Cheer Up

One-Shot Collection

Yewon hates horror movies. However, she was forced to watch this new horror film for her homework.

 

It says it's the scariest movie this year, that it's a box-office hit and people are lining up to see the movie. Yewon knew that so she told her professor that she can't get a ticket, except that he got tickets for everyone in his class.

 

Yewon wanted to bury herself alive, but she needed this or she won't be able to graduate. Escaping is not going to kill her, her mom will.

 

Most of her classmates are excited to see the movie today after class. She want to pretend sick but that'll be too obvious since she already gave a lot of excuses to escape this madness.

 

The bell rang, signaling the end of class. Everyone stood up and grab their things. Yewon remained in her seat, thinking of ways to escape.

 

None, her mind tells her.

 

Her classmates are now dragging her since her legs already gave up. Her mind creating a lot of scenarios, like being unable to sleep for the next days, or worse, weeks.

 

Living alone isn't a good idea after all.

 

The whole class arrived at the cinema after 15 minutes of walking. She can't remember any of it. She remembered the bell rang and the next second, she's here, at the cinema.

 

Of course, watching a movie is not fun without the snack and their professor set up everything for them.

 

She decided to be the last person to enter the cinema, still thinking of ways to escape.

 

As she goes closer the counter, her heart beats faster. She can feel it, hear every single beats. She can feel her hands sweating and shaking.

 

She tries to calm herself but it's not working. Even her brain stopped working.

 

“Here's your meal, ma'am.”

 

She heard and that made her jump a little from where she's standing.

 

The crew can't help but chuckle. “Scared?”

 

Yewon nodded.

 

“Don't believe what the reviews tells you. I've seen that movie multiple times and it's not even scary.”

 

This made Yewon calm a little bit.

 

“You're not making fun of me, right?” Yewon hugged the popcorn in her chest and hold drink using her one hand.

 

“Trust me. Oh, you should go now or you'll miss the first part. That part is actually very funny.”

 

Yewon don't know if she wants to believe the girl in front of her or not but she heard her classmates calling for her.

 

She dragged her feet to enter the cinema. Her heart beating faster now. She looked for any available seat and the only available was the front row. Of course, who likes the front row seats?

 

She can't believe anything that's happening and about to happen. She slowly walked to the seat, hearing her classmates chatting, getting excited.

 

The light went dim even before she reached her seat, scaring herself for the nth time now.

 

She walked baby steps, making sure she won't trip in front of everyone. When she got there, she placed her bags on the floor, the popcorn and the drink on the armrest.

 

She took a seat, praying for the movie to end as soon as possible. Movie teasers and advertisements played for good 5 minutes, calming her a little.

 

But when the introduction started, her heart almost jumped out of her chest. She wanted to cover her face and ears as she hear footsteps on the first part of the movie, but she only has a pair of hands.

 

She decided to cover her ears instead and shut her eyes. As the movie continues, she hears screaming behind her, her classmates probably killing each other while watching.

 

As she hears more scream, her heart beats more than the before. She wanted to run but she needs to watch the film to make a report. She don't know how to start, opening her eyes or removing her hands from her ears.

 

It's been 10 minutes and she still can't decide.

 

Yewon suddenly felt someone holding her hands. As far as she knows, she's not seating with anyone. Who's beside her? Is it the ghost from the movie? That is impossible, as much as she hates them, she knows they don't exist; or that's what she wants to believe.

 

Her body reacted quickly and she screamed the loudest scream she probably did in her whole life.

 

Fortunately, everyone in the cinema screamed with her, or it would have been so embarrassing.

 

Yewon still has her eyes closed.

 

“I told you to watch the first part right?”

 

She heard a familiar voice. She slowly opens her eyes and saw the girl at the popcorn station earlier.

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

“I'm a staff, I can enter the cinema anytime.”

 

“That makes sense.”

 

It's funny how Yewon focus was solely on the girl in front of her. She totally forgot about the movie playing.

 

“Why don't we go out for a while? Because I don't think you'd survive another second here.”

 

Before Yewon could react, the girl is dragging her out of the cinema. Luckily, no one noticed her.

 

They were now outside the cinema but Yewon remembered her report.

 

“But I need to write a report about this!” She protested.

 

“Don't worry, I got your back. I told you I've seen this movie a lot of times.”  Yewon looks at her hands being held by the staff.

 

“Are you saying that because you want to help me or because you like me?”

 

“Am I too obvious?”, the girl quickly let go of her hands.

 

“Your hands feels warm, that says a lot. And I always get more of what I usually orders every time I'm here so I guess that's a yes.”

 

“Since you've mentioned that, I know you're into Disney movies and there's a new movie next week, would you like to watch it with me?”, the girl asked her shyly.

 

“Or would you like to help me first in making my report, then we can watch some movies at my place once we're done?” Yewon said in her head, except that she didn't, because she said that out loud.

 

“If this is you asking me out, I say yes! By the way, I haven't introduced myself. I'm Eunbi.”, she extends her hands in front of Yewon.

 

“I know.” Yewon says as she points at her name tag.

 

Eunbi can help but chuckle as she scratch the back of her head.

 

“And my name is Yewon.” She continued.

 

“I know, it says in your ID.”

 

Then they both laugh.

 

Yewon can't help but admire the girl in front of her. Looks like Yewon is going to visit the cinema more than before.