. This is part of that.”

 

“You could’ve picked me up later after the meeting! If I knew you were gonna go alone I couldn’t sleep in for a few moments!”

 

“I apologize but this will be quick.” With that Kai bowed to Nancy and left to the elevators.

 

Nancy pouted and sat down in the waiting area of the lobby. She took out her phone to kill time while Kai went and did her business. The receptionist smiled at Nancy, “You know I’m very jealous of you girls. You get to hang out with such a handsome girl.” She sighed, “Oh what I would do for just a date with her.”

 

Nancy looked up from her phone and stares at the receptionist, “Then why don’t you? I mean it would be great for us since Kai can still be a tight . She needs to go on dates to keep out of our hair and relaxation.”

 

The receptionist giggled, “oh honey I already asked out Kai many times as she comes here every week but no luck. Always the same ‘no need for relationship’ excuse. I just want a day with her.”

 

Nancy smiled, “Yep that’s Kai for ya. Always thinking of work to no limits. Someday she’s gonna get herself sick.”

 

“If she does send her my way. I know how to take care of sick handsome babies like her.”

 

Nancy shuddered at that statement. She’s a dangerous one. Good on Kai on avoiding a date with her. And on cue, Kai exited the elevator with an envelope in her hand. She walked over to where Nancy was, “I’m done with the meeting. Let’s go and eat. I’ll pay.” With that, they both exited the building.

 

“See you next week Kai. I hope your gorgeous face agrees to a date with someday.” She winked at Kai as they left the lobby.

 

Kai shuddered, “Crazy girl.” Then she turned to Nancy, “What do you wanna eat?”

 

Nancy just shrugged. “Anything is fine really. Just something…” she looked down at the ground, “light is good.”

 

Kai scratches her chin a bit, “Well alright there’s a small cafe not too far from here. Just a mile. Come on let’s get walking.”

 

“Wait we’re not going to take the car?!” Kai shook her head, “Why?! It’s easier to get there and much faster.”

 

“Getting breakfast is much more rewarding when you get it with effort.” Nancy couldn’t argue with Kai anymore knowing that Kai will not let her win so they walked to the cafe.

 

After arriving, they took a seat at an empty booth. “See it wasn’t that bad of a walk. Now order up and choose whatever you like.” Kai said as she handed a pouting Nancy a menu.

 

Nancy sighed as she looked at the menu. She shudders as she remember all those nasty comments about her. All of these look so heavy… “I-I think I’ll get the fruit salad. And a cup of orange juice.”

 

Kai glared at her, “Really? Fruit salad? Is that going to be enough?”

 

“Really, it’s plenty for me.”

 

Kai sighed at that statement. She then waved down the waiter to take their orders. “So we’ll get one fruit salad, one chicken omelette with a side of toast and jam, a side of waffles and for drinks just orange juice and coffee please.” The waiter smiled at the two girls and went to bring their orders.

 

After the food arrives and the girls thank the waiter for the meal, Nancy was about to dig into her fruit salad until Kai snatches it away. “Hey! What’s the big deal Kai?” Then she replaces it with the plate of waffles, “Eh? I thought that was your plate of waffles.”

 

“Nope I order it just for you because I knew you were gonna eat light.” Kai took a sip of her coffee, “I told you we’re gonna be out a long time so you must eat to have enough energy. Now stop complaining and eat your waffle.” With that, Kai grabbed her knife and fork and dug into her omelette. Nancy was about to grab syrup for her waffles until Kai snatched it away again. Nancy pouted, “Jam is better for you. And here some fruit for some balance.” Kai gave Nancy a couple of packets of strawberry jam and topped her waffles with blueberries and bananas.

 

“Thank you Kai.” Finally Nancy dive right into her breakfast and both of them ate their breakfast in peace.

 

After a fulfilling breakfast, Kai paid for breakfast and the pair went off. “So what now?”

 

“We need to get groceries for the dorm. Let’s go to this grocery store I always go to. They always have stuff we need plus we can get some great deals.” Kai imputed the name of the store and showed it to Nancy.

