Prequel 3

Back to you

Summer 2016 - 5 years before Sunggyu's big move

 

The weather that day was more humid than ever, which made Sunggyu groaned in annoyance. Woohyun who was beside him could only chuckle as they loaded the elder’s music equipments into his van. 

“Is this all of it?” Woohyun leaned against the side of the vehicle and crossed his arms in front of him. He was also dripping with sweat while regretting wearing a black shirt on this day. 

Sunggyu nodded with satisfaction after checking his stuffs once again, “We should be ready to go.” 

Woohyun closed the back of the trunk as Sunggyu said his goodbyes to his mom and sister. He had been relocated to the company’s headquarters in Seoul and with the amount of stuffs he hoarded, there was no way he could do the move by himself. 

And that was why he summoned Nam Woohyun. He asked if Woohyun could help him with the move and Woohyun immediately agreed. They hadn’t been in touch for a couple of years since Woohyun got a job in Seoul. There were never any strings attached anyways. After high school, their relationship in college consisted of staying over at each other’s dorm and pretending nothing happened the next day. The two, however, were always aware of the other’s whereabouts, thanks to social media (and perhaps a little bit of stalking). 

Sunggyu had been itching for that promotion so he could be relocated to Seoul. “I’m excited to experience the city life!” he would say to his friends. But inside, he knew that Woohyun was a big part to why he was looking forward to moving. 

“Woohyun-ah, please take care of Sunggyu!” Sunggyu’s mom said as he watched the two boys, earning a “Don’t worry” from Woohyun and his sweet smile.

“Oh, they will definitely take care of each other,” Jieun raised her eyebrows sneakily and she earned a glare from her brother. 

Sunggyu proceeded to the driver’s side of the van but Woohyun stopped him, “Don’t worry hyung, I’ll drive,” he said and took over the driver’s seat. 

Sunggyu wasn’t left with any choice, so he proceeded to the other side of the van. Once the two were inside, the air became a little thicker. 

“Thanks for helping me out,” Sunggyu said, watching Woohyun set the navigation up.

“Of course,” Woohyun gave him a simple smile. 

The car ride was filled with silence until they entered the freeway and Sunggyu said, “We can switch up if you’re tired,”

“Don’t worry hyung,” the younger said, keeping his eyes on the road, “It won’t take more than 2 hours. You can sleep too.” 

Sunggyu chuckled, “Hm, I don’t know if I trust you that much,” 

Woohyun rolled his eyes but laughed along anyway. To say that he missed Sunggyu was an understatement. But of course, he never expressed that - it wasn’t a part of the game the two were playing. 

“How have you been, Hyun?” 

Woohyun felt his body warmed up when he heard Sunggyu’s nickname for him. His mind wandered if they were going to continue this relationship, or whatever they want to call it, once the elder settled in Seoul. 

“Not too bad,” Woohyun finally answered, “yourself?” 

“Pretty good,” Sunggyu said, “I’m excited to move, you should show me around when you have time,” 

Woohyun chuckled, “It’s been over two years since we last saw each other, but are you flirting with me right now, Kim Sunggyu?” 

Sunggyu kept his gaze forward with a smile gracing on his lips, feeling a little shy that Woohyun just straight up blurted that out, “Well, that’s open to your interpretation.”

Woohyun glanced at Sunggyu before letting out another chuckle in response. 

The journey to Seoul was smooth until they had to find Sunggyu’s apartment and was hit by the merciless Seoul traffic. 

“And welcome to Seoul,” Woohyun grunted as he skillfully maneuvered the van among the sea of cars. 

“Hmm, at least I won’t feel lonely here,” Sunggyu said, gazing out of the window. 

Whether or not that sentence had a double meaning to it, only Sunggyu knows. 

The two finally arrived at Sunggyu’s new apartment almost an hour later. And they groaned when they remembered all of the stuffs they have to move up in the hot weather. It was a little past noon and Woohyun suggested they should go grab some lunch. 

“I know a good kimbap place around here,” he said and Sunggyu agreed.

They took a walk to a nearby kimbap store, which Woohyun was familiar with. Even the owner greeted Woohyun by his name and welcomed Sunggyu warmly. They ate in silence, the two of them tired and hungry from this move. Sunggyu offered to pay for the two of them once they were done. 

