Sweet Taste

A Place To Stay

Chapter 8 - Sweet Taste

 

Thanks to Mr. Kang’s new family’s kind hospitality, Minjoo was able to sleep well that night in the most comfortable way.

She still has to go to school the next day and since she didn’t return home, Ms. Kim asks Chaewon to lend her spare school uniform for Minjoo to wear. Fortunately the two girls aren’t that much different in sizes, so the uniform fits well on Minjoo. Except the skirt is a little shorter since Minjoo is taller than Chaewon.

Minjoo has done dressing up for school before coming out from Hyewon’s room and meets Chaewon in the hallway. The older girl laughs lightly.

“You look like a school thug by wearing that sweatpants before the skirt. *Ssaen unnie!” Chaewon remarked wittily. (*strong = reference to Jessi’s nickname “strong unnie”)

The younger girl blushes sheepishly. “Shut up~”

When they come downstairs together, Ms. Kim stares at the two lovely girls affectionately. “My daughters are so pretty~”

Chaewon flashes her cute smile that resembles her mother while Minjoo’s face turns red. She has never once heard her own birth mother said that in her entire life. Fortunately she hasn’t lived that long yet that she may have the opportunity come in the future.

Mr. Kang drives them to school instead of them getting on a public transportation. On their way to school, Chaewon initiatively reaches out her hand and grips on Minjoo’s delicate hand. “Everything will be fine,” she said.

“Can I join you and your friends for lunch today instead? Your mom even packed lunch boxes for us.”

“Aren’t you going to fix things with Yujin? You can’t avoid her forever.”

“Maybe later. But I don’t think I can face her today.”

Chaewon smiles assuringly. “Sure, if that’s what you wish.”

Once they arrive at school, Chaewon bows to Mr. Kang and wishes him to drive safely while the older man holds Minjoo back before the girl could step in after the school gate.

“Hyewon will pick you up after school. I have something to talk to the both of you tonight so don’t be home late.”

Minjoo blinks and nods her head. “I understand uncle.”

“Now go inside!” he pats her shoulder and smiles gently. She falls for this side of him and wishes to see more.

“See you tonight!”

***

Keeping her words, Minjoo really can’t meet Yujin’s face at school thus avoiding the latter at all cost. Yuri suddenly feels a little guilty because if she didn’t spill Yujin and Wonyoung’s past relationship by mistake, Minjoo wouldn’t have a problem with Yujin now.

“Do you think I should step in and make things right for the both of them?”

The small girl’s with hoarse voice comes to have a consultation session with Chaewon about the matter. The class president is bewildered of why the Busan girl decides to discuss with her about someone else’s relationship problem. Not that she means to belittle the other girl’s effort, but she just feels a little uncomfortable.

Out of all things, Yuri really has to talk to her about Minjoo’s broken relationship with Yujin.

“lol I don’t think you should do anything, Yuri. If you really feel bad, you need to talk to the both of them separately, not setting them up,” she said awkwardly.

“You really think so?” Yuri blinks her eyes cutely.

“Actually Yuri, it’s about time Minjoo knew about them too. Yujin can’t keep it a secret forever,” Hitomi interfered as she sits next to Chaewon in class and listens to everything.

“You’re right,” Yuri sighed in defeat as her gaze falls on Minjoo who has her head down on the table and is actually sleeping. “I should apologize to the both of them for causing this problem to arise in the first place.”

Chaewon smiles awkwardly as Yuri withdraws from her table. “Goodluck Jo Yuri.”

***

After dinner that night, the family gathers in the living room and for the first time the the air feels heavy between the family tonight. Mr. Kang has a serious expression on his face and Ms. Kim even lowers down the volume on the tv, making the three young girls feel a little more anxious.

“Hyewon, Minjoo,” the man of the house called seriously and Chaewon immediately doesn’t have a good feeling based on his vibe. “I’ve been talking to your mother.”

The half sisters sigh while Chaewon mums quietly. ‘Why is it such a big deal?’ She thought Minjoo’s mom should be the one to start apologizing first for wounding her daughter’s heart but the adults seem to think differently.

“Your mom is tactless, absolutely, and she’s just really, really bad at expressing her loves to the both of you,” he spoke more and exhales sharply. “But I think this time around she just wants her daughters back because she’s lonely.”

