A Shining Tomorrow and the Eternal Sunshine

Insomnia is At 3 AM

Kyungsoo was scared. He was at a loss for words and was immobile, stuck in a standstill, unsure of his own fate. Full of resolve to kill Rx up until Kai's parents called, his purpose to continue fighting had been shattered. It was truncated by the sight of Rx still alive, but crushed by the genuine words of love Kai's parents spoke. Their words were sharper than knives and were lodged deep in his heart. Remorse and fear spoke to him and exiled his mind from reason. 

His fate was now a mystery. He lost all remaining control over his life and was now like a dandelion puff blown about by a sudden gale, not knowing where it would land. Would he fall to the depths of Gehenna? Would his soul be lifted up to paradise? Or would it land in a miry bog, continuing to exist in the mudflats of life here on earth? His face had been drained of all color as Rx approached him. It was not the result of his being a Vampire, but the result of acknowledging his end. Kyungsoo closed his eyes and hoped to see Kai be one of the first to welcome him in the next life. Rx stumbled and fell headlong before him, expulsing lots of blood out his mouth.

He laughed, "Looks like your friend saved you for now. I guess those silver bullets were the real deal, able to even nullify my self-healing powers. But, just give it a little while...and" he fainted.

 Kyungsoo didn't hesitate. He picked up the gun again and shot multiple times at Rx, but the empty clicks the gun made when he pulled on the trigger amplified the sense of despair: no more bullets left. His breaths were sharp gasps of air, he was nervous, asking himself what to do next since this was the shot of a lifetime, Rx being out cold. Once again, Kai helped him. Kyungsoo noticed Kai's old knife reflecting the moonlight atop a pile of dead leaves, guessing it landed there during the wild motions Kai carried out as he underwent the torture of his transformation into a monster. He clutched it with a tight grip, full of anger and sorrow. With his foot, he turned over Rx's body and braced himself for the final strike. "I won't forgive you!"

With his knife-wielding hand up and ready to kill, Kyungsoo aimed for Rx's heart, and with a powerful stabbing motion, he sliced through the wind in a manner that resembled a gavel pronouncing judgement. But, to his surprise, the feeling of stabbing into flesh was absent. Rx was gone. It couldn't be! He was just there, not even one second ago. It was surely the work of magic, or was it destiny? life playing tricks?

Kyungsoo stabbed at the ground countless times in frustration. The hilt eventually broke off the blade and he tossed it away. He got up, swept the sweat that gathered on his front away and walked over to Kai's corpse. It had turned human again during his moment of anger and disappointment, with Rx still remaining alive somewhere. He took off his gray jacket and covered Kai's ness, a final gesture of love for his brother.  He swore at himself as remorse churned his stomach. "I'm sorry for mutilating your body, Kai." 

He knew he had to leave, and though being unable to bury him properly distilled further anger, he had to leave if he wanted to enact his revenge. If he stayed around any longer, he was sure people would question his presence when looking at the various corpses around him.

Looking up, he could see the sky was lightening in color, now a much brighter blue. The sound of cars driving nearby and birds distracted him momentarily. He sighed and chose to run away from town on Kai's motorcycle. 

He rode off into the direction of the sunrise, uncertain of where to go. Everything was ambiguous to him now. The words "loneliness", "sickness", and "anxiety" echoed in his head, sticking to his mind like the chorus of a depressing yet comforting song. The only real reason he had to keep moving was revenge. Surely Rx was up to something if he saved himself, perhaps world domination, but now, enacting revenge was a greater reason than saving people he didn't even know or really care about. He did not simply want to foil Rx's plans, he wanted to murder Rx in cold blood. 

Yet, he was secretly yearning for the sunshine to clear away all the clouds of chaos, for it to heal his soul and miraculously return his brother to him. He was ambivalent, doubtful more than ever before, his psyche was like a poor drunkard tightroping over a gorge. What should he do? Where should he go? Home? He no longer had one. If he went back to his parents, they'd probably be killed by Rx. I just want to kill him and end all of this.

Eventually, after what seemed like hours of travel, the motorcycle's engine started to sputter. He was out of gas, with no signs of a gas station anywhere nearby. He turned his head to look left and right, only the rural scenery of thick and luscious grass met him. He was lost, not even having the fortune of knowing what time it was exactly, of knowing how much time had flowed away since he last saw Kai. Now laying on the grass with his arms folded beneath his head and the brilliance of the sun strongly shining down on him, he closed his eyes for a brief moment. In the span of two or three minutes, he could tell the sun hid somewhere behind the clouds, as the once intense brightness that was powerful enough even to be felt through his eyelids faded away. Reluctantly, he opened his eyes and felt light rain pelt at his cheek. No rest for him. He was sleepless again. 

Kyungsoo, with an expression of dissatisfaction, made his way to the motorcycle again. He couldn't just leave it there, on the side of the road. He continued to walk down the road with the rain constantly intensifying. It soon got strong enough that he was unable to keep his eyes widely open. The wind and pelting drops of rain hindered his eyesight, only allowing him to see through the small slits of vision he managed as he squinted. He knew he had to abandon the motorcycle. 

  "I'm sorry Kai. I really tried." he said with a melancholy tone.

Kyungsoo shielded his eyes with his right as he tapped the throttle with his left hand, intending for it to be a goodbye gesture. The parked motorcycle fell to its side. He sighed and picked it back up. You really don't want me to leave it behind, huh?

After saying farewell to Kai's last memento, Kyungsoo continued walking forward, not knowing where he would end up. He just kept walking and walking until he found himself in the middle of a dense forest, uncertain of how he'd gotten there. It didn't matter to him, though. Exhausted, both mentally and physically, he found a nice tall tree with many branches. It proved a safe haven from the battering rain. He sat, slouched against the giant oak with one leg outstretched and the other bent, an arm resting upon it. His breathing slowed and he closed his eyes. The sound of rain was calming and brought him peace. He heard the chirping of birds and the gentle blowing of the wind, all of nature's sound played like a lullaby to him.

 "Wake up!" a familiar voice called out.

 Kyungsoo opened his eyes, disgruntled from having his sleep stolen.

 "You awake yet?" the voice asked with a whisper.

 "I'm half-awake, Kai. Let me just sleep some more." Kyungsoo answered back with a drowsy voice and eyes shut. 

His eyes nearly came out their sockets once he realized what he said. Kai? How could that be? He hastened to turn around, but was stopped by the voice that spoke from the other side of the great oak, "Don't turn! I don't think you should see me like this!"

 Kyungsoo tensed his brows and clapped his cheeks in an attempt to determine whether this was all a dream or not.

 "It's, okay, bro! I'm here!"

 "How?! How- you, you! " he stammered.

 "Why, you scared? That I came back to haunt you?" Kai replied with a chuckle.

 Kyungsoo huddled his knees and tears squeezed out his eyes with every blink he did. "I don't know whether to be happy or sad, Kai. I'm lost."

 "Yeah, well, tough luck! You have to figure it out for yourself now. I can't really be there with you anymore. I mean, physically, that is. What are you going to do?"

 "I'm not sure. I don't know," he said with a slight whimper.

 "Don't cry! I mean, let it all out if that's what you want. But don't stay in that lonely place, got it? Wanna' talk about something else? Girls?" Kai teased.

 "I'm sorry for desecrating your body- I threw up after I saw what I did- I, I" Kyungsoo stuttered while thoughts of Kai's mutilated body invaded his mind, causing him to drown in guilt and despair. The sight of his hands, still stained in blood, tossed him into a well of despondency that drowned him more and more.

But Kai's words, the sound of his breathing served as a lifesaver, one that kept him afloat all those sad thoughts and feelings.

Kai sighed and spoke with a caring tone, "Don't worry about it. Remember the wise saying, 'It is what it is'."

 "Who- who said that?"

 "Roman Reigns!"

 Kyungsoo faintly smiled at Kai's comment. "But, still," he gritted his teeth.

 Kai sighed again, possibly irritated. "I already told you it's fine," he said with a reassuring tone, doing his best not too sound to forceful, "where I am now, there's no more pain, no more darkness. Only eternal sunshine."

 "Can I go there?" Kyungsoo asked, sniffling up some mucus. He didn't put much thought into his words, simply allowing the fleeting passion of the moment speak for him.

 "If you could see me right now, you'd probably say I look like a disappointed dad or something. But, I get ya. Don't let despair define you. I'll see you when you get here, in due time, hopefully not too soon. If you ever get here, I mean," he added with another chuckle. "Anything else? Hey, when do you plan on meeting that one girl. She was pretty plain, but I don't judge your tastes."

Kyungsoo scoffed and with a laugh, he replied, "Hey, at least she seemed like a good girl and not some bimbo!"

 "Whatever!" Kai interjected.

Kyungsoo huffed in some air and prepared to share his earnest thoughts on that random girl. Boldly, without caring what Kai would say, he spoke with much sincerity, "The sound of her voice was like a subtly sweet piece of pink taffy melting away warmly in your mouth, getting stuck on your teeth, annoying but not too much that it takes away the happiness it first caused. It made me feel pleasant..."

 "Wow, have you been sniffing some paint or something? To say something like that without being embarrassed?"

 "Shut up, Kai!"

"Whatever, Casanova. Don't forget your promise! Catch her while you still can. Tell her I said hi." Kai paused for a long moment. "I think I have to leave now," he said as he placed a Zippo lighter next to Kyungsoo's hand.

 "What's this? I didn't know you smoked..."

 "Nah, man! I found it on the road one day and thought it looked pretty nifty. Always keep the flame alive in your heart, bro." 

 "Hey," Kyungsoo inquired with a bewildered tone, "are you really Kai? My guardian angel? Or just a dream?"

 "I could just be a figment of your imagination! Or maybe you've gone off the deep end? But... does it really matter?"

Kyungsoo nodded his head. "I guess not," he remarked with a subtle smile.

 At the sound of Kai getting on his feet, the crispy, crunchy sounds of twigs and dead foliage breaking underfoot, Kyungsoo swiftly turned his head to look at him. He saw his back. He was dressed just as he was before he died, with one exception. He was wearing the gray jacket Kyungsoo had draped over his body. A brilliant flash of light blinded Kyungsoo, causing him to shield his eyes with his arm.

 "Oh, one more thing! Watch your step!" Kai exclaimed as his voice silently faded away to nothingness.

 Kyungsoo opened his eyes and felt a cold object in his hand. It was the lighter Kai had given him. He wondered whether it was all a hallucination or not. But, whether it was or not, what mattered was the fact that Kyungsoo received the opportunity to speak to Kai one final time.

With the lighter firmly clutched in his hand, Kyungsoo began to walk deeper into the forest. The rain had let up and the moonlight pierced through the branches and overhanging boughs of the woods. He kept moving forward at a steady pace, with the ground making wet, squishy and sticky sounds every time he lifted a foot, the mud being the natural result of a heavy downpour. The forest had a mystical feeling to it. The air was chilly, and every now and then he would hear the chitter and chatter of creeping animals, almost as if they were following him. Unaware, he failed to see the root of a tree that stuck out like a sore thumb in front of him. His mind was too focused on the ambient noise of the forest.

He tripped over the root and fell down a hole in the ground. He rubbed his head and questioned why there was such a giant hole in the middle of nowhere. Was this what Kai meant? Was Kyungsoo's answer here? It was dark inside the hole, with the moonlight the only illuminating force available. It was not enough to disclose all of his surroundings. He rummaged around for the lighter desperately and thanked God when he found it. "Thank you, Kai." he said as he ignited the lighter. It's tiny flame was too small, however, so he laughed at the irony. Now standing, he felt around the wall and his finger touched upon a wooden shaft. He pulled on it and the sound of heavy stones grinding against each other was heard as the wall began to part.

