Epilogue

Take It Slow

Did not proofread. Man, I need to restrain myself from crying while writing this. I am so attached to this fic. I hate myself. Why did I make this. Loljk. Anyway, bye Sungbear! I'm gonna miss you :((


Sungjin’s eyes pierces on you as you tuck a strand of hair behind your ear. He’s been watching you discuss things with the other engineers as you hold the blueprint. He smiles as he eyes the hard hat on your head. He once thought about it--you being an architect. But he never really thought that that day would come.

It was you who planted the seed in him--the one who lit the fire of passion to build things. When you’d talk about your drawings and ideas, the fire that he used to see in your eyes would make the little flame in his heart ablaze. That’s where his dream to become an engineer started. It has always been you who’d pull him out of his comfort zone.

Despite being three years younger, you were the one who’d always protect him and made him feel safe. When he was seven, he wouldn’t go out of the house because he was afraid of the barking dogs. But you would always go to their place to drag him out of their house. The dogs would always stop woofing when you’re around. You’d even pet them. No matter what you do with them, Sungjin would always feel safe when you’re around.

You were also the first one who made him feel that he’s a man, even when he was just a boy then. Children would always that he’s a girl because of that one time that his mom made him wear twintails. It was really cute though. He was also being teased because he liked flowers. He used to love playing around the flower field. But it was you who’d always come to his rescue telling everyone how manly he was.

You were the reason why he wanted to be a man because he wanted to protect you and not the other way around. When other children started to make fun of you, when he saw you crying as you ran, he wanted nothing else other than to be the one to make you feel safe like how you’d always make him feel.

At a very young age, he knew he liked you in a different way--not the kind of like that he feels for Dowoon or his cousins--the kind of like that even when you were still young, he didn’t want to let go of your hand. But when you started expressing that you like him the same way, he felt so disappointed. Not by you, but by himself. Every time you’d do something, the irritated expression that would etch on his face wasn’t because he didn’t like you, it was because he kept on getting mad at himself because he was supposed to be the one doing those things to you--bringing food, waiting after class to go home together, doing the comforting; basically everything that a pursuer does to the person they like and want to pursue. But all of those expressions were misunderstood by you, thinking he didn't like you.

Also, at a very young age, Sungjin’s eyes were opened to see the reality. He saw how the broken relationship of your parents have caused damage on you. He saw his aunts and uncles hurt each other. He saw how other people destroy each other. No, he doesn’t want that to happen to both of you. No, he doesn’t want to lose you. He was in a rush to be a man to protect you but seeing these people rushing things made him realize you also need to take things slow in life.

Slowly but surely. He stopped trying to rush things and lessened his speed; he reflected and learned. When he saw you rushing life like how he used to, he became anxious. He saw how tired you looked like, how the colors you used to give off have turned to gray. When he told you six years ago about this take it slow and all, he wasn’t just telling it to you, he was also reminding himself. He’s been enduring things for several years, he has come far, he shouldn’t mess it up just because he let his walls down for a moment, should he?

When he saw you slid that wedding envelope on the table with Jaebeom’s name carved on it, he couldn’t function for a minute. You saw how his shoulders dropped and felt how heavy his breath was when he let it out after you pulled your hand away. He was extremely relieved, no, it’s an understatement, maybe there’s no exact word to convey how relieved he was when he saw that it wasn’t your name next to Jaebeom’s.

He clearly remembers how he told you “No Jaebeom,” when he was about to leave Busan again. He was scared with Jaebeom being with you, not knowing exactly what the other guy felt for you. But he believed in what you both have--it may haven’t even started but he knew it will, and it won’t end after it starts. And he might not want to admit it, but he’s somehow grateful that Jaebeom was there for you. At least you had someone to rely on when you’re having a hard time. And now that the other guy is getting married soon, he know there’s no need to worry about him anymore. You made it clear, too, but not after you about it first. Jaebeom’s really special for you and you love him, too. You love him because he's like an older brother you never had.

 

 

You slowly flip your head towards him and raise a brow, pulling his consciousness back to reality. “Excuse me, Engineer Park, I need your full attention while at work.”

He smirks and pace towards you, “You always have it, Ms. Architect, full and more.”

You raise your brow again in challenge but it isn’t that long when you plaster a smile. The other engineers clear their throats while some tease.

As an architect, one must be creative and artistic. For an architect is in charge of the aesthetic and whatnots; the one who oversees the spatial functions and environment relationship and impact; the starter of the plan and the visionaries.

Sungjin smiles as he thinks how much you fit the role. He, on the other hand, the engineer, is responsible for the technical and logical stuff; he’s all equation, formulas, solutions, and conclusions; he visualizes the approach, analyzes the materials, executes the plan.

You both have these traits even when you were still a child. It was always Sungjin who knew what to do. Even when it comes to the both of you. You have this dream to be with him until the end, but it was Sungjin who had the logic how to make it work.


 

“Did you regret it? Letting me go, taking things slow?” He asked you one time. It was a random question while you were having coffee together.