“But she has her husband-”

“I know Hyewon, and it’s her fault for falling in love with too many men in her life to the point that you can’t trust her anymore. But girls, I can tell you for sure that this man your mother married will last with her and she’s genuinely serious about him. She already settled well with him, and now she wants her daughters to make her dream family finally completes.”

“B-But what about me and you? Mom? Chaewonnie?” Hyewon is in the verge of tears.

Chaewon almost loses her breath at the thought of departing from Hyewon. She is the best thing that ever happened in Chaewon’s life after the tragic accident.

“Hyewon sweetie,” her step mother smiles lovingly and cups the back of Hyewon’s hand, rubbing her palm against her skin gently. “You’re not leaving for good, of course. Your father is bound to take care of you for the rest of his life, so you’re trapped here forever,” she said which makes her step and birth daughters respectively feel better.

“But you’re going to stay with your mother for a week to spend time together with her, starting tomorrow since you won’t have school,” Mr. Kang adds. Hyewon and Minjoo nod in satisfaction but Chaewon is not having it.

“Isn’t a week is t-too long?” she protests timidly. “I-I mean, Minjoo’s house isn’t even t-that far from here, so is a week even n-necessary?”

“Chaewonnie, you must be going to miss us, right?” Minjoo asked teasingly. The older girl seems to be reluctant of parting from her and Hyewon.

Chaewon rolls her eyes and unexpectedly pouts her lips afterwards, sulking.

She’s actually too used of having Hyewon around her everyday and Minjoo every weekend, so a week long without the both of them will make her feel lonely.

“Awe Chaewonnie, don’t worry because we’re not going to leave you alone abruptly like that.” Hyewon cooed.

“That’s true,” Ms. Kim nods her head approvingly. “Why not the three of you go out tomorrow and pick something for Hyewon’s mom before you go back there? Chaewon will have more time to be with the both of you that way.”

“It’s brilliant, mom! We’ll surely go out together tomorrow!” Hyewon is excited as well as Minjoo. Chaewon just follows along with the plan to make them feel better but she knows the long week will still be a hell of a torture for her.

***

Around 10 am, Hyewon, Chaewon and Minjoo all dress up for a short outing before the two half-sisters will have to head back to Minjoo’s house and stay with their birth mother for a week.

Hyewon drives to a department store in the town. They are planning to choose a present for Minjoo’s mother and Hyewon is especially at lost since she hasn’t spent that much time with her to know anything about what she’d like, leading her to have a difficult time picking a present.

The eldest sister strolls leisurely along the aisles with Chaewon and Minjoo behind her. “What should I get for mom?” she wonders by herself.

“Do we choose presents separately, unnie? I think mom might like it more that way.”

“Yeah, I was thinking that we should split the treats too.” Hyewon turns around, “You’ll be fine alone right, because I’m taking Chaewon with me!” she declared.

Minjoo is flustered at first but she respects Hyewon’s decision if her eldest sister said that. “Yeah, sure. I don’t think I’ll have a hard time choosing something for mom anyway.”

Hyewon beams happily and starts to stroll deeper into the store after reprimanding Minjoo. “We’ll meet again here after we’re done. If you happen to be early, just give me a call.”

“Alright, unnie.”

Minjoo’s eyes tail on Hyewon who is moving farther away while not letting go of Chaewon’s wrist, and Chaewon who turns back briefly just to wave her hand at Minjoo before turning to back to Hyewon.

“Should we get your mom a cooking book? She might want to learn new recipes for her husband.”

Minjoo chuckles as she hears Hyewon and Chaewon argue a little about Chaewon’s suggestion on her choice of present.

“These childish unnies,” she remarked and shakes her head. Her eyes can’t stop staring at Chaewon’s back who’s slowly fading away from her sight. “You precious child.”

***

After the little shopping, Hyewon suggests they have a break at a dessert cafe when the eldest girl craves for something sweet before going home. She starts to que in the line in front of the counter to order while Chaewon and Minjoo go to find a seat for the three of them.

“Did you try to text Yujin or anything back?” Chaewon starts as she finds the silence as the perfect time to open up about the matter.

Minjoo sighs dramatically and briefly tosses her head to the back, face on the ceiling before facing Chaewon back. “I’m not sure if I should reach out to Yujin first. I know I was partly at fault for not being supportive enough and for doubting her and Wonyoung, but she broke things up between us without properly explaining anything to me.” She shakes her head and her expression tells she’s in a disappointment. “It’s unfair to me.”