Curious, he used his small flame to lead him into the newly discovered passageway. He huddled against the wall as he slowly moved wherever the narrow path led him. His foot kicked something metallic as he stepped forward. At first startled by the noise, he calmed himself and got on his knees to find whatever object his foot kicked. He kept grasping at the ground until his hand caught hold of a metal rod. Using the lighter to inspect it, he was ecstatic once he saw it was a torch. Fortunately enough, there was still a small amount of oil in it. He didn't question why it did, but instead lit it up with his lighter.

The room glowed with a yellow tinge, Kyungsoo rose and looked around, calling to mind the familiar surrounding. It resembled the dungeon he and Kai were once shackled to, the only difference being the conspicuous absence of metal fetters stemming from the jagged surface of the encompassing walls. It was humid inside and holding the torch intensified the heat. His clothes stuck to his skin and his mind was cloudy with thoughts as to what to do next.

He began feeling at the walls with his free hand until his finger touched a small recessed indent. Curious, he poked his finger in deeper. The moment he did, he heard the low muzzled sound of heavy stones grinding against each other for the second time. A small opening on the floor had opened in front of him. He looked into it and coughed from all the dust particles that had been blown into the air following the appearance of the hole. The torch in his hand revealed stone steps and small critters fleeing from the light. Kyungsoo descended with caution, not knowing to where or to who the steps would lead him to.

The walls to the right and left of him did not leave ample space for him to descend comfortably. Every now and then as he made his way down, his shoulders would in with the walls. Its narrow space annoyed him, so he took his last few steps down with much hurry. Once he stopped, he found himself in an elaborately decorated room. This room was large, so his torch failed to reveal everything therein. It did reveal the appearance of other torches hanging off the walls, however. Kyungsoo hastened to light them up. Fortunately for him, every one of them contained oil. The room was now adequately lit. He extinguished the flame of his torch and took in his surroundings.

The walls were porous and painted with an off-white color, the edges of the walls were all of gold and contained gemstones that reflected the flickering light of the torches, which appeared to be made of sapphire themselves. In the middle of the room rested a golden coffin. It was adorned with pearls at it's edges and precious stones in the form of a cross decorated its top. Kyungsoo immediately thought it was the coffin belonging to San-grreh, the dying Vampire King. But it couldn't be, because the coffin was too small to house such a giant frame. He approached it with hesitancy. But, as he wiped away dust from off the coffin, he heard a bellowing voice speak to him. He searched around, but could not pinpoint the origin of the voice.

 "My son. Open it." the voice said with a solemn tone. 

Kyungsoo, alarmed at first, recognized the voice as belonging to the giant king, San-grreh. He paused but did not delay too long. Unsurprisingly, it took a teeth-clenching amount of force to lift the lid off the tomb. Dust clouded his vision and entered his mouth. He coughed as he waved with his hand to clear the air of dust. With an indefinable expression, he looked at the bones the resting place held. Kingly ornaments loosely decorated the remains, a golden crown on the skull, silver bracers the carpus area, a golden sash that fell into the cavity of the hip sockets, a furry loincloth covered the hips halfway down the femur, and furry, leather boots at the end of the coffin. 

 "This is my brother. The one who defeated me a millennia ago. Take his knife."

Kyungsoo, with a scowl on his face, yelled at the king, "Why me?! What do you want me to do?! I just want to kill Rx!"

 "Hasten! He beguiled me and has left me bereft of any real power. Take the knife holstered on his body and I will bring you to me, my child of the moon!"

 "I'm no child of the moon!" Kyungsoo protested. "I'm a child of the sun! And I hate all this evil business I was forced into! I want it all to end! I just killed my friend for crying out loud!"

 "Hasten!"

 Kyungsoo reluctantly disturbed the remains as he looked for the knife San-grreh spoke of. He found it next to its hip and wiped the grime and dirt off. It was a simple knife sheathed in a leather holster, with leather also wrapped around the hilt. Kyungsoo gripped it in anger. Then he blinked and was surrounded by darkness.

A light appeared before him, and soon enough he found himself standing before the sickbed of the dying king. He stretched his hand to touch Kyungsoo's fingers, but he quickly pulled his hand away.

 "You have brought the knife?"

 Kyungsoo nodded with his eyes still fierce from anger and confusion. 

 "Your brother, the sorcerer."

 "He's not my brother," Kyungsoo cut in.

 "I know. Now, he came and tricked me. He deceived me through the art of the sorcerer and I have given him my powers. You must kill him before he awakens. Then you will inherit my powers. Only use them for good, this time. Not for evil and vainglory as I once did."

 With a voice of consternation, Kyungsoo said, "I do not want your powers. All I want is to live normally after this."

 "You cannot. No longer, no. My accursed blood now flows through you. My brother, Adamman-hu did his best to halt my evil, but at the end, all that could be accomplished was the delayment of a thousand years. His heart was too compassionate to kill me. When I awakened," he coughed and wheezed. "I sought for those afflicted by my blood to die with me peacefully, but they had other wishes. I was too tired of their evil deeds so I isolated myself from them. After a time there arose a Vampire of virtue and he slayed all but me, choosing to leave me on the brink of death but with enough power to live a bit longer. He foresaw his own death and that after it, there would be a coming one who would seek power at all costs, that is, the sorcerer. And he knew I would seek a pure-hearted lad to open the tomb of Adamman-hu. One that resembled my brother, you."

 "I thought I looked like your son."

 "I lied. But hasten, while he has yet to awaken from slumber! He tried his best to open the tomb of his ancestor, but only chosen progeny, you, could do it. He sought the dagger, the only blade capable of slaying a Vampire King. For the cretin feared opposition. Do not trust the sorcerer, for he is a liar. He sealed my lips with a hex at the time I first met you. His lips spew out venom, and so he deceived you as well, as pertaining to a 'Millennium King' and such, " San-grreh spoke with an exasperated voice.

 Kyungsoo wagged his head in disbelief over the whole situation. Who was telling the truth? But he was firm in his resolve now. He had to kill Rx, this he knew. San-grreh pointed with his trembling hand to the door at the far end of the room. Kyungsoo walked over there and twisted open the knob. He entered into the next room, a chamber covered with scarlet curtains hanging from the ceiling and reaching down to the floor. At the far end stood an ornate table decorated with runes that casted a glow which pierced through the dimly lit room. Various tomes, some open and some closed, were haphazardly strewn on it. In the middle of the room, another coffin. Rx laid inside it, resting from his gunshot wounds. The power he stole from San-grreh had also crippled him, so he was forced to sleep.

Kyungsoo unsheathed the dagger and rose his hand, ready to end Rx's life. When he reached the apex of his reach, a voice, Rx called out to him. His lips were still, but his voice resounded in Kyungsoo's head.

 "You fool! You need me! If you kill me, you will take all of the king's powers by default. When that happens, you will never be able to walk under sunlight again! Why do you think he lives in such a dreary place? You will die if the sun's rays so much as touch you. I can make you human! Trust me!"

 Kyungsoo paused. But continued after only a second. The knife stabbed into Rx's heart and he breathed his last. Kyungsoo coldy twisted the dagger around, just to make sure he died. He left the blade lodged in his heart and made his way to see San-grreh.

 "My son! Black moon! No, the sun! Black Sun! Bright Sun!" San-grreh cried with his final breath.

 Kyungsoo closed the eyes of the deceased king and began to look for a way outside the castle. He fumbled around, using the walls of the castle to sustain his balance. Weariness had set in for him. He trudged up a flight of stairs and his steps became too heavy for him. He fell on his knees but doggedly got up after only a few seconds. Sweat blinded him but he pressed on. The air was thin and his clothes, wet with rainwater, perspiration and blood bothered him, but still, he lifted his feet as he moved onward.

Everything was dark, but then the light of the sun finally poked in through the small gap underneath a giant steel door. He pressed against it and tried to push open the door, but he was too weak. 

"Save me, God." 

Kyungsoo shoved it open with all his might and fell to his knees, the sunlight showering down on him. Small pebbles pierced into his palms, the sting of which made him flinch.

He looked up and his pupils dialated from the fierce intensity of the sun.

 "I can't keep my promise, I'm sorry," he said with a labored breath.

 

The end.

 

Thank you for reading. ^^