SIX

Back to you

It was Saturday - which meant Sunggyu was finally able to take a break from his busy life in the corporate world. But the main reason he was feeling excited for that day was because he had made plans with Woohyun for brunch. 

“I know a good place,” Woohyun had said on the phone on Thursday, “We should go, I’m pretty sure you haven’t tried it since it opened when you were in the States.” 

Sunggyu agreed because he didn’t have plans and because, of course, he wanted to see Woohyun too. Woohyun also mentioned he wanted to see Sunggyu’s place, and that made the elder a little restless because he knew that Woohyun hated mess. And his apartment right now is the exact definition of a mess. 

Sunggyu was busy shoving his unopened moving boxes to the corner of his apartment when the door bell rang. He muttered a curse but hopped to open the door, revealing Woohyun in his white shirt and navy jeans. 

“Hi,” Woohyun grinned.

Sunggyu smiled, a little nervous because Woohyun always had that kind of effect on him although he hated to admit it, “Hi,” 

Woohyun chuckled and pecked the elder’s lips, “Can I come in?” 

Sunggyu nodded silently and opened the door wider so Woohyun could step into his apartment. As expected, Woohyun’s first expression was a frown on his forehead. 

“Okay, before you say anything, I just moved in, so I haven’t had the time to unpack all these stuffs,” Sunggyu said defensively. 

Woohyun rolled his eyes, “You moved in like 2 weeks ago,” 

“Still-“

Woohyun glared at Sunggyu and the other sighed, “Fine, I’ll unpack everything once we get back from brunch.” 

Woohyun grinned and ruffled the elder’s hair, “I’ll help you,” he said, “Let’s go eat.” 

The brunch place was amazing, like how Woohyun had hyped it up to Sunggyu the other day and Sunggyu wasn’t disappointed. They went back to Sunggyu’s apartment right after, planning to unpack all of Sunggyu’s boxes. 

“Can I nap for a while?” Sunggyu pleaded lazily once the two of them were inside of his place, “Please?” 

Woohyun wanted to tell him that he needed to unpack but he himself was suffering from food coma from the heavy brunch they just ate, so he nodded with a small smile, “I’m gonna nap with you.” 

It was almost 6 PM when they woke up. Sunggyu wouldn’t have woken up if it wasn’t because of the loud buzzing noise from his phone. He grunted and sloppily reached for his phone on the table next to him before squinting his eyes as he tried to read the caller ID on the screen. 

“Who is it?” Woohyun asked, his voice hoarse, as he inched towards the other male and hugged his torso. 

Sunggyu didn’t reply but he had a frown as he stared at his screen, “Sorry, it’s one of my friends,” he said and hopped off the bed, “I need to take it outside.” 

Woohyun was then left alone on the bed, confused, as he felt Sunggyu’s warmth slipped away from him. It would be a lie if he said that it made his heart sank slightly. After all, he never knew anything about Sunggyu’s life for the past three years. He decided to hop off the bed too to get changed, and Sunggyu entered the room back not long after that. Before the elder could say anything, Woohyun quietly went out of the room and headed the kitchen.  

Sunggyu sighed, “Woohyun,” he followed the younger, “What’s wrong?” 

He stood behind Woohyun who was staring at the almost empty fridge, figuring out what to make for their dinner. When Woohyun didn’t reply, Sunggyu inched closer and gave him a hug from behind, “Woohyun?” he nuzzled the younger’s neck.

Woohyun closed the fridge and turned around, facing the elder. He felt like a little stupid then, getting upset for something so trivial.

“Nothing,” he forced a smile and shifted the conversation, “What do you want to eat? Your fridge doesn’t have anything,” 

Sunggyu pursed his lips and frowned, “We’re not going anywhere unless you tell me what’s wrong,” 

Woohyun sighed and pecked his lips, “I told you it’s alright,” 

“What is?” 

Woohyun shifted his gaze towards the floor and spoke softly, “You taking the call outside,” 

Sunggyu cupped the younger’s face gently and gave Woohyun a brief kiss on his plump lips, “I’m sorry,” 

Woohyun shook his head, “No, I was just being-“

“Jealous?” Sunggyu smirked playfully and that earned him a punch on his shoulders. 

He winced and Woohyun pouted, “You’re annoying,” 

Sunggyu laughed anyways and pulled Woohyun closer to his body, “It was Howon,” he explained, “He was my roommate back there,” 

Woohyun didn’t say anything, but just nodded once. 

“He’s coming here to visit in a week, he was just letting me know, that’s all.” Sunggyu said, waiting for a more reactive response from Woohyun but all he got was a another nod. 

Sunggyu didn’t want to push it further, so he thought that it’d be better to let it go for now. Maybe when Woohyun’s cooled down a bit, he can really ask what’s bothering the younger. 

The two opted to have pizza delivered and Woohyun decided to unpack Sunggyu’s books from his moving boxes while the elder placed their order through the phone. Once he was off the call, Sunggyu sat next to Woohyun who was now wiping off the dust sticking on the books and copied what the latter was doing. Usually, Sunggyu would appreciate the silence, but this time, it was itching him. So, he his speaker and played Nell’s music. 

Woohyun couldn’t help but abruptly stop his motions. Sunggyu looked at him before asking carefully, “Did I do anything wrong… again?”

“N-no, why would you think that?” Woohyun retorted, forcing another smile. 

Sunggyu raised both of his eyebrows, “Well, because you just suddenly stopped wiping the books when I the music,” he said as a matter of factly. 

Woohyun sighed and resumed the cleaning, “Everything feels a little different,” 

Sunggyu raised his brows, “Different?” 

The younger nodded, “It’s like I want to believe that you are the same person; you look just the same, your place is still messy and you still listen to Nell, but it just feels different,” he said, keeping his gaze fixated on the book he was wiping. 

Sunggyu just nodded before he quietly said, “Well, it’s been three years after all.” 

Woohyun didn’t respond. The space was filled with only with Sunggyu’s playlist while the two were busy in their thoughts, until the doorbell rang. Sunggyu stood up to get his delivery and set down the pizza box on the kitchen counter. 

He grabbed two slices and wrapped them in a paper towel, feeling a little sorry for Woohyun that he hadn’t took out any of his plates or utensils out of his moving box. 

“Let’s take a break Woohyun,” he said.

Woohyun grabbed one of the pizza slices and bit into it. He leaned against the kitchen counter next to Sunggyu. 

“What do you want to know about?” Sunggyu asked between his munches. Woohyun shifted his gaze towards the elder, asking him to elaborate. “You said it feels different, what is it that’s bothering you?” 

“I just want to know if you’ll ever leave like that again,” Woohyun answered with a hint of sadness in his voice, “And thinking about the past three years when I was with Hana made me realize that you probably had a lot going on in your life while you were in the States too.”

Sunggyu let out a dry chuckle, “If you want to know about my love life, you could’ve just said so,” he teased, “Don’t worry, I’m used to you being nosy.” 

Woohyun looked down, feeling his face slightly heat up, “That’s not what I meant,” he muttered.

The elder stepped closer and nudged his elbow with Woohyun’s, “I’m sorry for leaving you like that again,” 

“I know, it wasn’t your fault,” Woohyun said as he took another slice from the box, “We made that decision.” 

“Woohyun-“

“Shh, don’t start,” Woohyun cut him and shrugged his shoulders, “You had to leave and we agreed to end all of this,”

 



a/n: idk if anyone's still here but I was feeling a little nostalgic so I came back to this...