obliviousness ain't it

Spaces Between Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

a/n: thank you for patiently waiting!!!! sorry for grammar mistakes and mispellings im too lazy to proofread rn... enjoy the second chapter~

 

 

It's not like she didn't expect this. It's not like she didn't expect waking up to the sounds of airhorns blasted in the cabin and annoyed groans from a full cabin of girls but it surely didn't help her get rid of the grogginess that she woke up with.

 

Sitting up from her bunk bed, Sana rubbed her eyes tiredly and looked towards her left. Nayeon lazily climbed down the bunk ladder with her eyes closed, smacking her lips.

 

"Morning." Nayeon sighed out lowly. Sana exchanged morning greetings as she and the rest of the girls gather onto the wooden floors as they wait for Jihyo's instructions. 

 

You will find your jerseys we provided and a tracksuit with your name on it in the closets, wear accordingly and meet outside on the greens. 30 minutes til' 7:00am. Be ready everyone! 

 

Sana groaned as she walked back towards her bed and plopped down as she sees bunkmates leave towards the showers in pairs.

 

"16 girls.16 girls and they give us 2 showers." Nayeon irritatedly pointed out. Sana threw her sleeping mask on her face and sighed out. Even if there were only two showers within the entire cabin, she was just glad that her classmates weren't selfish and hogged up their time in the shower and remained on their tight schedule so everyone will be ready by 7 straight. 

 

Feeling energized and refreshed after feeling the hot stream of water hitting her bare skin, Sana skipped towards their bunk and sees Nayeon with her reading glasses on. Sana didn't know Nayeon brought a book with her. 

 

"You're reading? This early in the morning?" Sana climbed up the ladder just to be welcomed by Nayeon's tablet with Hyunjin's contact name in bolded letters. Hyunjin and Nayeon were texting, that made a lot more sense. 

 

"Hm?" Nayeon looked up, mumming her cheeks. Sana grasped the situation and recalled them bumping into each other, which led to her thinking about the party topic they talked about. There's so many faculty around, how did the guys even find a way to sneak in booze, and when, because there were chaperones in every corner of the premise. 

 

"Ahh, Hyunjin's texting you about the party?" Sana asked, drying her damp hair by rubbing it in between her towels. Nayeon nodded, admitting the answer. Walking out in their purple and yellow tracksuits with their names imprinted in yellow bold lettering, Nayeon caught Sana up with the details about the secret party. 

 

Hyunjin and his boys had an outsider that they knew that lived close to this cabin resort and could sneak in some booze just enough for a small party, not enough for the entire school. Sana clearly understood that this will only be a small get-together so it'll be easier for them to attend, they just need to know when it'll happen.. until a voice behind them made them jump.

 

"There's a party going on? Where? I'm in." Seulgi said with a cute smile on her face, draping her arms around Nayeon and Sana. The two girls looked at each other until they both, in unison, denied Seulgi's act of skinship and completely denied the truth.

 

"There's no party, Sana was just telling me how she's missing out on a party and how she sacrificed it to be here instead. I wish there was a party." Nayeon lied with a poker face, making Sana blow up her cheeks and let air out from her nose. Nayeon's so good at on-the-spot improv, as expected from the best actress in their school's theater program. 

 

Seulgi pouted as she puffed out her cheeks, much like Sana, as she heard the news. "Why not throw a party with just us girls? I think it'd make all of us happy." 

 

Nayeon looked at Sana before replying. "Sounds like so much work, I think we would have to clean everything up. If we did threw one, you wanna clean up everyone's mess?" Seulgi dramatically shook her head and hands, indicating an obvious no. 

 

"Now that I think about it, let's not. Shhh, Miss Park's about to talk." Seulgi stated, looking at Jihyo in the same color tracksuit as the rest of the students as well with her clipboard in her hands. Jihyo announced the names of those who will be participating in the inflatable obstacle course, soccer, and kayaking. Thankfully, Sana and Nayeon were put in the same sport. The highlighted sports of the day will be soccer and Sana cannot wait to play.

 

Nayeon groaned, she hated sports. Running around chasing a ball repeatedly requires way too much body movement. Kayaking sounds like the only sport Nayeon is up for but not today apparently. Sana on the other hand already took off her track sweater and tied it around her waist. 

 

Soccer was Sana's favorite past time before high school began, so she has some sort of background knowledge on how to play. Not the best but definitely not the worst, especially if Nayeon's on the field with her. 

 

"You think we're gonna see Dahyun on the field today?" Nayeon directed towards Sana, who's stretching out her muscles from head to toe. With a hair-tie now in between her teeth as she grabs each strand of hair up into a high ponytail, Sana looked over at Nayeon who's just bending her legs side to side. 

 

"If luck wants to be on my side today, I'll get to see Dahyun." Sana continued to stretch her arms and neck muscles, shoulders in the process. Nayeon looked around the field and hovered her hand over her eyes, shading her eyesight to see better before groaning. Nayeon's shoes felt a little damp and as she looked down she realized her shoes were now muddy-brown. She completely stepped onto a small puddle of mud. 

 

Sana just glanced down at her shoes and chuckled. "If you're gonna have that type of luck today, man.. I don't even wanna know what my luck is going to look like."

 

Nayeon scoffed and walked towards the bench. She grabbed a dry towel and tried to wipe off the mud and soak in all the wetness from the shoes as much as possible until a faculty member blew his whistle. 

 

Alright, raise your hands if you're from Miss Park's class! The students who were sent by Jihyo raised their hands high up in the air with a wide, proud smile. 

 

And those who were sent from Seacoast, please raise your hands! A bunch of hands flew up in the air and Sana immediately had a mini heart attack. She's here? Sana spun her head around like a meerakat sticking their heads out from the ground below, trying to lock eyes with Dahyun. No luck, of course. 

 

Perfect! We'll go ahead and gear up first. Take off your tracksuits and throw on some cleats, high socks, and shin guards located below your benches. We'll start as soon as both teams are announced ready. 

 

Sana was still alert to see if she'll be able to see Dahyun today, but she hasn't seen her anywhere on the on field. Nayeon chose a pair of orange with yellow striped high socks and Sana chose pink with red striped high socks. Passing each other some shin guards for safety measures, Nayeon stopped and looked at the girl in a pink and white tracksuit. Blonde hair tied up tightly in a ponytail with her hands full of what seemed like cold beverages in packs. 

 

All the girls came rushing towards her all at once, and some guys did as well. It was all too much of a scene to look at really, even for Nayeon. Sana stopped putting in her shin guards when she saw Nayeon stopped. Sana let out a soft, 'eung?' and followed the older girl's line of vision to be met with the one and only, almighty, Kim Dahyun who of course is completely swarmed with both guys and girls left and right and it was igniting a fire in her chest. 

 

"Why are they all swarming around her?" Sana puffed out, tying her cleats laces a little too tight for her liking. She can't help it, seeing people act overly nice to her crush is a tough pill to swallow.

 

"If it's irritating you that bad, why won't you go do something about it?" Nayeon provoked, causing Sana to stand up with her big ego settling cockily on her shoulder. 

 

"You know what?! I will!" Sana said, walking towards Dahyun with her strong sense of pride on the line. Nayeon eyeing her every step. She's not gonna make it. 

 

As the students helped get the beverages off of Dahyun's hands, they all began walking alongside her back to their benches and Sana is now in full-view of Dahyun's vision, if the blonde would just lift her head up and look straight ahead, she would see Sana standing right there in front of her. But nope. 

 

Sana turned about face, and quickly power-walked back to where Nayeon was standing, with a smug look on her face.

 

"Retreating is not a bad solution." Sana tried to defend herself. Nayeon knowingly just pats her head and cupped her face with one hand. 

 

"."

 

Sana rolled her hands up to a fist and pretended to hit Nayeon with it.

 

A whistle was blown. 

 

Listen up! If you don't want to play the first game, feel free to sit out and you can join the next game. Stand up in front of the benches if you want to participate first!

 

The students listened and followed directions well. Those who sat down will participate in the game after the first game has finished. Sana looked over at the Seacoast's bench and saw Dahyun stand as well. Don't tell me Dahyun can also play soccer, was all Sana thought in her head. The legendary ace really has soccer on her lists of things she can also do? What can't this girl do? 

 

Very well. Choose 10 players to start and we can interchange and sub in and out if neccesary. 

 

Nayeon giggled as she pats Sana's . "Good luck!" Sana scrunched her nose and gave her a thumbs up. She has a feeling she'll really need it, knowing Dahyun's on the field too.

 

Two representatives from both teams both called out heads or tails on a coin and started the game. Screeching and supportive hollers voiced from both sides of the benches, cheering on for their assigned teams. As attractive as Dahyun was during the game, the sweat sliding down her forehead and dripping down her jawline, Sana tried her best to focus on her part of the game and scored a couple goals before the first game ends, giving their team a slight lead. 

 

Sana, for one, felt betrayed when her classmates came rushing towards Dahyun offering her a cold energy drink to drink out of, which she kindly rejected as she sits on the end of the bench sipping on her cold, water bottle. After all this time, Dahyun still hasn't paid any attention on Sana. It's all too good to be true anyway. 

 

Maybe she can't think like that. Maybe she just hasn't seen her yet. It's a big field and everyone's so busy focusing on the ball being dribbled around that looking their opponents in the face isn't really on top of their priority list. 

 

Even if Dahyun doesn't spare her a glance, Sana can't help but feel her head getting pulled towards Dahyun's direction. It may be one of the hottest sights she's ever seen. The way Dahyun undid her hair and let her blonde locks fall onto her back... that sight alone made all the girls on the field give out to the point where they had to lean onto each other to support each other's weight from falling onto the grassy fields. 

 

To top it all off, when she bunches her hair back up into a ponytail, Dahyun darted her tongue just a tad to her bottom lips as she lifted the bottom hem of her jersey to fan herself, revealing her tight abs forming underneath. 

 

Sana's face reddened at the sight and had to pull everything out of herself to slap herself back to reality. If she doesn't do something and quick, these unworthy competitors will gnaw at Dahyun until her chance has been stolen right underneath her nose.

 

Gathering up all the courage she has under that predicament, Sana pep-talked herself. It's really simple, just act natural. she won't think you're weird. come on sana, you can do it! actually, now that I think about it, maybe i can't...maybe I just should go back....

 

As she paces herself towards Dahyun, she heard someone call her name. "Sana!!"

 

Seriously, people either can hear her inner thoughts or they just have really good timing because she was starting to feel a little nervous just thinking about talking to her. Sana turned around at the voice and sees Irene walking towards her with a bottle of cold water in one hand and a smile plastered on her face. 

 

Seeing that Irene had no signs of sweat beads whatsoever, Sana assumed she sat out for this one. "You played well out there, I didn't know you could play like that." 

 

Sana smiled and thanked her for the beverage before swallowing a swig of water down her warm and parched throat. "I played when I had some downtime a while back, I missed it to be honest." She continued to down her water. 

 

Irene smiled and shoved her hands in her pockets. From an outsider's point of view, it may look like Irene is into Sana but Irene really just thought to herself how Sana stood out from the rest of the players playing out on the field and Sana is technically her roomate during this trip anyway, there's no harm in offering some water to a fellow classmate. 

 

"I see you're looking at hotshot over there, you gonna go for it?" Irene asked, catching Sana completely off guard.

 

Accidentally choking on some water she sipped, Sana wiped the excess water off her lips and looked at Dahyun over her shoulders. Dahyun's smiling and patting her forehead with the back of her wrist as she talks to a fellow soccer player. Sana scoffs as she sees one of her own classmates flexing her muscles to impress Dahyun. Surprisingly, it might be working.

 

Sana heaves out a defeated sigh and clicks her tongue. "Does she know she's trying to flirt with her? Look at her, she's smiling away like there's no tomorrow. Imagine making her smile like that." 

 

Sana endlessly ranted, crossing her arms and leaning all her weight onto one leg. Irene looked past Sana's shoulders and looked at Dahyun draping her legs over the bench so her legs are on either side of the wooden seat, "What's stopping you?" 

 

Sana pouted and let her arms drop. "This." Pointing to her chest where her heart lies, Irene put a supporting hand on her shoulder, "That, will get you to places. Just take the first step. You'll be one step closer than before right?" 

 

Irene smiled and returned to her girlfriend who's stretching out her muscles, getting ready to watch the second game. Sana smiled and waved goodbye before taking a deep breath. 

 

It's not like she knew Dahyun on a personal level or anything but for some reason, thinking about her, looking at her makes her heart beat faster than its normal pace. Sana was so lost in her thought that she didn't hear Nayeon call her out. "Sana, hey, snap out of it buddy." 

 

Sana blinked a couple times, waking herself up before looking at Nayeon, blinking once, twice. "Yes?" 

 

"I said, did you feel that stinging sensation?" 

 

Sana looked at her confusingly and scratched her head cutely at an angle. "Stinging what? What are you talking about?"

 

Nayeon scoffed, "Incredible, you're just as oblivious as she is." 

 

Nayeon spun her around and Sana

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter