DISTANCE

UNTOUCHABLE (TIAOM)

Troop C kept walking in the empty street, whispering into each other through their mouthpiece.

"After graduation, where were you assigned, Cap?" asked Zee.

"I was assigned here for a year. But after that, I got transferred to the northern base camp."

"That's far from here," said Yam. "Was that the reason you broke up?"

"Not really. We were in a long-distance set up for three years. And I visit here whenever I get vacations."

"You must've missed each other a lot that time. I know the feeling," said Conan.

Kim smiled. "You have no idea"

---

"Hey, baby..."

"Kiiim!!! Oh, my gosh. I missed hearing your voice!"

"I missed hearing your voice too. How are you?"

"Doing great because my baby is going home next week."

"Haha. Me too! I can't wait to see you."

"You have no idea how much I'm missing you now, Kim."

"Awe. I'm sorry if I was busy lately."

"Totally cool. I understand that my girlfriend's got a world to save."

"But I promise that next week, until the rest of my vacation, it'll be just you and me."

"Awe... I love you! I love you! I loooove you!!!"

"Haha! Oh, I love you more, Pie."

It was their first time being apart for that long. After eleven months of not seeing Pie, barely talking on the phone due to schedule conflict between their works, Kim was more than eager now to see her girlfriend. She told Pie she was going home next week when in fact, she was going home today. Pie's dad helped in surprising by making sure Pie stays in her room that day. Kim arrived at the house silently, greeted by Pie's dad warmly. Pie's mom, as usual, just ignored her. But Kim didn't mind. What's important is she's gonna see Pie any second now.

Kim knocked on the door three times.

"Come in," said Pie from the inside.

Kim smiled, and slowly turned the knob to open the door, smelling Pie's scent in the room. She felt it, any second now, she knows she'll be able to hug and hold her girlfriend again.

Pie was just lazily lying on her bed, her back facing the door. When she heard the door shut, she turned around to look at the person who entered her room. Her eyes widened.

"Oh my gosh!"

"Surprise."

"Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! Eeeeeeee!" Pie stood up immediately, quickly ran to Kim and jumped into her arms.

Kim caught the girl flying towards her. Her back knocked on the door due to the impact. She laughed.

"Oh my gosh! I thought... I thought you were..."

"That's why it's called a surprise, Pie."

Pie pulled back and gripped Kim's left arm. Sliding her hand down a bit and squeezing Kim's arm.

"What are you doing?" asked Kim.

"I'm just making sure this isn't imagination. Your arm is getting firm, huh?"

"Lot of workouts in the base camp."

"Do you even eat?"

"Of course. That's something we're forced to do there, Pie. Don't worry."

"Are there any girls flirting with you there?"

"We're all about killing Evens in there. No flirting or whatever."

"You better be, or else --"

Unable to control herself, Kim pulled Pie closer, crashing their lips into an affectionate kiss. It was a kiss of longing -- hard and passionate. Pie cupped Kim's cheeks, edging her closer.

Getting carried away, Kim turned their bodies around so Pie would be leaning on the door. Kim's hands went underneath Pie's shirt and caressed the latter's stomach and back. Her hand finally found the hook at the back and unclasped Pie's bra.

"Kids, lunch is ready," said Pie's dad from outside the door. Kim and Pie broke the kiss right away.

Pie pressed her lips together before answering, "Thanks, dad. We're going down in a bit. Kim's just fixing... some of her stuff..."

"Cool. See you two in a few."

After the footsteps faded, Kim and Pie laughed at each other.

"Well, that was intense," said Pie, fixing Kim's collar.

"Was I able to relay to you how much I missed you?"

"Oh. You surely did. Could you please hook my bra back? We can't keep mom and dad waiting."

"Sure." Kim wrapped her arms around Pie's body and kissed the latter while hooking the bra. She pulled back. "Done now, princess."

Pie smiled and kissed Kim one more time. "C'mon. Let's have lunch for now. You can take off my bra later."

---

"You know, we could fit in your sofa if we keep on sleeping like this."

Pie playfully slapped Kim's face. She's adjusted her position on top of Kim and brought her face into the latter's neck. "I just want to feel you close all the time. You're going to be leaving soon anyway."

"You worry too much," said Kim, chuckling. "I just got here this morning. We still have the whole month to be together."

"Yeah. But you're still leaving..." Pie is tracing her fingers on Kim's arm.

Kim felt the sadness in Pie's voice. She doesn't want to leave either but she's got duties as well. "Pie, you know --"

"I know it's your duty, and that's what you've always aimed for. I just never thought it'll be this hard for me to be away from you. I miss you all the time."

"It's hard for me too."

"Don't mind me," said Pie, looking up at Kim and smiling a little. "As much as I hate you going away, I'm also proud that you're a part of AEF now, helping the people to clean up the world. That's one of the reasons I liked you before because you're so selfless."

"But you hate it at the same time?"

"Yeah, weird right?" asked Pie, making Kim laugh. "Kim, can I ask you a favor?"

"Sure, anything."

"I know that your goal was to always get into SAU, right? I'm just worried..."

"About?"

"You see, SAUs are the first line of defense from Evens. They have the most dangerous jobs in the world. Apart from that, unlike AEFs, they have irregular vacation leaves due to lack of people. One of the SAU member dad knew didn't get a vacation for like two years."

Knowing where the conversation is going to, Kim smiled. "So, you don't want me to sign up for SAU?"

Pie looked down and run her fingers on Kim's collarbone this time. She nodded. "It's already hard for me being away from you for so long. And if you get into SAU, then something happens... I don't know... I think I'll go crazy…"

Kim felt the seriousness in Pie's voice. "Okay. Then I'll stay in AEF."

Pie's face lit up. "Y-you sure? I don't want it to seem like I'm trying to hinder you from your dreams. But I'm just worried..."

"I know. I know," said Kim, caressing Pie's back. "I understand, okay? Being in AEF isn't bad. I still help in saving the world, right? Besides, I don't want my girlfriend worrying all the time."

"Thank you." Pie leaned closer to kiss Kim. It's soft and gentle but full of affection.

They stayed still for seconds until Kim kissed back, increasing the intensity. She wrapped her arms around Pie's waist and turned around to switch their positions, with Pie lying on the bed now and Kim on top of her.

The kiss grew deeper and Kim's hands were all over her girlfriend's body. Their bodies are grinding together, moving in rhythm in every sensation.

That night they made love like there's no tomorrow.

---

"Since I started my relationship with Hongyok, I finally understood what Captain went through before, long distance relationship is really hard," said Conan, chuckling. "Vacation is always heaven but departure is hell, especially when it's nearing. I remember, Honey used to cry before all the time?"

Kim nodded. "Yup, every single time. The first time I was assigned to another HQ wasn't that big deal because it's just near. However, the second time I left was harder. I was assigned to Hishii."

"Wow. That’s too far from here. Did she go with you to the airport, Cap?" asked Zee.

"I couldn't let her come with me, " said Kim, sighing, remembering how it felt before. "She'll just be crying and it'll be both harder for us."

---

"Everything's set?" asked Pie's dad, holding the cab door with one hand and leaning forward to check on Kim inside.

"Yes, sir. Thank you for having me this whole month," said Kim.

"As long as you keep my daughter happy, I would be glad to have you here over and over again."

Kim smiled in response. Then her eyes checked the window on Pie's room to see if the latter could be looking out.

"She'll be okay," said Pie's dad, knowing what Kim is thinking. "She's just sad right now but she'll come around. Just call her once you've landed."

"I will. Thank you again, sir."

"Anytime. Be safe, kiddo. See you around!" The dad closed the cab door and Kim took off to the airport.

Kim's waiting in the boarding area for more than an hour now. She clasped her hands together, remembering what it felt like to touch and hold Pie. She's missing every inch of Pie now; her lips, her smile, her scent, her voice, everything. It's going to be another three to six months before she gets to see Pie again.

She's now starting to wonder how long they are gonna endure this kind of set up. Will Pie be able to hold on? She can’t imagine now what her life will be without Pie.

Kim stood up after hearing the announcement for the boarding of her flight. She stood in line for the tickets. As she was nearing the attendants, she noticed a girl in a familiar blouse, running and stopping at the entrance of the boarding area. The girl was panting.

It was Pie.

Kim swore she wanted to jump out from there and just hug the girl. However, Pie's assuring smile made Kim feel that everything's gonna be okay.

Pie placed her hand on her chest, over her heart, and tapped it lightly three times.

Kim knew what it meant. She nodded and smiled at Pie. She mouthed, "I love you."

Pie mouthed back, "I love you too."

Kim gave one last smile before handing her boarding pass to the attendant, promising herself to be back in Pie's arms as soon as she can.