People Change

One-Shot Collection

I used to love you like the world would end

I used to love you like a child

-      People Change

 

“You will always be the best thing that happened in my life.” A girl whispers as she looks at the night sky.

 

It’s almost midnight, the night was great, the stars are everywhere. It feels like that the universe set everything up for them. They were sitting at the swing in the old playground behind their apartment complex. This playground has been here since who knows who. Most people who lived in the complex grew up playing at this playground, and they were not an exception.

 

“Remember the first time we met here?”

 

“Yeah, you stole my bicycle.” She looked at the girl next to her with an angry pout on her face.

 

She can’t help but laugh at the sight. “First of all, I thought it was mine.”

 

“Keep lying to yourself, Eunbi. Mine was pink, yours was blue.” The other girl stood up and went in front of her, her hands in her waist.

 

“Now tell me how did that happen?”

 

“Yewon, it’s been 10 years. Why can’t you let that go?” Eunbi said in defeat.

 

“And also, if it wasn’t for that, I would have not met you.” Eunbi continued while she kicks herself in the swing with a sneaky smile on her face.

 

Yewon turned around, blushing at the words that just came out of Eunbi’s mouth. She started to walk away since she don’t think she’ll be able to control herself any longer.

 

“Hey! Where are you going?” Eunbi said in protest.

 

“Somewhere you won’t be able to find me.” Yewon continues to walk waving a goodbye to Eunbi.

 

“And you think that’s possible, Yewon? You know I will and will always find you!” Eunbi screamed with a winning smile in her face.

 

Yewon know she lost her battle with Eunbi. Eunbi has always been good with words. It’s true that Eunbi tried to steal her bicycle when they were 8 year old and it was because Eunbi was very persistent in making friends with her.

 

As a child, Yewon’s family kept moving from places to places because of her father’s occupation. This kept Yewon from making friends to the children in their neighborhood because she knows that one day, she will leave them. Yewon always make sure not to make too much attachment or not make friends at all.

 

10 years ago, when their family moved to this complex, she reminds herself of what she needs to do. Well, it was going smooth until she met Eunbi. This kid has been bugging her for 2 weeks and she just can’t tell her mother that she don’t want to go out because she don’t want make friends but she makes sure to avoid this Eunbi kid at all cost.

 

She tried to hide in different places but no matter where she go, Eunbi kept finding her. What Eunbi said was true, she will and always will find her way to her.

 

She decided to finally face Eunbi, her face still blushing. She looks at Eunbi and what she saw still amazes her. Eunbi looks like at her she always did for the last 10 years; that look that wanted to protect her at all costs.

 

“You okay?” Eunbi asked her with a worried look on her face. Her feet automatically dragged itself to go near Yewon. It’s funny how Eunbi goes on 911 mode when Yewon doesn’t look good.

 

“Nothing. It’s just that… I-…” Yewon trailing off, as she moves her eyes away from Eunbi’s because she can snap anytime.

 

“What?” Eunbi held her chin and make sure that she is looking her in the eyes.

 

“Remember when I told you I love you when we were 8 because I was very thankful that you convinced my parents not to move again?” She said as she plays with her hands.

 

“Yes. No one wants to play with me except you so I figured out I need to convince your parents to stay here.”

 

“It’s because you’re mean that no one wants to play with you.” Yewon laughed, which made her somehow comfortable.

 

“Yewon!” Eunbi looked at her with a judging look in her eyes.

 

“Eunbi?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“I love the way you annoyed me. I love the way you tried to make friends with me. I love the way you try your best to find me. I love the way you looked at me in the eye and tell me everything is going to be okay. I love you, Eunbi.”

 

Yewon was finally able to tell all her feelings at once. She’s been carrying this since that day and she never had a courage to tell Eunbi how she felt. She knows Eunbi would never return her feelings, she just wanted to make friends with her because she’s the only person willing do so.

 

She was having a hard time breathing after confessing but when she saw that the look in Eunbi, her breathing came back to normal. Eunbi was still looking at her with the same look in the eyes. She didn’t say anything but her eyes says a lot of things.

 

The next thing Yewon knew was her lips was on Eunbi’s. She was surprised but the person in front of her had her eyes closed, Eunbi’s hands was carefully caressing her back and neck which sent a chill to her spine.

 

She didn’t know how to react to this. This was not on her plan. Yewon knew Eunbi would walk away from her after her confession. She’s lost in her own thoughts and she didn’t notice Eunbi pulled away.

 

“Hey, Yewon! Earth to Yewon!” Eunbi was snapping her fingers in front of her.

 

Yewon was pulled back to reality. “What happened?”

 

“This.” and Eunbi pulled her for another kiss.

 

This time, Yewon was able to react. If this is a dream, Yewon needs to make sure she reacts to Eunbi kissing her. She followed Eunbi’s lead and her hands were now on Eunbi’s waist.

 

What surprised her the most was Eunbi kept saying “I love yous” in between kisses. Yewon then knew this wasn’t a dream.

 

“You will always be the best thing that happened in my life.” Eunbi pulled away for a second just to tell Yewon and she pulled her again for another kiss.