 

Let’s just say Nancy is not a happy bunny right now. “5 miles?! Kai we can’t walk that much! Call a cab or ask Manager-nim to bring the car around! We are not walking that far. It’s too tiring.”

 

“Come on Nancy let’s go.” Kai started walking. Nancy was about to yell at Kai but what Kai did really took her by surprise: Kai is holding her hand. Nancy only stares at Kai, “Look I’ll hold your hand the whole way. Think of it as support to push you to keep going. Even if your tired I won’t let go. Now let’s walk.”

 

“O-Oh okay.” With that, Kai and Nancy made their long journey to the grocery store, hand in hand.

 

As they walked, Nancy talked to Kai, mainly about shows and performances coming up. Then she asked a random question, “So what made you want to Korea? It’s pretty far from America. Don’t you feel… home sick?”

 

Kai was silent for a moment. “I wanted to see the world without confinement. I want to be free and do something worthwhile when I’m still young. I decided on Korea but with kpop being a growing industry, I knew it was the right place to do an internship regarding in management and business.”

 

Still as professional as ever. Though that freedom thing is not what I expected. “I’m surprised you want to intern this early in life. I would expect you to do it in like your last years of school.”

 

“Well I always believe it’s never too soon or too late to start things. So here I am managing you girls and the shenanigans that I have to put up with.”

 

Nancy giggles, “Well I’m still surprised you chose us. I would have thought you would pick the bigger companies like YG or SM. Hell even BigHit.”

 

“I mean I did get an offer to be a manager for Stray Kids under JYP but I want to be at a smaller company and help their groups get the word out and manage them. Plus like I said your manager like my resume and was enthusiastic about me joining. So I accepted.” Kai sighed, “I’ve gained a lot of experience within this last month and I learned a lot. Especially to check if JooE has any pranks in her mind.” Kai groaned.

 

Nancy just smiled, “yep that’s JooE for you. Always pranking. But it’s always because she wants to put a smile on someone’s face.”

 

“I guess but it’s unnecessary.” Nancy rolled her eyes at Kai’s professionalism again. “Anyway we should be arriving soon at the store. Maybe like another 2 miles.”

 

“Already? I didn’t think we walked that fast. I’m not even tired yet.”

 

“Must’ve been the waffles. I told you you needed more than a fruit salad. I know what’s for you girls. It’s my job anyway.”

 

Nancy looked at Kai with serious, “Kai is there ever a moment when you’re not thinking everything you do is a job?”

 

Kai thought for a while, “I guess when I sleep or when I take small breaks but most of the time I’m always on alert on taking care of you girls.”

 

“But doesn’t that get boring easily?”

 

“With you girls and seeing how something comes up everyday nope.”

 

“Yah! We don’t cause trouble all the time.”

 

“No but sometimes you girls attract trouble.” Nancy just lightly smack Kai’s arm while Kai just sighed. “Oh, we’re here.”

 

“Already?!” Nancy looked up and sure enough they arrived at the store. Then Kai let go of Nancy’s hand and was about to enter until Nancy grabbed her hand again. Kai looked back and gave Nancy a confused look. “U-uh I need you to hold my hand still because… I don’t want to get lost yeah! Plus,” she tiptoed to whisper, “what if someone recognizes me.”

 

“Ah, that's right. Well okay. Let’s go and get what we needed.” With that Kai and Nancy held hands throughout the store and it would be a lie if Nancy didn’t think she enjoyed the warmth of Kai’s hand.

 

After getting every item on Kai’s list it was time to go home. Each of them carried two bags, one in each arm. “Alright lets go back to the dorm. If you get tired of holding them let be carry your bags.”

 

“I should be fine Kai. I’m strong enough.” Nancy said with a confident smile.

 

After halfway of walking towards the dorm, Nancy is struggling to carry the bags, her arms are starting to shake. Kai noticed this and sighed. She stopped in front of Nancy and grabbed her bags. “Kai you don’t have to carry it all! I can manage.”