You beamed at him, “No. If we pushed through it, I might have self-destruct and I might have brought you along with my self-destruction. I might have constantly acted stubborn and insecure.” You took a deep breath. “It worked, right? It was only my dream to be with you, but you really made it happened. The moment I realized I needed to pace down, it was already the start for me. And thank you for building us. The six years we spent apart from each other, it was the foundation you’ve built in this relationship. We just started dating officially, but it felt like we’ve been dating for a while now. And I know, it won’t end. We may struggle and fight, but it’s still gonna be us until the end. I’m not saying this out of mere emotions. I’m saying this because we built a very strong foundation.”

“It wasn’t just me who built us, it’s both of us.”

“I just dreamt of it. But thanks to you, Engineer Park, that this strong relationship has been established. Architects don’t build. If it was me who built us, we might not be together now. If I built us during the time that I was pursuing you, maybe five years after it we’re not together anymore, and we might have left big scars on each other. But because it was you who built us, I followed the Engineer’s words, after six years, we’ve finally become together.”

“Engineers don’t build alone, though. Engineers need their architects to build things. Still, it’s not just me. It’s us who built us."

 

“Are you ready for tomorrow?” you ask him over dinner.

“Yeah,” he stuffs rice in his mouth, “I’d even probably be more handsome than JB.”

You chuckle. “He’s the groom. Can you please at least give him that? It’s his big day tomorrow.”

He shrugs as he takes a bite of kimchi. “I’m just saying the truth though. Do you find him more handsome than me?”

You teasingly narrow your eyes and he softly chortles, eye wrinkles showing. “Alright, alright. Just for tomorrow, though.” He leans to plant a kiss on the side of your head.
 

 

Jaebeom’s wedding isn’t that grand. He’s a simple man and he loves privacy. It’s just a small garden wedding during the golden hour. Sungjin shakes hands with Jaebeom during the reception.

“So you finally met in the middle?” JB queries with a wide smile but a serious gaze.

Sungjin mirrors his stare before nodding. “We’re now walking together.”
 

 

“Do you want to go to our place?” Sungjin brushes his hair up as he continues to drive. He’s supposed to drop you to your apartment now that the wedding is over.

“Busan? Right now?”

He just glances at you and looks back at the road.

“Aren’t you tired, though? You’ll drive for four hours? Do you want to take the train express instead?”

“I can manage. You rest first. I’ll wake you up when we arrive there.”

You don’t like sleeping during the car ride when it’s just the two of you. He can die out of boredom and worse, he might get sleepy. But when he reassures you and insists once again to take a nap, you oblige.
 

 

You wake up feeling the vibration from your purse. Sungjin’s car is parked at the side of the road and the dome light is switched on but Sungjin is nowhere to be found.

You knit your eyebrows as you fish your phone out of your purse. The vibration earlier was caused by a text message from him asking you to come over to your secret place when you wake up.

You softly groan. He didn’t even bother waking his girlfriend up and ditched her at the side of the road instead and it’s late at night. You shake your head and softly let a breath out before going out of the car.

When you arrive at the place, there’s no single human form that can be seen. You exhale a sharp sigh. What is Sungjin thinking? You mutter to yourself as you turn around to walk towards the bench but you stop right away.

A familiar cap is lying on the seat. THAT ‘GROW TOGETHER’ TYPE LOVE. You furrow your forehead. How did this cap end up here? I’m pretty sure it’s in my apartment. You march towards it and pick the cap. A familiar bracelet says hi. There are two charms hanging on it--only that the other one is not a charm but a ring.

“Grow together with me?” A raspy voice sends shiver down your spine.

You instantly flip your head towards its owner and your eyes start to water. You let out a shaky chuckle and punch his chest playfully when he steps closer.

He takes the cap from you and put it on your head.

“I thought we’re taking it slow? We haven’t even reached 100 days yet.”

He smugs. He’s acting all tough and cool but you realize he’s nervous when you feel his cold and sweaty fingers when they brush on yours as he takes the bracelet from your grip.

“Don’t you think we’ve taken things slow enough? We’ve waited long enough. And as you said, we have a strong foundation. We’re walking together now, are we? Then, let’s grow together.”

The teasing tears finally fall. You softly slam your fist on his chest again. He just chuckles which tickles your ears, and gently takes your hand. He slowly spread it open and slides the ring on your finger.

“Let’s grow together.”

You look up at him with tear-kissed face. You sniff and nod. “Let’s grow together.”

He beams as he locks you in his arms and pulls you in a long warm kiss.

Life isn’t a marathon. It’s a game or a sport; but not a marathon. It’s a sport you need to know how to play. And you think you played it well because you just got your prize.


I don't know about you guys but I am so emotional about this chapter. Maybe also because Sungbear's idea of love here. The Take It Slow and stuff. And maybe I'm so attached with this fic because of that. I also hope, if not all nor most, some of you have learned something in this fic, too. Fudge, I don't know. I just feel so emotional that I'm crying while typing this. LOL.

ANYWAY, if you are a PH Myday, I have an on going JaePil Filo (SocMed) au in twitter! It's pinned on my profile @kohiiby
Also kudos and comments? Or cc perhaps? CRY WITH ME? FUDGE I DON'T WANT TO END THIS. BUT BYE. THANKS GUYS. THANK YOU FOR BEING PATIENT WITH ME, FOR PATIENTLY WAITING FOR EVERY CHAPTER. I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! ;-;