08. Erased

Erased.

Mina’s training continued even after the party. It was a busy cold Monday, and it was just last night when she and Momo shared this intimate moment. And she still couldn’t believe that she had done it. Her face flushed red at the memory. It’s as if the feeling never left her body. Momo’s scent still lingers in her consciousness. If she knew it would feel that good, she should have done it sooner with Momo. But she felt that last night was the perfect time. And the reality sinks in, Mina is engaged to Jin-young, and it was more apparent with the knowing look of the office employees when she and Jin-young walked together towards the elevator this morning.

“How are you?” Jin-young worriedly asked. She knows Mina isn’t happy about the engagement since she is seeing someone else.

“Let’s talk about it later.” She said, not wanting anyone to hear what she’s about to say.

When they reached Jin-young’s office, Mina settled into the couch. Jin-young joined her sitting across the other chair.

“Let’s call off the engagement soon” Mina stated, it doesn’t sound like a plea or a suggestion, it sounded like a command. He felt his throat tighten with the statement.

“But we cannot just cancel it, you know your father” he logically said, stating facts. Mina was silenced, thinking of other options.

“We can play along with your father for now, and then you can ask him to cancel soon or give him any other options that would benefit him in exchange for calling off the engagement” he added.

Mina thought about the idea, and she nodded in agreement as there’s no other option now but to play along than to act without any concrete plans.

“Sure, let’s do that”

 

++

 

Nayeon is determined to win Momo back, and the first step to do that is to end every connection she has with Hyunbin. She’s now on her way towards the producer’s office when she hears that the man is talking with someone on the phone. It wasn’t her intention to eavesdrop but with the mention of a familiar name, she didn’t proceed opening the door and let the conversation go.

“You never disappoint me Producer Lee” Hyunbin mentioned the name of the Mnet’s producer and it intrigued her. She couldn’t hear what Producer Lee was saying but she felt it smelled of trouble.

“Hahaha, you really know me, I’m that kind of person. When someone is getting into my nerves, I want to get rid of them. That Hirai Momo should know her place” he wickedly laughed.

Nayeon felt her knees weaken at the revelation. She cupped to halt the sound of her cry. She couldn’t believe that Momo’s been entangled with her mess and she knew Hyunbin has a big influence on those producers. And he can really get what he wants. She felt weak at the realization, her mind couldn’t even think straight as her mind was all fuzzy. Her determination is crumbling down but her hand shakes in anger. This man is evil, and her life as well is in danger if she stays longer in his grasp. She should face the consequences even if it costs her her career or her life. She already paid the price of her dream, it was Momo, her happiness, and to let herself be used over and over by that man, and now she wanted to at least save the remaining bit of sanity and to leave this hell and start over.

With a decisive mind, she pushed the door lever, leaving Hyunbin a bit surprised by the sudden appearance. He immediately ended the call and stood up, clearing his throat.

“What made you go here?” He asked, Nayeon doesn’t usually go to his office.

The girl scanned the desk, and it infuriated her more when she saw the papers scattered on it. She wasn’t wrong, it was Momo’s profile and information. She tried to contain her anger, wanting to be as composed as she could so it wouldn’t be a messier discussion.

“Let’s end everything, Hyunbin.” she sternly stated. And Hyunbin didn’t like the words that came out of Nayeon’s mouth.

“What are you talking about?” He annoyingly asked.

“I said what I said, I don’t want to be involved with you in any way” she rephrased for him to get what she was saying.

“Are you out of your mind, huh?” His voice is grim, his teeth gritting in disapproval.

“Maybe yes! And the more I’m in this hell, the more I’m losing my mind” she yelled and Hyunbin grabbed her arms forcefully and his other arm raised threatening to slap her. Nayeon didn’t flinch.

“Go ahead and hit me! Kill me if you want! I don’t care, I’m already dead inside the moment I step into this ing hell of yours!” She cried, releasing all her pent up frustrations, anger, and desperation. Her chest is heaving in up and down motion, her tears unconsciously fell.

Hyunbin was frozen in his feet. Nayeon removed her hand from his grasp and she took the keys that he gave her, the keys to her apartment and the car that he gifted and threw them on the floor.

“If it weren’t for me, you wouldn’t even be able to achieve that success! You were nothing!!”

She perked her head in disbelief of what he’s saying. “Really? Did I not pay the price for all of that?”

With that last statement, Nayeon turned her back, fixing herself and she exited the office in a hurried step.

Hyunbin felt his nerves about to burst in utter rage. He threw all the things at the top of her desk, releasing the temper. You’ll regret this Nayeon.

 

++

 

It shouldn’t be a surprise when Nayeon’s current project got cancelled. She knew Hyunbin would do this as soon as she cut ties with him. Now she’s inside the hotel room she booked, looking for an apartment online. She has to be independent, she knows she has to start from scratch again with her career but it doesn’t matter, she feels better now that she did the first step in returning her life back. And she wished that sooner, Momo could see the change and would reconsider going back to her, the old Nayeon.

 

++

 

“Mr. Myoui, I have something important to tell you” Jin-young went to Mr. Myoui’s office this evening to tell the news.

“What is it? Is that so important that you have to personally tell me?” the father asked, curious with the serious tone of his officer in charge.

“Mina is seeing someone” He did not beat around the bush and say it directly.

“Who is this bastard that she’s seeing?”

Jin-young immediately pulls out the contents of the envelope he’s holding. He gave the photos of the two together.

“She’s Hirai Momo, an underground band vocalist. No name in industry and living in the crowded area of downtown Seoul. I’m afraid she will cause trouble for your plans, Mr. Myoui. Mina’s head over heels for that girl” he stated, spilling everything that he has researched about Momo.

Mr. Myoui balled his fist in frustration. He can’t let Mina be swayed with someone who’s not even near her level. Most especially when he already has plans for her daughter’s marriage. The best option for Mina is Jin-young, he’s smart, he came from a well known family, and he already proven to him multiple times that he can lead his company.

“I cannot let Mina go near that girl ever. Jin-young, please gather our security personnel and also, let’s postpone temporarily her management training. Confiscate her phone and laptops, she cannot communicate with that girl. I needed to discipline Mina to knock her senses off.”

Jin-young was also surprised with how strict Mr. Myoui is to her daughter, but he has to do it. Or else, his chance will slip in front of his eyes.

“I will work on it early tomorrow Mr. Myoui, also can I ask you a favor?”

“What is it?”

“Can you please not tell Mina I’m the one who told you about her secret relationship with Momo?”

“No worries. Just do your best in keeping an eye on her” Mr. Myoui agreed and then Jin-young his back, leaving the office.

 

I’m sorry Mina.

 

++

 

Mina woke up feeling a bit absurd. She doesn’t know why but when she took a glance outside from her window, she saw bodyguards surrounding their house. She knew it was their own security personnel with their uniform. In a moment, someone knocked on her door but even without her permission, the door opened and two female bodyguards went inside.

“Wait! What are you doing?!”

“Mr. Myoui ordered us to confiscate these” one of the female bodyguards took her mobile phones and laptop.

“No way! What’s happening?! Give it back!” She yelled trying to take back her belongings.

“Please cooperate Ms. Myoui, we are just doing our job.”

“Can I talk to my father at least?” She begged, just wanting an explanation on what’s happening.

They dialed Mr. Myoui’s number, on speaker mode, so Mina could hear the voice even without her holding her phone.

“Good morning Mr. Myoui, your daughter wanted to talk to you, you are on speaker mode”

“Dad, what’s happening? Why are they confiscating my things and what’s with the security squad outside the house?” Mina spontaneously asked.

“This is for you. To knock some senses on that stupid brain of yours. So stop seeing Momo and be an obedient daughter! I will soon book you and Jin-young a flight to the US so for the meantime, you will be locked down in that house. I don’t want you talking to that girl again! You’ll know what happens to Momo if you disobey me.” Her father grimly said. And she felt her world come crashing down, and now she’s falling on her knees.

She didn’t retaliate anymore as the bodyguard had already disappeared from her sight. She’s now sitting at the side of her bed, tucking in her knees. She feels helpless. How can she talk to Momo, she couldn’t even tell her the situation. All she could do was cry on her bed like a loser. She knew her father was serious. She’s afraid to know what lengths her father can go to keep Momo away from her if she fights back.

I must do something.

 

++

 

Momo felt something was wrong when Mina wasn't responding to her messages. She’s been calling her non-stop but it seems that the girl’s phone is off. She usually responds at this hour. She assumes Mina was just busy with her training so she tried to understand, but when it was almost dusk, she felt uneasy. It really doesn’t feel right.

She went to the Myoui’s office building. She waited there for hours and it was almost midnight when she saw a familiar man exit the premises. It was Jin-young, and he’s alone. Where’s Mina?

It was not usual that Mina isn’t showing up at this hour and she’s not with Jin-young. If she’s working under him, Mina should be going home as well.

 

She didn’t hesitate to approach the man.

“Jin-young, where’s Mina? Is she still inside? Where is she?” Momo didn’t falter, impatient to know the answers.

The man didn’t move a muscle at the question as he’s now in front of his car.

“She didn't attend her training, or should I say she will no longer attend her training. Please stop bothering her. She’s not really fond of being around you. You’re not even to her level.” He straight faced said, contented with Momo’s face full of desperation. She doesn’t deserve to be with someone like you.

“You’re lying! Mina will never feel that way!” She’s sure because she’s been with the girl and her actions speak louder.

“If I’m lying, then why is she going to the US with me this weekend?” He dropped the bomb and Momo was dumbfounded by the revelation. It isn’t true. Mina will never leave me behind. She wanted to believe. She wanted to tell on his face that Mina loves her and would never abandon her.

She couldn’t control the rage that’s welling up inside her chest. His mocking face just adds to her exasperation. It was like he’s looking down at her. In a moment, she clutched her balled fist onto his collar, pinning him against his car.

“I’m not dumb, Jin-young! What the hell is happening to Mina?!” Momo gritted her teeth as she couldn’t control her temper. She wasn’t surprised that Jin-young would say these things to her. Maybe he just wants her to give up on Mina so he could have his ways. Momo isn’t oblivious to the fact that this man is bad news.

“You would release your hand or I’ll force you to do that?” Jin-young is still trying to sound composed but his annoyance is budding with this hostile action. Momo didn’t flinch at the statement, but rather, she gripped his colar harder, pushing him hard against the car. Then Jin-young lost his composure and threw a punch on Momo’s face. He doesn’t care if she’s a girl, he just let out all of his strength onto his fist. Momo collapsed to the ground with the heavy blow on her face, her lips were bleeding. She felt her head spinning but when she saw Jin-young approaching her, she instantly stood up, gathering her strength to fight back. She punched him back, really hard that he spit blood at the contact. He wiped his mouth with his thumb as he composed himself. Momo is panting hard, giving all her remaining strength in that punch. Jin-young smirked at the sight.

“You can’t even fight me, how can you fight for Mina? Mr. Hirai already knew about your relationship. If you want to live your life longer, you should know your place Momo, Mina isn’t for you, she’s never belonged to you, because she’s destined to be mine” he smiled devilishly and Momo was dumbfounded by the last statement. She wanted to kill him. But she couldn’t even move a muscle. All she could do was stare at the disappearing car of Jin-young.

Why do I feel so powerless?

 

++

 

Momo didn’t believe in Jin-young so she decided to go to Mina’s house. The house is full of uniformed bodyguards. She walked towards the gate and the man stopped her from her tracks.

“I want to see Mina” she stated and the bodyguard gave him a stare and pushed him away.

“She’s not allowed to have visitors.” the buff guard said in his strict voice. She knew that this is Mr. Myoui’s way of protecting her daughter from her. But she wanted to see Mina at all costs, she wanted to know Mina’s thoughts. She wanted to know if she’s okay, if she’s okay with all of this because she’s not.

With a turn, Momo escaped from the bodyguard who pushed her, and all of them were pursuing her as she entered the gate. She was running like crazy trying to find a way where she could see the girl. The four pursuers were able to catch her, pulling her hand, but she resisted.

She saw a window on the second floor with lights on and she’s quite confident that it was Mina’s room. Without any thoughts, she cried for Mina’s name.

“MINA!”

With her voice, the pursuers easily caught her again and they pulled her away from her position. Even though Momo tried to resist, she couldn’t get a grip on the ground as there were four people mobbing her.

Mina heard her name, and her heart was about to burst knowing who’s the one calling for her name. She immediately peeked outside her window and she could see the bodyguards forcefully pulling Momo away.

“MOMO!” She shouted but she felt the words didn’t reach Momo as she had already disappeared from her sight. “Momo…” her voice cracked as her tears started to fall. She collapsed in her knees feeling down seeing her beloved doing her best to see her and yet she couldn’t do anything about the situation now. I need to do something. But how?

 

++

 

“Sana I need your help!” Momo pleaded. She’s now in front of Sana’s house. She knew this was her only hope to have contact with Mina.

Sana saw how desperate Momo is. And she’s worried at how bad the situation is that Momo looked so beaten with all the bruises on her face. “What’s happening?” She asked as she pulled Momo inside her living room.

“Sana, Mr. Myoui came to know about our relationship, and I couldn’t even talk to Mina, I couldn’t contact her. Her house is also guarded. They even forced me outside. I did everything I could, but…” Momo couldn’t help but to cry and couldn’t even end her sentence. Sana knew this would lead to this, but she couldn’t ignore the fact the two are genuinely in love with each other. She wanted Mina to be happy as well. She wants the best for her best friend and she’s sure Mina would want to talk to Momo if she could. With a heavy sigh, she made her decision.

“I’ll try to do whatever I can so you can at least have contact with her” she assured and Momo didn’t hesitate to throw her arms around Sana. “Thank you Sana”. Sana can tell that Momo is really in love with Mina, and she’s changed a lot ever since she met the girl. I want to see you both happy.

 

++

 

Sana took it seriously when she said she would help the two. It was a cold morning when she went to Mina’s mansion with a convoy. She stepped outside her Rolls-Royce Wraith looking expensive. When she took a step forward, the bodyguard stopped her.

“May I ask who you are and what’s your purpose?”

“Don’t you know me?” Sana removed her sunglasses and picked up her ID in front of the guard’s face.

“Minatozaki Sana, future owner of Minatozaki Holdings Inc., I am here to talk to my friend Mina, so can you remove your filthy hands off of me, please unless you want to be sweeped by my guards?” She added, giving a smirk. The guard felt his cold sweat all over his body and she immediately ordered the other guards to allow her entrance.

This is the power of being wealthy. Anyone can be easily intimidated with her if she acted that way. It’s true anyway. She really can sweep all these guards with the number of guards she’s brought with her.

She was escorted towards Mina’s room. And with a knock, the door was unlocked and opened and she saw Mina’s not so good state. Upon entering, she immediately hugged her best friend.

“Mina-ya, what happened?” Sana worriedly asked as they settled on Mina’s bed. Mina couldn’t control her emotions as she’s now crying on Sana’s shoulders. She was relieved that Sana was able to visit all despite the heavy security outside her house.

“Sana, I need to talk to Momo.” she said in between her sobs.

“I know, she’s the one who asked me to talk to you. Here, keep it” Sana gave her a spare mobile phone she could use to contact the singer.

“Thank you Sana-ya, I owe you a lot”

 

++

 

MN: Momo, I’m really sorry for all this mess. My father is keeping me away from you. He came to know about us, maybe he investigated my whereabouts. I miss you so bad, I will do everything I can to see you soon. I will never go to the US as he planned, I won’t let that happen. I will keep you updated. Please stay strong and be safe. Don’t go here or they might harm you. I love you!

Momo felt her heart sink at the message she received from her girlfriend. She knew Mina is doing her best to see her, she had to believe that she could see her soon and they will eventually be able to be together. She wanted to call her but she realized Mina might be put in danger when they noticed that she has a phone, so she decided to send her a message instead.

MM: Don’t worry Mina, I am safe. Please be safe as well. I love you so much

 

Momo ‘s hands are shaking. These past days are hard for the both of them, being away from each other, not knowing if she’s okay. If only she could take Mina outside that house, but she couldn’t, she’s way too weak and she hates it.

 

++

 

Mina couldn’t think of anyone who could help her but Jin-young, she messaged him asking if he could find a way to sneak her out of the house so she could meet Momo. It was bold of her to ask for that favor but she’s got no cards left on her hands.

She was surprised when Jin-young replied positively.

JY: Okay I’ll help you. But tell me what are your plans, so I can cover for you.

MN: Bring me to the airport tomorrow evening. I will send a message to Momo to meet me there and please book me a flight to Japan. If that isn’t too much to ask. Please. I need this.

JY: You will elope? You’re going to throw everything away for that girl?

MN: I don’t see any reason not to. I love her. Please help me.

JY: I promised that I would help you. So I will. I will be busy tomorrow so I couldn’t personally pick you up at your house, so I will order the personnel to allow you to go outside tomorrow evening for an emergency meeting and take a cab instead.

MN: Thank you so much Jin-young! I owe you a lot.

 

Mina was relieved that Jin-young agreed to help her. She just wished that everything would work out just fine tomorrow. Remembering her plans, she quickly messaged Momo for their rendezvous.

 

MN: Momo, let’s meet at the airport tomorrow evening around nine. We’ll run away to Japan. I will be able to go there tomorrow so don’t worry, I will meet you there for sure.

 

MM: Really? I will pack my things now. See you tomorrow, please be safe.

 

She never knew that the moment where she would willingly follow what her heart desires would happen. Her entire life, she always follows what the plans are for her. She used to be fine with that setup, not until she met Momo. And she’s willing to throw everything she has for the one she truly loves. This time she wants to do something brave and she knows it will all be worth it, because her happiness is at stake in all of this.

 

++

 

It was time for Mina to leave the house. She packed lightly to not catch unwanted suspicion from the guards. She was surprised that they didn’t stop her and she thought that Jin-young really did his assignment. When she was about to exit the gate, the buff bodyguard stopped her, asking if she wanted to be escorted to her office in their private car. She refused. Telling them that it was quicker to ride a cab. Mina didn’t spare any more second as she immediately hailed the cab that passed through the street to avoid any more interrogation.

 

She heaved a heavy sigh upon entering the cab, feeling anxious that they might find her suspicious. She’s trembling, uneasy that this wouldn’t work out but she’s hopeful that it will all be alright once they are able to meet in the airport. A beep from her borrowed phone breaks her from the trail of thoughts.

 

MM: I got the plane tickets and I’m on my way, Mina. See you at the airport! If you got there first, be sure to wait inside and keep warm. I love you.
 

Mina felt her heart warmed with the message. She was about to reply when the driver pulled over and she’s now at the airport entrance. It was really chilly, good thing she wore a thick coat so she can survive waiting in this cold weather. She went ahead inside as Momo instructed her to do. She positioned herself in one of the airport benches, facing the entrance so she could easily find the singer once she got there.

I can’t wait to see you again. Let’s make this happen.

 

++

 

Clutching her huge luggage and electric guitar strapped at her back, Momo heaved a sigh as she went outside her rundown apartment door. It was a cold evening, winter just ended, and spring is just around the corner, yet the wind breeze still sends shivers through her body. Fortunately, she’s covered with thick parka and an expensive red scarf that was insistently bought by Mina to keep her warm. Thinking about the girl makes her heart beat uncontrollably fast. It was hard leaving the place where she made lots of memories, good and bad. But this is for the better. She will bring with her the good ones and will move on from the bad ones. Life is just like that.

Walking leisurely down into the dark alley, she took her phone to send a quick message to the person she’ll be meeting tonight.

MM: I got the plane tickets and I’m on my way, Mina. See you at the airport! If you got there first, be sure to wait inside and keep warm. I love you.

 

She smiled after she sent the short message. The two decided to elope since the world doesn’t want them to be together, Mina’s family in particular, since she’s the daughter of a Myoui, the most powerful family in Korea, while Momo is an underground band guitarist and singer with no fortune.

When she reached the end of the alley, she looked around to see if there were any cabs to ride but when she was about to cross the street, a black sedan suddenly appeared approaching her way quickly and she didn't have time to move or react. In a split second, everything went black.  

 

She couldn’t feel anything, limbs were numb, her vision was hazy, and her head and face were covered with blood. She couldn’t remain conscious, in a moment, her eyes slowly shut closed, but a tear escaped her eyes.

 

++

 

Mina waited for God knows how long, she tried to call Momo many times after the singer’s last message but to no avail, no one’s answering. It was almost midnight and she still couldn’t get a hold of Momo’s whereabouts. Her feet are shaking, waiting anxiously for the girl who isn’t coming.

Suddenly the phone picked up after numerous attempts. Momo.

“Momo, where are you?” She hastily said, feeling her voice cracked with worry.

“Good evening, do you know the owner of this phone?” The unfamiliar man said and Mina felt her chest tightens at this weird turn of event. Why is this man answering Momo’s phone? Where is Momo?

“Y-yes” she uttered.

“I’m a police officer and there was an accident involving the owner of this phone. We are on our way to Seoul General Hospital” the man said and Mina felt all her remaining strengths disappearing in front of her eyes. Her knees felt weak and her hands began to shake at the news that just unfolded.

“W-what do you mean? She’s okay right? Tell me she’s okay!” She was frantic, her voice shaking as she felt her lungs running out of air.

“We cannot confirm that, miss. She's badly injured. The doctor will evaluate her condition soon. Please come to the hospital”

 

Without wasting any second, she immediately hails a cab to go to the mentioned hospital. As she entered the premises, she felt her heart dropped when an ambulance stopped at the emergency room entrance and a wheeled stretcher was pulled out. It was Momo, with blood all over her face and body, she looked lifeless. Her feet dragged her towards her even though the nurses were blocking her way.

“Miss, this is a restricted area, please wait outside” one of the nurses said but Mina couldn’t hear a thing. Her mind has stopped functioning properly with all these incidents.

“Tell me that’s not Momo!” She’s distressed, wanting this to be all a bad dream.

“The police have confirmed that the patient is indeed Ms. Hirai Momo. Please calm down miss, the doctors are now checking her, please wait here.”

“How the hell can I calm down!?” She cried as she felt her knees weaken and she collapsed on the floor feeling her vision becoming hazy. This isn’t real. She fainted.

 

++

 

“Mina? Mina? Are you awake, are you alright?”

Mina feels her body a bit heavy and her head throbbing when she opens her eyes. She’s now on a hospital bed and when her eyes roam around, she sees Sana beside her bed, while behind her is Jeongyeon and Chaeyong.

Then it suddenly sinks in, she passed out last night because of the mix of emotions that she couldn’t get a hold of. Momo was badly hurt. She didn’t even know what happened, or how it happened, it’s just that everything doesn’t add up. It just doesn’t feel right. Everything. They should be flying together now in Japan, leaving alone their worries in Korea. This should not be happening.

“Where’s Momo?” She eagerly asked and Sana swallowed the inexistent lump in throat.

“The doctors said Momo is in critical condition and she will be brought to ICU, she lost a lot of blood and she has head injuries as well” Sana decided to tell Mina the truth even if it would crush her best friend.

Mina couldn’t control the stream of tears that gushed through her eyes, she couldn’t count how many times she had shed tears since yesterday. Why does it have to be Momo?

 

++

 

Days passed and Momo was still unconscious. Mina decided to stay beside her all the time so if she wakes up, she’s the one who Momo will immediately see when she opens her eyes. She’s hopeful that she will wake up soon and they can continue where they left off with their plans of running away and to live far away from her family.

 

Her thoughts were cut off when the door suddenly crashed open and a frantic Nayeon appeared.

“Momo!” She dashed towards the unconscious Momo not minding Mina beside her. She holds her hands trying to wake the singer up.

“Momo, please wake up—”

“Please leave, now!” Mina bravely said. Nayeon doesn’t have a right to appear in front of Momo’s face after all she has done to her. She caused the singer utter pain for a long time. And now, she’s coming back into her life like nothing happened.

Their conversation was cut off when a group entered the room. It was Sana and the squad. Nayeon perked her head to see and she’s sure it was Momo’s band mates paying her a visit.

 

The tensed air that surrounded them dispersed when Momo’s finger moved a bit. Nayeon suddenly paid attention to Momo, including everyone in the room.

Momo opened her eyes slowly, looking blank at the ceiling. Then she took a glance at the girl holding her hands.

“N-Nayeon” she managed to say with her weak voice. Nayeon almost teared up at how Momo managed to say her name with her frail condition. Momo looked around, seeing everyone in the room.

 

“Who are they, Nayeon?”

 

++