of two pairs.

Spaces Between Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

a/n: series coming to an end, but not until i give u guys what u want. minayeon and saida on its way, should i add seulrene too? leave in comments below. here's a lil teaser. non-edited.

 

 

Four teams will be participating today. Each person on your team will each be located at each checkpoint. Once you tag your teammate's hand, you may immediately continue to the next obstacle.

 

Always keep your lifejacket on and swim towards the inflatable course if you accidentally slip off, so you don't drift too far away. There will be chaperones on duty at all times. 

 

Calling out each school team, Nayeon looked over and saw someone waving at her in the corner of her eye. Turning to see out of curiosity, she saw a charming smile.

 

Hyunjin was waving at her, jumping up and down, waving with excitement and intensity. "Pshh, what a dork." Nayeon raised her arm up high and waved back with a teethy smile. 

 

Following the safety procedures, everybody swam out to their designated checkpoints and on the blow of the whistle the four starting players ran from the tree 300 feet away from the lake, splashing and trying to catch the lead. 

 

Over the thrashing of the water and screams of their teammates, holllering and encouragement sounded the place. Nayeon started out first, Hyunjin right beside her trotting effortlessly over the water. 

 

Must be nice to be tall, huh Hyunjin? Those long limbs flying through the water with no troubles, ppft. Nayeon pushed through the hurdles of waves before tagging the first player on her team.

 

Sana was the last player on the team. Finally feeling the tap from her teammate, Sana immediately climbed up the ladder-like course.

 

The imitation of the rock climb, Sana held on to the ridges and made her way upwards.

 

Falling down on the slide after reaching the top, she dove through a cyclinder, the last obstacle, and won the game.

 

Tummy hitting against the finish line indicator, Sana's team jumped for joy and all ran to her.

 

Looking all around, only smiley faces were seen. Even if the other three teams didn't necessarily win, they enjoyed being apart of a fun activity. Hyunjin hollered and clapped for Nayeon and Sana before Chan ran up behind him and attacked him, pushing both of them in the water. 

 

Other classmates followed and the rest of the peers jumped into the water as a celebration, for Sana's school and the last day of camp.

 

Nayeon and Sana looked at each other before jumping in as well with a huge smile on their face.

 

It crossed her mind that she didn't see Dahyun throughout the whole game but she might've spoken too soon because looking up at the finish line, she saw Dahyun giggling with Mina, both smiles geniune and wide. 

 

Sana could only let out a soft smile before feeling a sharp force of water brushing her face.

 

Sana immediately shut her eyes and had  opened in an 'o' shape in a surprising manner. Sana scrunched up her face before retreating the same amount of force onto Nayeon.

 

Nayeon laughed out loud and shoved more water in her face, "You wanna die?!" 

 

Sana giggled and tried swimming away from Nayeon before she grabbed ahold of her shoulders and hopping onto Sana. "Not so fast!" 

 

Sana bit through the struggle of trying to grab Nayeon by the thighs and paddled towards the inflatable course. Reaching the end where it was the easist to get on, Sana let Nayeon go. 

 

"Come on, let's dry off." Sana said, helping Nayeon getting up from the water. 

 

Returning to their cabin, many of the girls who just heard the news that they won congratulated Sana and Nayeon, along with Seulgi and Irene who were also part of the relay. All in all, it was a good run. A little hungry though. 

 

Around mid-afternoon, everybody was already seated at the picnic tables ready to eat. Eating with such content and happy thoughts, the kids all looked at Jihyo as she clears . 

 

I'm very happy you all had a wonderful time here. Today's a free day, you can play any of the tri-sport games as many times as you want or you can just hang around the camp. Make sure to have someone with you or let someone know where you're going. Eat up well. I'll check up on everyone before lights out. 

 

A string of 'thank you's and hollering followed by applause made Jihyo smile. She really was so fond of the kids. 

 

Nayeon nudged Sana, making her peek her head up from her bowl of food. "We forgot to meet up with Dahyun." 

 

Sana gasped, garnering looks from the classmates around her. Lowering her head, she apologized softly. ", do you think she's still waiting for us?" 

 

Nayeon scoffed, "If she did, I'll be surprised. Let's eat and then meet her." 

 

Sana reluctantly returned to her food, she suddenly lost her appetite. It didn't feel good, the feeling in her stomach.

 

She and Nayeon both said to Dahyun that they'll meet right after the game, but now they're eating lunch. 

 

That must've been well over an hour or two ago. There were a lot of girls who called dibs on showering before them so they had to wait. Sana really wished Dahyun didn't wait for them drenched in cold water. 

 

After finishing their meal, Sana waited for Nayeon to place their dishes on the dish rack and jolted towards the lake.

 

Nayeon hissed at the firm grasp but gritted through it. She knew Sana was impatient and worried about Dahyun's well-being. 

 

Nayeon honestly thought that Dahyun wouldn't be there. No idiot would wait past two hours just because they said so.

 

Coming up around the corner of the tree, Sana and Nayeon looked around for the familiar face. It was empty. 

 

"See, I told you. She probably went back to the cabin to change out of her clothes." Nayeon said, a little out of breath. Sana looked around once more. Nayeon was right. Dahyun wasn't here.

 

She panicked for nothing. 

 

"Sana?" 

 

Sana widened her eyes as she looked at Nayeon. Nayeon looked past Sana's shoulders and looked at the girl behind her. 

 

Dahyun was wrapped in a towel, which had splotches of wetness here and dryness there. Dahyun's hair was still a bit wet probably from playing in the water.

 

"D-Dahyun. You stayed." Sana stammered out, looking at Dahyun shivering. Sana raced over and immediately her hands went up to cup Dahyun's face, before touching her forehead. It was a little warm, yet cold.

 

Before she could even register what she was doing, touching Dahyun like that, Sana asked out a string of questions. 

 

"Are you crazy? What were you thinking waiting here?"

 

"God, you're freezing!" 

 

"Why are you all alone, we were looking for you!" 

 

Dahyun smiled, lowering her gaze. "I waited for you guys. I didn't want to leave." 

 

"Why? You're freezing cold, let's get you back to your cabin." Sana said, turning Dahyun's shoulder around and helping her up by her arms. 

 

Nayeon followed and stood on Sana's side. "You could've left and showered, and ate before meeting us up back here. The teachers told us we had free time until night time." Nayeon said, seeing Dahyun looking at her as she talked. 

 

Dahyun nodded her head, "Mina called, she told me the same thing but I didn't want to leave making you both think I didn't care or ditched our little unofficial promise." 

 

Nayeon sighed and looked at how Sana is tending Dahyun with care. "We would've understood. Now you're going to get sick and we're going to feel bad." Dahyun shook her head at Nayeon's comment.

 

"It's okay. I don't get sick too easily. I have a strong immune system!" Dahyun cheerfully said. 

 

Sana smiled and let go of Dahyun's arms. She realized this entire time, she's been touching Dahyun without her permission. Dahyun literally felt a chill after feeling Sana's warmth disappear. 

 

"We're sorry." 

 

Dahyun shook her head, "Don't worry. I'm okay." 

 

Sana sighed and looked up in front of her. They've arrived at Dahyun's campground. From a distance, sitting on the front porch was Mina with a coloring pencil and a book. Sana walked towards her before Nayeon tapped her shoulder. 

 

"Hyunjin's calling me, I'll wait here." 

 

Sana nodded and brought Dahyun towards Mina. "Dahyun! Your face is so pale." 

 

"Mina- My face has been pale since birth." Dahyun joked, making Mina smile softly. "You know what I meant, come on let's get you inside." 

 

Sana heard a 'thank you' from Mina as she guided Dahyun in the room. Before she turned around and left, Sana heard her name getting called out. 

 

"Sana!" 

 

She turned around at the voice. 

 

"You never showed me the location." 

 

Sana thought about it, she never did huh? 

 

"I'll wait for you here then." 

 

Dahyun shook her head, "It's a little chilly out, come inside." Mina looked at Sana. Sana caught onto her expression and denied the invite. 

 

"No it's alright, I'll just wait right out here while you shower and change." 

 

Dahyun left from Mina's hold and walked towards Sana at the front entrance of the stairs. Dahyun approached Sana and went behind Sana. Pushing Sana's back with her arms stretched, she guided Sana up the stairs. "Come. I don't want you to get cold either." 

 

Sana sighed and looked at Mina as she passeed by her. It felt like everything was going in slow motion. Mina's eye contact latched onto hers. It wasn't anger or rage. Envy and jealousy was what she saw. Sana couldn't do anything. 

 

Reaching Dahyun's bed, Sana stood next to it, hesitant to sit on Dahyun's bed. This feels so wrong but she's not doing anything wrong. Dahyun brought her here, not in that way so it shouldn't mean anything.

 

"I won't take long, everyone finished showering anyway." Sana nodded. 

 

"Text Nayeon that you'll be here so she doesn't have to wait for you. You're showing me the place anyway, she can come up here if she wishes to." 

 

Sana smiled and texted Nayeon. "Sit down, be comfortable."

 

After telling Sana to sit on her bed, Dahyun entered the bathroom with her extra pair of clothes she randomly found in her suitcase. Mina who was standing a couple feet away observed the older girl, not wanting to get close to Sana. 

 

Sana felt a little awkward, being in their territory and having Mina stare her down. She let out a puff of air and looked everywhere in the room but her. It was similiar to their cabin actually, except many beds weren't used. Perhaps there weren't many students from Seacoast who attended.

 

"What does Dahyun mean by 'place' and 'location'? What do you plan on doing?" Mina interrogated, arms crossed. 

 

Sana felt her breath hitch. Mina just asked a question but she felt a little attacked in a way. It doesn't feel really pleasant. 

 

"I- Dahyun. I think Dahyun should tell you, not me." 

 

Mina approached Sana and leaned down on the wooden pillar of the bed. "Why can't you tell me?" 

 

"I just feel it's best for Dahyun to tell you. There's no harm in me telling you, if that's what you're curious about." 

 

Mina stayed mum after that. Sana sat in Dahyun's bed awkwardly as they both wait for the ace to finish. 

 

Not even 5 minutes later, Dahyun walked out the bathroom with two pairs of eyes looking straight back at her. She ruffled her wet blonde locks as she makes her way towards Mina. 

 

"Hey by the way, do you want to come to a party with me tonight?" Dahyun asked nonchalantly, which definitely took Mina aback. 

 

"Party?" 

 

Dahyun smiled and walked to get a blowdryer. "Yeah, it's Nayeon's friend who is hosting it. Sana will be there too!" 

 

Mina looked down at Sana who was switching her gaze from Mina to Dahyun. "Okay." 

 

"Awesome! It'll be fun. When should we both leave?" Dahyun asked, averting her attention onto the girl sitting on her bed. 

 

"Hyunjin said that his friend will come around 11. He hasn't changed the time. Nayeon and I are going to wait until everyone's asleep and then we'll sneak out." 

 

"Perfect." Dahyun grabbed her phone from the lampside desk. "Put in your number and text us when you're there. Mina and I will keep watch of our roomates until we're in the clear." 

 

Sana smiled and took Dahyun's phone, inputting her contact information. Returning the phone back to its rightful owner, Dahyun thanked her and remembered why Sana was still here. 

 

"Shall we go?" 

 

Mina looked a little confused still. "Go where?" 

 

"The secret hideout where the party is being held. It's a small one. Just with close buddies." Dahyun replied, throwing on her track jacket. Mina 'oh'ed and followed Sana and Dahyun out the bedroom door. 

 

Close buddies? Then why was Dahyun and her invited if they didn't even know who Hyunjin was? 

 

Then it all rushed at Mina at once, when she realized what Sana's ulterior move was. Sana was trying to court Dahyun. 

 

"Hyunjin. Who is that?" Mina asked. Sana whipped her head towards Mina's voice. 

 

"He's Nayeon's friend." Dahyun looked from Sana back to Mina. 

 

"He was at the race today, I saw his name on his wetsuit." 

 

"Oh I see. If he's hosting a party with just his close friends, how were we invited even though we don't know him personally?" Mina bluntly asked. 

 

Sana stopped in her track. She knew what Mina was doing, and she was not going to put with it. What's the harm of inviting a friend? 

 

"I invited Dahyun." Dahyun's senses are telling her that this won't end too nicely, by the way Sana spoke. After all this time, the way Sana talked to her was gentle and kind. This protective manner is new to her. 

 

Sana continued to talk, seeing how it made Mina shut up. "I invited Dahyun but she wouldn't go without you." 

 

Dahyun felt her jaw drop and looked over at Mina who's expression was obviously surprised. "You just don't go out too much and I wanted to invite you too. Are you mad at me?" Dahyun asked, her voice dropping. 

 

Mina shook her head, "Never." 

 

Dahyun let out a breath. "I just didn't want to hang out without you. You're my best friend, I wouldn't want to do anything without you." Dahyun said smiling as she leaned into Mina's side for a side hug. 

 

Mina smiled and let out a breath. "I know." 

 

Sana took this sight as a sign to continue walking towards the site. Reaching there was no problem because it's a little futher away from the bear statue but the secret entrance doesn't even look too secretive. 

 

"This is the place?" Dahyun asked, coming out from dodging the green vines hanging above. Sana nodded. "We'll meet here. There will mostly be guys plus us and some girls from our cabin." 

 

Dahyun smiled and looked over at Mina, "There's alcohol too!" Dahyun said cutely. 

 

"Have you drank before?" Sana asked Dahyun. She shook her head, "Not too much. Wine here, champagne there. Not hard liquor." 

 

Sana felt uneasy. She doesn't know what type of drinks Hyunjin is bringing but knowing how kind he is towards Nayeon, Sana's sure he's going to keep watch.

 

"I don't know what he's bringing, he kept on saying, 'packs' so I guess it's just beer but I can be wrong." Sana stated. 

 

Dahyun nodded her head and looked over towards Mina and then back to Sana. "We'll text you as soon as we leave the room." 

 

Sana smiled and nodded. "Sounds good. I should get back to Nayeon now. She's waiting for me at our cabin. I'll see you tonight." 

 

Dahyun waved Sana off and wrapped her arms around Mina's. "Are you excited? Because I am!" 

 

"How'd you meet Sana anyway?" Mina asked, curious of Dahyun's answer.

 

"Meet?" She thought to when the first time she ever met Sana. "Packing day. I saw her on the floor, I think she fell and just sat there." Dahyun giggled remembering the scene. 

 

Mina didn't react and just looked forward, continuing to walk. "Do you like her?"

 

Dahyun turned her head towards Mina. Does she like her?

 

Let's see. When she sees Sana, Dahyun couldn't help but smile. Sana's smile is very cute. Her crescent eye smile and her cheeks touch each other everytime she sincerely laughs. 

 

Her scent has actually caught Dahyun's attention a few times that they had the time to talk to each other in close proximities. She never knew the scent of fresh sweet pea and strawberries could smell so delightful. 

 

As far as she's known Sana, she seems like a doll. But that doesn't steer her away from the fact that Sana was hurt because of her.

 

Remembering how Sana was irritated that Dahyun never did pay attention to her with all the girls fawning over her, must've really made an impact on Sana's confidence. 

 

Dahyun can't stand the thought of hurting anyone. Especially Sana. She's too beautiful to be affected by someone like me, Dahyun thought.

 

"She's a friend, Mina. I have no intentions in dating, remember?" Mina scoffed and looked away from the opposite direction of Dahyun.

 

"I didn't even mean it that way, but that just told me what I needed to know." 

 

Dahyun retracted her arm from Mina. "What you needed to know? What would that be?" 

 

Mina continued to walk even though Dahyun stopped. If she looked back now, she'll feel too defeated. She's already messed up. 

 

"Nothing. Don't worry about it. Come on, my arms getting tired." Mina said, leaving some space for Dahyun to clutch around her arm. Dahyun sighed and picked up her pace for a second, reaching Mina's arm. 

 

Nayeon looked up from her iPad from time to time, looking at Sana scrolling through her phone. She noticed how the younger got quiet coming back from Dahyun's. 

 

"Everything alright?" 

 

Sana turned her head towards Nayeon, "Yeah. I just can't wait for tonight." Nayeon smiled hearing Sana's answer. Yeah, maybe they did deserve a little fun after this little mishap they went through.

 

"Why? So you can intoxicate Dahyun and show her a good time?" Nayeon smirked, dragging her fingers up Sana's bare legs. Sana swat Nayeon's fingers away and sat up with a huff. 

 

"No! Why would you say that?" Sana defended. Nayeon let out a laugh. Sana was really too easy to mess with. 

 

"I'm kidding. I would honestly be watching you the entire time. We haven't partied in a while." Nayeon said. Sana nodded her head and put one hand behind her nape and moved her side to side, cracking her neck. 

 

"I want to loosen up tonight. Yes, I invited Dahyun but I wanna drink a little bit so I'm not so uptight around her." 

 

Nayeon held in her giggle this time. "At least you admit you're uptight." Sana grabbed the nearest pillow and threw it at Nayeon, making her yelp. 

 

"Dare to say that again?" She threatened, lips in between her teeth. Nayeon retreated from her jabs and put both her arms up in the air, surrendering in front of Sana. 

 

Sana proudly smiles and props her hands on her waist. Tonight will be quite a show, Nayeon thought to herself. 

 

Moonbeams walk the night, Jihyo came into both cabins and did a quick headcount of her students. Sana and Nayeon are tucked underneath their blankets tightly facing the opposite direction of Jihyo, facing towards the window pane. 

 

Sana can't help but feel jittery. Her body won't stop vibrating, is this excitement or is it all those liquids she drank earlier in the day and didn't have the chance to use the restroom yet..

 

Either way, her heart was beating in the same rhythm as the sounds of cicadas humming outside the cabin walls. 

 

Lastly, tomorrow we're preparing a small activity as a way of leaving this camp with happy and memorable thoughts. Sleep well.

 

The girls all said goodnight to Jihyo as she leaves the front door. As the girls heard it all click, every single girl pushed their blankets off their bodies and were shown wearing casual, going-out type of outfits. 

 

Nayeon and Sana looked around and caught Seulgi and Irene's expressions. They were just as bewildered. Even if they were dressed up for a party themselves, Nayeon leaned towards their bedmates on the next bunk. 

 

"Where you guys all headed?"

 

The girl nicely responded, spraying on her perfume. "Didn't you hear? We're going to Hyunjin's party. It's the talk of the camp." 

 

Nayeon looked down, seeing Sana peek her head outwards to look up at Nayeon. Hyunjin's party? Her Hyunjin? 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter