Night Terrors

Insomnia is At 3 AM

Kai and Kyungsoo sat next to the giant on golden stools that Rx had dragged out of an adjoining chamber.

 "You are my chosen progeny," the giant said with a low, bellowing voice. He then coughed and pulled down his hood, disclosing a skeletal helm he wore over his wrinkly and scar-covered face: the scars were traces of the countless battles he had fought in ages past. He had no hair and his eyes were barely opened, but they opened enough to reveal a hint of emerald colored irises. 

For some reason, despite his enormous size, he seemed sad and defeated. He was struggling to breathe, with his muscular belly rising at an abnormal, quick manner. His wheezing and continual coughs showed signs of a being near the end of its life. Kai and Kyungsoo both were bewildered, asking themselves what the giant meant when he called Kyungsoo his "chosen progeny".

Rx coughed and hit the giant's back with significant force. "It's just phlegm," he told Kai and Kyungsoo.

The giant gestured with its enormous hands for Rx to stop, which he did after another two hits. "I'll tell them," Rx said.

Kyungsoo's mouth was opened and Kai could smell his morning breath fill his nostrils. Annoyed, Kai stood up and asked Rx, "tell us what?"

Rx grinned as he commenced to explain the reason why Kyungsoo had specifically been brought to this "castle". "You have been handpicked by this giant you see here to become the new King of the Vampires."

 "Yeah, he said that already, but I don't get it," Kyungsoo replied.

 Rx rolled his eyes, "Let me finish. Anyways, this giant used to be worshiped as a god by countless people, but boy, were they wrong. He is no god. He's just a...hard to describe. You see, though, if he were a god, he should not be able to actually die, yet here he is, in his deathbed, seeking someone to reestablish his throne-"

Kai cut in with a flabbergasted voice, "What?!"

 "You have no place, here, so shut up and listen!" Rx sighed after scolding Kai and continued, "Ok! Now, what happened is that nearly a millennia ago, this man fought a barbarian king named Adamman-hu. Adamman-hu's kingdom fought hard with the aid of these holy weapons or whatever and so this giant before you lost. As a result, he stuck to his stupid sense of honor and allowed himself and his foolish servants to be sealed up for a thousand years. That was the deal- that whoever won, whether Vampire or man, would rule for a thousand years until the next battle would be fought. A descendant of this barbarian king, that's you," he said as he wagged his finger at Kai "is destined to fight the next Vampire King."

 Kai's heart sank "Me? Really?!" he asked in disbelief.

"No, you idiot. I was just kidding," Rx chuckled. "Anyways, skullface here and his legion of Vampires woke up sometime around the late 1800s', in time for the next battle between man and Vampire to be fought. Instead of conquering the world, like he could've, because there was no one to stop him, he decided to observe humanity in a somewhat peaceful manner, only allowing blood to be when necessary. Some of his servants rebelled and went on killing sprees. Then a human who became a Vampire, after claiming to have found God," he remarked with an irritated tone, "became a priest and singlehandedly killed all the Vampires, but this foolish king. But he's a problem no longer as he was recently killed by fallen angels or what have you, not entirely sure of the details."

 "So you're not one of those Vampires who awoke from slumber?" Kyungsoo quickly asked.

 Rx sighed, "I'm happy you're paying attention. I'm a sorcerer who heard of tales regarding the blood er, and happened to serendipitously stumble upon this castle. I woke up the king here from another slumber he had put himself into. Turns out he was recuperating from mortal wounds the last Vampire hunter, that one priest, inflicted. And well, I tasted of the king's blood, becoming a Vampire. I used magic to somewhat heal him, he's still going to die," he added with a whisper, while glancing at Kyungsoo and Kai, "And that's about it. Oh! But he chose you to be his successor, you see. Why? I've tried asking him, and the answer he's given me is that you remind him of a bastard son he had..."

 Kyungsoo nodded as a direct response, but was still confused, "How'd...How's he ever seen me?"

 Rx coughed, "That was because of me. I saw a picture of his son in a locket he had- it's the red orb on his chest harness," Rx pointed back at the king's chest , "I saw it and then noticed you, coincidentally. I was shepherding The Flock and caught you staring out the window. Then I knew I would do well if I turned you into one of us. Remember when I bought your painting? I have it proudly displayed in my chamber. But I digress. When you fell asleep that night, I came and dripped several drops of his blood on your tongue. And now you, like I, have the powerful blood of the old fool flowing through us. We are brothers. But, only you can tap into all its power since you are the chosen one, that is... when he transfers his powers. For now, you can only tap into about 40% of what it will be when he dies and yada, yada, yada. I'm sure you get it by now."

