Lowkey beef

Bread Wars
Please log in to read the full chapter

Naturally Hyunjin was in prankster mode. She can't help herself; she was drawn to things in their natural state of disarray and needed a little fun each day.

 

At art class, an older student by the name of Haseul drew 12 animals on a whiteboard before proceeding to explain each one. Something was off; it was too neat, too structured, too boring. Where was the fun in that? Feeling the urge to stir the pot, Hyunjin couldn't help but take a few swipes at it, scratching it up ever so slightly to add what she called "detailing".

 

By mid afternoon, Hyunjin's boredom index has gone up to alarming levels. Tapping her fingers one at a time, she desperately searched for something, anything. That's when her friends dared her to light up firecrackers in exchange for bread. She was totally up for the task, only it wasn't a one-girl job.

 

Looking around, she spotted a small girl holding a tea cup with a raised pinky. Hyunjin figured tiny princess was into pretty things and the promise of one was enough to recruit her as Hyunjin's sidekick for the bread-tastic mission.

 

Aside from a minor hiccup, the operation completed and she was rewarded with the sweet, sweet taste of victory. She was thankful and actually wanted give her sidekick something pretty for helping her get that bread.

 

Actually there was more to it, she saw potential in Chaewon's performance. For the very first time in her life, Hyunjin was actually looking forward to class to propose a more permanent partnership between the two.

 

"Want to see something pretty?" Hyunjin initiated the conversation as her hand reached onto the backpack, about to bring the item out. It was a butterfly sticker she thought suited Chaewon. But all movements ceased when the other threw out a gang sign; almost as if she was trying to psych her out. Before she could get another word in, tiny princess declined the offer and proposed a bread deal instead.

 

Hyunjin was surprised by the turn of events and a strange feeling that she wasn't accustomed to, disappointment.

 

That was odd. Since when did she care enough to be disappointed?

 

No matter what, bread was not something she could refuse. Hyunjin figured it wasn't a complete loss as it gave her an opportunity to regularly meet up and share something special with the smaller girl.

 

Similar to the other times she found herself in weird situations, Hyunjin went along with it for a kick. It was quite enjoyable until Chaewon dropped out and disappeared all of a sudden.

 

Too bad, Hyunjin thought. She was starting to enjoy her interactions with the tiny one and it wasn't only because of bread.

 

 

~~~

 

 

Hyunjin was known to be athletic. At one point there were even a ridiculous rumor saying she could run 100 meters in 8 seconds. She was fast, but not world record fast. Since it's already circulated, she might as well play along with it, because clarifying it would have been too bothersome and she'd miss their bewildered expressions.

 

That is why she always thought she'd end up being a professional athlete on the national team, and was surprised to find herself at BBC.

 

"I don't want to go alone. All you have to do is dance. I'll give you bread!" the last part of her best friend's plead was what caused her to cave

 

Once again, Hyunjin found herself doing odd things to fulfill her carb-loading needs.

 

In the beginning she thought of it as another bread adventure, only to find herself enjoying the competitive aspect of debuting. Hyunjin figured all the bread around the world would be within her reach if she became a global superstar. Before she knew, what was supposed to be a weeklong mission turned to a year of training.

 

Most of the other trainees were pleasant enough, mostly focused on the training and too serious for her liking. Hyunjin had to make her own fun, messing with her best friend. Which mostly consist of saying and doing the opposite of what the other wanted and teasingly imitate her actions. But alas, she could only tease Heejin so many times until it got repetitive.

 

For once, she wanted something different, interesting and new.

 

Right on cue, a familiar tiny figure walked down the stairs leading to the BBC basement and into her life again. Just as sudden as Chaewon left, she reappeared. It was at that point Hyunjin knew in her heart that things were going to get a whole lot more interesting.

 

Ah, tiny princess. How could Hyunjin forget her? Let's just say the girl left a lasting impression, a good one.

 

What was so interesting about her? Well for one, she offered bread. But it was the manner in w

Please log in to read the full chapter