ATTACK

UNTOUCHABLE (TIAOM)

After their first official talk last night, Pie asked Kim out for a friendly dinner date, which Kim agreed to right away.

"I'm still paying for this. End of discussion," said Pie, pointing her finger around the foods on the table. "I feel totally bad for making you feel bad about yourself. It was not my intention. I'm sorry. I know this isn't enough but let me at least make it up to you by treating you to dinner."

Kim knew it's going to be futile to insist. "Fine. But it'll be my treat next time, okay?"

"I'm looking forward to it." Pie separated the chopsticks and went for a meat. "Ooh. Delicious!" She chewed the food down first before saying, "You're an AEF student, right?"

"Mmm-mmm. I'm actually aiming for SAU in the future," said Kim, grabbing a slice of meat for herself as well. "How about you, nursing, right?"

Pie nodded. "It runs in the family. My dad's a doctor."

"Nice. Planning to be one too?"

"Nah. That's not for me. People keep on asking me the same question. But I want to make a point. I want them to know that nurses are equally as important as doctors. Those doctors won't last a day if nurses aren't around."

"Have you told your dad about that?"

"Yeah. And he just laughed at me."

Kim just chuckled, silently thinking how lucky Pie is to still have both of her parents alive.

"I also heard another rumor around here. You're Doctor Buranaphan's daughter?" asked Pie.

"Yeah. You know my dad?"

"He’s quite a legend now, in case you still don’t know. My dad admires your dad so much. Says he's the reason we found a way to kill Evens."

"Which apparently cost him his life," said Kim, sighing. "I was there. I saw it."

Pie put her chopsticks down. "I'm sorry. It must've been hard for you."

"Was. But I've learned to accept it. It took me time but here I am, trying to live a normal life."

"Is that the reason why you're joining AEF and want to be part of SAU?"

"Those monsters killed my family," said Kim, tapping her chopsticks on the table. "I was too young to remember my mom. I grew up seeing dad doing his research. He had that burning desire to create a new world for everyone, something I might've gotten from him. My only focus now is to spend my life protecting people and eradicating Evens from this planet."

"That's really admirable, Kim," said Pie, looking at Kim with a warm expression. "People like you, the ones who are joining AEF, I look up to you highly because you're giving up a part of your life just so other people could live a normal life. I wish I have the courage to be like that, but I'm too scared."

"It's fine. We all have our own calling. Not everybody can be in AEF, same with not everybody can be a nurse, right? I would totally if I'll work in a hospital."

Pie chuckled, her eyes disappearing. "Truth is, my dream is to serve AEF too by working in the headquarters’ hospital. I want to take part in treating those wounded soldiers who tried to save other people."

"That's a noble thing, Pie."

"Yeah, but my mom doesn't like that idea. Ugh." Pie rolled her eyes.

"I guess this is one of the perks of not having any parents, no one can mess with my decision," said Kim, making Pie laugh.

"I was wondering, who took care of you then?"

"I was sort of adopted, not legally, by one of the SAU members who rescued me. Her name's Captain Taliw. Single. No kids. Although I stayed mostly in the orphanage because she's always away due to her duties, she supported me. She pays for my school, buys me stuff, gives me gifts. I guess she's one of the reasons I wanted to be in SAU badly."

Pie stared at Kim, her face full of admiration. "You're an amazing person, has anyone told you that?"

Kim saw the sincerity in Pie's eyes, making her face feel warm. She shifted her eyes to the food instead. "T-thank you. And no, no one has ever told me that."

"It's just that I've lived an easy life, easier compared to yours. You've been through something, something I'm not sure I can survive if I had experienced it myself. But you, you're still here, sitting in front of me, still fighting and going through life. How did you manage to do that?"

"It wasn't easy. But along the way, I realized that I only have two options." Kim raised two fingers and pointed at them. "One is to give up, and the other is to move forward. Either way, you'll still feel pain. But moving forward will at least take you to a different place than where you were before."

Pie looked at Kim for long with a tightlipped smile plastered on her face. "I'm glad I got the chance to share a room with you."

They became closer after that dinner they had. Pie introduced Kim to Jane, her best friend, and Kim introduced Pie to Conan. They started hanging out from time to time. In some evenings, Kim and Pie watch movies together. If not, they just enjoy talking to each other before going to sleep.

Because of that, Kim's feeling for her roommate deepened. It's not just about the lady's beauty, but mainly because of Pie's amazing character. Pie is a kind and understanding person. She doesn't judge right away. At the same time, she's the type of woman who knows what she wants and is in control of her own life -- a trait that Kim really admires.

Despite admitting to herself that she's totally fallen for the girl, Kim has no plans of confessing it. She'd rather have Pie close to her as a friend than lose her completely by admitting her true feelings for her.

---

Kim is staring out of the window, a hand cupping her chin. Her eyes drifting as their vehicle passes by the familiar places she's been to before when she was younger.

"When you said that they became friends, is it more of a friendly type of relationship or are they already sort of flirting with each other?" asked Zee, breaking Kim's reverie.

"It's pure friendship, Zee," answered Conan, tapping Kim's shoulder. "Our dear Captain's contented with their friendship and doesn't have plans of making a move."

"I came to that school to study," said Kim, her eyes still at the window. "I know the consequences of being in SAU. I promised myself not to get into any relationships."

"But how come this chick changed your mind?" asked Zee, glancing at Kim and looking back at the road.

Kim propped her arm against the window and scratched her head. "I don't know. I guess it's hard to be rational when what's at stake is your happiness."

"Awe. That’s cheesy," said Yam after a short squeal. "No one can say no to love when it comes knocking at your door, especially if it's your first time. I totally understand you there, Cap. But how long did you stay as friends before you crossed the line?"

Kim gestured to Conan, telling her to continue the story.

"Was that after a year?" Conan asked Kim, getting no response. "Yeah, they were really good friends that time but something's changed when two pairs of Even destroyed the Retter Barriers and attacked the school."

---

It was Wednesday, past seven in the evening. Kim and Conan were walking towards Dorm A. Their boots stained with mud from the training. Both were thankful that they were wearing black shirts and the mud isn’t that obvious.

They separated ways in the intersection as Conan's room is in the building to the left and Kim's in the building to the right. But before Kim could enter the building, she felt the ground move, as if there was a split-second earthquake.

Kim turned around and saw Conan with the same expression. They both knew it's not something good.

Before Kim and Conan could take another step, a group of people appeared from the corner. They were running.

"EVENS! EVENS ARE ATTACKING!"

This made the other people in their dormitories come out. Panic settled in. People started shouting and running in all directions.

Conan ran towards Kim. "We need to take these students to the Center Sanctuary."

"But we need to calm them down first," said Kim, seeing the chaos around. She walked to the center of the intersection and stood up at the water fountain. "EVERYONE LISTEN TO ME!" she shouted, getting the attention of many. "STOP PANICKING! THE NEAREST SANCTUARY HERE IS JUST BESIDE THE LIBRARY! LET'S GO THERE NOW WITHOUT HURTING EACH OTHER!"

Everyone started running in the direction of the library. Conan and Kim knocked at the doors in the dormitory, making sure everyone is informed. It was after seeing Conan's roommate, Pim, when Kim realized that she hasn't seen Pie yet.

"Maybe she's already gone there ahead of us?" said Conan, guiding other students in the right direction.

"I hope so. But she usually takes a bath during this hour." Kim looked back and forth, feeling more worried now.

"I'm sure she could've heard this noise by now even if she's in the shower."

"Problem is she listens to music when she's in the shower, Nan. And her music is loud when she's bathing."

"Oh my gosh."

There was a loud scream from the students when a creature, appeared from the corner. It was walking fast towards the students.

"Creeeeeee!"

"TO THE ALLEY! MOVE! MOVE!" Conan instructed some students. The shortcut to the Center Sanctuary is a narrow alley made from thick Retter Barriers. It was strategically built to be narrow so Evens won't be able to fit in.

"Conan! I'm going to check our room!"

"Kim! No!" Before Conan could stop her friend, Kim already disappeared in the crowd.

Kim reached the hallway where their room is located. From there, she can already hear the loud music in their bathroom. She entered the room and frantically knocked on the bathroom door.

"Pie! Open the door!"

The music stopped. "Kim? Is that you?"

"Open the door, Pie! Evens are attacking us!"

"What!" The bathroom door opened, revealing Pie who's already in her nightgown.

Kim wanted to admire the scene for a moment but realized that that's not the right time. She grabbed the nearest jacket in her reach, which was her oversized gray hoodie, and gave it to Pie. "Wear this. We need to go to the Central Sanctuary now."

Pie obeyed and wore the jacket as fast as she could. Then she felt the ground move. "What was that?"

"One of them is here," whispered Kim. She held Pie's hand. "We could hide here for a bit but I'm sure it already knows we're here."

"C-can they go through the wall?"

"It may take a bit of time, but they can break it, especially if they are sure that they have preys inside. We need to get out of here." Kim opened the door slowly but Pie pulled her back.

"Kim..."

Kim turned and saw Pie trembling. "What's the matter?"

"I… I'm... scared..."

Kim almost forgot that Pie had never experienced an attack before. Pie was lucky enough to grow up in a village surrounded by the army. Aside from the massive amount of Retter Barriers installed in the area, any sign of threats is immediately stopped by the army.

"Hey. No need to worry. You're with me," Kim encouraged, trying to hide the tremble in her voice as she's as nervous as Pie right now.

"But they can kill us, right?" Pie hugged Kim's arm this time, almost crying now.

"Hey. Hey. Look at me," said Kim, searching for Pie's eyes. "You're going to be safe, okay? As long as you're with me, you're untouchable. I promise you that."

Kim meant what she said. Because if it goes to the worst-case scenario, knowing that an Even will stop hunting once it captures one prey, Kim is willing to sacrifice herself to make sure Pie is safe. She can do it with no hesitation because Pie is one of the few people in her life whom she knows cared for her truly.

Sensing the sincerity in Kim's voice, Pie slowly nodded. "Just please don't let go of my hand..."

Kim doesn't know what's gotten into her. She held Pie's face with her hand and kissed the girl's temple. Pie reacted by snuggling closer to Kim.

"Let's go," said Kim, finally opening the door.