Breadholic

Bread Wars
Please log in to read the full chapter

Bread. It is so magical. Disney and that rat got nothing on it.


Mix in the right amount of flour or dough, place it in the oven and behold, the substance rise and expands into the fluffy stuff I love so much.

 

Bread is my addiction. I dreamed in bread, I lived for bread and I would do anything for a piece of it. By far the darkest day of my life was that one extremely memorable day I lived without bread. I have never felt so alone, empty and unfulfilled. Determined never to repeat the same mistake again, I made sure to get a taste of bread as soon as I could, whenever I could, wherever I could.

 

Let me introduce myself. My name is Hyunjin. I like... bread...

 

No matter how sleepy I was, I made a point to go to the bakery in the morning for freshly baked bread to fuel the rest of my day. I always carried a piece of that fluffy heaven with me. Bread accompanied me everywhere; it is always around me.

 

My lifelong dream, other than being an idol, was bread domination. In ten years, I see myself owning three hundred bakeries.

 

Croissants, baguettes, pastries, scones, plain bread, doesn’t matter what it is, I liked them all. Over time, I became a bit of an expert and I judged bread by smell, color, cut, all-round crust, the elasticity of the crumb and finally taste.

 

There was bread for every occasion. A sweet, dairy crumb with a toasty crust when I feel like I got the world on a string. Sour, fruity crumbs with a resinous crust that smells like sun baked apple when I am feeling down. Lemony, radish tang with a crackling crust to stir my sense when I am feeling bored. Fresh white bread that is as smooth as a cloud of cream when I am stressed.

 

Change the appearance, size, shape, flavor, add any fillings and there are millions of combination. Just thinking about it made my mouth water. I would rather have bread over high quality sushi.

 

In other words, I'm a breadholic. Bread minus Kim Hyunjin equals zero.

 

 

~~~

 

 

The twelve of us were aboard the LoonaBus, on our way to yet another music festival in our never ending schedule. Which of course had to be held in such remote locations. I dreaded these road trips because we were stuck in traffic for hours and it was incredible boring.
 

Mind you, I normally had a loaf of bread in the van to satsify my craving. Unfortunately, BBC swapped the vehicle on me last minute, denying me the chance to grab my precious loaf of delight and the very card that allowed further acquisitions. The only consolation was this luxury bus had adjustable seats, making them comfortable enough for me to catch up on sleep.

 

Lucky for me, there was a bakery at the highway rest stop. I needed a little excitement today, so I took the opportunity to acquire a specialty croissant, one with bacon inside. If I had my card, I would have ordered a whole box. But alas, all I have is what Jinsol kindly lent me, just enough for one. It will have to do.

 

Please log in to read the full chapter