Bear and Hugs

Take It Slow

I posted this on twitter, too, with pics of Sungjin.


 

You keep running as the cold wind kisses your face. You just had a competition yesterday, yet you're here, training again as if you didn't win first place.

On the way back to your house, you see a familiar figure from the distance. He looks different now, but you're sure it's him.

He shaved his head.

You frown a little. You love that hair. His hair. Especially when he run a hand through it. You miss it already. But your heart and feet, as if in sync, stop the moment you see his face when he turns around to hug his mother. He looks so damn fine.

You let a shaky breath out--maybe because of what you suddenly feel, heart beating wildly, or maybe it's just because of the cold.

Your left foot steps back but your mind holds your other foot in place before it decides to move back, too.

Why did you think of turning back? That's a coward thing to do. You bite your lip as you plug your earphones on and continue your run. As if focus on your steps, you pretend not to see his head turn to follow your figure.

After passing by three houses, you dash towards the door of your house with no delay.

He's back. You pant as you take your insulated jacket off. You walk towards the kitchen when there's a sudden knock on the door.

You groan and roll your eyes.

Is Dowoon expecting a visitor today? You eye the staircase before exhaling a sharp breath and drag your feet towards the door.

“Hi,” the visitor beams.

Your throat goes dry but you manage to respond.

“Sungjin,” your chest tightens. You moisten your lips and take a gulp. “You're here.”

He nods. At the back of his mind, he's asking why you seem unfamiliar. Maybe because he was expecting you to be all smiles, bright and excited when you see him, but he doesn't see any hint of glee radiating from your face.

“I think Dowoon is still asleep. Want me to wake him up?”

His eyebrows twist and your heart is about to melt. You miss seeing his countenance, his expressions that you can't give names to.

“Uhh, no.” His tongue traces his lower lip. “May I come in?”

As your grip tightens on the knob, you open the door wider so he can slide in.

He has his back facing you when you turn around after closing the door. He s his insulated jacket and takes it off. You stare at his back and suddenly have the urge to hug him.

His back seems to be the kind that will sap every ounce of tiredness that you feel once you rest yourself on it. It is wide that it draws someone to wrap one's self around him. So it's practically not your fault for feeling that way, right? It's his back's fault for being so inviting.

The first time you feel that urge was three years ago. It was during summer break and they were playing ball. He was wearing a blue flannel shirt over a white tee. He was sweating a lot that he decided to take the flannel shirt off, his back facing you, and combed his hair up using his hand. Despite the sweat, he still looked fresh.

Ever since that time, you've been vocal about how much you like his back and how much you want to hug him. His face would always plaster an expression that you couldn't explain.

The only difference now is there's no soft hair for him to run his hand through, and that he's still wearing a hoodie after taking off the insulated jacket.

When he turns to look at you, he catches your eyes darted on his back. He smirks at himself, thinking he still has an effect on you.

You stride towards the kitchen and brew some coffee as he keep throwing questions at you. You keep answering them and he can't help but still feel like a stranger because of your graceless responses.

You pour him a cup and added a teaspoon of honey--how he wants it--before you slide it towards him. He utters his thanks and put a drink on the counter.

It's a yellow box with a bear design. Banana milk.

You stare at it as images flash in your head.

You used to always carry two of it around. One for you and one for him.

 

“Look at this,” you nudged him and he looked at what you're pointing at.

“Hm? A bear?”

“Yeah,” you grinned. “It's you,” you chuckled and his eyebrows twisted. “What are bears like?”

“Scary?”

You laughed aloud. “Well, there's that,” you looked at him and studied his face. “You do look scary and intimidating. But not to me.” You took another sip from your drink before taking another look at the bear. “Cuddly.”

He glared at you before raising his both hands and formed claws. “Rawr,” he leaned a bit towards you.

Clutching at your stomach, you laughed again. Tears were forming at the edge of your eyes from laughing hard. “Are you trying to be scary or cute?”

He furrowed his forehead as you look at him with so much adoration and stretched your arms as if asking for a hug. He curbed a smug before he stretched an arm, not to hug you but to smudge his palm on your face playfully.

 

It's a cute memory, you think, but you blink the thought away. “Thanks,” you say with no soul and you notice how he lets out a heavy breath.

You take the drink and open the fridge to store it. He is about to open his mouth to ask what happened, why everything seems off, when someone suddenly knocks on the door.

“I'll get it,” he offers.

You just nod and you start hearing footsteps going down the staircase. Your brother is probably awake now.

“Hiiiii,” an unfamiliar voice greets in a prolonged way.

Your forehead creases when he closes the door instead of letting whoever is outside in.

“Who's that?” you query as you start leaving the kitchen.

“No one,” he states. “Let's go back to the kitchen.”

You stop on your tracks when you hear three voices singing We Wish You A Merry Christmas. Your forehead folds. Who would sing a Christmas carol when spring is about to come?

“Trick or treat!” a voice shouts. It's a different voice with the one who said ‘hi’ earlier.

You want to let out a giggle. It's both Christmas and Halloween in February, huh?

“Don't open that,” Sungjin demands when you pace closer to the door.

As if you didn't hear him, you reach out for the knob and open it. Three young men, arms on each other's shoulders, with wide smiles welcome your vision. The tallest, also the skinniest, with black hair and streak of burgundy at the right end. Another black haired in the middle, sharp eyes and thin lips. Pink haired guy, looking cute while pouting at the other end.

“Hiiii,” the one in the middle flashes his white teeth. “We're Sungjin's friends.”

You glance at the buzz-cut fellow over your shoulder, his face cast down, letting out an exasperated sigh, and Dowoon arrives at the last step of the stairs.

You look back to the unexpected visitors and plaster an apologetic smile. They must be cold.

“Come in.”

“No,” Sungjin states in a low voice.

You shot him a glare and open the door wide. Your brother looks at them, confused.

“That's my twin brother, Dowoon,” you tell them. “We're Sungjin's childhood friends.”

“I'm Jae,” says the tallest with much energy and takes a step and offers his hand for a shake. “The most marvelous among our friends.”

You are about to shake his hand but Sungjin takes it and put it down. You almost jumped in surprise. He held you. Your eyes linger on his fingers wrapping your wrist.

“Why are you here?” Sungjin asks with a hint of annoyance.

“We have nowhere to go,” sharp-eyes dude mutters. “Our families are not in Korea, remember? Hi, I'm Younghyun!” He tiptoes for you to see him behind Jae who's towering between the both of you.

“He's Brian,”Jae whispers.

“I'm Wonpil,” exclaims the last person who's at the back of Younghyun. "How about you, what's your name?"

“You're not staying at my home. You guys go back to the dorm.” Sungjin tries to shift the topic, not wanting them to know your name.

Dowoon shouts it instead. Everyone's head turn to look at the owner of the low voice that just spoke. "You guys can stay here, if you want," he adds and you just want to throw anything at him.

“Dowoon!”

“Dowoon, no,” Sungjin also disagrees but your brother just shrugs.

“Hey, thanks, man!” Jae walks towards him and gives him a brotherly hug.

Younghyun also exclaims his gratitude before going straight to the kitchen. “You got food here, dude?” He opens the refrigerator. “Oh, banana milk!”

Your head flips towards him. Sungjin's, too.

“Brian!” Sungjin shouts and your shoulders drop.

Younghyun looks at him innocently as he sips on the drink--the drink that Sungjin gave you just few minutes ago.

You heave a surrendering sigh before you massage your temple. Sungjin exhales a sharp breath, too, as he rests his hands on his waist.

“Do you play any game?” Jae asks Dowoon, his arm around your brother's shoulder.

“Do you play instruments?” Wonpil butts in.

“I play games and drums,” and with that, they disappear into their own little world. Younghyun also joins them.

Sungjin bites his lip and faces you. “I'm sorry about my friends.”

“It's okay,” you glance at the four guys, who are now sitting on the couch. You give Sungjin a small smile. “At least Dowoon has some people to talk to.”

He nods and beams at you but that smile doesn't even reach his eyes. You stare at each other for a good few seconds before you break the eye contact to glance at the loud young men, who are making themselves at home.

It's gonna be a long night, you think as you motion Sungjin to join the guys but he follows you to the kitchen instead.

 


Thoughts? Comment and vote? <3

Scream at me on twitter: @kohiiby or cc: daelisix