05. Remorse

Erased.

 

In a moment, her heart dropped when the door she’s fixated into suddenly opened. Momo came out wearing her red plaid ed shirt. Hurrying to get into her motorbike. Nayeon started the car’s engine, determined to follow the girl where she’s going, she’s been wanting to know what Momo’s been up to lately.

 

++

 

“What’s wrong Nayeon?” Hyun Bin asked while wrapping one of his arms around the girl’s waist while both of them were under the thick blanket. They are inside Hyun Bin’s room, both under the sheet after a steamy . But Nayeon suddenly fell silent after, body was positioned away from the man. Nayeon’s mind has been a mess ever since her last conversation with Momo. She thought, she’ll be fine as long as she had everything she wished for. She thought she could just drop her feelings when she decided to leave the girl but every passing day without the girl is just pure hell.

“I’m going” she hastily said, sitting up from the bed, picking her clothes hurriedly.

“But it’s too early” Hyun Bin retorted, trying to get up from his bed.

“I have something to do, sorry” she said, just done putting her clothes on. And Hyun Bin just stared at her as she walked out of the door.

She doesn’t feel well. And she’s been trying to keep those thoughts deep within her consciousness but every day, it always creeped up her awareness and suddenly she feels sick. She’s sick of everything. And every time she feels this way, only one person will pop up in her mind. Momo. Her heart aches every time she thinks of her. She felt half empty. Driving her car, she unconsciously drove to a familiar street. This place reminds her of her struggles. It reminds her of her innocence, a strong feeling of love that she once lost by choice. She pulled over her car across the street of Momo’s old apartment, staring at the closed door that she once walked out from.

 

++

 

Momo was a bit late to the ballet recital, and it didn't help when the security halted her entrance and looked down on her when she tried to enter because of her get-up. She shouldn’t be surprised that they had tight security measures since the venue is one of the largest performance halls in Asia, also, spectators of this recital were all coming from the richest of society. Why would an underground band vocalist be invited to such a place?

Laying her head low, she was about to give up on entering the hall, ready to turn her back. Then a man on black suit appeared in front of her with a bouquet on his hand and the guards welcomed him warmly. She couldn’t be wrong; it was the same man she saw that approached Mina at school before. Momo felt a gush of jealousy struck her and the eagerness to enter the hall became stronger. She couldn’t let this chance slip on her hand and let insecurities take over her.

Momo knew that what she was about to do was wrong. In a second, she forcefully makes her way into the hall, gate-crashing, bypassing the security personnel while running for her life towards the maze-like hallways. When she lost her pursuers, she took a quick stop and took a very deep breath to ease her uneven breathing. At the very end of the alley, there was a door with a sign saying “Ballet Performance ongoing”. She quietly opened the door and hid at the furthest vacant seat available. Fortunately, Mina hasn’t performed yet. And just right in time, the emcee called on to the next performer which was Mina.

At the first beat of the song, Momo swallowed the inexistent lump on . Mina looked so breathtakingly elegant, like a doll dressed with the finest and most expensive diamonds. Shining amidst the scrutinizing eyes of people and judges. With the initial sway of the younger girl’s arm, Momo forgot how to breathe. Mina’s facial expression says it all, Mina became one with the music at the beat of Swan Lake by Tchaikovsky. The hair at the back of Momo’s neck starts rising at how astounding the ballerina moves her body, how she interprets the song, how beautiful she looks on her white shining tutu. Even the sweat on her neck looked like stardust.

An applaud snapped Momo back to reality. And all she could see was a beaming girl in the middle of the wide stage bowing her head, giving her gratitude to those who appreciated her performance.

 

Mina was the last performer. People started to leave one by one and Momo’s hiding spot was now uncovered and the security personnel were quick to pursue her. She tried her best to swerve direction and to see Mina.

Running towards the door of the performer’s room, Momo saw Mina, talking to the man in suit while handing her the bouquet of expensive flowers. There was a pang of pain that struck her heart seeing Mina beam in happiness while receiving them. She doesn’t even have anything to give to her. She was frozen in her position, a bit close to the two, when the group of security approached her, pulling her away. Momo, disheartened at the sight, didn’t resist. Then a voice saved her from despair.

“Momo?”

The personnel that held Momo released her when a Myoui approached and looked at them with furrowed brows and questioning stares.

Momo was still lost in Mina's voice, the next thing she knew, Mina was holding her arm, dragging her towards her dressing room. She knew Mina was talking the entire time, sounded pissed, but she couldn’t grasp what just happened.

The moment they entered Mina’s dressing room, Momo couldn’t fight the urge to wrap her arms around the girl, tightly pressing her body against the ballerina’s back. Mina, surprised by the act, felt the back of her neck burning hot, feeling Momo’s breath against her skin. The small things Momo does to her can already make her heart melt. Feeling defenseless, she closed her eyes, listening to the loud pounding of her heart. Then a voice stirred her almost calming heart.

“That was beautiful, you’re stunning” Momo said, still catching her breath and Mina lost it after hearing those words. It wasn’t the first time Mina heard someone tell her those words, but it was the first time her heart erratically beats hard hearing compliments.

“I’m glad you liked it” Mina responded under her breath, relishing the moment of bliss.

 

++

 

Nayeon was puzzled that Momo was in such a place, a place for classical performances for opulent families. She is now situated at the café outside the huge performing hall drinking her favorite espresso, blankly staring at the hall’s entrance against the glass window of the cozy coffee shop. Momo never liked classical performances, Momo hates socialites, and Nayeon hated the fact that the Momo she used to know is gradually changing. Changing to a person she couldn’t imagine, and she’s afraid that the more Momo became a different person, the more she couldn’t enter her life again. This isn’t right. She pulled her hair desperately holding back the tears she thought had dried up.

 

++

 

“Where did she go? What did you find out?” Hyunbin asked with a grim voice, he has hired people to follow Nayeon. She’s been suspecting the girl that she’s seeing someone else or she’s hiding something from him. He’s not dumb to not notice when Nayeon’s always spacing out when they were together, or when the girl opts to stay at home rather than spend time with him.

“She went first to a place she used to live. And after that she followed this girl who lives in the said place and now she’s settled in the café near the Performance Hall in Incheon”

He knew something was up with that girl. Nayeon was so fixated on this certain girl and he’s not wrong.

“Investigate everything about that girl”

 

++

 

Maybe Mina became dauntless when she asked Momo to come over to her house after the performance. And her bait worked when she told Momo she has a recording studio in her house. Now, she’s more than nervous when Momo takes her first step inside the Myoui territory. It was the first time she brought someone inside her house. And it’s not just someone, it’s the one who is constantly occupying each and every nook of her brain and heart.

“I couldn’t believe this is where you live every day” Momo uttered as her eyes wandered to the expanse of the hallway, yes, Mina’s house has a hallway. Mina just chuckled in response, still trying so hard to compose herself to not let the nervousness take over her.

They went inside a room, and it was like a paradise for musicians like Momo. The younger girl saw stars in Momo’s eyes and she couldn’t be any happier seeing her overly elated at simple things.

“You can record the songs you composed here, you don’t have to pay for third party studios to do that” Mina suggested as she took one of the headphones to hand it to Momo but was startled at the sudden embrace of the older. Momo can’t help it, she’s too overwhelmed with all the kindness Mina is showing her.

“You’re an angel” Momo blurted while tightening the hug and Mina can’t help but fall deeper for the girl. Unsure if Momo would notice how attached she’d become now.

Momo released Mina from her grasp and Mina immediately missed the contact against her skin. Maybe she’s becoming more and more greedy to Momo’s attention.

 

++

 

The older girl indulged herself in the free use of Myoui’s studio. She made the most out of it and recorded every song she has written and composed all night. Mina was there all the time with her, assisting her on some equipment and giving her sound opinion on the older’s work.

“What do you think about this, Mina?” Momo asked as she pressed the play button. There was no response, as she turned her back to check on the girl, Mina was uncomfortably sleeping on the studio’s couch, her head leaning against the wall.

She approached the girl, watching closely how Mina’s moles are perfectly aligned on her face like a constellation. And when she saw the mole near her lips, her mind began to flash on the memory of their first kiss. Can I kiss you again? Momo thought but immediately brushed it off as she knew it wasn’t right.

She took Mina’s arm around her neck, positioning herself to carry the girl towards her room. Momo isn’t sure how she can set her mind straight when a defenseless Mina is right in front of her. “Momo, you’re better than that” she reminds herself as she walks outside the recording room to find Mina’s bedroom.

It was hard, luckily, at the fifth door, she found a seemingly fit for a girl’s bedroom. Maybe it was Mina’s room, and she was quite confident when she saw her own scarf tied neatly around the penguin stuffed toy situated on the girl’s bed.

She doesn’t want to assume Mina’s feelings. She knows the girl’s feelings already but she isn’t sure to what extent or until when Mina will like her. Maybe it was just a simple infatuation and she doesn’t want to hurt herself when she ends up falling for the girl more than she’s supposed to. The thing is, she already fell.

As she carefully lay the girl on the bed, she tucked her under her blanket and sat beside her, staring at the peaceful features of Mina.

“I’m afraid of our future, if there will be one” Momo whispered, as if she’s talking to herself. They are worlds apart, Momo knew, from the very start, if they continue with this vague connection, one or both could be hurt in the process.

This will be a tough one.

 

++

 

Momo worked her off upon returning to the recording room. Trying to divert her focus to music and stop wandering to a specific person, specifically named Mina. She stayed up all night and didn’t even notice that it was already morning when a knock on the door was heard.

“Did I disturb you?” Mina opened the door and let herself in.

“N-no, of course not, I’m sorry if I barge in your room without your permission last night” Momo stuttered and Mina blushed hard at the statement, knowing Momo had entered her room made her feel the butterflies in her stomach, it’s not that she hates it, more like she’s self-conscious about it.

“I-it’s okay, really, and thanks...”

There was a momentary silence when Mina suddenly suggested something.

“Let’s submit your songs to producers” she excitedly said, trying to be optimistic that Momo can soon grab the chance to have her own name in the music industry.

Delighted by the idea, Momo nods positively.

 

++

Jin-young was about to open her car door as he saw the familiar figure approaching the expanse of the university gate until he realized that Mina’s line of sight is directed to an anonymous person on her ripped jeans and loose shirt beside an old motorbike. He couldn’t ignore the sudden beaming of Mina’s face upon catching the sight of the unknown girl. And it was out of Mina’s character, as far as he knows, to be this close to someone, specifically this one, other than Sana. He isn’t oblivious to the fact that the girl in question is someone out of Mina’s league. He didn’t want to jump into conclusions but when Mina stood close to the girl, he’s sure, Mina’s changed. With the shy gummy smiles she’s displaying and with the way she glances at her, he knew, it isn’t the Mina that he used to know.

He settled still onto the driver’s seat, spectating the two while hiding in the semi-tinted car windshield, observing this new found side of Mina he hadn't seen before. All of a sudden, he felt his heart sink and abruptly looked away. He tries to ignore it, burying the sudden stir of his emotions, and with a clearing of his throat, he restores his resolve. Get it together Jin-Young. That is not part of your plan. He reminded himself as he started his engine just in time when he noticed that Mina and the other girl were already gone in front of her sight.

 

++

Mina tapped Momo’s shoulder repeatedly like throwing her a soft massage to give her a piece of courage and to cheer the girl up. They are now at the waiting area of one of the top music and entertainment companies in South Korea, waiting for their turn to be accommodated by the music critic and producer Mr. Park.

Mina is trying her best to be as optimistic as she could to help Momo gather the courage to face the critic. Momo is sweating and her hands are shaking, feet can't stay still.

“Look at me, Momo, everything will be fine, you’ve done your best, I know if they listened to your compositions, they would see your talent, just hang in there” Mina confidently said in conviction to keep Momo from being jumpy and tense. With a slight sign of serenity, Momo confides to the younger girl’s remarks and gives her a close lipped smile still feeling a bit of anxiety.

Not so long, a girl in formal clothing approached them bringing with her an opened folder to confirm that the person she’s approaching is the same with the one indicated in the piece of paper she’s holding.

“Ms. Hirai?” The lady asked, more like confirming. And she earned a nod from the girl in question for which the woman reciprocated with a welcoming smile.

“This way, please” the woman gestured with her arm slightly raised pointing towards the half frosted glass door where the music producer’s office is situated. With the last gulp, Momo gathered all her remaining courage before pushing the door lever.

She sat in front of the not-so-friendly looking producer and she bowed in intimidation after handing him the USB that contains the MIDI files that she has been working hard on.

“Hirai Momo, huh?” The echo of Mr. Park’s voice sounds menacing to Momo’s ears. The man is so unreadable as he is now on his headphones, eyes closed, as he thoroughly listens to the songs. Momo can’t keep her hands calm as she fidget on her seat, feeling all restless anticipating the impending harsh criticisms.

Her train of thoughts is halted when the producer took off the earphones placing it on top of his laptop. There was an unsettling silence until Mr. Park tapped her table with her fingertips, thinking of what to say.

“I was surprised, really” the producer gave her a satisfied look. “This is an art, each song, i could not even find any flaws in these” he added. And Momo’s eyes widened with the remark.

“But, I have a little concern, you didn’t have any degree in music or any related courses? I am afraid that this is just a one time thing..” the producer added, a bit skeptical of Momo.

“No, I didn’t have a degree but I am really passionate about creating music, I hope you consider my music” Momo pleaded, her hands clasped.

Mr. Park gave her a lighthearted expression. “You have the talent, I guess, having the degree is equally important, but these are really good” he affirmed. “Alright! My secretary will call you for the results, so keep your lines open, you will be hearing from us soon” the producer stood up extending his arms for a handshake and Momo abruptly straightened up and instantly took the arms and firmly shook them. It was a positive feeling, Momo thought, she could not be mistaken that what the producer said is pure praise to her works and she could not believe that she received a compliment from him. Leaving the office, she saw Mina’s expectant face and all she could do was to give her a hopeful smile.

Leaving the building premise, Mina couldn’t stop asking Momo about the encounter with Mr. Park while on their way towards the parking area. Mina is ecstatic and hopeful. “I know you’ll do great at whatever you put your mind to” Mina firmly believes and Momo’s heart was softened with the statement. She hoped that everything will be fine, and as long as the girl beside her is with her, she thought she can always have the courage to take the big step.

“You really have a lot to say, Ms. Myoui” Momo teased, feeling content seeing Mina’s face flushed red in embarrassment. It felt right. This feeling is very pleasant. For the first time since God knows when, Momo is genuinely smiling.

++

 

Looking intently at the documents on his hand, Hyun Bin’s brows furrowed at the information in front of her face. “Hirai Momo, huh?” He scanned through the pile of papers containing all the details and photos associated with the girl. He was displeased when he read that Nayeon and Momo came from the same town and used to be dating. There are also old photos retrieved evidencing the statement. He balled his fist in exasperation, he couldn’t take it in and now that the puzzle is falling into place, it is convincing that that’s the reason why Nayeon is always not in the mood. Regaining his stern composure, he flicked through the pages again. What piqued his interest is when he saw an image of Momo with a not so familiar girl, going outside the well known entertainment company. He displayed a fiendish smirk. Well, let’s make this fair, right Momo?I won’t let myself be the only one to break, let us all fall apart. HyunBin is out of his mind because of Nayeon. It is not new for HyunBin to be buying off girls of his liking, it became his habit. But Nayeon is different. He couldn’t imagine that he would be obsessed with someone, not until he met Nayeon.

Very soon, he dialed a saved number in his mobile phone.

“Hi Mr. Park, How are you?”

“I’m doing great, just a bit busy these days. What made you call this late?” Mr. Park curiously asked.

“Well, remember that you owe me a favor?” There was a gravity in his tone and Mr. Park got the hints. HyunBin will get what he wants.

 

++

 

“How was it?” Mina looked at Momo with observant eyes as the older consumed a mouthful of the most expensive dish in the lavish restaurant they were in. It wasn’t Momo’s idea at all to eat in this place, especially when she looked nothing like on the same level with those around her. But the younger girl insisted that she should try her favorite food which is now in front of her.

Momo made an awful face. And Mina’s expectant look dropped and retreated herself, lying her back to the chair’s backrest, her lips protruding in a sulky pout, feeling quite disappointed. Momo feasted her eyes on this adorable side of Mina, it was new to her, these lighthearted fluttering feelings she has and the comfort that Mina emits when she’s around. It was like a breath of fresh air.

The older girl chuckled at Mina’s action. And Mina showed a confused look.

“Hey, are you making fun of me?” The younger one asked.

“You are so gullible, it makes me want to tease you more” Momo said in between her giggles.

These small actions of Momo aren't left unnoticed by Mina. The look on Momo’s eyes became softer compared to the first time she saw the vocalist. There was a hint of hope in those brown orbs. Momo used to be alone in her own world but now, little by little, the older girl is setting her foot into her not-so-fun but massive world. For Mina, it was a grand move, making her heart full of Momo’s warmth. And everyday, she is falling deeper.

Buzz.

Their calm was broken with the sudden ringing of Momo’s phone. She felt tense seeing who the caller was. It was Mr. Park’s secretary. Her shaky hands immediately pressed the answer button to hear what was about to unfold.

“Good evening, can I speak with Ms. Hirai Momo?” The girl on the other line asked.

“Hi Good evening, yes this is Hirai Momo, speaking” she uttered with her shaky voice.

“I am calling you to inform you that you didn’t pass the screening, Mr. Park felt that you are not suited to be part of the agency. We are sorry, we wish you every opportunity to wish you success in your future career endeavours. Again, thank you for your time.”

Momo was frozen in her seat, as the call ended, her arms felt weak that she almost dropped her phone. He felt her hopes dying little by little. It was hard to take her first huge step towards her dream but it was more devastating that she lost her battle without knowing where and how she lost. That is a hard pill to swallow. It is agonizing, knowing that a single call could break someone’s dream.

It doesn’t have to be spoken, Mina understood the situation by the dropping of Momo’s shoulders showing weakness. She wanted to envelope her into a tight hug and in a moment, she already threw her arms around the singer’s neck like a reflex. She embraced her warmly, patting her palm against the girl’s back, letting her feel she’s not alone and it will all be alright. It breaks her heart more when she hears a snuffle, Momo lets it out, the older one can't suppress the tear that escaped her eyes and now she’s finding solace in Mina’s warmth.

Loss for words, Mina tried to gather herself. Mina isn’t used to console someone or even attempt to comfort anyone. But seeing her dearest Momo falling apart in her watch, words just came out voluntarily.

“I know this won’t be easy, but I believe in you Momo, I know you’ve got what it takes to get through this. It is their loss to not see your gift, someone out there will appreciate your hardwork and talent. This is tough, but you are tougher”

Momo tightened the hug after hearing Mina’s motivation. It is genuine. The younger one pulled gently away from the hug to see Momo’s face. Eyes are red and her cheeks are tear-stained. She wanted to see Momo’s smile, she wanted to be the reason for that, and seeing this kind of Momo, breaking down, it kills her.

“I know this will sound foolish but, I can talk to one of our company’s affiliate entertainment companies, I can influence them to consider you to join their team—”

“No, please” Momo cut Mina’s statement with a serious tone. It suddenly struck Mina that it was really a thoughtless idea. And immediatly felt accountable for her stupid suggestion. Swearing at herself.

“I couldn’t be happier if I succeed on my own raw hard work and not because someone has a connection. I know I talk big, and I am nobody, but I don’t want to play unfair, I don't want to resort to those cheap tactics Mina” Momo firmly said, earning an agreeing nod from Mina.

“I appreciate the offer though…” There was a pause. And she breathed heavily like a sigh of defeat. “Don’t worry Ms. Myoui, I will keep trying, your words, they mean a lot” Momo gave the younger one a weak smile.

 

++

 

Momo isn’t the most optimistic person. Sometimes, one failure can make her give up. But with Mina’s words, she finds assurance that this isn’t the end. It was just the start of her battles to success. She convinced herself that if she worked harder, someone out there would recognize and acknowledge her talent. With these in mind, she’s now seated at the front of Mnet’s music director.

She’s confused that without even listening to her song, the director has this disagreeable look on his face with just the mention of her name. The producer did put on his headphones with a blank face. And just after a few seconds, he paused and looked at her with an unpleasant look. And, like a tormenting echo to her ears, the words that came out from the director’s mouth are like a physical blow to her body. “This is trash” They were harsh, non-empathetic empty comments. She knew he didn’t even listen to her songs. Or that even if he listened, nothing would even change. She felt her body shiver, hands uncontrollably shaking in anger that she couldn’t release. This is unfair.

She swiftly gathered her things and walked out of the room with heavy feet. She wanted to leave as soon as she could as the room felt suffocating for her. She knew that she would appear unprofessional by walking away but she didn’t care. All she wanted to do is to shut herself off from this cruel world where success is like a trip to the moon. Maybe Nayeon’s right, I really belong to the rock bottom.

Mina saw Momo walking rapidly from the building lobby, but as the girl’s silhouette became clearer, she could sense the change in Momo’s spirit. Earlier, the vocalist is optimistic and with little tinge of hope, determined to try again. But now, it looks like she’s at the lowest. Looking glum and dejected, all are evident in her eyes. Mina’s heart sank at this realization. As Momo got closer, she walked past Mina, like she didn’t see her at all. The younger girl was dumbfounded by the act, she couldn’t react at once as she felt the cold air slapped her face with the brisk walking of Momo. But she couldn’t turn a blind eye when she saw Momo’s eyes, lacking spark is an understatement, they are lifeless.

Like an impulse, Mina didn’t spare a second to follow the girl. She felt that the older girl was not acting to her usual self, already devoured in her own negative thoughts. And it breaks her heart seeing the person she admired the most is losing all her resolve to keep going.

She tried her best to keep up with the fast paced walking of the older girl. When she saw Momo was about to grab her helmet, already positioning herself to ride her motorbike, she ran her way towards Momo and hastily clutched onto the older’s jacket trying to stop her. Catching her breath, she managed to speak.

“Please Momo, don’t drive, let’s take a cab” Mina couldn’t stare at Momo's eyes any longer, she’s afraid to see nothingness. She tried to be as calm as she could while wrapping her arms around Momo’s and raising her other arm to hail a cab on the street.

 

++

 

The sky is already painted in blue, the young heiress is now looking up at the blanket of stars that stretched to infinity. Its beauty was clearly reflected in the vast blue sea in front of the two of them, they were standing still, traces of their shoes are the only marks evident at the stretch of the shore. Mina brought Momo here, believing that this will ease the excruciating pain that the older girl is feeling now.

Suddenly, Momo took a step, and another step towards the sea, her shoes getting soaked sinking at the shore’s sand with every step closer to the edge of wavelets. The younger girl stood still, watching the silhouette of the older one’s back giving her space. Every move that Momo makes gives Mina anxiety, like she was walking on eggshells. She’s worried about Momo, that’s why she’s very wary of her own actions until she noticed that Momo’s been walking aimlessly and deeper into the ocean, half of her body already sunk into the water.

In a haste, Mina finds herself instinctively dashing towards Momo, feeling the rush of adrenaline. She’s afraid that one more step, Momo will disappear from her sight. And the older girl took the step. She has been eaten by her own depression. Momo has lost it, feeling like everything has lost its meaning. And she wanted to just fade.

Mina is not ready for that. She was never ready for that. Fear is an understatement to what Mina is feeling right now. Ever since she met Momo, she’s been having this extreme mix of emotions she hasn’t come across before.

Please Momo!. She silently cried as she tried to reach for Momo’s disappearing figure.

“MOMO!”

With a frantic cry, she desperately grabbed Momo’s torso, pulling her away from the ruthless waves. It feels like the time has stopped for Mina, and it felt forever to set their bodies away from the sea. When she managed to lay Momo down on a safe distance from the waters, she knelt sloppily next to the girl she just saved, her chest heaving up and down with heavy breathing, caused by the intensity of her emotions. Both of them are soaked and Momo is staring blankly at the sky with her back against the sand.

“Why did you interrupt me?” Momo blurted, not aware of the severity of her words that could hurt the younger girl. Mina was speechless, the destructive words just resonated into her unsettling mind making her frozen onto her position. Still clouded, Momo continued.

“Who are you to stop me?” She sits up, giving Mina an empty stare. Mina was dazed. Her mind went blank at the spewing venom of Momo’s words. She couldn’t react as soon as Momo stood up. But her instinct didn’t fail her to quickly stand up pulling Momo’s shirt towards her stopping her from her tracks.

“Stop it Momo!” She cried. And the singer jolted, swatting Mina’s hands away from her trying to release from her grasp.

“You don’t understand what I’m going through! You will NEVER understand me because you are a Myoui, you always get what you want! You will never have to go through this endless cycle of despair because your future is already at the palm of your hands! I bet you’re laughing inside at me now on how pitiful and miserable I am, right?!. You—”

Momo couldn’t continue her speech when a heavy slap landed on her cheeks. She felt a sharp pain had struck her skin and it suddenly felt hot on the surface of her face. There was a deafening silence. And Momo’s mind is all over the place. The atmosphere felt heavy and she couldn’t dare to shift her head to meet Mina’s eyes. What just happened?

The younger girl’s face was burning as anger welled up in her chest. She finds herself unable to breathe properly, her chest erratically moving up and down stemming from the pent up frustration she’s trying hard to contain. Her hands felt numb by the contact and is now trembling with the sudden turn of events. It wasn’t her intention to hurt Momo physically in any way, she never imagined herself laying her hand on the older girl. But it happened, her hand acted on its own. And she felt her chest tightens remembering the words that pierced through her soul. She couldn’t believe that Momo, of all people, would say those cruel words to her. Being a Myoui was never her choice to begin with, as a matter of fact, it was a curse to be one. Mina hated everything Momo said to her and the last sentence was the last straw.

Without saying a word, Mina turned her back, clenching her fists holding back the river of tears that were threatening to fall. She was hurt, and it was evident with the hurried steps of her feet wanting to escape the scene as soon as she could so she could cry her heart out alone.

Momo was frozen on her feet. And in a second, she collapsed on her knees regretting her choice of words. She regrets losing herself in the darkness. Her words tasted bitter. She touched her cheeks, feeling the heat of rage that has been transmitted to her. In a heartbeat, she felt empty. When Mina walked away from her sight, it didn't feel right. She wanted to turn back the clock if she could. She wanted to take back what she said. It was her fault that she didn’t taste the words before spitting them out, especially to the only person who has been sticking with her through her lowest times. All these emotions are coming out and she can't control the stream of tears that falls out of her eyes, the back of her palm covering suppressing the sound to come out. I deserve this. Guilt-stricken, she felt closing up, swallowing all the shame. Forgive me, Mina.

 

++

 

A/N: Wow it's been 2 years since I uploaded the last chapter. I missed writing and I hope some of you can still catch up to the last chapter. I'll be updating maybe once a week. But Chapter 6 is done, so maybe I'll upload it within the week as well. :)