Birthday Date

Pages and Bookmarks
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hello. It's been a while. Things have been pretty rough for us, buddies, but I hope you all are doing fine. Sowon did a mistake and she apologized for it. It is not our apology to accept but I hope we all learned from this. 

This isn't much, considering I have not written for a while. I hope I can go back to those days when I could easily update fics within a week or a few days, but things have been really hard. As much as I want to write sometimes, I just can't. And I don't really have the energy to write fluff these days but I tried haha.

 

 

**********

"Shut up and leave." 

 

"But—"

 

"Hwang Eunbi." 

 

"Yes, that's me. Do you need anything babe?"

 

"Leave."

 

"Leaves? I'm not sure if there's any tree nearby—"

 

Yerin looked up from her book to glare at the younger woman. She closed it and stood up from her desk, heading towards Eunbi who looked delighted seeing the former's whole attention already on hers. To her disappointment however, Yerin grabbed her arm, pushed her out of the room, and slammed the door on her face. 

 

"Hey— this is my cafe, in case you forgot!" Eunbi yelled and tried to open the door. "Well, technically it's my parents'! but... but you get my point!" 

 

Eunbi sighed and pouted. It was too early to be thrown out like that. Usually, Yerin kicks her out after a few hours of her arrival in the place or a few hours of her trying to grab Yerin's attention but today, it didn't even reach an hour or at least half an hour.  

 

Deciding to just leave, Eunbi pulled out her phone and messaged the older woman instead. Maybe Yerin was busy preparing for her finals or she just needed more time to organize her work in the café.

 

---

 

"I'm sorry I can't join you guys. Yerin unnie's shift is ending soon and I want to walk her home." Eunbi smiled apologetically at her friends who in exchange, only gave her a knowing and amused look.

 

"You're whipped." said Yewon.

 

"I know," Eunbi chuckled and started pushing her friends to the bus stop. "Now go. You don't want to miss anything in the event."

 

"Promise us you will go next time!"

 

"I promise!" Eunbi yelled back as she began running to the opposite direction where the café was located. Yerin's finals week was nearing so the girl must be packed with her books to study so Eunbi decided to just walk her home instead of trying to get her to hang together. She knew how stressing it could be during finals season so the least she could do was annoy the other girl and disturb her time to study. Besides, she had her own exams to prepare for as well.

 

As she arrived at the café, she was welcomed by a packed place full of university students. She went to the counter and immediately spotted Yerin who was walking back and forth to prepare the customer's orders. She checked the time and frowned seeing it was already five minutes past Yerin's shift.

 

"Unnie, you are supposed to be getting ready to leave right?" Eunbi asked as she approached the woman, "What are you still doing here?"

 

"We are short of staff. I need to stay for a few more hours."

 

"But your finals—"

 

"You have your finals coming soon too so go study instead of lurking around here."

 

"You can't stay here and work. You are overdoing it again unnie," Eunbi muttered in worry as she followed Yerin's busy steps. "I'll call the part-time worker."

 

"What? No." Yerin shot her a glare and went back to her work, multitasking. "She has her exams coming soon so she needs to study. She already called me."

 

Eunbi frowned, "Well you have your own exams as well. Did you tell her that?"

 

"No—"

 

"I'm calling her," Eunbi took out her phone, "You can't overwork yourself. I thought I made that clear to you."

 

---

 

"Don't walk any closer." Yerin growled, making the girl behind her shorten her pace while pouting.

 

They were heading to Yerin's place after settling things in the cafe. The part time worker arrived a few minutes after Eunbi called and Yerin was furious. She didn't say anything but the way she acted was enough for Eunbi to figure out that the older girl didn't like what she did. She tried to reason out a few times but she got shut off seconds into her rumbling. So now that she was walking Yerin home, she was instructed to stay away from the latter and with how Yerin was glaring at her, she could not bring herself to argue anymore.

 

 As they arrived, Eunbi hesitantly opened to say goodbye but was interrupted as Yerin beat her to it.

 

"If you're doing all these because you want to make me agree to the relationship you want with me," Yerin muttered, making Eunbi frown. "I'm telling you, it's not worth it."

 

“Unnie, it's not about what I—”

 

"Don't ever do. this. again." Yerin firmly interrupted before going inside her place and slamming the door on Eunbi.

 

"Unnie..." the younger girl weakly whispered, feeling defeated. "I'll go home now. Please get enough rest," she said, raising her voice a bit in hopes of Yerin hearing her. 

 

Eunbi stayed for at least one more minute before sighing, a weak smile in her face as she turned to leave the building. She pulled out her phone and sent a short, sweet message to the older woman.

 

Yerin never really read her messages but that does not stop Eunbi from leaving a few, always reminding her to take care of herself. 

 

There were times that Yerin told her to stop the messages coming and Eunbi just acted like she did not hear the other girl. Until the day that Yerin discovers the block function in her phone, Eunbi would continue leaving messages. Even if those remain unappreciated.

 

Maybe one day, Yerin decides to stop putting her in the inbox zone and finally replies. Maybe one day, Yerin would stop being mean to her. 

 

Maybe one day, Yerin would finally accept her feelings.

 

---

 

"Unnie, are you free next weekend?" Eunbi looked up from her book to stare at the girl across her.

 

"I'm busy. I have to study."

 

"But the finals will end this week," Eunbi pouted. "If it's okay with you, can we have a meal together? My treat!"

 

Yerin closed her book and wore back her apron, getting ready to go back to her work as her thirty-minute break was almost over. She glanced at the pleading Eunbi and shook her head, "No."

 

"Aw come on unnie. Give yourself some break. I know you have deadlines coming but it's good to have fun sometimes. You need it." Eunbi continued to insist as she followed Yerin around inside the staff room, hugging her book to her chest.

 

"What made you think I would have fun having a meal with you?"

 

Eunbi pouted again, "That's hurtful you know."

 

"I know," Yerin simply agreed. "Now go away," she glared at the younger woman before tying her hair in a neat bun. 

 

"How about a short ice cream date? If you're too busy we can just buy some ice cream and hang—"

 

"I already said no," Yerin faced her and with how she looked, Eunbi knew it was only about time that she would get dragged out of the place. "Stop annoying me and go home. No is a no and you can't change my mind. Do you understand?"

 

"But it's a special day unnie,"

 

"Do I look like I care?"

 

Eunbi stared for a moment, slowly feeling the defeat. "Just a birthday gift then?" She asked, showing a goofy expression once again as she tried to lift the mood up. "Unnie, please?"

 

Eunbi saw how Yerin halted her movements, closed her eyes, and took a very deep breath. Her goofy smile slowly vanished as she embraced herself for the lash out of the day.

 

When Yerin turned to face her, she immediately raised both her hands up as she took a few steps back.

 

"Alright, I get it now unnie," she pouted before gathering her things into her bag.

 

Eunbi heard a sigh of relief from Yerin. It seemed that the latter was thanking the heavens for having the younger woman give up that easily. Eunbi only smiled in awe seeing how cute Yerin looked. She then grinned before walking towards the door.

 

"See you next weekend unnie!"

 

"Aish!! I said I'm not gonna come!" 

 

Eunbi chuckled as she heard Yerin yelling back, annoyed. Even though she could not see it, she knew the older girl looked cute while yelling. She took her leave, not daring to look back because a kitchen ware or a book might welcome her face. She was already satisfied that Yerin knew she was still going with her plan.

 

---

 

It did not take long for Eunbi's birthday to finally come. To say that she was excited was an understatement. She kept receiving calls from her friends and her parents had prepared an amazing breakfast for her. Her day started well and she couldn't have it any other way.

 

Yerin unfortunately did not bother sending her a message but Eunbi did not mind it. They would meet in the afternoon anyway. Besides, personal greeting is always better. 

 

She had the rooftop of the café decorated for her birthday date with Yerin. Even though it was not really a date because she remembered saying they would only have ice cream. Eunbi could just hope Yerin would stay for a little longer after. 

 

After meeting some of her friends, Eunbi proceeded to the café. She made sure Yerin's off for today so the girl could not make any excuse for avoiding her. Then, she went up to the rooftop to make sure everything's all set. 

 

Eunbi was excited, to say the least. She had been daydreaming of this day. Sure, Yerin would most probably act grumpy towards her but at least, she was with her on her birthday. Eunbi finally got her to say yes after a few days of persuasion, so she was sure about it.

 

Soon enough, Eunbi texted Yerin to inform her that she was already there. The view was mesmerizing, especially that the sun would soon set. It was what Eunbi was looking forward to the most. Because well, she was planning to tell Yerin how much she liked her. The latter probably already knew considering that she had been vocal about it, but Eunbi wanted to say it in a serious and what Yerin would consider a sincere way. 



 

As Eunbi entertained herself with replying to the birthday messages she received, she waited for Yerin. The older girl would arrive anytime, she thought. She already messaged one of the staff members to get the ice cream cups ready as she would call anytime. 

 

However, almost an hour had already passed but there was still no sign of Yerin. Eunbi does not really mind waiting but the older girl had agreed to the time they set. Is Yerin okay? 

 

Just as she was about to dial Yerin's number, the staff member she messaged earlier called.

 

"Yerin's here, Miss Eunbi," the younger girl automatically grinned, "But I think she's with—"

 

"Thank you! I'll come down to get her."

 

"But Miss—"

 

Eunbi ended the call in excitement as she stood up to head downstairs. She could not stop herself from smiling that one could think she had gone crazy, looking like a fool grinning to herself. Well, who wouldn't grin like crazy when your crush showed up on your scheduled date? 

 

As she arrived at the staff room, she found a worker looking uneasy. She smiled and asked, "Where's Yerin?" 

 

"Uhh she's outside... but you probably wouldn't—" 

 

Eunbi did not let her finish as she thanked her and went out of the room. She hurriedly walked towards the kitchen but no trace of Yerin. Thinking the girl might be waiting at customers' area, Eunbi happily jogged out of the working area. It didn't take long for her to find the love of her life, her lips automatically curving up at the sight. 

 

However, another person caught her eyes. Is that...? 

 

Eunbi felt her mood drop, her smile vanished as it turned into a frown.

 

“Unnie,” she called, approaching Yerin who was about to take her seat. “What is he doing here?”

 

“Yerin and I—”

 

“I’m not talking to you,” she sternly said as she gave him a quick glance that could pass as a glare. Then, she looked at Yerin, “Why are you with this man?”

 

Sensing the Eunbi’s anger rising, Yerin smiled at the man before grabbing the younger girl’s wrist, “Let’s talk outside.”

 

Yerin dragged Eunbi out of the café and into the alley beside it. The latter just let herself be dragged, clearly seeming to know what was happening. As they finally stopped, Yerin let go of her wrist and faced her, about to speak, but Eunbi beat her to it.

 

“Did you... Did you bring him here?”

 

There was a silence as Yerin stared at Eunbi who whispered the question, but both could feel that the intensity was a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter