The One that Got Away

Pages and Bookmarks
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hi.This was supposed to be the oneshot for gfriend's 70th win. I actually didn't open this draft after their promotions ended cuz I wanted to focus more on the ending of my other fic. However, I had a personal matter to prioritize so I wasn't able to continue writing the past weeks. It's sad cuz I really wanted to post the last chap today (Yerin's bday) but I couldn't fjsdfds. So I opened this draft 3 days ago? and just continued it haha. and this didn't turn out the way I wanted to but I hope it's okay for yall:D

(and pls ignore typos)

**********

 

Eunbi watches as a very familiar blonde haired girl opens the door out of the building for another girl. She looks closely and sniggers immediately after seeing who the other girl is. That new girl from the HR department.


“You look like a stalker.”


Eunbi jumps, the iced Americano in her hand spills a bit. She glares at the culprit and rushes to ask a sheet of tissue from the front desk. “Can you not do that?”


“What? I’m not doing anything. If ever, it’s you who’s doing weird things in here.”


“I was just about to leave okay? I just saw… them.” Eunbi’s voice falters, her eyes flash a defeated look before she shakes her head. “I’m on my way home, can you give me a ride? I can’t fetch my car until next week so…”


Yewon laughs a bit and hangs her arm around Eunbi’s shoulders before dragging the latter outside the building and towards the parking lot. Eunbi is thankful but  Yewon seems to not care about her drink that keeps on spilling in her hand. 


---


"We have exams tomorrow and you look like ." I told her as she took the seat across me.


"She broke up with me."


"She what?!"


"Don't make me say it again." Her voice sounded weak and tears began forming in her eyes. In an instant, I transferred to her side and hesitantly wrapped my arm around her shoulder.


"I'm sorry..."


It was the only thing I could say.


---


June is one of the worst months of the year, Eunbi thinks. There's no way no accountant has ever complained or at least thought about that. Which is why she is confused seeing her colleague who has been bright and smiley all day despite the paperwork they need to finish.


"Yerin," she calls the blonde woman. "Tell me, are you on drugs?"


Yerin's eyes widen. "What? Of course not!"


"Won a lottery?"


"I can only hope I did."


"Bought a new car?"


"I just bought one. Why would I buy another?"


"Or you managed to date a dozen girls over the weekend?"


"H-Hey. Why would I date that much." Her eyes blink and she looks at Eunbi just in time as the girl rolls her own eyes at her.


"We all know here you are fully capable of doing so." Yerin blushes but immediately regains herself as she glares at Eunbi. The latter just lets out a little laugh. "Anyway, I just wanna ask what got you so happy that even during one of our most hectic days, you're still smiling like an idiot."


"Hey I don't smile like an idiot!" Yerin rebuts, her glare darkening but as soon as Eunbi playfully stares back, she lets her off the hook. "Brother's military service is over today. I'm going home to have dinner with the family."

 

"That's great! You've been looking forward to this."


"I know," the two of them exchange beams and Yerin brings herself closer to Eunbi's table, pulling her office chair with her using her . "Do you want to come with me?"


"H-Huh?"


"It would be wonderful to introduce you to my parents."


Eunbi blinks and from the corner of her eyes, she sees Yewon eyeing her. "W-Well yeah definitely b-but don't you have someone to introduce to them? I mean it would be more wonderful to introduce your girlfriend, right?"


"Oh sheesh. You know I don't have one," Yerin says and Eunbi almost sniggers. "Not officially, at least."


"Well yeah you go date everyone and not take them seriously, what a playgirl Jung Yerin."


Yerin chuckles, "I can't."


"Why?"


"I just can't. Besides, I don't want commitments. Everyone knows that." Yerin shrugs and when Eunbi rolls her eyes again, she latches onto her. "So, you'll go with me?"


Eunbi can feel her cheeks heating up. It isn't helping that Yewon is throwing her sly looks from the corner. She just nods and stutters a yes before glaring at Yerin to shoo away the woman.

 

When she gets back to her work, she knows she's screwed up. She can't focus anymore and there's still a lot to do.


Damn Jung Yerin


---


"I want to slap that annoying smirk on your face so much." I rolled my eyes at her. Her grin widened and I huffed in annoyance as I walked faster to leave her behind.


"Oh come on, it's clear that I won the bet. I deserve that unlimited ice cream we agreed as a price."


"It was only one point! This is unfair!"


"Not my fault you forgot to double rule the final answers."


I glared at her as I don't want to be reminded of my stupidity. "Just shut up and tell me where you want to have your ice cream."


"Mr. Jack's."


"Mr. Jack's?!" My eyes widened as I looked at her in disbelief. "No ing way. That place is expensive as hell."


"You heard me well," she grinned again and clung onto my arms. "Let's go."


"You're joking, aren't you?" I asked her desperately as she started dragging me to leave the campus. "Oh god this will cost me a week of allowance."


---


Eunbi swears to god Yerin's parents are just as dorky as the woman is. When they welcomed them earlier that night, Yerin's mom hugged her like she's a long lost family member. Yerin's dad stayed behind but Eunbi sure saw how he laughed at her perplexed reaction.


As the desert comes in, it's only then Eunbi realizes Yerin has not properly introduced her. Her parents know her name and that's probably because Yerin had told them about her bringing someone. But Eunbi did not hear Yerin introducing her as what she is to the latter. Did she tell her parents, Eunbi's her friend or a coworker or something else?


Eunbi wants to know because with how Yerin's family treats her, it feels like they're welcoming her as a member.


"Eunbi?"


"Ah y-yes?"


"We're really happy to have you tonight. Please take care of our Yerin." Yerin's dad tells her.


"Of course Mister Jung," she smiles and looks at Yerin. "A lot of people care for her and that includes me."


Yerin smiles and they share a look. Eunbi instantly diverts her attention back to the dessert. She is expecting Yerin to do the same but to her surprise, she feels a familiar hand snaking under the table. Flustered, her cheeks start to heat up and as the blonde finally finds her hand, holds, and squeezes it, Eunbi knows she’s already red as a tomato. When she looks at Yerin, the girl is engaged in a staring contest with her brother who seems to notice the two.

 

Eunbi tries to listen properly as Yerin's dad starts talking about his son's plans in starting a business. She can feel herself getting light-headed, especially when Yerin entwines their fingers. She just keeps on smiling, concealing the commotion she's feeling in her chest.


---


"Come on, my friends are already waiting."

 

She dragged me softly towards the parking lot of the university. Although hesitant, I just let her. It was not like I had a choice anyway.



"Are you sure it's okay for me to tag along? It's your bonding with them I don't want to bother you guys."


"You are not bothering anyone. Besides, I'm pretty sure you will click with them just fine."


"I swear to god, if this becomes a disaster, I'm not talking to you for a week."


She looked at me and smiled. "It's a deal then. Now, get inside my car."


---


"Thanks for the ride, Yerin." Eunbi says, unbuckling her seatbelt as Yerin pulls into the parking lot. "And for the dinner, of course. I enjoyed it."


"My family enjoyed your company too. Thank you for coming." Yerin smiles at her.


"Take care driving to your apartment. See you at the office." Eunbi smiles back and moves to get out of the car.


"I'll accompany you to your place."


"No, it's okay. You've done enough." Eunbi rebuts but Yerin is already closing the door, intentionally not listening to her. She sighs and gets out of the car as well. "You don't listen to people, do you?"


Yerin just chuckles and lets Eunbi lead the way to her place. The ride in the elevator is silent yet comfortable in a way. No one dares to speak. Eunbi thinks Yerin is tired but when she looks at her, the blonde is already smiling, her eyes fixed on Eunbi. Before the latter can even react, the elevator suddenly opens and Eunbi is more than thankful for that.


They reach her place and Eunbi turns to face Yerin.


"I'll go now. Rest well, Eunbi."


"Take care."


Yerin smiles and starts walking back to where the Elevator is while Eunbi stays still, waiting for her to enter. When she does, she gives Eunbi a last wave. The latter waves back, a smile plastered on her face before she types her pin to open her apartment. What a day.


---


"I told you to stop overworking yourself. Look at where you are right now because of your stubbornness."
 

"Are you scolding me now Mom?" I teased, hoping I could erase the frown in her face. I felt sorry that I made her worry.
 

"Stop it." She sternly said and I knew I have to take her words seriously. "The nurse told me you're okay to go. You're staying at my place tonight and until I'm assured you're completely healed."
 

"What? It's okay. The dorm—“
 

"They won't let visitors stay overnight there and it's not advisable to leave you alone."
 

I frowned, "I can take care of myself."


"I know but it's better to have someone around you." She said without even looking at me as she was busy gathering my things. I sighed and stopped arguing. She already warned me about this and I knew I wouldn't win against her. It was my fault why I ended up collapsing.


---


Eunbi weakly gathers her things, thanking the heavens for finally being able to go home. She stayed for a few more hours to finish the report she needs to submit tomorrow and she's exhausted, her body wanting to slump on her bed.
 

"Hey."
 

Eunbi looks up as a familiar voice fills the stillness and silence in the office.
 

"Yerin? Why are you still here?" She asks, scanning the place. She really thought she's the only employee who stayed for overtime. Yewon was the last person who left earlier and that was almost an hour ago. She really didn't see Yerin leave but the latter looked like in a rush earlier when she gathered her things thirty minutes before the office work ended.

 

"I bumped into Yewon somewhere and she told me you stayed to finish some work. I thought you might have not eaten dinner yet so I bought some take outs." Yerin smiles hesitantly.


"Thank you but," Eunbi gulps, a familiar softness creeping in her chest. "You really didn't have to."
 

"But I want to. Besides, I'm free and I've got things to grab here anyway."
 

Eunbi stares for a moment before she sighs in defeat. "Come on then. Join me."


"It's all for you. And actually..."


"You had dinner already? Must be one of your dates." Eunbi teases but the smile she gives off doesn’t really feel genuine at all.


"Yes— No. I mean," Yerin scratches her nape and takes a seat beside Eunbi. "Yes that I had dinner already and no for the date."


Eunbi eyes her slyly. "That's unusual,"
 

"I've stopped that for weeks already, in case you didn't notice."
 

She knows that, of course. And Yerin knows that she's not oblivious to that. Well, they've been hanging around the past weeks. After Yerin had introduced Eunbi to her parents, the two have begun eating together when they are both free. When Yewon teases Eunbi about it, the latter just shoots a glare and explains that they are nothing but friends.

 

"Oh?" Eunbi playfully questions.
 

"Yeah. You don't believe me?" Yerin asks as she puts her elbow on the table and rests her chin on her palm, staring at Eunbi who's about to begin eating.
 

"Should I believe you?" Eunbi jokes, earning a soft smack from the other girl. "Kidding. Have you grabbed your things already? It's getting pretty late."
 

"Later. Just continue eating, dummy. I know you're hungry."
 

Eunbi bites her lip and turns her focus on the food. How can she eat peacefully when Yerin's beside her, looking at her every move? It should feel creepy for someone to stare at you when eating but with Yerin's soft gaze? Eunbi feels herself slowly melting.
 

This is not healthy.


---


"Don't drink too much." She whispered against my ear. I looked at her and rolled my eyes in response.
 

"You invited me here and now you're telling me to not drink."
 

She chuckled.
 

"I said don't drink too much, not don't drink at all." She explained and gave Eunha another bottle when the latter went back to our table.
 

"Why aren't you drinking?"

 

She smiled at me and whispered, "I have to drive you home later and make sure you're safe."

 

The next thing I knew was she held my hand and asked me if we could dance. It took me seconds to nod, dumbly at that. She just smiled again and pulled me to join our friends on the dance floor. Even the blasting music couldn't mask the loud thumping of my heart.
 

But as I thought the night would continue that way, I saw her ex-girlfriend approaching the dance floor. And she was looking at her. It didn't take long for me to realize what will happen next so I excused myself to give way for whatever that was.
 

She was confused at my sudden actions but I knew I had to leave. I couldn't bear the thought of seeing them talking.
 

That was when I realized how much I have grown to like her. And I was stupid for that.


---


"Yewon ah." Eunbi calls, poking her friend who's under the blanket. "Am I annoying you?"
 

"Is it not obvious? Well Miss Hwang Eunbi I'm trying to sleep here after a hectic day and you barge in my apartment and start calling my name over and over like a mad woman then if I ask you what's wrong you'd just whisper Yerin's name!" Yewon explodes, now facing the other girl who's sitting on her bed. They both had a rough day at work but it seems that Eunbi is not planning to rest sooner. Sometimes, she wonders how her friend can be so physically drained but still be able to stay up late.
 

"I'm sorry..." Eunbi mutters, hanging her head low.
 

Yewon instantly softens at the sight. How can she get mad at this hopeless being? Eunbi sure kind of annoyed her with how she acts and for ruining her peace but looking at how troubled she is at that moment, Yewon feels the need to comfort her friend rather than scold her. She sits up and releases a breath before smiling softly. "I'm not mad. Tell me, what about Yerin? It won't help if you'll continue doing this."
 

"Promise me you won't laugh."
 

"I promise."
 

Eunbi glances at her friend before looking down to her fingers. "I think I love her," she says and bites her lip. Now that she verbally admitted it, it feels so true and real. Well, it is real. She can feel it too much that she's going crazy. This is the reason why she, after an exhausting day, decided to ruin her friend's peace. She just couldn’t stay still in her own place. She felt suffocated and she knew she needed someone to talk to.
 

Yewon doesn't laugh but her unsurprised reaction has made Eunbi furrow her brows. "Don't look at me like that," she tells her.
 

"You just realized that?" Yewon asks, sarcasm is evident in her voice causing Eunbi to grab a pillow and hit her with it. The former just laughs and the two of them are suddenly engaged in a dorky pillow fight.
 

Soon enough, the playfulness is replaced by a serious question from Yewon. "Are you planning to tell her?"
 

"What— of course no!" Eunbi exclaims, feeling heat rising up her cheeks.


"I don't see why not. What's stopping you?"


Eunbi looks at her solemnly and a sigh escapes her lips as bits of her memories begin flashing in her head.


"Yewon ah... you know what happened years ago..."


---


Her car halted in front of the university dormitory but we both stayed still, not wanting to part ways just yet. The party was fun and I enjoyed it mainly because of her. But I could not brush off the heaviness I felt which was also mainly caused by her (and her reappearing ex-girlfriend). I was itching to know what they talked about but unless she tells me herself, I knew I have no right to demand for that.


"Rest well," she said, breaking the silence. "I had a lot of fun. Thank you for the night."
 

"I also had fun. Thank you for the ride." I simply replied. I knew she was looking at me but I just couldn't bring myself to look back. It was melting me but at the same time, it was hurting a part of me.


I hurriedly grabbed my purse to get ready to leave but my clumsy self just had to show herself in midst of this awkward situation. I accidentally dropped my purse so of course, I reached down for it but my head hit something. I sat back up and groaned in pain. I heard her unbuckle her seatbelt and felt her leaning closer. I knew she was worried but I was more worried for myself because my heart was at it again, beating crazily against my chest.


"Where does it hurt?" She asked gently and removed my hand on my forehead. Her whole attention was on me and somehow, I felt suffocated.


"I'm o-okay." I told her, my eyes avoiding hers. I knew I was blushing and I was hoping she would think that it was caused by the alcohol I consumed earlier.


But instead of believing my words, she only leaned closer and held my head. "There's a bump on your forehead, it looks—“


I didn't let her finish as I grabbed her hand to get it off me. I looked at her to tell her that I was really okay but I became speechless that instant. She was so close that I could feel her breathing against my face.


I wanted to lean away but my own body was not cooperating. Even just breaking our eye contact, I couldn't do. My thoughts were all swarmed.


My grip around her wrist loosened and I felt her holding my hand after that. She held it gently and placed it on her shoulder, before settling hers on my waist. She was staring at me while doing that and it felt like she could see through my soul.


Then, it happened so fast. She held my neck with her free hand and pulled me in for a kiss.


---


"So? I don't see it as a hindrance. If ever, what happened should be a lesson for the two of you. And maybe this time, things will work well."


"Lesson for us? It's clear that it was only me who screwed up. Yerin did nothing wrong." Eunbi looks down again and releases a deep breath. "Besides, I don't think we will work."


"How can you know if you haven't even tried yet?" Yewon asks as she holds her friend's hand. "Do you regret what happened before?"


Does Eunbi regret it? She isn't really sure. Yerin was a good friend and after what happened to the two of them, she still is. Eunbi didn't lose the friendship she treasures so much. But if it's about the chances for romance, it's a huge question mark for her. She would admit she felt something for Yerin that time. And she knows she'd be lying to herself if she would deny that what ifs didn't cross her mind. What if she gave them a chance? What if she didn't overthink about things?


Now that she has fallen deeply for her, thinking about that has gotten a lot harder.


"Actually I just... I don't know," Eunbi forces a laugh. "I'm sorry I sound stupid."


Yewon hits her softly, dismissing her remark. "If you don't know then try figuring it out with her. Give it a chance. Don't torture yourself like this. Don't think about what could've happened in the past or what will happen in the future. What matters is your feelings for her right now. Is it worth the risk? Is SHE worth the risk?"


Eunbi looks up at Yewon and stares into her eyes.


"You just have to ask yourself the right questions Eunbi yah."


---


It took me seconds to register what happened and kiss her back. Her lips were soft and there was no taste of alcohol as she promised to not drink earlier. It was me who tasted like beer but with how she kept my lips with hers, I knew she doesn't mind.


I wrapped my arms around her neck and scooted closer. I could feel her small smile against my lips and in that brief moment, I boldly her lips and slid my tongue in.


I don't know if it was the alcohol that made me feel brave but I knew I was sober. I only had one more bottle of beer when I got back to our table earlier. That was after I saw her ex approaching her on the dance floor.


Oh right, her ex.


In an instant, I broke the kiss and leaned away. This isn't right. This shouldn't have happened. This is definitely wrong.


She has an ex-girlfriend who probably wants to get back together. They broke up six months ago and it's definitely not easy to move on with that short time. The kiss shouldn’t have happened. It was too early for that, and why would she kiss me after a talk with her ex? Does she even feel something for me?

 

I shook my head. No, I certainly don't want to be a rebound and I'm supposed to just be someone who'd help her be distracted. More importantly, she is my friend and I don't want to lose her.

 

When I finally looked at her, she had this confused expression. I knew I had to get away from her soon so I forced a smile and grabbed my purse.

 

"We're great friends, Yerin. Let's stay that way." I whispered and hurriedly left.


---


"Are you okay?"


Eunbi's thoughts vanish into the thin air as someone evades her silence. She turns around and sees Yerin, holding a cup of coffee.


"You got here first but I finished making my coffee before you. You are spacing out. Are you not feeling well?"


Yerin walks closer and touches her forehead, "Your temperature feels okay."


"I'm f-fine."


"Are you sure?" Yerin asks and Eunbi just nods. "Alright, I'll go ahead then," she smiles at her and leaves.


Eunbi releases a breath. Now that she has fully admitted and accepted her feelings for the girl, interacting with her like that feels too much and somehow, it's making her feel uneasy. She wonders how she managed to be casual with her before.


Grabbing her cup of coffee, Eunbi sighs and goes back to her table. She should not think about that for now. It's not helping her focus on her job and she has to finish everything for today unless she wants to stay for overtime again.
 

Thankfully, things went well and she's going home on time. She's been drained these days and it's a great opportunity to rest early. It's a Friday so she can rest longer the next morning which she's really thankful for. She was thinking of getting a massage but she decided to take the bus to the office this morning. It would be a hassle and really tiring if she would commute.


"Are you going home now?"


Yerin appears, also ready to leave.


"Yeah. It's an exhausting day. I just want to rest." Eunbi simply replies as she enters the elevator. Yerin follows in casually.


"I can drop you off," she offers and smiles at Eunbi. The latter looks away immediately as she feels her cheeks heating up. "I saw you getting off the bus this morning so I know you didn't drive yourself here."


"You don't have to. I know you're just as tired as I am." Eunbi declines. Honestly, she wants it but considering how messed up her emotions that moment? S

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter