Ahn Yujin

The Broken Hearts' Club
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
   

“A-ARE you really serious about this? This isn’t time to be joking.”

Yujin’s mother can’t help but to be surprised at the sudden decision of her daughter. She suddenly asked for a time to talk which made it feel like she’s opening up something really serious. It was indeed serious. A very crucial decision.

“After everything that I’ve done?” The lady took a deep breath and looked at her daughter whose head was hanging low. She couldn’t even look straight to her mother’s face. “Everything is already processed, Yujin. You are already enrolled and now what? It is Seoul University that we are talking about here! You know how many people are hoping to get into that school!”

Yujin straightened her back, preparing to give her mum an answer but the lady isn’t over yet.

“Are you seriously giving up your spot? You even got the scholarship and your dormitory is already settled! Why are you telling me that you want to go to another school at the last minute!? And of all schools—that school!?”

“I…I’m sorry, Omma but I—“

“But what? Is it because of your Minjoo-unnie again? You can’t follow Minjoo anywhere she goes! Yujin, you are not her guardian!”

Yujin looked at her mum for the first time during the conversation and she saw the great disappointment written all over the lady’s face. She has been working so hard for Yujin’s enrollment anyway. She got a high enough score to get to the university of dreams and her parents are very proud of that achievement but here she is, telling her mother that she is giving everything up just for one person.

“But Omma… You know that Minjoo-unnie is not stable yet—“

“I understand that you are the only one that Minjoo is opening up to. I also understand that it is hard for her to adjust to her new surroundings but Yujin, this is your future that we are talking about here!”

“But Omma… If I don’t attend that school and watch over Minjoo-unnie then she might lock herself from the world again.” Yujin answered, which brought more disappointment to her mother. Nevertheless, she continued explaining her decision that she has been contemplating even before she took CSAT.

“Minjoo-unnie’s parents are happy that she is finally opening up to someone. They told me how relieved they were after seeing that she’s going out with a friend like me. I believe it would help her a lot to recover from the scars that she received.” Yujin clenched her fists, that time that was the truth that she wanted to believe.

“Minjoo-unnie needs me. I believe I can get her out of that wall completely.”

Yujin’s mother fell quiet. She couldn’t believe that she’s hearing these things from her daughter who has been pursuing Seoul University even before she got into highschool. She was constantly talking about her goals but now everything changed just because of one person.

The lady dropped herself back to her seat, massaging her head, trying to think of the best possible way to change the mind of her daughter.

“You are aware of what your father will tell you after he hears this, am I right?”

Yujin gulped. She could already imagine the disgust and disappointment that would cover her father’s face the moment he hears the news. Her mother’s voice that was trailing off of hope didn’t help at all.

“Please help me explain everything to Appa—“

“Ahn Yujin…” Yujin was silenced by the heavy sigh of her mum but there’s no way they could change her mind. Her decision is final. She would attend the same school as her favourite unnie and would make sure that she would not be hurt by anyone anymore.

“I am sor—“

“You are not sorry so don’t even dare to say that word.” Her mum took a sip of the green tea that she prepared to somehow calm herself down. “You didn’t even think about your family. You didn’t even think about us. All that’s in your mind is Minjoo. Tell me that you’re sorry if you really mean it.”

Yujin’s heart broke. This isn’t what she was meaning to do. It wasn’t her intention to disappoint them but her heart is strongly leading her to another way she couldn't help it.

“Omma—“

“You are only thinking so much of someone when you barely even know her. She was just showing you that you are special to her and now you are more than willing to give up everything just for her? Now she’s more important than your own parents? Than your own dreams!?”

“Omma, please listen to me—“

“I’ve listened to you, Yujin. I listened to everything that you said but this time you should listen to me…”

Yujin took a deep breath. She hung her head down and listened to everything that her mother said.

“If you still want to go to the same school as Minjoo then go. Choose your own path. But remember this, you won’t be receiving any financial support from us aside from the first semester’s enrollment fee. Work on it for yourself...

 

…Don’t expect anything from us.”

 

 

 

 

YUJIN is looking at the paper bag that she’s holding in her hand so dearly. She couldn’t help but to smile just by looking at it. Her heart raced inside her chest and couldn’t even get the excitement down.

She bought a new phone. She bought it using the money that she earned from the part-time job that she does after school. She bought something using the money that she should be saving for her studies but that something isn’t for her.

“Yujin-ah!”

The girl immediately turned to the person that called her and a huge smile curved up off her lips.

“Minjoo-unnie!”

The said girl was also smiling at Yujin and the latter is already happy just seeing that smile. It makes her feel giddy. It makes her glad. Knowing that Minjoo is happy fills all the guilt that she has been locking deep inside.

Minjoo immediately clung to her arm. “You came here early, Yujin-ah. Did class end early today?”

Yujin smirked. “Those who manage to finish the program will be released from the class even if the class is not over yet. Guess who finished the earliest.”

Cute snickers were then heard from the other girl. “Your smug face is really something, Yujinie.” She patted the younger girl’s head and showered her with praise. “You are such a brilliant kid!”

Yujin tried to hide her smile. Being praised by Minjoo really brings warmth to her heart. The two are now on their way to eat lunch. With Minjoo being a transfer student, she’s an irregular and does not belong to a certain class, she doesn’t have any close friend other than Yujin. At the very least, that was what Yujin believed.

Although she belongs to a fixed class and is constantly being invited by her classmates to eat lunch with them, she would rather choose to wait for Minjoo to finish her class and eat together.

Today’s menu is meatball spaghetti. Looks like it is Yujin’s lucky day since her favourite menu came out. Minjoo knows it well so she asked the server to give more spaghetti to Yujin’s plate. The two ate happily together just like usual and Yujin is so content with just this.

“It is my vacant day tomorrow, Minjoo-unnie.” Yujin reminded her while they were letting time pass at the soccer field while watching random people play. “Make sure you eat your lunch even though I am not there to eat with you.”

Minjoo snickered. “It’s just too lonely to eat without you.”

Yujin blushed and she’s aware of it. She immediately hid her face with her phone by pretending she’s texting someone. “Just eat…” Her attention was then caught by the paper bag that she specially prepared for this day. She heard herself curse inside her head since she almost forgot about it.

“Anyway, Minjoo-unnie… Here.” Yujin casually handed the bag to Minjoo and went back to her phone even though she’s sneaking a peek to see Minjoo’s reaction.

“What is—“ Minjoo’s eyes widened when she took out what’s inside. It was a box but not a simple one—it is a phone box. “Yujin this is—“

“You broke your phone last time, right? I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter