02 Starstruck

The cat is my roommate (Yoongi x OC)


 

The hall was full of people – and it angered him to the bone.

 

The fact that it was the second funeral he ever dared to be a part of left his palms sweating. He rubbed them against his dark blue pants – the only he was able to “borrow” in such a short time – and clenched both into fists.

 

With tightening grip, he kept kneeling on the floor while trying to look unshaken by what was his main purpose of being there.

 

Torn – that’s how he felt sitting there. Right in between all these people. Neighbors he somehow recognized faces of and most he had never seen before.

 

Where were they when she was still there?… alive? He questioned in overwhelming frustration.

 

How could he expect an answer if none of it was asked out loud? He thought while looking at these around him with furrowed eyebrows. Even though he knew that among all gathered in the hall, he was simply no one and someone who had no right to blame them.

 

Unfamiliar faces of the closest and more distant family of hers which only after some time, he could somehow link to the photos she had back at home.

 

Together with the neighbors, they were either crying or just playing the role, either mourning in silence or talking louder than allowed while thinking of the respect that should be paid in memory of the deceased.

 

That woman deserved better – he thought with fists grasping tighter on the lose material of his pants. Though he had spent some time looking for them, finding the right size was out of his reach at the moment he decided to attend the ceremony. Thinking of how he managed to get the clothes left him pursuing his lips into a tight line.

 

At least he didn’t have to pay much attention to finding shoes… as everyone around were shoe-less.

 

Although with his presence there, he gained himself few curious looks questioning his possible relation to the dead woman they were mourning over – Yoongi couldn’t care less.

 

The only person that wholeheartedly cared for him was gone and to truly appreciate everything she’s done for him, he had to be there and in his mind there was no doubt about it.

 

As tiring & rather troublesome – that is how he always thought of the people around him.

 

That was until Grandma decided to take a strolling around while looking for food cat under her roof and not even knowing its name called it as sweet as Sugar.

 

He suppressed the sudden groan of pain in his throat, the outcome of how the pain he felt gripped onto his guts and chest. Yoongi blinked few times, trying to get rid of the tears that formed in the corners of his eyes and peeked around.

 

No one seemed to notice his brief breakdown.

 

He blinked few times, trying to adjust his still swollen eyelids to the amount of bright light filling the hall. Considering the darkness of the night and stars filling the sky as his biggest friends, he found himself lost in the realm of daylight.

 

Grandma…

 

Yes, he called her like that though no blood relation was bounding them.

 

Yoongi grasped the white shirt falling loose on his chest as he felt the insides clamping around his throbbing heart. It’s been so long since he had someone that close and all those happy moments seemed to dim his mind from thinking clear. Made him forget that family meant nothing but – pain.

 

Just one look around on the people gathered in the name of her memory proved it.

 

Family? He questioned doubting the so called bond they could share with the deceased.

 

To him, the family he gained over the past year was gone.

 

He didn’t really know her age, Grandma always seemed full of vigor and will to live another day. It ached him deep inside his heart to be the witness of her health’s downfall. Everything seemed to be happening in a time equal to an eye-blinking and even when she was taken to the hospital, he tried to do everything he could to stay by her side.

 

Firstly resentful but still too hungry and tired to leave her side, a day, week, month, year – he stayed with her.

 

Now, he had nothing again.

 

Back to his usual strolling on the streets without purpose.

 

As if he didn’t get his lessons before. Didn’t any type of closeness with others always end with one side ending hurt and wrecked for long after? – he thought.

 

This time was no different. Yoongi felt a warm tear sliding down his cheek and quickly wiped it off with his fingers. Agitated, he looked around to check if any of the mourners around him noticed but found no one paying any attention to him.

 

Urge to leave the hall grasped onto his stomach, turning it upside down or was it just the hunger he felt since yesterday. Cold sweat and panic of being asked unnecessary questions left his mouth go dry. Just like any other time in his human form.

 

Yoongi was about to pull himself up from his knees and leave at the spot. If it wasn’t for him loosing balance because of too loose pantlegs getting tangled and leaning a bit forward to regain it – he wouldn’t have noticed.

 

Just one look left his heart throbbing painfully after everything he once loved. Just one look was enough to fill him with longing to go back in time and feel the good that happened to him again.

 

The girl’s skin was pure white and looked as almost glowing in the light falling onto her. Surrounded by her closest relatives, only her lifted and uptight shoulders told how bravely she tried to keep her posture straight. To not break down.

 

While on her knees with hand gripping onto her own thighs tightly, dressed in a white long-sleeved shirt and black pencil skirt, with long and black hair tightly combed into a ponytail falling onto her right shoulder.

 

Yoongi recognized her.

 

The girl from the photo, which Grandma had on the bedside table. The only granddaughter she had. He remembered.

 

Looking at her felt nostalgic. As if he was reaching into the past colored in sepia.

 

Bitter-sweet taste had the thoughts once he imagined himself by her side. As if he traveled back to the happiest moments, those of being part of someone’s family. Those he had lost only two days ago.

 

Though happiest, recalling them made him sad.

 

The girl seemed to be more mature and grown than what he saw on the photo, but still her features remained touched by that youthful gentleness what left him staring in her direction blankly.

 

Starstruck – he felt.

 

It was hard to admit but it was like seeing his own reflection mirrored in her. She seemed just like him. Visibly torn with the feelings joggling her insides.

 

Her eyes were twinkling because of all the tears she’s been trying to keep in from falling.

 

The memory of that day remained fresh in his mind.

 

Now, finally in his human form – with her in front of him – with an expression on her face so different from the one he remembered, all he could do was stare at her blankly. Silently admiring the palette of emotion she portrayed in front of him.

 

Breathing heavily, with one of her slippers in her hand Hannah stood near the bed ready to aim at the intruder. With the corner of her eye, he noticed her searching for her phone.

 

After locating its position on the bed sheets, not so far away from Yoongi’s right hand and assessing the distance she had to pass to get it – she fixed her eyes back on his and asked “Who… who the hell are you?!”

 

He heard mixture of anger and nervousness in her voice, though she tried to confront him unfazed.

 

He looked at her as if he had found something he’d lost a long time ago and even though Hannah couldn’t realize the meaning of his gaze right away, there was that some kind of force hovering over, letting her curiosity win rather than the urge of screaming out loud for help.

 

Who could possibly hear her? Went through her mind as she thought of the neighbors she barely knew names or could recognize faces of.

 

Great, not wanting to be a burden to others is going to pay off finally – she cringed at the irony – no one is going to even realize that something happened to me. Hannah thought with heart pounding way too fast inside her chest.

 

She looked at him wary. The color of his hair seemed strangely similar to the cat’s fur, no matter how ridiculous that thought was to actually be true.No way...” she kept on repeating in her mind – because how could it be real?

 

As she looked at him, i got to her that he looked quite... exhausted?

 

Oh Lord! She screamed internally and looked down at herself.

 

The same pajamas she wore yesterday was still in place, so – nothing happened?… I guess. Hannah cringed at her own thoughts

 

“I did not harm you.” his clear voice broke out and left her gaping at him with the grip on the slipper still not lessening. He rubbed both of his eyelids as if he tired to get rid of the sleepiness and sat up on the bed.

 

“Who are you?” was everything she could ask after looking away when the sheet slid down his chest, leaving it exposed.

 

“What are you doing here – ?!” she added louder than before. Her embarrassment didn’t prevent her from noticing how slim and toned at the same time the upper half of his body looked.

 

“I know that you’re smart enough to figure it out yourself.” was what he answered after going through his hair with one hand. The bell rung softly with each of his movements.

 

“Excuse me?” she asked bewildered still not able to process through what his was saying, while her brain already added these few facts she had.

 

Dark, auburn hair, the peachy ribbon she already saw many times and such a familiar bell sound which she got used to over the past months. Out of all, mostly his eyes reminded her of someone she knew but couldn’t name.

 

“What is that supposed to mean?” Hannah mumbled, while her head spun in the stream of all the conjectures flooding in.

 

“Out of all… I thought that you would be the one to understand.” he continued with a disappointment mixed sadness glint in his eyes.

 

Hannah looked at him doubtful “I do not understand.” she replied and flinched astonished when he suddenly moved and pulled the sheets over his head.

 

She could see saw him disappearing under the cover. The shape which his body formed underneath it shrunk in a matter of few seconds as if his presence evaporated from the room – just as if he was like a dream she woke up from.

 

Hannah held her breath bewildered when closer to the bed’s edge – something moved under the sheet. Two more seconds passed until she saw the familiar cat’s head popping out.

 

Believing without seeing the proof was impossible, but seeing the proof right in front of her, processing each of his words & actions – how could she not accept that dose of fantasy being thrown into her life?

 

The slipper fell out of her hand as she stepped back towards the door.

 

What was it? Why did it happen to her? How could it? Mechanisms of her mind went beyond overheating as she asked herself all these questions. How bad it was that she had no emergency button to press and reset herself from this darnedest situation.

 

Hannah didn’t even realize when the cat materialized into the same boy she faced a moment ago and reached for the door handle right before her.

 

While he blocked her escape route – Hannah shivered at the sudden wave of his warmth almost encasing her in an embrace.

 

“Wait.” – she heard with his lips right next to her ear.

 

“What are you doing?” Hannah panted paralyzed by the fact of him being so close to her.

 

“Don’t you remember?” he added, with no sign of constraint in either his voice or posture.

 

“What?” she couldn’t look at him.

 

“Grandma’s last will.” he simply stated to which Hannah’s brows furrowed, but still she didn’t expect him say...

 

– “The condition you were given to live here – I am it. I am the one who you will take care of.” she heard.

 

 



 

 

 

Hi~! It’s been a long time but here it is ^^ another pov, let me know what you think of this outline?

Leave some comments please! Did you like it?

It would be fun to explore the dynamic between these two – stay tuned ^^