switch-a-roo

Spaces Between Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

a/n: uwu for bestfriend!sanayeon and bestfriend!mihyun ~ lessssgetit (p.s. i'll edit when i come back to this. hehehehe) minor descriptions, like a smidge. 

 

 

Nayeon walked into the room to be met with Sana sitting in her bed in the top bunk, curling herself up under the blanket. Nayeon sighed as she climbed up. She knew the younger was frustrated by the blonde, but to the point of creating a little crater of tears on the pillows? Maybe she's really deep in it for her to react this way.

 

She gotta remind herself to wash these tonight. 

 

"Sana.." 

 

Nayeon shook her shoulders softly. The brunnette stayed unfazed, leaning her face deeper in the pillows, hiding away from her. Nayeon knew Sana long enough to know that even if she was in her emotional state, the best thing for her to do is to just slowly her hair and bring her closer to her embrace. Sana always liked the closeness and affection.

 

The older slowly moved towards the side of the crying baby and sat up against the headboard. Sana sniffled but her sobs did come to a stop as she felt familiar hands run through her slightly wavy brown hair. 

 

Sana couldn't see it but she envisioned it. Nayeon was definitely looking at her with a motherly smile. "You're a huge crybaby, Sana." 

 

Sana stirred until she faced Nayeon, who continuously kept her hair from the tip of her head down to the lengths of her hair. Sana rubbed her nose and replied. 

 

"Is that so wrong? You try being in my shoes. I'm irritated, Nayeon." 

 

Nayeon broke her gaze away from Sana and looked up, eyeing the large clock in front of her. 15 minutes until noon. They gotta meet up with the rest of their teammates for their lunch or else, they'll start searching for them and witness Sana with swollen eyes, Nayeon thought to herself. 

 

She thought of the best way to approach this situation, both logically and emotionally in a way where it'll break sense into her mind yet assure her that she'll be stronger after this. 

 

"I-I really do think that Dahyun is interested in you." Nayeon started, making Sana shift her eyes up with hope. "But by the way she is, how her personality is, Dahyun really has no way of seeing how completely infactuated you are by her." 

 

"I want her so bad, Nayeon. But she's always occupied with this girl and that girl and I'm just... really annoyed." 

 

Nayeon listened fondly, wiping her tears with her thumb as she continued to talk. 

 

"Maybe I should just give up on Dahyun. There's no way I can compete with everybody." Sana strung out thinly, fumbling with the hem of Nayeon's tracksuit, leaning up into her chest, her head nearing the crook of Nayeon's neck. 

 

Nayeon understood how the younger girl felt but her instincts are telling her that Dahyun is interested in her too.

 

Now, she doesn't know if it's lust or something romantic. Heck, it can even be platonic but she knows that if Dahyun spends another second with Sana, she'll fall in so deep that there will be no other way to escape the hole except coming back out with Sana, hand in hand. 

 

Now that's way too cheesy, but when it comes to Sana, there's no way something can't be too cheesy. Nayeon stays mum and continues to let Sana ramble about her pented up thoughts about the blonde.

 

"I'm just tired, Nayeon." 

 

Nayeon looked down when she felt the younger turned into a different position, now resting her head onto Nayeon's lap. She never stopped her hair.

 

"Tired of being casted aside. Tired of seeing others making her smile, while I can't. I want her to be consumed by all of me. I just want her to see me. Is that too much to ask for?"

 

Nayeon gathered her thoughts and it led to the moment where she remembered the way Dahyun looked at Sana when she and Irene were talking to each other. At first, when Nayeon finished gearing up for the second match, she grabbed a cool water bottle and approached Sana until Irene popped up on the sidelines and gave it to her herself. 

 

She honestly wouldn't have seen Dahyun if Sana didn't stand where she stood. Looking past Sana, Nayeon saw how Dahyun stopped paying attention to the girl that's trying to talk to her and she gave all her attention to Sana who didn't even know she was looking at her. 

 

"I think.. I think you both need to be more observant of your own surroundings." 

 

Sana perked her eyebrows and sat up. That's confusing, what did she mean by that? 

 

"I am. I see things all the time, I'm observant!" Sana defended, jumping up from Nayeon's lap, before hearing a chuckle from the older. 

 

"You are not as observant as you think." Nayeon giggled, explaining to Sana about the whole Irene-water bottle-Dahyun-looking-at-her-thing. That's kind of all Nayeon can go off of, it's only been a day. Not even a day, more like a couple hours.

 

Sana slapped her arm and bit her lip. "I am not clueless! I just, hey- Irene talked to me first, how can I not talk to someone who's in front of me?"

 

Nayeon looked at Sana with knowing eyes. Sana stopped with her childish act and realized what she just said.

 

That was the moment she saw things from Dahyun's point of view. It's all due to the fact that Dahyun is a gentle and friendly person yes, but she can't help but reply and react accordingly to other's actions and words.

 

Sana facepalmed herself. She overreacted. Totally overreacted.

 

Sana fell back to her knees and back onto the bed as she covers her face. "I made a complete fool out of myself! Did you think she saw me?" Sana quickly got on her knees, hugging a pillow across her chest and looked at Nayeon with her big, brown and curious eyes.

 

Nayeon giggled at the baby in front of her. At least, she's not crying anymore.

 

"Honey, the whole place went silent when you slammed the door shut, of course she saw."

 

Before Sana could get the next word out, both girls diverted their attention towards the knock on their door. "Hey, I saw you guys come in here. Lunch is served." The black haired girl with bangs spoke out softly, Irene, next to her, holding onto her hand.

 

"Thanks, Seulgi. We'll be right out, start without us." Seulgi nodded at Nayeon's words and made her way out with her girlfriend. Nayeon looked at Sana with eyes that she could already read too easily. 

 

"Stop staring at me, I'll wash my face and meet you out there. Gosh, it's like your eyes are going to bulge out of your sockets." Sana teased, emphasizing her teasing with hand motions around her eyes. 

 

Nayeon smiled widely and pushed Sana softly on the shoulders. That's the smile she's been waiting for. "I'll wait for you outside the front porch." 

 

Sana nodded her head and watched as Nayeon made her way down the ladder and out the room. Sana made her way back down onto the ground and let out a long sigh as she walked into the bathroom as she washed her hands.

 

Was Nayeon right? Was Dahyun really showing interest in her? 

 

No, absolutely not. Just because she turned her head when she heard Sana's name doesn't mean she's interested. Sana was sure anyone would turn their heads if someone yelled out a name, yeah. It's nothing to go off of. 

 

Sana was in a pickle. Whether to continue pursuing the ace of Seacoast or put an end to the chase. All she could do was sigh and submerge her face into a handful of cold water. 

 

Seeing Nayeon sitting on top of the front steps of the stairs, Sana tapped her shoulder.

 

"Ready?" Nayeon asked, looking how Sana's freshened up. With a nod, they made their way towards the picnic table. Sana looked around and saw how there were still students in their mix-matched tracksuits. Some familiar faces, some new faces. 

 

She came to the conclusion that Seacoast was enjoying lunch with them today. The first thought Sana had was to look around for the woman that has been the main topic just a moment before. "Where's Dahyun?" Sana asked, nudging Seulgi with her foot underneath the table in front of her. 

 

Irene felt Seulgi choke on her meat as she pats the back of the baby bear's back. "First of all, let's not kill Seulgi today. And second, Dahyun left after she went to go see you guys. I think she's skipping lunch." 

 

Sana and Nayeon looked at each other before speaking out in unison. "She saw us?!" Sana immediately went into panick mode. 

 

"Did she hear everything we said?" Nayeon asked Irene. Irene just shook her head unknowingly, "Seulgi and I went up only to tell you and Sana about lunch and saw her rush out, we didn't get to say anything to her." 

 

Sana and Nayeon looked at each other before downing as much food as they could in the span of 4 seconds and dashed towards Seacoast's cabins. Irene and Seulgi looked at each other questioningly before shrugging off the two best friends' weird attitudes. 

 

"Eat slowly Seulgi, the food isn't going anywhere." Irene coddled. With a mouth full of rice and soup, with mummed, Seulgi let out an unteethed smile, her smile reaching all the way up to her eyes. 

 

"You eat too, you need energy for tonight." Seulgi said as she finished swallowing her food. Irene quirked her head to the side. Tonight?

 

"For the hike? That's an hour or so after lunch, babe." Irene said as Seulgi feeds her a mouthfull of rice and meat. Taken aback, she still chewed and ate it nonetheless.

 

"For me, dummy." Seulgi said with a failed wink. Irene just hitched her neck upwards, "I can never get used to you. You're so cute with how you act but your words just throw me off. Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?" 

 

"Do you want me to do you or no?" Seulgi leaned down and whispered into her ears. Irene giggled, thinking how cute Seulgi was trying to seduce her as she's downing shredded beef and rice. 

 

Irene grabbed a spoonful of soup and fed her baby bear. "You talk too much." Seulgi gives Irene a look and huffs as she turns away from Irene. Seulgi really is such a baby. 

 

"Aw babe. Fine, fine. My answer's yes. Now, can you please look at me?" Irene pleaded, leaning her chin onto the slightly taller girl's shoulders as she presses her fingers on Seulgi's side. Seulgi gave in immediately. 

 

"I'm eating, don't interrupt me." Seulgi said giving Irene the side eyes for teasing her. 

 

"I would say so myself." 

 

Seulgi choked on her soup as she immediately covered . Irene just slides her hand up and down Seulgi's back and smiles to herself mischieviously. 

 

In the middle of their run towards Dahyun's campground, Sana stopped mid-way and grabbed Nayeon's arm, yanking her back. Out of breath, Sana leaned over her knees. "Wait... wait." 

 

Nayeon huffed and puffed right beside her. "Do you think it's wise to ask her what she heard?" 

 

Nayeon looked at Sana before scoffing. "Is it bad if she did? Didn't you want to get the message across to her that you clearly want to be with her? Let's see what she knows." 

 

Sana pulls Nayeon back from the tracksuit and Nayeon jolted backwards. "Stop dragging me and just call my name out!" 

 

"I'm out of breath Nayeon, shut the up." Sana panted. 

 

Sana found a flat boulder in the corner of her eyes and nudged Nayeon to follow her. After resting for a little bit, Nayeon broke the panted silence. "Wouldn't you want her to hear what we said?" 

 

Sana patted her forehead sprinkled with seat with the back of her palm. "I would much rather talk to her about this then have her overhear us." 

 

"By the looks of what Irene told us, I think she was eavesdropping and panicked when she saw the two of t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter