BIRTHDAY

UNTOUCHABLE (TIAOM)

"Mrs. Mindara. A pleasure to see you here. Your daughter just came by."

Pie's mom bowed to Commander In and Kim. "I was in the room in the other wing, with her husband. I came here when I heard the news."

"Did Pie tell you about it?" asked Commander In.

"No. The assigned nurse in Peter's room told us."

"I see." Commander In looked at Kim and went back to Pie's mom. "I suppose I'll leave you guys to talk for a bit."

Kim wanted to ask Commander In not to leave but she saw the older lady bowed her head. "Thank you, Commander."

When Commander In finally left the room, Kim's head is full of questions as to what Pie's mom motive is. As far as she can remember, this woman never liked her.

"How are you feeling?" asked the older lady, her voice with a hint of concern.

"F-fine. Thanks for asking. How's he?"

"He's recovering. It may take him a bit of time because he's got several fractured ribs. But yes, he's doing fine."

"That's nice to know. And, uh, Katie?"

"She's in our house right now with her nanny. Pie will pick her up later after her shift to visit Peter."

Kim pressed her lips together. Nodding slowly.

"I haven't thanked you yet for what you did," said Pie's mom.

Kim looked at the woman in the eyes and saw sincerity. "There's no need to thank me. It is my duty, ma'am."

"I know. But still, thanks for not giving up on Katie and Peter. I am forever grateful for that." The woman touched Kim's arm with both her hands.

Kim felt something different with that touch. She couldn't speak.

"And I'm sorry..." said the woman, on the verge of crying this time. "I'm so sorry for everything..."

"M-ma'am... please... don't cry..." Seeing Pie's mom cry like that melts down all the anger Kim felt for the older lady before.

"I'm sorry... I'm sorry for hurting you..." said the older lady, wiping her nose. "Pie never cheated on you. It was me who asked Peter to keep calling her that night. I did that because I couldn't bear seeing her sad and missing you all the time. I'm sorry if I hurt you..."

Kim bit her lower lip, trying to compose herself. It doesn't matter to her if Pie's mom had something to do with what happened. What broke her heart that night is when Pie admitted that she likes the doctor.

"Ma'am, it's all in the past now. You don't need to worry about it anymore."

"You still love her, don't you? You wouldn't go that far in saving her child and husband if you didn't."

Kim wanted to say no but she knows the woman can read it all over her face. "Her happiness is my priority, ma'am. I know she's moved on and contented now with her family. As long as she's happy, I'll be able to have a peaceful sleep at night."

The older woman looked down, wiping her tears and nose with the tissue. "She was lifeless for months after your break up. Took her about a year to finally accept things. Peter waited patiently until she came around. That’s the reason she didn’t have second thoughts when he proposed to her even they’ve only dated for a short time. But after all that has happened, I am certain of one thing: she never forgot you."

Kim looked at the door, remembering Pie's expression earlier.

"She may not admit it to me, but I know she has never forgotten you," continued the older woman. "She may be happy with Katie and Peter but that didn't stop her from watching the AEF channel daily for any updates from SAU, from you."

"Ma'am... I... I don't know what to say..."

The older lady smiled. "You don't need to say anything. I just thought you ought to know that. Again, I'm sorry for everything I have done to you."

"You are forgiven, ma'am," said Kim, smiling a little.

"Thank you." The woman smiled warmly at Kim for the first time. "Oh, by the way. It's Katie's birthday in three days. I know you never expect to hear this from me, but you and your troop are invited to come."

"We'd love to, ma'am. But --"

"Katie is expecting all of you to come, especially you. Please don't disappoint her," insisted the older lady. "Peter's still confined here in the hospital by that time so the morning celebration will be here. We're expecting you to join us for a little dinner celebration. Peter's sister already agreed to look for him that night so we're really hoping you'd come."

"Does she know about this?"

"Pie? Yes. Katie's been begging her to invite you to our house since yesterday."

Kim smiled, remembering Katrien's cute face. "Okay, ma'am. I'll talk to the troop about it."

---

"Did you ever imagine before that you'd be buying gifts for your ex-girlfriend's daughter?"

"Shut up, Zee," said Kim, deadpan. She's currently looking at a cute green turtle plush toy. "We've been invited to her birthday party, might as well give her a gift, right? Plus, it's Katie we're talking about. You know how adorable she is."

"Of course, she's adorable. She's the replica of her mom, ayt?" said Zee, nudging Kim. Kim turned to her with a death glare.

"Zee, what the hell is that?" asked Yam who just came back from the other aisle. "Are you seriously giving Katie toy guns?"

"Excuse me, this isn't just toy guns. There's also a toy radio and a retractable toy knife. Any kid will be thrilled to have this," said Zee proudly.

Yam rolled her eyes. "Did it ever occur to you that Katie may not be interested in those?"

"It's worth a try, Yam. Who knows, she may be interested in being part of SAU when she grows up."

"I hope there will be no need for new SAU recruits by that time. Otherwise, it means we failed," said Conan, picking up a cooking set from the shelf. "You think this is good, Yam?"

"Yes, Conan. Far better than what Zee got."

Zee hugged the toy to her chest. "Nothing's wrong with my gift!"

"Will you two stop bickering?" said Kim, turning to them. "If you keep doing that I'm going to think that you two like each other."

Zee and Yam looked away, both blushing. Conan silently chuckled.

"How about you, bud? Happy with that?" asked Conan.

"Yeah, I'm good with this." Kim smiled at the turtle, staring at its big round eyes. "I have a feeling she'll love this. C'mon, let's pay."

While walking to the cashier, Conan walked closer to Kim. "Have you decided on where to go this vacation? You're suspended, right?"

"Yeah. Sadly. But everyone's right. I need it. I just haven't decided where to go yet."

"You're always welcome in my place. I'm sure someone will be thrilled to see you."

Kim smiled. "To be honest, I've kind of missed her too. It's just that there are some distractions."

"Totally understand. Maybe you two need to talk..."

Kim raised an eyebrow. "Talk with Pie, later?"

Conan nodded. "Yeah. You haven't got a real talk after your break up, right? You didn't get the chance too in the hospital. Maybe tonight is the time that you two can sort of catch up..."

"And what am I suppose to expect from this catch-up?"

"I don't know... maybe closure?"

"Is her having her own family not a sign for me to accept that everything is over?"

"Well, it doesn't seem to me, since you're still thinking about her."

Kim exhaled. "I'm not sure if that's gonna happen. I'm not even sure if doing that will help me or put me into more agony."

Conan tapped Kim's shoulder. "Either way, it'll help you move on. It's about time you talk. It's been seven years. A little chat won't do harm."

Kim took another deep breath. "I just hope you're right, Conan."

---

"Captain, are you alright?"

Kim turned to Yam who's sitting beside her at the back seat of the car. Zee and Conan were in front, the latter driving.

"I'm fine, Yam. Just a bit... cold..."

Yam turned to the two people in front. “Zee turn down the AC a bit? Captain's feeling cold."

Zee whipped her head at them. "Feeling cold? Why? Nervous?"

"Have you forgotten that she suffered a minor injury?" asked Yam, annoyed. "Just lower it now, will you?"

"Aye! Aye! You're scarier than Captain!"

Kim just laughed at Yam and Zee. She saw Conan looking at her through the rearview mirror with teasing eyes. Kim just rolled her eyes and looked out the window.

Zee's right. She's nervous. Freaking nervous.

Can't blame her. Katrien's party isn't held in their family house in Jeoswa. The celebration is taking place in Mindara's house, the same place where Kim used to spend her vacations before.

The same place where she and Pie shared a lot of memories together.

She hasn't been around this area for years now. Although a lot has changed, there are still some parts that are still the same. She remembered how she and Pie used to walk in that street before. The tree where they relax for a while. The see-saw where they spent a lot of time chatting.

And... the house.

"We're here," said Conan, pulling over to the side.

"Wow. Looks like a rich family," said Zee, staring up at the 3-story house.

"Her dad was a doctor and Pie's an only child so..." Conan unbuckled her seatbelt. She turned to Yam and Kim at the back. "You two ready?"

The four of them walked over to the house and rang the doorbell. It was Pie who opened the door for them.

"Hi, Conan!" said Pie, looking really pretty in her blue dress. "Hello Zee, Yam... and Kim. I'm glad you guys made it here."

Kim felt her heart beating fast with that short eye-contact with Pie.

"Thank you for inviting us, Ms. Pie," said Yam formally.

"Yeah, it's our pleasure to be here, Ms. Pie!" said Zee lively.

"No need to call me miss. We're about the same age, you know," said Pie, slightly embarrassed. "Come in here now."

As all of them stepped inside, running footsteps descending the stairs were heard. From the hallway, Katrien appeared, wearing a cute blue dress too with a blue headband.

"Kiiim!" said Katrien, running towards Kim and hugging her legs. "You hewe!"

"We're also here, Katie," said Zee, trying to get the kid's attention.

"Move aside, Zee. You're going to scare her again," said Yam, stepping forward. "Happy birthday, baby!"

"Thank you," said Katrien, smiling sweetly while she hugs Kim's leg.

Conan crouched to level the kid's eyes. "Happy birthday, you sweet little thing."

Katrien moved forward to kiss Conan on the cheek and went back to hugging Kim's leg.

"What about me, Katie? Can I get a kiss too?" asked Zee.

Katrien shook her head no and everyone laughed.

Kim, overwhelmed by the kid's cuteness, couldn't help herself. She carried the kid and kissed her temple. "Hmm. You smell nice. How's the birthday girl?"

"I'm fine," said Katrien, busy touching Kim's white polo shirt. "No holes?"

"Haha. Nah. I don't have pockets now, sweetie."

"It's okay." Katrien smiled then turned to her mom. "Mommy, Kim," she said, hugging Kim's neck.

Kim felt her face warming up. She awkwardly looked at Pie, who's got the same expression on her face, and turned back to Katrien. "Your mommy and I already know each other, sweetie..."

"Mmm-mmm. Mommy and I always watch TV to see SAU and Kim..."

Pie looked embarrassed. "Err..."

"Pie, what's for dinner?" asked Conan. "We're excited to get a taste of your cooking!"

Pie recovered and looked at Conan. "Dinner's waiting for us. Let's dig in!"

---

"...happy birthday, dear Katrien... happy birthday to you..."

Everyone in the table clapped after Katrien blew out her candle.

"What's your wish, sweetie?" asked Pie.

Katrien hugged the turtle plush toy gift from Kim against her chest. "Mmm. I wish... I wish daddy can go home soon..."

"Don't worry, sweetie. Daddy's gonna be home in few days and we'll all be together again," said Pie, kissing her daughter's cheek.

Kim looked down at her plate, trying to let go of the jealous feeling that's starting to build up in her chest.

It's weird. She both enjoys and hates being in that place right now. Seeing Pie again after seven long years still gives her this giddy feeling. She missed seeing those smiles. She missed hearing Pie's voice and her laughs. She enjoys watching how Pie moves and interacts with people. Although she noticed that Pie avoids eye contact with her, she still missed the mere presence of this woman near her.

However, the more she stays in this place the more she is reminded that Pie is already happily married to a man and has a kid with him. It hurts to think that she's no longer part of her happiness, unlike before. The longer she stays there, the more she feels Pie being away.

Maybe it's time to accept things now.

Maybe this is the closure Conan was talking about.

Kim knows it deep inside, whatever happened between them in the past, no matter how beautiful it is, it's over.

And it will never happen again.

"...and I also wish that Kim won't cwy anymowe..."

Kim lifted her head after hearing Katrien mention her name. Whatever the kid said didn't register in her brain. But the stares aimed at her right now makes her feel that something's not right.

Pie's mom cleared . "Who's ready for dessert?"