As much as they dreaded this part, the two of them started moving Sunggyu’s moving boxes up the apartment. They even got to assemble Sunggyu’s bed so he could sleep comfortably tonight. 

As the sky got darker, Woohyun told Sunggyu he would go back home and come help him out the next day but Sunggyu grabbed his wrist gently, “Hyun,” 

Woohyun cussed inside, knowing exactly why Sunggyu had to use that nickname. 

“Thank you for helping me out,” 

Woohyun nodded and smiled, “Of course,” he released his hand gently from Sunggyu’s grip and walked over to the front door, not wanting to get his hopes too high. 

“If you’re okay with it,” Sunggyu spoke as Woohyun wore his sneakers, “let’s go out tomorrow,” 

“Go out?” Woohyun turned around to the elder behind him.

“Yeah, like on a date,” Sunggyu said, gazing down with his arms folded in front of his chest and his teeth nervously biting his lower lips, “Of course, only if you’re still available for that.” He added nervously.

Woohyun was stunned, not believing his ears. He replied back nervously, “Y-yeah, sure, I don’t have anything to do tomorrow.” 

Sunggyu nodded with a smile, “Okay.” 

“I’ll come over in the morning okay?” Woohyun said, opening the door.

Sunggyu nodded and said, “Text me when you get home, Hyun.” 

Woohyun chuckled, “I will. Good night hyung,” 

 

Sunggyu woke up early the next morning. To say that he was excited is an understatement. It’s not like he had anything special planned that day, so he started feeling a slight regret asking Woohyun to go on a date with him so quickly like that. Around Woohyun, he always felt like he was lacking something - that Woohyun can be with someone better. 

His train of thoughts were disrupted by his doorbell. Sunggyu glanced at his phone. It was still seven in the morning but he jumped out of bed nevertheless and put on his shirt and jogger pants before fixing his hair. 

“You’re early,” Sunggyu said when he opened the door.

“You look like you’re already getting ready yourself,” Woohyun retorted with a playful smile as he entered Sunggyu’s apartment, “I got you a little something on the way,” he shoved a brown lunch bag to Sunggyu.

“The day hasn’t even started yet, but you’re spoiling me already,” Sunggyu chuckled, opening the lunch bag, “Melon pan?” 

“You used to like that in high school,” Woohyun said, entering Sunggyu’s room and casually plopped himself on the bed, “This is nice.”

“Thanks, Hyun,” Sunggyu smiled. He grabbed the bread out of the bag and munched on it as he walked back to his room where Woohyun was, “This is actually really good,” the elder nodded with approval.

Woohyun chuckled and stood up, “Of course,”

 

Sunggyu was in the midst of taking his second bite when Woohyun inched himself closer and took a quick bite on the other end of the bread. Sunggyu swore his heart could spring out of his chest at that moment. Woohyun let out a playful laugh, “You’re cute, hyung,” 

Even though he couldn’t contain his embarrassment, Sunggyu had to thank Woohyun’s honest, and maybe flirty, personality. It made everything easier for him - especially when he had decided that this was a date. 

“What do you have planned for today?” Woohyun asked, sitting on the foot of the bed. 

Sunggyu gulped his last bread piece and lied down next to the younger, “I’m thinking of taking you to a nice dinner place, but I forgot to take into account that I’m not familiar with Seoul.” 

Woohyun chuckled and turned to Sunggyu, “That’s it?” 

Sunggyu gave him a side eye, “If you have other ideas or insights, please do entertain me with them,” he replied sarcastically.

Woohyun lied his back down, so both of them were then staring at the ceiling next to each other. While Woohyun was wondering where today would lead them to, he felt Sunggyu staring at him. 

“What?” He turned his head, so he could now admire Sunggyu’s dark hazel eyes. 

“I’ll plan something better next time,” Sunggyu said a little too seriously with a little hint of regret in his voice.

“Next time?” Woohyun whispered with a teasing smile, “What makes you so confident that there’s a next time?”

“Because I don’t want to let you out of my sight anymore,” Sunggyu blurted, keeping a stoic expression but it took Woohyun aback and the chatterbox was speechless for once.

Sunggyu was satisfied with the reaction he got from the younger. So he stood up and cheerfully said, “Come on, let’s start opening those boxes before we go,” 

 

-//-