Chapter V

The Whisperer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Glossary

 

Jinki sat in the corner of his father’s study playing with Taemin, when the door to the study was opened with a lot of strength, frightening him.

 

“What is going on, Siwon?” Yunho asked.

 

“We had a break in, my lord,” Siwon said in between breaths. “The codex with the reports of children born on the prophesied days was stolen.” he informed, the panic clearly evident in his voice.

 

“What! How can there be theft in a heavily guarded fortress like this?” Yunho spoke enraged, they had worked so hard to keep everyone safe, it just couldn’t blow away like that.

 

“We suspect it was an inside job, or the thief had some help from the inside.”

 

“Please do not tell me Daehyun is behind this.”

 

“I am sorry, my lord. We still haven’t been able to establish any contact with our informers across the border, but I fear it might be true that Daehyun… that the King of Qatem, has the codex.”

 

“Did you send out search patrols?”

 

“Yes, my lord. But…”

 

“What is it? Spit it out!”

 

“I fear it might be of no use. I suspect the codex has been missing for days and the thief might have left undetected.”

 

“How could you let this happen, Siwon?” Yunho fumed.

 

“I have no excuses, my lord. I’ve have been too negligent and trusting.”

 

Yunho groaned, crumpling up the paper he was holding on to. “I want all the castle help to be brought in for questioning now.”

 

“Yes, my lord.”

 

“And send in a scout to all the search parties. Tell them to start bringing in the children and their families to the castle. You remember who those kids are, don’t you?”

 

“Yes, my lord.” Siwon bowed and left in the same hurry he had come in.

 

“What happened, father?” Jinki asked as he and Taemin approached Yunho.

 

“Nothing for you to worry about, my sweet ones.” He hugged his children. “Now, listen to me. I want you both to be on your best behavior and not go around wandering. I want you to always stay with me or either your mother. You understand that?” He called in the guards and asked them to his children to their mother. “I’ll see you both in a bit.” he said as he kissed them.

 

 

When Jinki came to he felt a soft throbbing in the back of his head. His vision and voice were blocked with what felt like cloth, his movements restricted by the ropes tied around his hands and feet. He groaned, squirming around, trying to move, trying to get away. The last he remembered was that he was following his mother and brother back into the castle when he felt a sharp pain in the back of his head.

 

“Oh are you awake, my prince?”

 

He knew that voice, he had heard it in the kitchens whenever he went down to get some sweets for Taemin and himself. He grunted trying to get the man to help him.

 

“Sit tight, my prince and do not make any sound we will reach in a few hours. Who would’ve thought that the King’s son was born on the blood moon? He hid it well, but alas, drawing blood can make anyone speak.”

 

Jinki moved closer to his voice, hoping the man would untie him.

 

“Even though we couldn’t get all the children, you’d make a valued addition to the group.” The man chuckled.

 

Jinki did not understand what the man was saying, but he felt his tears soak his blindfold, realizing he wasn’t going to be getting any help.

 

 

Daehyun struck his wife, Jinhae, across her face, making the woman stumble. “How could you hide it from me? How could you hide that my own son was born on the eclipse?” He shouted, enraged.

 

“I had no other option,” Jinhae said wiping the blood from her cut lip. “You would have killed him. You would have killed our son.” She screamed, tears welling up, pushing her son behind her, acting as a shield.

 

“Do you not know of the prophecy that was told?” Daehyun scoffed. “Do you not how important it is to me? We are so close to winning this war, and if it means I have to kill my own son for that, so be it.” Daehyun gestured the guards to take his son.

 

“He will be put with the other children, I’ll let you meet him till it’s time.”

 

“No! Don’t do this, please. He’s our son, our Jonghyun.” Jinhae sobbed as she saw the guards come closer.

 

“Mother!” Jonghyun screamed when he was forcefully separated from his mother. “Mother!” he shouted again as the guard held him, carrying him away.

 

 

When Jonghyun heard the door of his room opening he completely backed away in the corner, hiding behind the chair, waiting for the soldiers to leave. When he heard the guards leave, he came out of hiding to find another boy standing in front of the door, banging on it, crying. “Who are you?” he asked. He saw the other boy jump up at his voice.

 

“Who are you?” the other boy asked when Jonghyun moved closer.

 

“I am Jonghyun,” Jonghyun said as he climbed up on the bed, he patted the space beside him gesturing the other boy to sit down with him. “Who are you?” he asked again.

 

“I am Jinki.” Jinki said as he sat down beside Jonghyun, wiping his tears.

 

Jonghyun pulled out some sweets from his pocket, offering them to Jinki. “Don’t cry, Jinki.”

 

“What are you doing here?” Jinki asked as he bit into the candy.

 

“Father sent me here.” he said, his lips trembling, “but mother comes by sometimes and she brings me sweets.” he said wiping his eyes.

 

“I miss my mother and father too,” Jinki said. “I want to go back to them.” he sniffled. “How old are you?” he asked.

 

“I am six.” Jonghyun said proudly as he held up six fingers. “You?”

 

“I am seven.” Jinki held up seven fingers so Jonghy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter