Daydreaming first thing in the morning

Insomnia is At 3 AM

A month passed. 
Kai, still residing in Kyungsoo's apartment out of necessity, had begun to drift away from Kyungsoo. The only words exchanged were typical greetings which made it even more awkward since Kai was still jobless (meaning he speant most of the day indoors). Hours would drag onward until night descended and then things would get interesting, at least for Kyungsoo. "I'm going now," he would tell Kai as he left to kill the same creatures he fought when the two's friendship first started to diminish. 

Now 3am, Kai glanced at Kyungsoo leave out the window, no "I'm going now." Only the sound of a pained grunt came out of Kyungsoo. Kai wondered the reason why, yet it was obvious why. Kyungsoo hadn't tasted blood for the whole month. The lack thereof caught up to him and he was now weaker, feeling pain and soreness all over his body. Kyungsoo was determined to not drink blood, despite his desperate need for it. Kai figured as much, but his stubbornness, nay, pride prevented him from uttering even a single word to Kyungsoo. He bit his lip every time Kyungsoo passed by him and held secret his concern with his fists clenched in frustration.

At the parking lot of the very ASDA market Kai had been fired from, Kyungsoo was fighting the nightmarish creatures all alone. These members of "The Flock" were just as Rx had described them as, mere beasts without a sliver of consciousness, the only thing these beasts understood was their need for human blood. 

One of them managed to pin down Kyungsoo atop the roof of an old Camaro, the other crept up the hood of the car and watched its partner attack Kyungsoo.

 "Arghh!" Kyungsoo cried out as a beast slashed him with its razor-sharp talons. Thankfully, it only dealt a small scratch as it missed most of its attack. 

 Kyungsoo managed to bring his legs up to his chest and with a big kick, one using all his strength, he caused the beast to be launched a distance away. But there was another one still next to Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo lamented how most of the tales he had heard of Vampires, how they had incredulous strength, the ability to fly, and rapid healing powers, were mere fiction. There was a definite increase in terms of strength, speed, endurance, and the ability to resist damage, but nowhere near as much as various forms of media depicted. He was the supposed heir to a kingdom of Vampires. But here was, gasping for air and doing his best to survive against one of his supposed subjects. At any rate, no real respite was offered to him when the second beast smashed the space next to him on the car roof.

Kyungsoo evaded the blow and followed with a move he had seen Kai perform long ago in a televised wrestling match. The move had been ingrained into his mind. In fact, most of Kai's repertoire had been deeply etched in his soul and Kyungsoo depended on those moves every single night when he fought those monsters. The move he performed was a reversal into an armbar. Kyungsoo tightly clutched the beast's arm while he hung most of his body off the top of the roof, so that his head was nearly touching the parking lot ground. He heard a *snap*, the beast's arm broke. The satisfying sound of a bone breaking was followed by a blood-curling shriek of pain and anguish. Kyungsoo let go of the arm and dealt the finishing blow, consisting of breaking off the beast's fang and using it to impale its heart.

Kyungsoo wiped the blood on his pants and took a peek into the empty car. "Only scraps of clothes again, huh. And blood and shattered glass, signs of struggle..." He guessed the tales of Vampires only drinking blood was wrong. To Kyungsoo, it was obvious that these creatures also ate their victims, or so he figured. After studying the car's interior, Kyungsoo finished the second monster that was still writhing in pain some distance away. When he finished killing it, Kyungsoo dragged both of the monsters' bodies over to an empty, barren lot and dug a big hole in the ground. He tossed their bodies into the ditch and covered the ground as well as he could. His eyes were now set on going back home.

 Kyungsoo came back 'round sunrise, doggedly climbing over the window sill until he fell into the livingroom headfirst. Kai, lying on the sofa, ran to him and helped him get back up. He carried Kyungsoo to his room and dropped him on his bed, "You're killing yourself."

 Kyungsoo, with tired eyes looked up at Kai, "I guess I could use your help after all, huh?"

 Kai stared at him with a disinterested expression. "Right..." He left and went to lie back down on the sofa. There, he mulled over the reality he was facing: Kyungsoo was slowly dying before his eyes. Kai took out the vial of blue medicine Rx had given him and swished around the liquid inside. "I have to do it, huh? I have to feed him some of my blood? I guess that's all I can really do."

With the vial in his hand, Kai went to see Kyungsoo again. He was sleeping, Kai was grateful for this because it meant there was no way Kyungsoo could object. Kai always had a pocket knife on him, wherever he would go, always in the same hidden pocket of his white jacket. He retrieved it and opened up the blade; he had already rolled up his sleeve so all he had left to do was cut himself a little. But Kyungsoo woke up, causing Kai to drop his knife.

 "How you doing?" he asked as he bent down to pick up his knife. 

 "What were you doing?" Kyungsoo asked "I thought we were still fighting or something."

 Kai did his best to smile earnestly, but the sight of Kyungsoo in a disheveled state mostly prevented him. "We are."

 Kyungsoo blinked slowly, "I got an idea... How about I pay you to be my assistant? You could buy all the painting materials I need and groceries for me-"

 "Yeah, I already do that..."

 Kyungsoo scratched his chin, "Oh, yeah, huh? Okay, how about I pay you for that then?"

 Kai slapped Kyungsoo slightly, very lightly, "I think you should worry about yourself more than you should worry about my pride and I."

 "I'm fine."

 Kai scoffed, "No you're not. Maybe, you should consider drinking the blood of people in jail, or of the gangs that live around here. The bad guys that are actually human, you know?"

 Kyungsoo blinked three times, surprised by Kai's suggestion. "I'm not gonna' do that. That'll defeat the purpose of me going on hunts for The Flock at night. I don't want to be a Vampire. But now that I am, I have to use its powers to stop all of this stupid stuff. Then I need to find Rx and stop him. I think the old king will die on his own by the time I stop Rx."

 "I'm just saying," Kai said as he secretly hid the knife in his rear pocket, "that maybe it doesn't matter when it comes to those types of people, whether you drink their blood or not. Either way, they're going to end up killing themselves. You see the news! Everyday, there's murders and kidnappings happening around the world. Around these parts here, too! A couple of these murderers won't be missed."

 Kyungsoo squeezed the blanket that was next to him, bunched up from the last time used it. His nose flared up, anger was filling his veins, but he dismissed it all once, "he doesn't know. He doesn't know the struggle I go through when the hunger for blood comes at night. He doesn't know how hard it is to fight against those monsters. He doesn't know how it feels to dig up a giant ditch every single night and bury those evil creatures there so their bodies won't be discovered and cause a giant panic," he said to himself.
 
Kyungsoo sat up and coughed up a nasty consistency of blood and mucus. He wiped it on the bed and then gave Kai a subtle smile. He just wanted to change the topic of drinking blood, so he spoke the first thing that popped up in his head. "Did you buy the new Mortal Kombat game? I want to get my mind off things."

Kai figured his friend out. He could tell Kyungsoo was ticked off and that he would never drink blood, so he relented and followed along, "Can I use your credit card to buy it off Amazon?"

Kyungsoo looked up at Kai with a blank expression. "It's coming out of your paycheck, now that I'm paying you."

The two spent their day playing the new game together.

 3 am hit the clock again, and Kyungsoo left to hunt down the evil Flock once again. Kai clenched his fists and prayed for him to come back home alive. In a fit of frustration, he punched the red bricks that made up the wall of the apartment. The melody he had heard in the dungeon played in his ears.

 "Careful now," a voice taunted. It was Rx who was by the window, staring at the night sky with his chin resting in his palm.

Kai swiftly turned and saw him there, hanging around as though he owned the place. "What do you want?"

 Rx grinned at Kai and pointed at his knuckle, "Don't want to make yourself bleed now. He might drink your blood."

 The mocking expression triggered Kai's anger, so he aimed a kick at him, but Rx evaded it by gracefully twirling away like a skilled dancer.

Rx cleared his voice and his easygoing look changed to one of concern. "If Kyungsoo does not taste blood, he will die. I need him alive. Do what I tell you! and remember not to taste his blood." 

Kai snarled and pounced at Rx, thinking, if not hoping he possessed some secret knowledge that could cure Kyungsoo. Kai missed, as Rx was now standing behind him, snickering at him.

 "You are like the star that has been abandoned by the galaxy! If only you would have been chosen to be the next Millenium King, and not your friend. You would shine as the moon does in the night," he remarked with a semi-serious tone.

 Kai got up and wiped the dust off his pants, "What do you mean?! You think either of us wants to be involved in this?! This isn't funny! Stuff we thought were fables are actually real, and you laugh?"

 "But you yourself, know! People scare you! You can't even trust your own parents!"

 Kai's ire sprang up in him like a vehement fire, scorching any notion of restraint. "Shut up, and don't you tell me about my parents!" He exclaimed as he sliced through the air with his pocket knife, aiming at Rx. But he missed, Rx was gone with no trace left behind.

 Kai fell to his knees and clenched his hands in anger till bleeding. Opening his palm, he saw blood beginning to gather into a tiny pool. He sat on the floor not knowing what to do, enduring the sting of his wound. Then he recalled the vial of blue liquid in his pocket. He tested it on on his wounds and saw the separation of his skin magically meld together again. "He wasn't lying..."

 Now, 6 am, Kyungsoo used his arms to pull himself up the window sill. He was exhausted and felt the lactic acid burn in his triceps. He was unwilling to ask for Kai's help because he was sure he was still angry at him. Kai tried his best to ignore him, but the distinct gasps of air Kyungsoo was making bugged his conscience. Kyungsoo finally, after much struggle, dropped himself inside the living room, and Kai rushed to help him, a look of frustration hanging upon his face.
 
 "You should really let me help you," he commented as he helped Kyungsoo lie down on the sofa. There was no response, Kyungsoo was totally asleep. 

Kai, with his mouth gaping open from humor of hearing the snoring sounds escape his friend, eventually took out his knife from his pocket. He squirmed for an instant and made a small noise as a line was slowly cut in his palm. The blood seeped out from the self-inflicted incision and Kai squeezed his eyes from the pain as he let the blood steadily drop into Kyungsoo's open mouth. 

Kyungsoo suddenly woke up and noted Kai incessantly fiddling with his palm. "What's wrong?"

 With a forced smile, Kai replied, "Just a small scratch. No blood! Don't worry."

 Kyungsoo yawned. "I thought it was an ant. I've been seeing a couple of them trail around my bed every now and then." He sat up and felt refreshed, unbeknownst of the reason why. He called out to Kai and asked if he'd like to have breakfast.

 "Sure, but if you go outside and smell blood, won't you be tempted to, you know?"

 "I only seem to get thirsty around 3 am, remember? But how'd you know I meant for the two of us to have breakfast outdoors and not inside?"

 "I...I don't know myself? Random guess?"

 Kyungsoo was happy now that their friendship had been reconciled. He thought it silly now, how they spent a whole month without really talking. He briefly considered how they might not have much time left together, so he had already made up in his mind to spend as much of his days doing the things he loved and trying out new things in addition. He opted not to contact his parents, because he was too much of a coward to share anything with them. He was fine with them living off the wealth he had amassed from all the paintings he had sold, so that settled any qualms of being honest with them and sharing his secret of becoming a Vampire and his plan to kill himself along with Rx. But Kai, who was dragged into this predicament, he could not ignore. He wanted to make sure he lived so that his dream of becoming a loving father and husband, a regular family man, could be vicariously fulfilled through him. Kyungsoo knew this was a selfish wish, but he was fine with that.