 

“Yeah right. You can’t fool me. I saw you shaking over there. Besides it’s no big deal, I’ve carried a lot of stuff in my life so I’m built for this.”

 

As Kai carried all the bags for Nancy, a random old lady walked by and saw the scene. “My, What a handsome girlfriend you have there. Such a gentleman for helping you carry those bags.”

 

Nancy panicked, “G-Girlfriend, m-ma’am you have-“

 

“Sorry ma’am. We’re not girlfriends. I’m just helping her carry some heavy stuff.” Kai interrupted.

 

“Aww but you too look like such a cute couple. Young love is such a blessing. Well you girls have a good day.” Kai and Nancy bowed to the old lady and gave their thanks. Then they proceed to go home.

 

As they walked, Nancy asked the burning question that was on her mind. “Kai, why did you bring me out today?”

 

Kai looked at Nancy and stood silent. She spoke, “Last night, I went on twitter as a way to apply my knowledge of how social media is a way to get words going. I looked up momoland and while a lot of people like you girls, I found some unpleasant comment about you.” Nancy gasped, “That’s when I connected the dots on why you won’t eat properly.”

 

Kai continues, “That’s why I brought you out today. It acts like a metaphor for life. The long route we took for the grocery store represents you life. The distance acts as factors that could hinder your life. Me holding your hand represents that support from friends and families that help you get through those that hinder your life. Our lives aren’t easy and we go through so much but it’s the support we get that helps us.”

 

“Oh I see.” Nancy got angry at Kai for nothing. All this time it was just to teach her a life lesson.

 

“Now next time when something bothers you, you have to tell me or the other members. We’re always happy to help but only if you be direct with us. Okay?”

 

“Yes. I understand.” Nancy smiled at Kai, “Thank you for today. For breakfast, for holding my hand, for the lesson.”

 

“No problem, I’m just doing my job.”

 

Kai and Nancy were crossing a crosswalk when suddenly a bag ripped in Kai’s arms and the items fell. Kai groaned, “Damn it, these bags are so weak.” As Kai stopped to pick up her items, she didn’t notice a truck driving at full speed.

 

Nancy looked back and saw the truck and Kai on the ground. She moved quickly on her feet, “Kai watch out!” Luckily, she pushed both of them out of the way in time. Unfortunately, half of the groceries were smashed by the truck.

 

Nancy landed on top of Kai. She blushed as she realized how close she is to Kai. “U-uh are you okay Kai? Geez you gave me a heart attack.”

 

“Yes I’m fine. Are you okay though? It looked like you took a big fall saving me.”

 

“I’ll be alright. I can’t say the same for our groceries though.”

 

Kai sighed, “I guess I’ll go to the store tomorrow.” Kai and Nancy stood up and wiped off any dirt on their clothes. Before Kai could walk, Nancy grabbed one bag from Kai and held her hand, “Eh?”

 

“Now that there’s only two bag I carry one while you carry one. That’s fair.”

 

“I get that but why holding my hand again? I already taught you the lesson today.”

 

Nancy puffed, “I’m letting you go until we get home. I don’t want to look back and see something bad happen to you again. Now let’s go home.” With that Nancy actually pulled Kai towards home.

 

Before they reached the dorms, Nancy felt Kai stopping her. She looked back and saw how Kai was looking at the gift shop. She went back and snapped Kai out of it, “Kai let’s go! We’re almost home.”

 

“U-uh sorry Nancy. I was a bit distracted. Maybe it means it’s time for lunch soon.” Kai pulled Nancy away form the store and towards the dorm. “Let’s go.”

 

Before leaving the shop’s window, Nancy caught a glimpse of what Kai was staring at. A gray bug cat plushy that’s eating a cookie. She smiled. So Kai likes cute plushie. More importantly, that cat one. Interesting

 

—————————————————————

 

This is wayyyy overdue since this was meant to release on Nancy’s birthday but you know school got me. Anyway thanks for being patience you guys and I hope you enjoy!