“But do you still love Yujin?” Chaewon asks seriously. Minjoo never had seen her in that kind of emotion before.

“Y-Yeah, of course I still l-like Yujin. She’s my first lo- relationship, ever!”

Hyewon returns to the table with a buzzer in her hand. The topic about Yujin is immediately died down by default. Minjoo is not ready to talk about the CF star in front of her sometimes-can-be-scary eldest sister.

“Are you sure you want to share the bingsoo with me Chaewonnie? I don’t think you’ll get to eat a lot because I eat a lot, hehe,” Hyewon step sister and giggles cutely.

“Chaewon can share the bingsoo with me, I don’t mind!” Minjoo interjected. She knows Hyewon is a gluttony and it’s impossible to share a portion fairly with the girl.

The buzzer lights up and Hyewon rises on her feet back to retrieve the order and comes back not long after with a tray of two bowls of bingsoo.

“Chaewon-ah, you’re going to be fine alone and can take care of yourself right?” Hyewon asked her step sister. “Please promise me, or you can give me a call whenever you don’t feel well.” She starts to be paranoid over the younger girl. “Or maybe you should call me everyday so I can check if you’re fine or not. I’ll go to you right away.”

“Unnie!” Minjoo snorts in disbelief. Chaewon giggles at her older step sister’s antics and reassures her.

“I’ll do one or another. I’m going to miss you a lot, unnie!” She smiles as her eyes disappear.

Minjoo watches them intently. The view in front of her warms her heart. Hyewon and Chaewon have a special bond between them that Minjoo can’t exactly explain with simple words. They are beyond magnificent.

As expected, the shaved-ices are quickly gone as they started to dig in diligently. Hyewon already paid for the desserts and they are about to leave together when Chaewon holds Minjoo’s wrist. “Wait, can you stay for a while?”

The dark brown-haired girl stares back at the red-haired in confusion. “Why?” What is she supposed to do by staying back?

Soon after, the cafe’s door opened as the bell rings. Chaewon turns her back on Minjoo for the door and is glad that she doesn’t have to hold Minjoo back by herself any longer as she sees the familiar face incoming.

Yujin has appeared at the cafe without Minjoo knowing and the former steps closer to where her ex-girlfriend and Chaewon are standing by. “Minjoo…”

Chaewon finally lets go of Minjoo’s arm and smiles, patting Yujin’s shoulder. “Fix it well, Ahn Yujin.”

Minjoo is utterly surprised at the event happening in front of her, too overwhelmed to say anything. She’s happy that Yujin is right before her eyes now and they may make up their relationship soon, but she can’t take her eyes off of Chaewon because she feels very touched by the older girl.

“Thank you Chaewon. I owe you a lot!” Yujin said.

The red-haired then begins to move and quickly skips to Hyewon’s side so they can leave together.

“Yujin, please send Minjoo to our house before lunch. We have a plan today!” Hyewon reprimanded the younger.

“Yes unnie!” Yujin salutes playfully.

A second later, Hyewon and Chaewon leave the cafe, also leaving Minjoo with Yujin alone.

But Chaewon manages to turn back briefly to see how Yujin and Minjoo are already seated back at the table.

Her heart clutches slightly at the sight of Minjoo smiling to Yujin.

***

It’s been three days. The high school students are back at school, with Minjoo and Yujin reconciled. Their friends are happy for them, especially Yuri. She has no idea how exactly they patched back together but from the story of Yujin, the CF star asked a help from Chaewon who was the closest with Minjoo for the past week.

Chaewon who had no choice because Yujin’s plead (almost begging on her knees) had melted her heart, she gave in and made a plan to set them up at the cafe, with Hyewon naturally involved without force.

They have a little break in the class since the teachers have a meeting when Minjoo sees Chaewon steps out from the classroom. She has a clue of what the girl is up to and decides to follow her out secretly. “I’ll be back in a few minutes,” she told Yuri and Nako. Although they are confused by her weird behavior, they nod to her words and let her be.

 

“I knew you’d be here and smoking again.”

Chaewon turns to the familiar voice and finds Minjoo crosses her arms upon discovering her. She smiles sheepishly to the younger girl before timidly disposing the cigarette to the ground and steps on it.

“You haven’t contacted Hyewon unnie since that day,” she started and moves next to Chaewon leaning her back against the wall of the storage room.

“Yeah, I’m sorry about that. I don’t have enough courage to call her up to be very honest,” she said.

“She complained a lot and talked about how much she worried about you. My mom was even sick of it, but she learned better that unnie really adores you, there’s no match to that.”

Chaewon smiles. “That’s a relief.” There’s a slight pause. “I thought she’s gonna leave and forget about me for real.”

Minjoo frowns. “That’s not true! Hyewon unnie won’t shut up about you!” she denied strongly. “I like you too. I don’t think I can forget about you that easily, even more so Hyewon unnie.”

There’s a skip in her heartbeat. Chaewon is fluttered.

“Really?”

Minjoo puts her hand on Chaewon’s shoulder. “There’s nothing to not like about you, to be very honest. There are too many things that I like about you that I can’t say one.”

“So Chaewon, please don’t think so lowly about yourself.”

Her words are so warm, deep and too sharp that they slowly slip into her skin and prickle her heart.

If only…

***

It’s recess time. The cafeteria is already packed with students when Chaewon has just arrived with Hitomi. The empty seats left are the ones Chaeyoung and Nakyung reserved for them, sitting at one long table with their other classmates, and surprisingly shared with one junior, Wonyoung.

“Wonyoung, it’s a pleasant surprise to see you,” Hitomi remarked as she and Chaewon join the table.

“Woah Hitomi, your Korean is really good now!” Wonyoung covers , pretends to be shocked.

Hitomi stares back at the tall girl, unamused. “You’re fighting with Yujin again, aren’t you?”

Wonyoung sighs and turns her face back on the food. “I’m not in the mood to talk about her,” she said and pouts her lips, making her looks cuter.

Chaeyoung already steals some food from Chaewon’s lunch box, the one that appeals to her appetite more than the cafeteria’s food. “Your fight is worse than a real couple! Sometimes I mistaken you as Yujin’s girlfriend more than Minjoo!”

 

“When will you stop staring at that table and start focusing on me?”

Yujin diverts her gaze away from her target and briefly glances at Minjoo before aggressively consuming the food, slurping the soup quickly.

“Ahn Yujin!”

The girl continues to ignore Minjoo’s call and still digs in her food hungrily, as if she’s putting up on a show for Minjoo.

But the corner of her eyes still catch the unpleasant sight coming from the other table, causing her to bite her lower lips and lift her gaze up.

Nancy, their upperclassman and Chaeyoung’s classmate, who’s currently sitting next to Wonyoung is ruffling the latter’s hair, patting her head like the girl is her pet or something.

Yujin huffs loudly, biting her inner cheeks.

“Ahn Yujin, are you going to keep looking at Wonyoung like that and ignoring your girlfriend right now?!”

Minjoo’s outburst isn’t surprising but still makes Yujin startled, even Yuri and Nako. They are too scared and numb to say anything to calm the girl, and Yujin’s silence doesn’t help.

Looking at Yujin right now doesn’t only annoy or irritate her, because Minjoo’s blood is boiling with anger.

Angry and furious; out of jealousy.

She scoffs and roughly lifts the tray up with her, walking away from the table angrily.

Chaewon watches her leaving in such emotion, wondering what got on her nerves again this time.

***

Past dinner, Chaewon’s mother packs some side dishes like Hyewon requested from a phone call from the last two days. Chaewon had called her up to say everything is fine at home, but Chaewon still misses Hyewon sometimes and would sleep in the older’s room to feel her scent and presence.

That’s partly true. However, she didn’t mention how she would come into Hyewon’s room just to get a glimpse of Minjoo’s picture which was hung on the wall, the one that Chaewon had previously given Hyewon as a present before.

“Here, take this to their house!” Ms. Kim is done packing and hands out the container. Chaewon retrieves it and promises to deliver the side dishes safely to Minjoo’s house.

 

Chaewon finally arrives in front of Minjoo’s doorstep after around 15 minutes of the bus ride. She gives Hyewon’s number a call but the older girl doesn’t pick up. After a minute of wondering, she decides to knock on the door to notify the residents of her visit.

The door is pulled opened from inside, revealing Minjoo in her white t-shirt and her grey sweatpants. The girl is obviously surprised of her visit, but Chaewon just smiles warmly at her.

“What brings you here?”

Minjoo invites her inside as the visitor looks around the house, searching for a certain someone that she originally meant to meet.

“Hyewon unnie asked for some side dishes so mom sent me here to deliver these,” she showed Minjoo the container and Minjoo immediately tends to the gift.

They go to the kitchen and Minjoo checks each of the dishes first before putting them away in the fridge.

“Wow, there’re kimchi, seasoned spinach, spicy radish salad, stir-fried eggplants! Your mom really made a lot, my mouth is already watering!” She can’t help herself but gawking at the visuals and the nice smells of the side dishes.

 

“I’m sorry that you come all the way here for Hyewon unnie but couldn’t get to see her.”

They are now in Minjoo’s bedroom, which she currently shares with Hyewon but the eldest sister is now on a short date with Sakura and hasn’t returned for a while.

“It’s fine,” Chaewon said. “Maybe I’m given this little time as a chance to talk to you.”

Minjoo’s mother and stepfather aren’t home yet because of work, which Chaewon thinks is the perfect time to be alone with the girl.

“I heard from Hyewon unnie that you once again break up with Yujin.”

Minjoo looks away, too wounded to talk about her failed relationship.

“I don’t think we can mend this relationship anymore. She’s totally out of it and suddenly has her eyes on Wonyoung only the whole time,” the girl lets out her disappointment

“Are they going back together? Is that why she’s been shooting glares at Nancy when she’s with Wonyoung?”

Minjoo isn’t that much surprised to know that Chaewon notices that, because she’s the observant type of person. But she’s definitely amused and stares at Chaewon in astonishment.

“Yeah, I think she’s still not over Wonyoung, but they haven’t gone back together, yet.”

Chaewon stares at Minjoo hopelessly, her gaze means something more than what the latter can never catch, unless she expresses herself with words.

“Minjoo, I hope you know that there is someone else that-”

Chaewon stops, contemplating internally.

A second passes. Minjoo waits patiently.

Another twenty seconds tick by. Minjoo raises her eyebrows.

“Nevermind,” Chaewon gives up and raises on her feet. “I’m going home now.”

Minjoo stares at Chaewon’s back weirdly, wondering why the older girl’s behavior seems a little strange tonight.

“Chaewon, wait!” she hollers before the other girl completely steps out from the room. Minjoo walks to her wardrobe and takes out a mint green paper bag that she had kept, hands it out to Chaewon.

“You’ve always been such a sweetheart and keep giving others a gift, it’s time I return that favor.”

Minjoo is a few centimeters away from Chaewon now. “I knew the pink gloves for my mom was a gift from you, I couldn’t be more grateful for you.”

Chaewon retrieves the unexpected gift and studies the paper bag for a while, her mind is jumbled up.

Suddenly, there’s a strong surge of confidence seep inside her and she doesn’t want to waste this alone moment by staying still.

She needs to take action now before she regrets forever.

“Minjoo, there is someone else that is always has her eyes on you, adores you, smiles at you, and thinks you’re the most beautiful girl at every situation. I want you to know that, because you deserve to know that you are so loved.

“This someone, that is head over heels for you, is me.”

Minjoo widens her eyes, unsure how to react. The confession surely not only catches her off guard, but also touches her heart.

She finally knows now, that all these times, she is loved.

Well, secretly loved.

Chaewon is closing the gap between them. Minjoo freezes on her spot, unable to move.

She steps closer. Hands wrap around her waist.

Minjoo holds her breath.

Five. Four. Three. Two. One.

And their lips meet.

This kiss...Minjoo never knows she actually wants and needs it all these times.

It tastes sweet, and addicting. Minjoo wants Chaewon’s lips against her own, over and over again.

There’s a butterfly in her stomach. She wants this to last for a while.


***If you all guessed Chaewon was jealous of Minjoo and Yujin in the beginning of the story, you're right xD 2kim finally kissed y'all!!! Huhu I'm sorry if Yujin sounds like a jerk here, but I swear this kid isn't like what you had read. Momoland's Nancy is here as Wonyoung's other girl, so it can spark some jealousy from Yujin because ANNYEONGZ!!! ㅋㅋㅋ  Have fun reading (^_^)/