TALK

UNTOUCHABLE (TIAOM)

Katrien felt sleepy after dinner. Kim, Conan, Yam, and Zee took is as a sign that the party's over. However, Katrien had a slight tantrum attack and wouldn't allow Kim to go home yet. In the end, Conan, Yam, and Zee decided to wait outside while Kim waits for the kid to fall asleep in her arms.

"I'm sorry for bothering you so much tonight," said Pie's mom, helping Kim tuck Katrien to bed.

"It's alright ma'am. I want to spend more time with her too. I don't know when I'll be able to see her again."

The older lady sighed. "It's gonna be hard for us tomorrow to explain why you won't be able to visit here for a while."

"It'll just take a few days. I'm sure she'll forget me eventually." That thought made Kim sad. She stood up from the bed. "I guess this is it. I should be going now, ma'am. Thank you for the nice dinner. Please extend my gratitude to Pie as well."

"Uh, Kim?"

"Yes?"

"I know you never expect me to say this… but could you please say goodbye to Pie too before you go?"

Kim noticed that the older lady looked serious. "M-ma'am..."

"It's just that she hasn't been herself since you confirmed that you'd come tonight. I don't know what's happening with her."

Kim looked down and exhaled. Deep inside she wants to talk to Pie too, but she's afraid that it may break all her defenses, causing her more pain.

"Please, Kim?"

Kim couldn't understand why she can't say no to the woman. Maybe because that's what she really wants to happen. She finally nodded. "I will..."

"Thank you. She's in her room, in her old room. I told her to wait there for me while I you outside. I have a feeling that she doesn't want to see you go, like before."

"It's always as equally as hard for me, ma'am."

Pie's mom smiled. "She never let Peter stay in that room. Whenever they visit here, they stay in the guest room instead. I don't know why. But maybe she's trying to preserve some of your memories there."

Kim felt her confidence building up a bit with what she heard. Even so, that didn't stop her from feeling nervous. "I should say my goodbyes to her now, ma'am. I don't want to keep the others waiting outside."

The older woman nodded. Kim left the room after that.

---

Kim has been staring at that familiar door to Pie's room for two minutes now, her heart beating louder with each second passing by. She took another deep breath before finally getting the courage to knock three times.

"Come in..." said Pie from the inside.

Kim's hand on the doorknob is trembling and sweaty. She turned it to open the door, stepped inside, and closed it.

Pie turned around at the sound. "Mom, did they -- oh."

Kim slightly smiled after seeing Pie's shocked face. But deep inside she felt sad too. They weren't like this before. Pie usually run towards her in excitement and jumping onto her for a big hug. Not like this.

"Your mom asked me to say goodbye to you..." said Kim, trying to look calm as much as she could.

"S-she did?" Pie looked more surprised. "I’m sorry. Dunno what's gotten into her."

"Me neither. Wish she could've been like that years ago."

Pie folded her arms and looked away, smiling. Kim scratched her neck, smiling as well at their inside joke.

"So, how are you feeling now?" asked Pie.

"Better. Thanks for the dinner by the way. It was awesome."

"I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for stopping by here tonight."

They were both nodding at each other, silence and awkwardness starting to fill the room.

"I... uh... I haven't thanked you yet for what you did, Kim. Umm --"

"No need to thank me, Pie. It is my duty. I am always happy to help people. You… you know that, right?"

"Right," said Pie, staring intently at Kim, her face unreadable. "Yeah, the same old Kim I knew..."

Kim pressed her lips together, trying her best to avoid Pie's eyes.

Pie looked like a lot is going on her mind. Whatever it is, she finally decided to walk towards Kim. She was about to touch Kim's arm but she hesitated. "Can I?" she asked, motioning her hand.

Kim nodded. Pie held her arm and slightly squeeze it, a thing that she always does before. Kim started wondering now if Pie does this gesture to Peter too.

"I wanted to make sure you're real…" said Pie. "It's harder now than the last time I touched it…"

"Try running for about 10 kilometers while carrying Katie. I'm sure you'll develop muscles too."

Pie eyed Kim for a moment and smiled. She let go of Kim's arm and stepped back away. "I don't know what you did to her, but that kid is so fond of you."

Kim smiled, remembering Katrien's sweetness. "You have an adorable daughter."

"Thank you. Yeah, she really is."

That reminded Kim of something. "Hey. I've been meaning to ask..."

"Hmm?"

"Why did you name her Katrien?"

"Oh. That. Umm." Pie looked down and fiddled with her fingers. "Honestly, I don't know why. I guess I fell in love with the name. You were the one who came up with that, right? That was supposedly for our…" she trailed off.

"Right," said Kim right away, not wanting Pie to finish her sentence. "Don't worry. I think the name suits Katie well. Thank you. It somehow made me feel special."

"Well, you are always special to me, Kim. You know that."

Kim scoffed inside. She shook her head and shrugged.

"You don't believe me, do you?" asked Pie.

"I used to, until I found out that you were married."

Pie took a deep breath in and exhaled. "Kim..."

"No need to explain, Pie. I understand."

"No, you don't understand..."

"Pie, please," said Kim, looking at Pie with sad eyes. "I don't know about you. But this, everything here, it's already hard for me to accept it. So, let's just keep it at that way. I don't know if I could take on another blow."

Getting confused, Pie squinted her eyes. "Why are you talking like you're the only one in pain here? You don't think this is hard for me?"

"Oh, c'mon, Pie. Don't pretend that you're not happy with your life right now --"

"You're the one who left me, Kim. So, don't talk like you're the only victim here."

That triggered something inside Kim. "I left you because you said you liked him. What chance do I stand against that?"

"You had all the chance!" said Pie, flailing her arms out. "You just decided to give up right away..."

"I was hurt, Pie! I was hurt!" retorted Kim, pointing at herself. "What do you expect me to react when you admitted you like him? Be happy?"

Pie bit her lower lip and looked up the ceiling. "If we're just going to argue about this, then we shouldn’t be talking anymore." Pie turned her back on Kim and walked away.

But it's too late for Kim to turn back now. The fire has already been ignited inside her. "You know that you're the only one that mattered to me. You're my only family. Do you really expect me to stay after what you've admitted?"

Pie turned to Kim slightly. "Yes, Kim. Yes..."

Kim couldn't react. She saw seriousness in Pie's face.

Pie sat down the bed, covering her face with her palms. "It was hard for me being far away from you for so long. Even so, I've fought for us. Every year is a battle for me. You just didn't realize it because you were too busy. As for me, I tried my best to understand you because that's how much I love you.

"What happened that night, or should I say a few days before that night, that was my moment of weakness, Kim. You know what happened to my dad. You know how lonely I was. I needed someone to be there for me. He was there and you weren't. Could you blame me for liking him?"

Kim didn't answer, but her eyes are starting to feel warm now. The pain she felt that night is coming back to her all over again.

"Look, I won't deny that it was my fault. I've hurt you, yes. And I regret it up to this day. You didn't deserve to be hurt like that. But after all that had happened, I just wish you were stronger, Kim," said Pie, looking at Kim, sadness evident all over her face. "Maybe you could've been a little stronger for me too, for us, like what I've done. But no, you just decided to give up like nothing mattered anymore… like I didn't matter at all..."

Kim stood on her spot, still speechless and guilty. Pie is right. She gave up on them right away without a fight. But can anyone blame her? If the only person you have ever loved admitted that she's falling for someone else, would you still hold on? Wouldn't letting go of her be the best option?

"Don't you dare talk to me about pain like I've never felt it," said Pie, her voice breaking. "You have no idea how much you broke me when I saw in the news that you're enlisted in the new batch of SAU trainees. It felt like you've thrown everything away that easily. Seven years down the drain just like that." Pie inhaled and exhaled first before turning to Kim again. "Am I really that easy to let go and forget?"

"No. I did not forget you, Pie. Not even once."

"Then why did you leave me...? Why…?"

Kim couldn't control herself anymore when she saw Pie bursting into tears. She finally took control of her limbs, walked over to Pie and knelt in front of her.

"I'm sorry... I'm so sorry, Pie..." Kim tried to hold Pie's hands but the latter fought her, pounding her closed fists into Kim's chest and shoulders.

"Why did you leave me, Kim...? Why did you leave me...?" Pie repeatedly asked, totally breaking down. All the pain she'd kept all these years inside her just flowed out.

Kim tried hugging Pie who's fighting her attempt. But since she's stronger than Pie, she caged the other woman in her arms. Pie's arms were still pounding at her back but Kim stayed still, hugging Pie like it's the last time she'll be able to do it.

"I'm sorry... I'm sorry..." Kim kept on whispering.

There was one last weak pound on Kim's back until Pie finally clutched the shirt with her fist. Kim felt her shoulders getting wet from Pie's tears. She rubbed Pie's back to comfort her.

They stayed still hugging each. Kim kept on saying her sorry until Pie finally calmed down.

Pie slowly pulled back, sniffing, her eyes puffy. "You know what I realized after our break up? That your love was never mine to keep. I know that you love me truly. But as much as I wanted to keep you beside me, your heart is still sailing away, wanting to save the world. I'm the only one who's holding you back from being SAU, right?"

"Pie..."

"Maybe things are really meant to be this way, Kim. For the better. As much as I want us to go back to how we were before, I can't. We can't. You have your obligations. I have a husband and a daughter to take care now."

Kim wiped the tears from Pie's eyes with her thumb. "Do you love him?"

"I wouldn't have married him if I don't. Although it's different compared to what I still feel for you, he completes me at some point. And Katrien, she's the best thing that has ever happened to my life."

"That's... comforting to know..." said Kim, feeling hurt and happy at the same time. "Knowing what you feel is already enough for me. What matters to me is your happiness, Pie. As long as you're happy with your life, I'm at peace."

Pie forced a smile. "Kim, can you promise me two things?"

"Anything."

"Could you please stop acting recklessly during operations? You're always giving me a heart attack."

Kim chuckled.

"It's not funny, Kim." Pie looked serious. She ruffled Kim's hair affectionately, making Kim feel like nothing has changed between them. "Even though we are not together, but knowing that you're just somewhere around the globe, and that there's a chance for us to still meet one day, it puts me at ease. But if you keep being reckless in the field and something happened to you..." Pie paused, swallowing a lump in , "...an Earth without you... that's... that's torture, Kim..."

Kim saw the sincerity in Pie's eyes. She nodded. "Okay. I promise, no more recklessness."

"You've got to keep your word. Otherwise, I'll kill you myself."

"I promise, Honey."

Pie blushed. "I've to admit I missed hearing that."

Kim just smiled. "And what's the other one?"

It took Pie few more seconds before she finally said, "Live a life for me, Kim."

Kim felt something inside her kicked in when she remembered what her dad told her before.

"...live a life for me, okay?"

"Jane told me a lot of things about you," continued Pie, not having an idea what's running on Kim's mind. "She said you're working like a robot."

"How should I live my life then, I don't have anyone..."

"Exactly. You need to go out. Get new friends. Maybe a new girlfriend."

"Wow. Did you just ask me to find another girlfriend?"

Pie sighed. "As much as I don't want the idea of you being in a relationship with another person, I think you need one, Kim. You need someone to take care of you."

"I don't know if that's possible right now, Pie --"

"I know, but at least try, okay?" asked Pie, cupping Kim's cheek. "You're not a soldier robot. I missed seeing you alive like before. Your eyes are so empty right now."

"Yeah, Jane told me the same thing."

"Promise me, Kim."

Kim stared at Pie's face, memorizing every inch of it. She knows it'll be a long time before she can see this woman again. Maybe never again. But right now, all she wanted to do is to savor this moment while it lasts.

"I promise."

"Thank you." With that, Pie pulled Kim closer and kissed her forehead. After that, she hugged Kim to her chest. Kim's arms wrapped around Pie's waist. "Can we stay like this for few more seconds? I missed you so much."

Kim nodded, tightening her hug. "Me too." She closed her eyes and let go of everything.

She knows it's just gonna take few seconds before it ends. Even so, Kim loved the feeling of being lost for a little while in this pure bliss of love and comfort.

Even just for a few seconds, she will cherish this for the rest of her life.

If this moment would mean the end of them, she would love it to end like this. This is a memory worth remembering and looking back to, a memory she can take with her anywhere.

Few more seconds.

Just a few more seconds.

It may not be too much but it'll be enough.

Kim opened her eyes when she heard Pie sobbing again. She pulled back.

"Promise me you won't forget me, Kim..."

Kim melted at that. She held both Pie's hands. "I won't... I could never. I'm not sure how long I'll keep on feeling like this but I've come to the realization that there are some things that aren't really changing, some things that are untouchable, like you..."

Pie couldn't say a word anymore. Her frame is shaking hard along with her sobs.

Kim cupped Pie's face to make the woman look at her. "Hey. Remember this: even if I move on with my life, you'll always have a special place here in my heart. You're just here, untouched, unharmed, safe and sound. And I know that even if I find someone new to love, a part of me will always belong to you."

Pie stared at Kim adoringly, tears kept on flowing down her face.

"Oh, Pie." Kim hugged Pie again. She kissed the other woman's head several times. "In another life... maybe another dimension... if ever we meet again... I swear to you, I will never ever let go of you again..."

"I… I missed you... I've missed you so much..." Pie managed to say in between her sobs.

Kim knew it is time to let go, otherwise she won't be able to hold herself back from kissing Pie or taking her away from there. She pulled back. "I don't know when we'll be able to see each other again. But I hope fate will find a way for us to meet some time. In the meantime, I wish you a happy life, Pie."

Pie just nodded, unable to speak anymore.

Kim kissed Pie in the forehead one last time. After that, she stood up and left the room without looking back. She continued walking, her eyes blurry. She aimed for the front door and went out immediately, mentally saying goodbye to all her memories there.

Pie's mom saw Kim went out. She checked Pie's room, opening the door slowly. She found her daughter curled up on the bed, crying helplessly, reminding her of how Pie was after the breakup.