Chapter XII

The Whisperer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Glossary

Jonghyun felt the sorrow and the pain slowly permeate his mind, he could hear the faint sobs, a voice asking for help, seeking relief, calling out to anyone, anything, speaking incoherently at times. He woke up with a start, his cheeks and pillow wet; he had been crying.

 

“Hey, hey, you are fine,” Jinki gently whispered to him, his back, trying to calm him down. He had woken up at Jonghyun’s sobs and immediately tried to wake him up from his slumber, trying to wake him up from the stupor his mind was in.

 

“I heard the beast again,” Jonghyun said, distressed, “The closer we get, the more I can hear its voice,” he added, his heart heavy with emotions, pumping faster with each breath.

 

“Everything will dissipate soon,” Jinki promised Jonghyun, “Just bear with it for a while more,” he pulled Jonghyun closer, embracing him in his warmth, hoping that would help calm him down.  “I am so sorry you have to go through this alone,” Jinki whispered into Jonghyun’s hair.

 

When Jonghyun’s breathing had evened out, all his tears dried, he spoke up, resting his head on Jinki’s shoulder, “I always thought I was so affected by the beast because I was afraid of it, but no,  I’ve realized that I do not fear the beast,” his eyes met Jinki’s as he continued, “He is still afar and hurt, but to so resolutely reach out and project his feelings, he really is strong, but,” he paused, searching for the right word, “I feel sympathetic for him; I pity him, the amount of pain he has put himself through over centuries just for what? To rule over this world? The beings of which who fear him so vehemently? The humans who still keep him chained up, letting him hurt himself so that they can thrive from its pain and tears? That is so sad, so pitiful, Jinki.” Jonghyun said as he gently wrapped his arms around Jinki.

 

Jonghyun finally voiced out what the turmoil and chaos in his heart and mind was about. Initially when he had overheard his father talking about the beast and their next expedition to him, he was afraid. However, when he read the texts, learned more about the beast than what was made known, he realized his initial fear was slowly changing. He grew more sympathetic for the beast, pitying him and his situation, feeling sympathy for all the pain the beast was putting himself in.

 

“It indeed is pitiful,” Jinki said a while later, his fingers combing through Jonghyun’s hair, “And we will end its anguish, put him out of his misery soon; no matter how evil, how wrong, no one deserves such a fate.” It was true; indeed the beast was pitiful. The stories he used to hear while growing up were frightening and when he learnt how powerful and strong the beast was, he was intimidated. But listening to Jonghyun, listening to his thoughts, seeing how he viewed things, feeling and learning about the beast through Jonghyun’s perspective made him realize that undeniably the beast was pitiful.


 

Jonghyun smiled at Jinki, “Thank you for understanding,” he said his fingers softly rubbing Jinki’s cheeks, “I thought you might be concerned with how empathetic I felt for the beast.” He thought his view, his perspective of the beast might be contentious, he knew it was and would definitely face some disputes if he ever voiced it front of those affected by the beast. Having Jinki agree with him, with his mind frame, agree with his inherent nature and feelings, made him extremely content.

 

“With my time spent with you, I’ve realized how you feel, how you think, how pure your heart is, how gentle your soul is,” Jinki placed a soft kiss on Jonghyun’s lips, “And I am grateful for that, it makes me appreciate you more, makes me glad that we were meant to be, makes me fall deeper for you.”

 

Jonghyun smiled, “Are you finally confessing to me, Jinki?” Jonghyun chuckled, “Took you awhile, I must say; and from what I heard from Minho, you’ve been in love with me since we were kids,” he looked at Jinki fondly.

 

Jinki kissed the huge smile blossoming on Jonghyun’s face, “I love you Kim Jonghyun, love you more with every breath I take, and even if we weren’t the prophesied ones, I would have found you anyway and still fallen in love with you.”

 

“I love you too, Jinki.” Jonghyun said shyly, shifting, exposing his neck more when he felt Jinki nuzzle against it, leaving small kisses, “Even if it weren’t for the prophecy, I believe we were always meant to be, believed that since the day you were let into that room with me.”

 

 

In the morning they were woken up by one of Changmin’s guards, who led them back to the same room they had been in the night before. This time there was another table laden with food, waiting for them along with Changm

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter