03 Venus meets Mars

The cat is my roommate (Yoongi x OC)


 

Hannah sat on the sofa alone, not even knowing if she had the right to be present during her grandmother’s last will reading. But she was called in, just like her father.

 

With him and step-mother sitting up front near the lawyer’s desk, ready to hear what was there to inherit after the deceased. Hannah still couldn’t get used to the fact how her family turned out to be.

 

The woman sitting ahead, barely older that her by 7 years, had the audacity not only to ruin what was dear to Hannah before, but also the nerve of asking to call her ‘mom’. Hannah couldn’t stop thinking that now, she was pretty much the same age as her when their romance started.

 

6 years passed since step-mom moved into the house, the one Hannah still didn’t feel like leaving as it was the only reminiscence of her mother and the happier times. Though Hannah hopelessly tried to keep onto those memories, with time – they only polluted her mind and left her unable to see clear.

 

The time of the two of them – lovebirds – building their own family started and Hannah was just an addition to their perfect picture. A cute accessory used whenever someone could gain anything from her presence.

 

As time passed she drawn herself away from the two of them.

 

With how it could be and how her life actually turned out, Hannah couldn’t really name the feelings that crackled the rigid mechanism of her rusted heart after hearing that Grandma died.

 

A thought that she died alone still left her insides cramping painfully.

 

It swept Hannah off her feet when she learned the fact, that Grandmother left her and her only the apartment, the book collection placed in it and quite a sum of money behind. Clearly something what her step-mother was after while dressing all up fancy and coming there.

 

What Hannah wasn’t able to say was reflected in the tears which unknowingly slid down her cheeks as she tried to process this life-changing information.

 

It was true. She was the only grandchild her grandmother had, but after all theses years since they didn’t see each other. All those missed Christmas, birthdays, holidays & the great distance that separated them – Hannah wasn’t sure if she could still count on a person and the place she only had happy memories with – being Grandma’s home.

 

It turned out – she could.

 

Not only that – again, Hannah felt immediate guilt grasping her stomach, turning it upside down.

 

Even though they lived apart for so many years, there was nothing that could stop her from reaching out to her Grandma after she came of age. Then why didn’t she?

 

Hannah pinched her forearm while trying to push away the urge to cry.

 

As simple as it was – getting hurt again by being rejected – that’s what kept her away.

 

Now thoughts of her selfishness were going to hunt her forever.

 

Was anything about the cat written there? She could not recall as she sprinted down the street, leaving the man she just encountered alone in her just inherited property.

 

After she helplessly tried to interrogate his purposes of appearing in her life so suddenly – Hannah couldn’t think straight anymore while being in his close presence. While she was unable to comprehend the situation. His tone, movements and the way of being inside the house seemed way to confident & poised as if he truly knew every & each of its nooks.

 

For her to imagine living with a man, in this case a completely unknown one – under one roof seemed to be a bit too much to handle. A bit too much to imagine.

 

It’s impossible… she kept repeating inside her mind. This kind of – magic? What even is this? What is he? She wasn’t able stop overthinking, but didn’t she see it with her own eyes?

 

The way he shape-shifted right in front of her. Was it just an illusion? The alter-effects of being hungover? Hannah couldn’t stop wondering while remembering his morphing abilities which till now she only recognized from books, movies or most popular series premiered on popular platforms.

 

Still dressed in the pajamas, gray pants splattered with little stars and random t-shirt with an uplifting message printed on it – G R L P W R – and no memories of why she even bought it. With an over-sized cardigan thrown over her shoulders and flip flops on her feet, she got to the market which was just two blocks away.

 

The look of all the fresh vegetables, fruits and foods of all sort left salivating and stomach grumbling at the delicious smells of street food stalls already gearing up for opening. Thank God that out of habit, she grasped her pouch right before leaving the apartment.

 

With that little heart skip, Hannah reached into the pocket of her cardigan to recheck if it was still there.

 

I’m Sugar.” His soft voice rung in her ears again. “Your Grandma used to call me that.”

 

Who says that? She thought. Sugar?! That’s ridiculous! Went through her mind but then she felt blood rushing to her cheeks, embarrassed at the memory of her grandmother.

 

Did she love him? Hannah asked herself as she was still unable to think of him other than as an intruder in her peacefully boring life.

 

Was he with her in his human form as well? She wondered unable to not be envious of the moments their shared. Every time he mentioned Grandma, his features and eyes softened in a way she felt disturbed about. She felt jealous of.

 

Among his point of being there in the house together with her grandmother – I was with her till she was gone.” – stung Hannah straight at heart.

 

Though “She wasn’t suffering.” could soothe her a little bit, but having a feeling that this… unfamiliar man was way closer to her own Grandmother than she ever was, affected her.

 

The details he recalled either from the times she was still healthy, those of Grandma’s personality and her way of being which Hannah was still reminded of ever since childhood and early teen days. All of these left her chest cramping, making it hard to breathe.

 

That choking feeling and the urge to cry out loud – was enough she could handle. No matter if he was real or not, if he were to stay behind where she left him or rush after her. Hannah knew that for her to not break – she had to get out, leave the apartment & that guy behind.

 

Hannah slowed down her pace, feeling as if someone had punched her in the stomach.

 

Another escape? She asked herself with a sigh. Soon it’ll be something I’m the best at.

 

Strolling around the market was definitely helping her to ease her quickened heartbeat and clear up her thoughts. Some people she recognized from the funeral, those who claimed themselves as good friends of her grandmother greeted her with such smiles, Hannah found it hard to not return. At the same time, with a prayer that no one would come closer in order to talk with her – she kept on taking different turns whenever someone waved or called out.

 

When she came by another clothing stall, a thought of “Sugar” sitting , barely covered by the bed sheets in the middle of the living room went through her head.

 

It was for just a mere second, but still could she really neglect what he said, what he imposed and the fact the he did not consider leaving apartment she now was the lawful owner of.

 

Hannah pursued her lips into a tight line already feeling her cheeks getting ever more red as she sighed and gently touched a simple white t-shirt with a smiling pineapple on it. I don’t even know if it would fit him. She thought.

 

Unknowingly she glanced to the side to check on the male sweatpants the stall lady had put out there as well.

 

The material seemed nice. Soft and by looking at the length – it seemed that they would fit him. She looked back at the t-shirt when – “I don’t like it.” Hannah almost jumped up at his sudden appearance right beside her.

 

“Huh? You?!” She pointed at him with one finger unable to process what he had on.

 

Her other pajama pants, these were of purple color with white stars of different sizes covering them all. She measured him.

 

With this look on him we’re looking like some damn couple – Hannah thought and looked down onto her pants. What he wore as top was one of her over-sized t-shirts with a fluffy, smiling Totoro on it. Another pair of a bit too small flip flops on his feet.

 

“Do you think of me so low?” He asked with furrowed eyebrows and looked at the smiling pineapple in disappointment.

 

As she noticed that something was missing, Hannah didn’t find the golden bell at his neck anymore and couldn’t stop wondering if it was something else he got from her Grandma.

 

He looked at her wary after no reaction to his question and for a total of an eye-blinking their gazes met.

 

“I don’t understand how you can nag about it.” Hannah blurred out and looked away. She then threw the t-shirt back at the stall “Aren’t you wearing my clothes right now?! I don’t see the difference in style.” She replied sharply and pointed at his chest with her finger.

 

Sugar blinked few times astonished by her outburst and glanced down at his new look. “But I like it.” she heard him reply with no constraint.

 

She saw him him pulling the material around his neck up to his nostrils “I like the smell and how it’s mixed with your scent.” Hannah heard him adding, having her embarrassed at the spot.

 

“Tch!” She scoffed, turned around and rushed ahead with forearms crossed in front of her chest. What is he saying?! Hannah pouted in embarassment and with furrowed eyebrows kept marching without looking back to check on if he followed after her.

 

If she cared or not – “Also there’s nothing to eat in the fridge?” after few seconds she heard coming from the side.

 

“When did you…?” Hannah wanted to ask but after realizing how close he followed, she gained enough will to only glance at him briefly – “I don’t know, I didn’t bother with food lately.” she snapped over her shoulder and fastened her pace.

 

Unaware that she was getting straight into a trap – “Good morning Hannah-yah!” she heard her name suddenly paralyzed in place and looked in the direction the voice was coming from. There, she recognized one of the neighbor friends of old date, which grandma as she learned with time – used to play cards with at the community center.

 

“Good morning auntie...” Hannah replied politely still unable to get used to how people actually recognized her as the granddaughter of their deceased acquaintance and felt bound of asking about all the details of her life whenever the chance was given.

 

It frustrated her sometimes as the neighborhood she now lived at was mainly resident by elderly people, where around 80% of them if not more knew each other thanks to the community center.

 

“It’s good to finally see you out!!” The lady grasped Hannah’s shoulders and then squeezed her chin as if she was not 25 but 5 instead.

 

“Ahaha…” Hannah tried to smile but cringed internally at the touch. The lady measured her from head to toes and smacked in disapproval.

 

“So thin. Do you even eat – my dear?!” she nodded her head rather disappointed that wholeheartedly worried.

 

“I … “ Hannah was about to defense herself when the auntie looked to her side and noticed ‘HIM’.

 

“And who’s this?” she asked and “BOYFRIEND?!” Hannah heard her almost screaming in excitement, causing those passing by to look at them, checking what was the reason of such scene.

 

Hannah’s mouth opened as she tried to find the proper words to get out of the situation without the unnecessary rumors spreading around and becoming the attention center of the whole elderly community living in the area.

 

“We...” She started while her panicked mind couldn’t find the solution that could save her and clear things up.

 

“I’m Suga – we live together.” he bluntly replied and put on the most charming smile Hannah could imagine. Like those handsome rom-com type of guys trying to smitten those around them without truly honest feelings driving them into doing so, but after seeing the auntie’s reaction.

 

He really had his ways – Hannah had to admit, as the elder woman looked at him with a huge smile and immediately patted his forearm “OH ho ho?” she squealed and looked back at Hannah while nodding in approvement.

 

“...AS ROOMMATES!” Hannah slipped in panic and elbowed Suga in the stomach “Yes, indeed! I decided to rent a spare room!” she ended while trying to remain calm and even the pace of her breathing.

 

“OH?” the lady couldn’t stop smiling and even winked in response “A roommate?” she repeated after Hannah and checked on Suga massaging his stomach in the place he got hit.

 

“So smart. There’s no need to be shy, sweetie!” the auntie stated and this time pulled Hannah into a hug. “It’s also good to see you not being alone, my dear.” she said after releasing her from the embrace “Maybe I should also rent one of the rooms?”

 

The auntie added while literally checking out Suga’s physique from head to toes.

 

The woman said her goodbye and went away while waving at them cheerfully.

 

It felt weird to be said that. Hannah thought while watching the auntie leaving. To know that strangers seemed to care more about her than the family she left behind. Such realization took her a while to get a grip and leave the market.

 


 

“I can’t believe that you bought it.” Suga sulked as he sat on the couch. The pineapple t-shirt in his hands.

 

As she stood in front of him “So – you’re Suga now?” Hannah ignored his point and asked with forearms crossed in front of her chest. Why did she put on such a posture? Was she going to scold him? Hannah thought and disturbed, let both hands fall loose on her sides.

 

He looked at her with a risen eyebrow. On his bare feet she noticed red marks left by her too tight flip flops.

 

“Well – after I followed, moment of realization came to me that a more human like name would be better. ‘Sugar’ would be too much, right?” he explained and relaxed lounged on the couch as if it has always been there for him and his leisure only. As if he knew best of how to make best use of it.

 

“Whatever.” Hannah shook her head still unable to grasp his ways “You should be glad that I bought it for you since seems that – I’m the one with money here.” she snapped and again tangled her arms in front.

 

As closed as it seemed – this position of her body let her regain a least scraps of her inner peace. Made her feel safer and boosted confidence enough to speak out louder/more coherently.

 

His expression of furrowed eyebrows and eyes reaching somewhere to the side as if he was trying to recall what earning money actually was – sent Hannah’s level of annoyance over the until now limit.

 

“Alright! I am done with you. That’s it – we need to have some contract made in here! Like a list of boundaries you can’t cross.” she stated all of a sudden what left him moving closer to the couch’s edge. Making him listen to her attentively.

 

“Boundaries?” Suga repeated not able to put the puzzles of what she meant together.

 

Hannah sighed at the misty thought of living together with the person she had in front of her. How could he not get what she said? She sighed.

 

“If you’re to stay here, which as you imply is guaranteed for you in Grandma’s last will.” she started and took a deep breathe before continuing “We need to set some rules of living under one roof, even if it’s just for a while… – don’t you think?” she ended and looked at him in search of a reaffirming nod.

 

Instead, Suga stood up and slid hands into pockets.

 

“USELESS.” he confronted in just one, simple word.

 

“What do you mean?!” she was about to throw a fist but when she stomped a step at his direction, he did the same towards her. The sudden distance shortage between them took her aback.

 

“I don’t like rules.” he added as calmly as possible without breaking the eye contact between them. The first so long one the two of them exchanged.

 

“I don’t care!” Embarrassed by his reaction, Hannah turned away and went to the kitchen for few seconds only to come back with a piece of paper and a pen back.

 

Suga watched her sitting near the table and aggressively writing each of the letters and points down – one by one.

 

ROOMMATE RULES – the title a the top of the page said.

 

“Point ‘1. Day or night, you won’t enter my bedroom’” Hannah declaimed harshly as she wrote it down and swiftly threatened him with her index finger.

 

To which he did not oppose, so she continued.

“Point ‘2. I’m washing up first.’ – the lock is broken so don’t even think of entering while I’m in the bathroom.” She added not even realizing how adorably charming her worked up face seemed to him.

 

“Understood?” Hannah asked him with a glare to which he shrugged his shoulders.

 

“I see – Point ‘3. It would be cool if you could earn some money…” she added to which he replied with a risen eyebrow – “...but considering your ‘situation’, I’m not sure if you’re able to.” Hannah continued coldly without looking at his face.

 

“Point ‘4. We’ll share chores – like cleaning, making groceries or cooking.’” she glanced at him swiftly finally getting a hold of her sharp tone.

 

“And last one … I guess – ‘5. All your feelings, if anything ever goes wrong… I want you to keep them to yourself. Do you understand?” She summed up more softly and while he did not answer – looked at him again.

 

“Wrong?” Suga repeated inquiringly of what she had in mind. When she dodged it and his eyes, he sighed and hung his head low at a loss.

 

“So? What do you say?” She tried to urge him in need of any kind of response. Was I too much? Went through her mind, but at the same time she knew that without these she couldn’t imagine going on with him under one roof.

 

What would we do? She thought nervously.

 

Suga pulled hands out of his pockets and sat at the opposite to her side of the table. Hannah looked as he rested elbows on the table and leaned forward. The same arcane look in his cat-eyes she already saw before.

 

“I will accept them only if you’ll agree to follow few of mine.” He replied with such a half-smile that left her puzzled at her sit.

 

“You can write them down as well.” He insisted after seeing her reaction and one by one drawn his fingers up to list.

 

“One. Always tell the truth. Lies are a big no.” she heard him and unknowingly shook her head at such a naive statement of his. What? Were they like – twelve?

 

“Do you have anything to say against it? Go write them down – otherwise I’m not doing it.” he urged her and waited until while eyeing him with tantrum in her eyes, she started writing again.

 

“Two. Always keep your promises – I’m going to be super-hurt if you don’t so keep that in mind.” he continued to which – “What? Are you really a kiddo?” Hannah snorted while an uncontrollable half-smile lit up her face.

 

After seeing that, he continued with a smile “Three. Share meals, we’ll eat together – no exceptions.”

 

All Hannah could do was sigh. On one side it didn’t mean much, but on the other while knowing her over-analyzing/introverted self – she knew that following that rule wouldn’t come easy to her.

 

“Four...” Suga hesitated while the corners of his lips dropped a little “Since you said it yourself – no feelings … I demand – no crying or worries, just smiles.” he ended to which she looked at him wary.

 

Did he really care? Went through her mind.

 

She ended the rule with a smiley face drawing at the end to which he nodded in approvement.

 

“And the last one – Five..." he started and touched his chin deep in thoughts "There shall be ‘A Me time’ for half a day each day – where you’ll be focused on me only. Show me around, take me places – talk with me – is this one clear?” He stated in a tone disallowing any sign of objection. The one Hannah felt like she had no chance defeating in a verbal discussion.

 

“This is ridiculous.” she simply stated, unable to realize what in the world would he gain from this list.

 

“Write it down, or I won’t agree to any of your RULES.” he assured her calmly.

 

“But – half a day?!” Hannah couldn’t quite digest all his claims.

 

To which “Why complaining? Do you have anything better to do? Because I don’t think so.” he scoffed.

 

Simple piece of paper which was both – separating and linking them.

 

Points from both sides. Pros & cons of living together.

 

The 10 rules were confirmed with two signs underneath.

 

 

The first clash of Venus with Mars on Earth.

 

 



 

 

Thank you very much for subscribing, reading my story and upvoting it

I still wish to read your comments. I wish I could somehow get more people to find this fic ^^'

well maybe one day ^3^

I hope that you enjoyed