EPILOGUE

The Prince and The Pauper

It’s a been a year and Onew looks over at Taemin who is beaming at him. Minho and Jonghyun couldn’t make it for his graduation but they said they will come over for the summer. He doubts they can do so much more, his training starts two weeks from now. It’s almost funny how much his life changed after a year. He couldn’t even begin to imagine years ago that he will be graduating in this foreign school. As a kid, he always saw himself graduating over at Lancelot. But that was from the past. 




Has it really been a year? He asks himself all morning. And yet, here he is finally finished with this college education. Ushering into a new world and a new responsibility. 




“congratulations!” Taemin tells him, “everyone sends their greeting.”




His face softens with the word everyone. Key had never called him or written him, no contact of any kind. It was an unspoken rule. They are not going to play around with what the world decided for them. They should be apart, they should stay apart and fix themselves first. At time, in the first months of being alone in Paris, he couldn’t even bear it. But he remembers what Key said, that Paris is a wonderful city and he won’t even notice anything. And so he did, he toured every place in Paris. Immersed himself in art. He wonders of Key is the same, he always knew Key looked at things in a different matter. He is an artist after all. 




“ you okay?” Taemin asks him, jolting him out of his thoughts. 




“ perfect.” He responds and Taemin frowns. 




“ well, not yet-” he gestures towards his side, like somehow, if he waves his hand in the right way Key will suddenly appear. 




“ Let’s not talk about that, so, how are you?”




He meets his friends, Paris has indeed been good to him. Everyone is nice and the education is challenging. Leeteuk called him, saying he cannot go for the PR said it would be a security nightmare. His parents flew in two days ago. And the Queen, she sent a letter and Onew just read it. They never talked, he never planned to. He will be cordial, as cordial as he can. The Queen is still very much alive and powerful, and he is agreeing to be a pawn in her game, only for now. He just realized what Key said ; that he should study and build himself up if he wants to be influential. 




After the pleasantries, they go to a restaurant to catch up and celebrate. 




“ you look tired,” Taemin states. 




“ I am, I just packed my stuff from the uni house. I already have a key to my new apartment.” He relates and remembers the horror of packing again but he is excited for an apartment. A house all on his own. 




“ uh, Key told me to tell you something.” His words startle Onew. Key never asked anyone to pass a message along. 




“ he says, once you come to your new apartment. You should open the envelope he gave you”




The envelope. He is still keeping it, not touching it or trying to cheat his way to find out the content. He just nods and Taemin waits for him to explain but he doesn’t.




“ an apartment for you? I thought the royal family will buy an estate for you,” Taemin exclaims, changing the subject. 




“ well, it’s not just an apartment. Every tenant in there has a connection to the royal family. Past employees , present and all those things. And Jinu recommended it, telling me that It is not too flashy. ”




They finish the dinner and say their goodbyes, as Onew enters his room, he holds the envelope in his hands. What does this mean? They have, two years to go. That would be fairly quick. Taemin is still in school. Jonghyun is off for a career in songwriting. Minho is being drafted to play on the national team. His parents are in good health. Kangta, last he heard is still undergoing therapy in a private facility. 




Everyone seems to be fine. 




So why does it still feel so empty? 




//




The Apartment building complex made him grin widely. It’s design is that of the 1920s but you know that it’s not really from the 1920’s. Flowers and plants line the balconies and the place is out the streets. There is a guard downstairs who greets him and he greets back. Two guards are with him as well, only to take him there. This complex is secured as it is. Plus, the people here don’t crowd him that much. They keep their distance from him. 




He looks up, 




Queen Anne Apartment Complex Section B room 512. 




He memorized his new address and he quickly spots it. As he opens the door, he feels elated. This is exactly what he wanted, a place that almost looks like a loft. Not the clutter and the big furniture he is used to. He feels like he can breathe. He dismisses the guards and sits down for a while, picturing how he will fix everything. Then he remembers the envelope Key gave him. 




He pulls it out of his bag and opens it. He reaches in and takes out a Key. What does this open? He reaches out again and there is a small piece of paper. In front, it says. 




Come and find me 




As he flips the paper, there, written in his familiar - 



Queen Anne Apartment Complex Section B room 511.

He breaks into a wide grin and he finally understands. He stands up, rushing out of his room and stand outside his neighbour. Room 511. 


“ I found you.” He says to himself and knocks.  


FIN //
Author's Notes:
1. Thank you very much for all the support you have given me throughout this series. I will admit, at first, i didn't want to start this because I feel like there are less readers of this group and this pairing. but still, I pushed through because I believe in the story. so, to those who commented, read and recommended this. thank you! ^^
2. I am still finishing a three-shot fanfic for another fandom. after that, if my work will not be too hard, I might proceed to my other series. with the prompt: Daddy!Onew and Nanny!Key
3. If you want to read my other onkey series fics, you can either click the fayeiii tag at the onkey livejournal community or go to my asianfanfics account: "accio-onkey"