Kyungsoo let his vision drift to the ground, with his eye squinting a little. He blamed himself for all this trouble. He blamed his depression that led him to look out at the moon in hopes of instilling a reason to continue going. "Why am I so weak?" he silently questioned, "never even left the house much before all this mess happened. And now, it's like I've been tossed to live in a dark fantasy. I want to stop this. Do everything possible, 'cause I hate this. This is stupid!"

Kai, with his arms folded together, was doing his best to analyze all that Rx was communicating. "I thought there was only you two. What is this 'Flock' you claim to have been shepherding? Are they other Vampires? Are there more than 3 Vampires?"

 "Well of us, the kind that remain looking human, there's only three. But, there is also the breed of Vampires called 'The Flock'. They have no real intelligence, but are obedient as long as they drink blood. I used to take them out on nightly excursions and we ate like a family, although they're too stupid to have ever considered such notion. I guess they're more like pets, then, in that regard. Anyways, I stopped shepherding them just yesterday so I can focus on other matters. It gets complicated, to be honest, so details need not be really discussed. All that matters is that you have to feed, Kyungsoo!  You will be the next Millenium King and I will raise a horde of Vampires and so we will be like gods!"

 Kyungsoo stood and outright refused Rx's proposal. "No! Of course I won't!"

 Kai smirked mockingly at Rx, "Why, just because he looks like the guy's son? That's stupid!"

 Rx wasn't alarmed by Kyungsoo's refusal. He expected such to happen. "I forgot to mention, but don't let anyone drink your blood. It now has tremendous power, like being able to heal any mortal, of any illness or irregularities..." he commented as he glimpsed at Kai for a split second.

 Kai felt a jolt in his chest, akin to a sudden hiccup. While rubbing the bridge of his nose, he asked, "How come Dio- I mean Kyungsoo, how come he only gets the urge for blood at 3am?"

 "That... I'm not sure. Maybe his body is still getting used to the mutation it went through, and therefore only calls for blood when going through a major change? Or maybe it's been transferred to him, because 3 am was the usual time the king here used to pillage villages, take women, and feast on blood long ago." Rx observed Kyungsoo from head to toe and remarked, "Dio is a good name for you. It just needs an 'S', indicative of plurality- meaning you and I together, to form the Spanish word for god, 'Dios'. And 'S', is it not like the word 'Es'? which means 'being' as in the state of perfect existence, a necessary permanence? What am I getting at?" Rx asked while feeling amused by looking at Kai's and Kyungsoo's stumped looks, "I mean that we could be like God together once this old fart dies and you inherit all his powers."

 Kyungsoo's chest tightened at the thought of Rx's words. It was fear he felt, not knowing what he could be capable of doing if he succumbed to Rx's plan. Kai could feel the anxiety that had washed over Kyungsoo, so he pulled Kyungsoo behind him and leered at Rx. "He'd never do that!"

 "Oh, I'm sure," Rx said with a wry grin, "but would you? You would feel power surging through every blue vein, you would walk on the earth with no peer. I would be your subservient aid, but it's too bad you weren't chosen!"

 Kai kicked the stool in front him down, "Forget you and this stupid giant king of yours!"

 "His name is San-grreh, did I forget to mention it? Sorry."

 Kyungsoo shook his head and demanded Rx to take them back home. Rx consented and asked the pair to shut their eyes, which they did when Rx blinded them with an intense flash of light that proceeded out of his mouth (it was a spell).


As Kyungsoo opened his eyes, the first thing he did was sit up and look at his surroundings. He heard a noise on his left-hand side, so he looked down from his bed and the sight of Kai sleeping on the floor snatched his attention. Kai was coiled up in a ball and shivering from the cold. Kyungsoo did not delay and taking a thick blanket, still warm from his own body heat, covered Kai slowly.

Startled from sleep, Kai pulled himself away from the blanket. "What happened?! Was it all a..." he trailed off.

 Kyungsoo wagged his head in frustration, "It would've been better if it was, but it wasn't...What should I do, Kai?"

 "I'm not so sure either, bro..."

 The two did their best to have a regular day, but escapism could not stop the reality that comes with the night from happening. Now, 2:30 am, Kyungsoo was wide awake, anxiously praying for everything to stop.

 The feeling of impotency started to affect Kai. "What do I do?" he said under his breath.

The half hour passed in the blink of an eye. Kyungsoo was standing, and Kai could clearly tell the he was different by the glazed look he possessed.

 "Don't worry. I think I know what I'm going to do, Kai."

  At that precise moment, the loud sound of a car coming to a screeching halt was heard, followed by the terrified scream of a woman. The vehement roar of the engine that next occurred signified something was definitely wrong. Was it just gangs doing their nightly business? Kyungsoo doubted it was just that, so he jumped out the window and sought to find the reason why. Kai chased after him on his motorcycle. He lost him for a while, but then heard a voice that resembled Kyungsoo's coming from around the corner, leading to a tunnel passage. 

It was dark at this hour of the night with a dense fog obscuring the encompassing area, yet Kai's vision was good enough that he could tell something strange was going on. It was just near the entrance of the tunnel that he witnessed Kyungsoo fighting a group of creatures.  Kai could tell they were hideous. One of the creatures exited the tunnel and headed for Kai, and as it came out to the open road, Kai could see just how hideous it was.

It was walking on all fours, with giant wings extending from its back. It's eyes were glowing green, and it had no body hair but looked like a mangy sphinx cat, with sharp talons on all four limbs and pointed ears. The fiend's body was covered in horn-like protrusions. It's snout was smooshed up and it had a stream of blood flowing from the two great tusks that protruded out its mouth. The creature was over 2 meters in length, with a long tail that whipped about with great force on the ground.

Kai ran up to it without fear and punched it in the face, but he was no match. The creature retaliated by pinning him to the ground. It spread Kai's arms apart and snarled at him.

Kai cried out for help, and was answered, "Kai!" It was Kyungsoo who rushed to save him.

Kyungsoo tackled the beast down and pummeled it violently, his fists causing the hellish creature's eyes to burst. The creature cried out in pain, its tongue that was slit down the middle was caught by Kyungsoo. He pulled it out and then broke the fangs off with a punch. The creature kept squirming and struggled to get Kyungsoo off of it, but was helpless.

 "Kill it, Kyungsoo!"

 Kyungsoo nodded and so stabbed the creature in the heart using the fang he had just broken off. The creature whimpered until it stopped struggling altogether.

Kyungsoo got off the beast and wiped the blood on his jeans. "I don't know what that was, but I had to kill it. I came as soon as I could but was too late. I think they ate all the passengers of the car we heard. There was only some blood splattered across the seats and scraps of clothes left behind, no real trace of them...."

 "How- how many was there?"

 Kyungsoo counted with his fingers, "I counted 5 when I first came, but this one appeared out of nowhere, maybe it was lurking around?"

 Kai placed his hand on his hip and used the other to scratch his head maniacally, "You think these are those other Vampires that Rx told us about? The ones he said are like senseless animals? What are we going to do, Dio?"

 Kyungsoo met Kai's gaze with a determined look, "We? I don't think you should get involved, Kai. I have to be the one to kill them. After I kill them all, then I have to kill Rx and the old giant. Then... I feel burdened by this sense of responsibility now. But I'm forced to do it. If not me, then who?"

 Kai scoffed, "Dude, I have to help! I'm already involved!"

Kyungsoo nodded in disagreement, , "I am no longer sure myself, if I can go back to ever being 'normal'. But you can!" he said with a warm smile. "And don't worry, I think I have more control of my thirst for blood now. I think meeting the king, San-grreh, whatever his name is, has something do with it. At least, that's what I feel, like I have more control over myself. And killing all these monsters tonight I think proves it, that I was able to tap into the Vampire power or whatever."

 "But you need me!" Kai objected. "I can finally do something that will actually matter, not some dead end job!"

Kyungsoo sighed, "Kai, it doesn't work that way. You will only get in the way."

 Kai interrupted, fueled by frustration, he shouted "Who are you?! You're not acting like yourself, Dio! You ain't no hero! I'm the one who ever fought! Whether in the ring or some jerk that thought he could beat me up." Kai shot out some spit onto the ground, "Man, you couldn't even leave your house before all this bull happened!"

 Kyungsoo exchanged a look of disappointment. He was upset by Kai and the words that escaped him. "It's just his anger," Kyungsoo told himself.

 "I'll go back home," Kai said under his breath as he mounted his motorcycle.

The ride back home was one filled with torment for Kai. "Why won't he accept my help?!"