CHALLENGES

UNTOUCHABLE (TIAOM)

"We're here, Cap," said Zee, pulling the vehicle over to the entrance. She picked up the radio and pressed a button. "We've arrived at the entrance of Jeoswa village now. I repeat, we've arrived at the entrance of Jeoswa village now."

"Gear up, guys. Take one booster now. Let's make this quick," said Kim, injecting a booster in her vein.

The troop went out of the vehicle with complete gear suits, a small camera was attached to each helmet. They all looked at the empty village which seems like a ghost town now. The wind blew.

"It looks like rain's coming any minute now," said Kim, looking up. "Let's hurry. Focus on retrieving the target first then we’ll shed to the nearest Sanctuary until the rain stops."

"Roger, Captain!" said the Yam, Zee, and Conan.

"Let's go."

The troop went in the outer barrier, then the second level of barrier, passing by the third level of barrier. The street looks messy, a proof that there was an attack that happened.

There was a sudden flash of bright light in the sky, making them dodge for whatever it is they thought was coming. But then, a loud sound of thunder followed.

"You're right, Cap. This ain't good," said Zee. "It looks like a hard rain."

"Do you guys remember the one we experienced in Brazil before when we were new recruits? I was raining hard that time too, right?" asked Yam.

"I barely remember the specifics of that," said Conan, looking around. "But I never want to experience that again. It was a nightmare."

"Same here," said Zee. "I only remember some parts, but not all of it. How about you, Cap?"

"I wish I could forget that," said Kim, leading the way. "But sadly, in my condition, there are lots of things I wish to forget a long time ago that I still remember vividly."

---

Kim was awoken by the loud sound of the thunder outside. She felt panic for a moment until she realized that she's in their room and Pie's body is laying on top of her, .

Kim smiled. This has been one of Pie's favorite sleeping position, and she's doing it unconsciously.

Kim traced a finger along Pie's arm, admiring the beauty of the girl. Making love with Pie has been her continuing addiction ever since they started dating two years ago. Kim loves the feeling of how Pie willingly submits herself to her. It gives Kim this sense of pride that no matter what happens in a day, no matter whoever they meet, every inch of Pie still belongs to her.

The rain soon followed the thunder. Not wanting to wake up her girlfriend, Kim slowly reached out for the blanket and covered Pie's body.

"I love you," she whispered, kissing her girlfriend's forehead.

Pie instinctively tightened her hug on Kim as she settles herself comfortably on top of Kim's body. Kim just smiled and hugged her girlfriend again.

Oh, how she loves rains.

---

It was around 06:00 PM that time, Kim and Pie were preparing to go out for dinner, when the former's phone rang. She picked it up.

"Hello? Yes, this is her. Yes." There was a long silence after that. "What!" Kim stepped out of the room right away without closing the door.

Noticing that, Pie followed Kim with her eyes and saw the latter just standing outside the room, one hand or her waist. After a little while, Kim went back in, her voice cracking.

"O-okay... T-thank you for telling me..." Kim sat on the bed like she's lost.

Pie came closer. "What's the matter?"

"H-herd attack," said Kim, her eyes empty.

"Herd what?"

"Herd attack, that’s when a large number of Evens attack all at once…"

Pie didn’t know what it meant. She waited for Kim to talk again.

"S-she's gone, Pie..."

"Who?"

Kim rubbed her eyes harshly, preventing tears from falling. "There was an operation in Kenya. They found a colony. The troop couldn't handle the number of Evens. They..." Kim pressed her lips together, tears falling on her lap.

"C-Captain Taliw? Oh, my gosh!" Pie knelt on the bed, encircling her arms around Kim's neck. "I'm so sorry, Honey..."

"She's the only family I've got," said Kim, sniffing. "Those Evens killed every bit of my family. I swear I'm going to ing kill them all..."

Pie hooked her chin on Kim's shoulder, tightening her hug.

"Why does it have to be me, Pie? Why do I keep losing the people I love?"

"Hey, I'm still here. You still got me. I'm not going anywhere."

"You would still leave me, wouldn't you?"

"Kim, I'm not leaving your side unless you tell me to."

Kim was silent for a while. "You better keep your word, or else I don't know anymore what life really means for me..."

"Don't worry," said Pie, brushing her fingers through Kim's hair. "The only time we'll break up is if you decide to leave me."

---

"My tuition fee was shouldered by the government because of that. I've got no family left so they thought they could support me as what Captain Taliw did."

Kim’s voice echoed in the Control Room. Pie's mom finally returned and sat back beside her daughter.

"That's really nice. But where do you go during vacations?" asked Yam.

"At my ex's place. She wouldn't allow me to go anywhere. Plus, I don't have anywhere to go to."

"What about her folks then? Do they approve?" asked Zee.

"Her dad's just fine with it. Maybe he'd rather see his 19-year old daughter date a woman rather than a boy who could impregnate her. But her mom, she doesn't really like me. She's always giving me the cold shoulder, or ignoring me, every time I visit during vacation."

Pie's mom folded her arms. "Any mother would want their daughters to have a normal relationship."

"Mom." Pie turned to the older woman, eyeing her.

"What's the matter, Pie? Don't tell me you'd rather see Katie date someone... someone like her in the future...?"

"Mom, I don't care whomever Katie dates as long as they love each other."

"Nonsense." Pie's mom rolled her eyes.

"Damn homophobes. They always think they are perfect," said Zee, irritated. "How did you handle your monster-in-law then?"

Pie's mom cleared .

"Well, ex is the type of girl who knows what she wants and decides for herself," said Kim, making Pie smile. "As for our relationship, she keeps reminding me that it's just me and her who matters and that I shouldn't let myself be affected by her mom who's being quite difficult towards me."

"You told her that?" asked Pie's mom, annoyed.

"Yes, I did, because that's the truth," said Pie. "She is being nice by saying you were difficult. You were actually mean to her, you know."

"Why are you still defending her? Don't tell me you still like her?"

"That's not the point, mom. The point is, she's going in there to save your granddaughter. She deserves to have some respect from us, especially from you. What happened in the past doesn't matter now. It was over a long time ago. Why can't you move on from that?"

The older lady stared at her daughter. "Simple. Because I don't see that you are moving on."

"What? Mom, I'm a married person now. Stop making issues."

"I will, only if you stop watching the AEF channel daily for updates on SAU operations."

Pie bit her lip and looked away, irritation obvious on her face.

"Awe. She's really sweet, Cap," Yam's voice echoed this time.

"Yes, Yam. What they had, that was beautiful. To tell you the truth, I felt sad too when I found out that they broke up," said Conan.

"Same here," whispered Jane, making sure it's only Pie who could hear her. "I still feel sad now thinking that what you two had is just part of the past now. Just like Conan said, it was really beautiful."

Pie looked at her friend eagerly. "I know. But maybe things aren't supposed to be that way for us." She turned back to the screen. "She wouldn't be one of SAUs assets right now if we're still together."