Buttercat

Bread Wars
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chaewon looked out the window. A tiny butterfly flapped its delicate wings, gracefully propelling itself around the garden until it landed softly on a flower pedal.

 

A gust of wind blew, knocking it off into the air next to a giant cat that strolled into view. Daringly, the butterfly hovered in a circle close to the feline, teasing with its aerobatic dance.

 

The gigantic cat followed its movements intently, mesmerized by the fluid movements and fluttering wings. Without warning, its paws reached out to take a few swipes; everything became chaotic as the butterfly scrambled to get away while the cat chased after it.

 

This was the nature of her relationship with Hyunjin.

 

While it was true she was preoccupied, it was always about their low-key beef. Why would Hyejoo suggest they were more than close friends? Sure, she found Hyunjin amusing and amazing at times. Her funny faces and expressions were fun and an absolute delight to watch. Especially that cross eyed puppy imitation, it was top notch, pure comedic gold.

 

Hyunjin challenged her to bring her A game, to be the very best and give as good she gets. Their exchanges, though sporadic, were tense and entertaining.

 

Right next to Hyunjin's portrait of her, she gave a fake smile, ever so slightly crooked to the right. Hyunjin'd say it looks exactly the same and she'd retort back saying it looked nothing like her and that it was rock bottom.


There were times she saw a mix of mischievous glint and sparkle in Hyunjin's large round eyes. She always ended up on the wrong end of everything from friendship games to birthday cakes.

 

"Gowon ah~" Hyunjin would say while trying to smear cream on her face. She'd resist only for it to land on her hair instead and in return she'd shout "Kim Hyunjin!"

 

As Hyunjin's prime target she expected to be made fun of when they're asked to describe each other only to have Hyunjin say nice things about her.

 

What was this? Why was she getting all emotional?

 

Ok, maybe she enjoyed their little bread war or whatever it was, but that didn't mean anything more. Did it? Chaewon was restless at the revelation, trying to convince herself it was impossible, that it was another one of Hyunjin's tricks and this feeling will go away.

 

 

"You've got to be kidding me!" Chaewon was in for a surprise the next morning as she learned about the lift and dolphin dive combo that was supposed to be the highlight of their latest choreography.

 

"Just saying, there are plenty of candidates for this bone breaking move."

 

"Your animal is a butterfly. This is your song!"

 

"Don't get me wrong, I'd like nothing better than to step on bunny teeth and triangle lips" her remarks earned a few glares from the two "Still, this is a bit much no?"

 

Unfortunately for her, the decision was final and every time she attempted the lift Chaewon shook and screamed "ahhh" like an angry bird.

 

As if Hyunjin could tell the fear and disbelief that was racing through in her mind, she turned around to offer "If you fall, I'll be your cushion!" giving her a reassuring smile and the most distracting hair flip.

 

It was a rather bizarre thing to hear, yet quite comforting at the same time. And just like that her mind shifted focus, forgetting the fear momentarily to muster enough courage to try again.

 

Well, miracles don't happen on the first try or even after ten tries. She kept making mistakes, legs wobbling as she is lifted up, her head almost hitting the low ceiling. Chaewon knew something was wrong, very wrong the moment she let go. She shut her eyes, expecting the worst. Instead of hitting the hard floor, she landed on top of something warm.

 

"I got you!" it was a familiar smoothing voice. When she finally opened her eyes she found herself on top of Hyunjin, whose long arms held onto her tightly, large cat like eyes looking at her with concern.

 

Time seemed to have stopped as they held onto each other; neither of them tried to push each off or dared to move an inch. In contrast to their usual rough exchanges, the tender embrace left a weird sensation, which Chaewon brushed off as the adrenaline rush from the dramatic experience despite feeling the loud pound of abnormally fast heartbeats.

 

Is this a moment? It couldn't be! We're talking about Hyunjin here, the one who tricked her into that bread mission.

 

The other wasn't moving or saying anything either, as if she had her breath taken away. Hyunjin simply stared at her from below, somewhat lost in thought, also confused and struggling with her own emotions.

 

"Are you ok?" Hyunjin snapped out of the trance to break the silence

 

With the brunt of the impact absorbed by her landing cushion, Chaewon barely got a scratch. "I... I-I'm fine" she figured the stuttering was from the lack of teasing. Actually, why was Hyunjin asking if she's fine? Based on their current position, it was a question she should be asking "You?"

 

Hyunjin, as if not believing her, detached them only to spin her around and confirm for herself. Only when the tall one was satisfied with the inspection did she responded back "Never better. By the way, you're heavier than you look."

 

By now, Chaewon knew the other well enough to know it was an attempt to divert her attention elsewhere, to hide something. And Chaewon wanted to find what it was.

 

Someone had the common sense to let them take a break after the accident and Chaewon couldn't take her eyes off Hyunjin. She could tell something was wrong as she watched Hyunjin winced slightly before quietly excusing herself.

 

Hyunjin didn't make it back to the rest of the practice; they were told she needed to rest her ankle. It left a hole in Chaewon; she couldn't focus, her mind lingering on the taller girl. She figured it was guilt that the other got hurt instead of her.

 

On the outside, Hyunjin seemed carefree and playful with her 4 dimensional

Please log in to read the full chapter