Tea Time

Once Upon A Summer

 

Junhyung glanced over his shoulder to make sure both their grandmas were out of ear shot before saying. "You?"

"Yes, me. What are you doing here?" Hyorin frowned.

"This is my grandmother's house," he stated. Then, he laughed. "And she told me that I’ll have another friend. And she said that we will surely get along! I won't even touch you with a 20 metre pole. And she said that we'll get along!"

"And I'd rather die of loneliness than 'get along' with you," Hyorin glared at him. "Now if you'll excuse me, I have a cake to eat." And she passed him, leaving him to close the door. That sight was quite amusing, for her.

"It seems like you guys know each other already?" Hyorin's grandmother asked her. She had witnessed their exchange of words.

"Yes," she said. She didn't want to lie to old people, especially her own grandmother, her own family.

But Junhyung said "no" at the same time. Hyorin glared at his stupidity.

"Young people, Jaesoon," Boram – Junhyung’s grandmother, chuckled. "Very shy."

"Reminds me of the old times." Jaesoon said.

"Now why don't we sit?" Boram gestured them to sit on a round table. They were 4 of them but they were 6 chairs. Hyorin took her seat beside her grandma who was sitting beside Junhyung's grandmother. Junhyung sat beside his grandmother.

"Junnie, call your cousins now, why don’t you?” Boram asked of him.

"Jinon! Jiyeon! Tea time!" Junhyung shouted from the table, clearly forgetting or not bothering to show his manners in front of guests. That action of his earned a soft slap to his shoulder by his grandmother.

"You go to - " his grandmother started.

"Okay okay," he cut her off and was about to open a sliding glass door that leads to the backyard when the little girl and boy she met at the ice cream parlour pushed Junhyung out of the way.

"Junnie babo!" The little girl chanted happily and sat beside Boram while her brother sat beside her. Which left only the seat beside Hyorin. Before sitting beside her, Junhyung pulled the little girl's hair and smirked. In school, many girls would probably melt to see him smirk. Hyorin scowled in disgust because of the thought.

"Junhyung," the little girl started but was shocked to see Hyorin ,"Ah! Jinon, it's the ice cream girl!" She pointed at her.

"Hi," Hyorin said.

“Hi,” they said together.

"What's your name?" Jiyeon asked.

"Kwon Hyorin. And you?”

"Ah," Jiyeon stood on her chair. Junhyung groaned and mumbled something that sounded like 'not again, hope she fell off her chair'. Jiyeon started, "I am Yong Jiyeon. 8 years old. This is my older brother by 15 minutes, not identical twin brother, Yong Jinon. This is my grandma who bakes really nice cakes, Yong Boram. And that grumpy mister nobody there is Yong Junhyung. We are a family." Boram started clapping. So did Jaesoon. Hyorin joined them, followed by Jinon.  Then, Jiyeon bowed. “Let’s eat!”

They chatted, well, the two grandmothers did most of the talking. Jiyeon fought a lot with her twin brother, Jinon. Apparently, they were discussing about who was the best turtle from the cartoon show Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  Junhyung ate the delicious chocolate cake silently beside her.

“Junhyung,” his grandmother asked, “when did you say you’re going out with your friends?”

“I didn’t.” He answered, not liking the tone of that his grandmother had used.

“Great then. You can bring Hyorin too! ”

Hyorin almost choked on her cake. “No no no. There’s no need to,” she said quickly.

“What she said,” Junhyung agreed with her for the first time. He made a mental note to not agree with Hyorin ever again.

“Oh, Hyorin. You must be bored alone. It’s better for you to hang out with people of your age. Junhyung spends every summer here. He has many friends. And as a resident here, I’d like it if you feel welcomed and comfortable here,” Boram reasoned with her. “The beach here is also very nice.”

“And your old grandma is so busy with Boram to plan the annual summer festival with the rest of the neighbourhood club,” Jaesoon added. “If you’re to be with me, you’ll be alone for most of the summer. Junhyung can drive you around with his motorcycle.”

“But-“ Junhyung was about to complain.

“No buts. You ‘but’ with me I’ll tell your parents to cancel the winter trip,” Boram threatened.

“Not fair!” Junhyung whined like a little kid. “Fine.” Then, Hyorin’s grandmother raised her eyebrows at her, waiting for her to agree.

“Okay?” She said uncertainly. This summer is going to be the worst. A summer with Yong Junhyung. Great. Just great.

“That’s settled then,” Boram said cheerfully. Junhyung rolled his eyes.

“I’m going to watch tv,” Junhyung took a slice of cake before proceeding to the living room.

“Me too!” Jinon said and he asked Jiyeon to follow him. “Let’s annoy him. Plan number 6,” he said. Then, they high fived each other. Hyorin decided that she liked the twins. Super cool for an eight years old.

“C’mon! You too!” Jiyeon dragged her to the living room. The television was on to an action movie. It was Lord of The Rings.

“My precious,” Jinon mimicked Gollum and snatched the remote from Junhyung.

“Yaaah!” Junhyung who was lying on the couch, stood up immediately. “You guys are so annoying. Give it to me. Right. Now.”

“Come and get it!” Jinon stuck out his tongue.

Junhyung came close to him but he tossed the remote over to Jiyeon who was on the side of the room. Junhyung approached her and she threw it to Hyorin who caught the remote. Junhyung stop dead in his track. No way was he going to even come close to her. Hyorin gave him a sweet smile to annoy him more.

“Fine. Whatever you want. May the ghost of Gollum haunt you both in your sleep.” Junhyung slumped himself on the couch. He was starting to hate his summer.

“Yay!” Jiyeon cheered. “I want to watch Barbie.” She took the remote from Hyorin and quickly changed the channel.

“No! Masked Rider!” Jinon objected.

“Barbie! You watched Power Rangers yesterday! And Ultraman the day before yesterday!”

“That was yesterday and the day before yesterday. This is today! Masked Rider! He is supposed to defeat the alien that came from Jupiter today!”

“You already knew! BARBIE!”

“Lord of the Rings!” Junhyung joined the war.

“Hyorin?” Jiyeon asked, making her best puppy eyes to gain Hyorin’s support.

“Barbie?” supported Hyorin. “Well, Jinon watched yesterday and the day before, right? It’s only fair if Jiyeon watches the tv today.”

“Okay,” Jinon sighed in defeat. He wanted to be in Hyorin’s good side because honestly, he liked people to think good of him.

“Ugh, how fair,” Junhyung whined again.

“Wow, you can make the twins quite!” The two grandmothers suddenly appeared. It was Boram who spoke.

“I guess.” Hyorin smiled.

“That’s good then! We,” Boram pointed to herself and Jaesoon, “have a dinner tonight.”

“Yeah?”

“You and Junhyung can take care of the twins!” Jaesoon continued.

“You know, Junhyung really needs help since he can’t take care of the mischievous twins himself. He’s really hopeless with kids. So you and him will take care of them tonight until we come back,” Boram concluded.

“WHAT?” Junhyung was now on his feet.

“Hyorin, you can just stay here. It’s late now. I’m going home to change,” Hyorin’s grandmother stated.

“But, I want to change too.”

“There’s no need to. You can always borrow Junhyung’s clothes,” Boram teased.

“NO WAY!” The both of them said together.

“You’ll make a great team then,” Hyorin’s grandmother chuckled again before leaving.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi, I just can't resist naming someone Jaesoon after hearing about the news XD You get me? haha.