Chapter I

The Whisperer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

It was believed that when this world was created, the gods sent down blessings for the mankind  to look after themselves. They sent down six blessings in total- Aemer, derived from the ancient word for blood, as it reinforced the blessed one’s blood with immense strength.

 

Aldaer, the second blessing that got its origin from the old word for a seedling, as the blessing helped the humans to look after the earth and all the plants and animals it supported.

 

Then came the third blessing, Asfaeyr, dawning for the ancient word for lightning, as the one blessed with it could control the skies.

 

This was followed by Azaer, founded from the word for health, as the one blessed with it could heal the illness that would befall man during their lives on this earth.

 

The next blessing they sent down was Tahaer, originating from the old word that was used for a whisperer, as they could hear the words of gods in times of great need, could hear and feel the intentions of everything in the world.

 

The last blessing the gods sent was Shiraen, derived from the old word for evil. Many believed that this evil blessing was sent down to keep mankind in check, so that they wouldn’t revoke and rebel against the gods.

 

They were also those who were not born with any of these blessings on their soul.

 

It is believed that several years after the dawn of creation, the gods were unhappy with how greedy and selfish mankind had become because of the blessings they received. The gods created a huge demon, blessed with Shiraen to set things straight in the world they had created. The demon was sent to dispose of the greedy kings and their disciples, but the humans fought hard and strong against the demon, a war that was fought for years, leaving thousands dead. The demon was eventually defeated and chained up in a far-away cave, that was hard to travel to because of all the obstacles– a long and complex barren land and a treacherous forest– one had to cross to reach it.

 

Seeing this defeat of the demon the gods had sent, they stopped speaking to mankind, their disappointment in humans very heavy. Eventually, as no one could cross over the barren land to confirm the existence of the demon, the story of the demon became a legend, a myth, a story to told to misbehaving kids, warning them if they didn’t behave they would be sent to the demon.

 

The barren land, starkly divided the world into two- the northern realm, Khaeyr, where mankind lived and the southern realm, Shaerir, that was believed to be sheltering the chained up demon and many other beasts the gods had created. Seeing how dangerous and treacherous it was travel to Shaerir, people were forbidden from crossing over, wandering over, to the other realm if they held their life dear.


 

Over years, the people who were born with the blessing of Shiraen on their souls were shunned, nobody wanting to be sympathetic and sharing with someone who was blessed by nothing but evil and were driven out of Khaeyr.

 

Those who were driven out, united under a very strong leader, Qatem, who lead them to a war against the rest of Khaeyr that was lead by one brave King, Manara. Qatem and Manara fought for their people, for their protection, for their rights, and eventually when Manara saw that there would not be an end to the bloodshed, he compromised with Qatem, offering him some land to live on with the rest who were blessed with Shiraen. This saw the creation of the Kingdom of Manara and Kingdom of Qatem, named after the ones who lead them.

 

Over the years, just like any other king, like any other human, the leaders of Qatem wanted to expand their kingdom, wanted to get back what was taken from them, wanted to go back to the land that was rightfully theirs but had been driven away. Hence a longstanding war began, and since then the two Kingdoms have been at war; one trying to defend itself from the evil, the other adamant on spreading the evil over the world.

 

 

 

 

“Sir! We just got notified that Qatem’s army is on the march.”

 

“Headed where?” Yunho asked as he tidied up his desk and pulled out the map he always kept nearby.

 

“The town of Yaesr. We still do not know about their numbers, but all the men are up and ready.”

 

“The town of Yaeser,” Yunho mumbled, he thumbed the small mark on the map, Sooyoung, he thought, of the whisperer, the priestess of his Kingdom. “Gather all the horses you can find.” Yunho said as he closed the map, “On horseback we will reach it in four or five hours, be prepared to leave in half an-hour.”

 

“Yes, Sir.”

 

---

 

Sooyoung woke up from her fitful sleep, a feeling of dread spread through her heart, something wasn’t right and she couldn’t tell what it was. Being the whisperer, she could feel that the Gods were trying to communicate with her, for the first time ever in centuries and she could not focus; she was away from the castle, away from her temple on a brief visit to her family in Yaesr and she needed the solidarity of her temple to clear her mind.

 

“Sooyoung!”

 

Her brother ran into her room, panting, “The village is under attack!”

 

Her eyes widened, she did not have much time left, she needed to clear her mind as soon as possible to listen to their words. “Gather everyone and leave for the capital, Mysr, His Majesty will grant us sanctuary. I will join you all soo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter