Kind of A Party

A Place To Stay

Chapter 5 - Kind of A Party

 

It’s already been a month since Minjoo transferred to Starlim High School, the school where her girlfriend Yujin and Hyewon’s step sister, Chaewon attend.

After the last lesson period ends, Minjoo heads out with Yuri by her side to Yujin’s class, 2-A in the same corridor with their backpacks on their backs each. Yujin comes out in time as they arrive in front of her class but for some reason Minjoo finds it strange to see her girlfriend without her really close friend, Wonyoung by her side.

“Where’s Wonyoung?”

Yujin shrugs her shoulder and her eyes don’t seem as lively as they used to be. Minjoo wonders if something happened with the girl.

“You fight again, didn’t you!” Yuri wasn’t asking, but stating as if she’s saying out of a fact.

“I don’t want to talk about it!” Yujin huffs and Minjoo takes it as a sign to not bother her with question anymore.

“Let’s get going guys!”

The trio walk out of school together and plan to eat snack at a famous tteokbokki place among school students. Minjoo is intrigued to ask Yujin about her dampen mood but she’s afraid the girl might snap at her.

Minjoo has a soft heart; she can’t be scolded or her tears will spill easily.

“My sister is planning to have a party at her house this Saturday since her parents are away for business trip. She asked to invite you guys as my friends!” Minjoo said as she stabs the rice cake and munches it inside .

“What’s the occasion?” Yuri asked. Party is her thing and she’d love to know Minjoo’s sister. She sounds like a fun girl to be with based on the stories she heard from her friend.

“She passed her driving license! Maybe she finds it worth celebrating!”

Once the snacks are cleared, Yuri leaves first as her grab driver is already here to pick her up. Meanwhile on the other hand, Yujin keeps Minjoo company and walks with her to the bus stop.

“Will you stay with your sister tomorrow, before the party on Saturday?” Yujin asked.

“Of course!”

Yujin smiles sweetly at her before grasping her hand. “Can I sleepover there tomorrow too? Please ask your sister for me!”

“O-Oh…” Minjoo blinks, uncertain of the appropriate response that she should give to Yujin. “I-I’ll ask her later.”

The bus comes, Minjoo rides on it and waves her hand at her girlfriend. Yujin’s mood has surely gotten better as she waves back enthusiastically. She’s probably too excited at the thought of spending a night sleepover at her girlfriend’s place.

On the other hand, Minjoo is a little bothered about it and feels too nervous for some reason. Will Hyewon actually agree with this idea? She hopes her sister will say no.

***

The luck isn’t on her side when Hyewon is not against the idea of Yujin staying with them for the night. In fact, she’s actually ecstatic because she wants to learn more about the girl that her sister is seeing.

Once the school is over for the day, Minjoo heads straight to Hyewon’s house instead of her own. Her mother has already been informed about the party but the folk can’t join them since she’d be busy with work.

Wel, at least her mother had cooked some food for Hyewon to compensate for her absence.

“Wow,” Hyewon deadpanned as soon as Minjoo opened the meal box that their mother had prepared.

The long and uncut kimbap, the messy rolled eggs, they aren’t that much appealing for Hyewon’s big appetite for food.

“Let’s just eat!”

The two sisters grab the chopstick and take a bite of the rolled eggs. The egg is a little salty and Hyewon finds a piece of the skin as she munches it. Meanwhile, Minjoo is struggling with the big kimbap after she’s done with the rolled egg. She puts down her chopstick and just ends up using her hand to eat it.

Hyewon is already so done with the food and sighs. “Let’s just eat ramen, shall we?”

Minjoo gives up with the kimbap. “Yeah, let’s eat ramen!”

Yujin will arrive anytime soon before dinner, but they have nothing special at home to serve the girl. Hyewon is pondering for a while about what she should do to save the misery of not treating a guest well.

The door opens revealing Chaewon who just comes back from her friend, Chaeyoung’s place. Looks like she has food with her from afar and Hyewon becomes ecstatic again.

“I have pizza and chicken,” the younger announced and Hyewon breathes out of relief. Chaewon is really her savior! She takes home two large pizza boxes and 2 sets of chicken. Hyewon is a big eater and Chaewon heard that Yujin also has a big appetite for someone so skinny and has to worry about her weight since she’s an athlete. Chaewon’s wise mind actually does her step sister a big favor since she thinks one large box of pizza won’t be enough for the four of them.

Yujin shows up as soon as they have served the food on the plates. Minjoo skips to the door excitedly and welcomes her girlfriend with a hug. Yujin has her belongings in her backpack and that is enough to tell that the girl is really going to stay the night with Minjoo.

They eat in the living room instead of at the table while the tv is on, playing some fun show that Hyewon and Chaewon usually enjoy so much on Saturday night.

“So, what do you actually plan to do tomorrow; unnie?” Yujin asked, highly interested with the whatever party plan Hyewon has in her mind.

“I’ll have a lot of my close friends come over tomorrow, from my old schools before and after I moved here. The food is already covered since our mother had ordered from her close friend for tomorrow so we don’t have to worry about that.”

“What about drinks?” Minjoo eyes her sister as she bites on her piece of pizza.

“My friend Eunbi will come with the drinks. Her father owns a convenience store so it’s easy to ask for a stock hehe”, Hyewon giggled cutely.

“Do you have alcoholic drinks too?” Yujin asked slyly.

“Yes, but it’s only for us adults! If I see any of you kids touch alcohol I will not hesitate to kill you!”

Chaewon doesn’t say much except for telling Hyewon what she had missed the fun parts from the tv since the conversation she had with Minjoo and Yujin distracted her. Minjoo is annoyed that Chaewon doesn’t even bother to involve herself in the conversation even if she has a guest here.

The food are cleared as the tv show they have been watching ends. Chaewon takes the plates and decides to wash the dishes by default.

“Yujin, you’ll be sleeping with Minjoo in my room while I’ll sleep with Chaewon tonight!”

Hyewon’s words just add more concerns for Minjoo. She’s not ready to sleep with Yujin in one bed. Not after the incident in the gym they had on her first day of school. Yujin will try to have her way on Minjoo again from this sleepover tonight. It gives her goosebump at the mere thought of that.

“Thank you unnie!” Yujin smiles brightly, happy that she gets to share a room with her girlfriend as she wishes for. Minjoo is already so terrified on her core.

Is there no way to escape her way out of this?

***

True like her intuition, Yujin does think of having her way to get on top of Minjoo in the bed.

They kiss, with Minjoo on the bottom and Yujin dominating above her. She feels so hot and by Yujin’s touches, but she also must find a way to resist this. For some reason, she’s not ready to strip her clothes off for Yujin. Maybe it’s not the time yet considering they’re still at an early age of their relationship.

“Y-Yujin…” Minjoo panicked as she feels Yujin’s hand at the hem of her button.

“Yes baby…?” Yujin’s voice was airy as she kisses Minjoo’s collarbone.

The door suddenly opens without a warning. The lovers on the bed quickly stay away from each other as Yujin pulls away and Minjoo sits up.

Chaewon is the culprit behind the door.

“What are you two doing?”

The older girl’s mere presence intimidate them and her voice alone scares them to the core. They hear Chaewon snorts and don’t even dare to look up at her.

“You can do whatever you lovebirds are planning to do at school or wherever, but not here. This is not your house. Please have some respect for me, Hyewon unnie and our parents.”

Counting this, it’s the second time they got caught during their intimate moment by Chaewon. Minjoo’s face turns deep shade of red and faces the other way from the older girl.

“Sorry,” Yujin utters on behalf of herself and Minjoo since this scene is happening again because of her.

The red-haired soon leaves the room to themselves after retrieving the stuffs that Hyewon had asked her to take.

Yujin rubs her face and Minjoo sighs.

“Yujin, I think we need to talk.”

The lovers face each other on the bed but they’re on sitting position unlike earlier.

“Yujin, I-I don’t think I’m r-ready to make love just yet,” Minjoo started and her heart breaks a little as she sees a down look from her girlfriend.

“We’re still young and we have so much time before we could go to that phase.”

Yujin heaves out a sigh in disappointment after hearing her girlfriend’s opinion. She hates to admit this but Minjoo is actually not wrong at all. She can’t put their love based on her lust.

“You’re right,” Yujin accepts her defeat. “I’m sorry if I make you uncomfortable.”

Minjoo smiles. “No problem. For a second, I can’t completely resist you too,” she admitted sheepishly.

“Aish, I’m so embarrassed to tell you this but I think I should let you know since a relationship cannot live without trust. Go Yujin sunbaenim actually had made me watched rated stuffs sometimes so I guess that’s why I was kinda impatient.”

“You watched ?!” Minjoo’s jaw drops.

“B-But it’s not serious; I swear! We just watched it for fun and to release stress! And you know, while we watched it, GoYu sunbae had a make out with her girlfriend Son Eunchae sunbaenim in front of me so I-”

“Okay stop!” Minjoo shuts Yujin’s mouth from talking further. “I got it!”

***

The party starts as the guests fill the house. They have tteokbokki, bulgogi fried rice, dumpling, mushroom soup, chicken and pizza. The guests can freely choose and pick their food.

“Wow, you have plenty of food here!” Hyewon’s friend, Sakura stated the obvious. Her eyes turn big as she scans all the food served on the table.

“Hehe,” Hyewon giggles as she did not expect that much quantities of food either. It’s all thanks to her generous step mother. “I hope you like and enjoy the food, Kkura!”

“You’re ch-idding me Kang-chan!!! How t-ould we not en-ch-oy the p-ood!!!”

“Damn it Choi Yena! Please don’t talk when your mouth is full with food!”

“Let her be Chaeyeon! That’s her natural kind of disease!”

“But she spits out the food on my face, Eunbi!”

Minjoo has just done with her business in the toilet before coming out. She walks to her sister who’s attending to her loud group of friends as she comes to know one or two faces.

“Hi Minjoo! It’s really been while, you’ve grown much taller and prettier now!”

Kwon Eunbi, one of Hyewon’s close friend from the old neighbourhood before she separated from Minjoo greeted her with bright smile.

Minjoo bows her head as she recognizes Eunbi immediately. “Hello unnie, it’s really been a while! I see you don’t change that much and still look pretty~” the girl complimented.

“I take it as you still remember Eunbi! Anyway, this is Lee Chaeyeon, Eunbi’s girlfriend and my classmate when I first moved school. The one who’s eating like there’s no tomorrow and has a duck-shaped lips was also my classmate like Chaeyeon, Choi Yena. The other one with short bob hair cut hair is Sakura, she’s my-”

“Girlfriend!” Her friends completed the sentence for her in unison. Hyewon smirks confidently while the girl name Sakura is blushing madly.

Minjoo giggles watching her sister and her friends’ antics. They’re older and supposed to be more mature but their behaviours are not less like high schoolers like herself.

Oh right, they’re not that much older anyway. Minjoo forgets that Hyewon is actually only turning young adult this year.

Minjoo smiles once again to her sister’s friends before excusing herself. “Enjoy the party, unnies. I’ll be joining my friends now, excuse me.”

She walks to join her girlfriend and a few other friends who gather in a corner of the house while eating the food and chatting.

“Hi!”

She sits beside Yujin on the lowest step of the house and steals some rice cake from her girlfriend’s bowl.

“I like it that you guys make the party so simple without formal dress code or anything but still serve fancy reception for us.”

“It’s nothing actually. Hyewon’s step mother felt bad that she couldn’t cook and be here for this party and since my sister barely holds a party for her own birthday, Ms. Kim decided to be more generous this time.”

They nod their heads and acknowledge Hyewon’s step mother is one of a kind woman.

“She’s lucky! I bet she loves her step mom!”

“Oh Suyoon please, we all know you wanted to say Minjoo’s sister is lucky because she gets to live in the same place as Chaewon!” Yunjin interjected.

“Hey, if that’s the case I could just say I’m envious of Minjoo since she not only gets to see Chaewon in class but also at home!” the tall girl said on her defense. The clique laughs at her reaction.

Minjoo giggles. “I don’t see her that often to be honest since I don’t live here, only sleepover sometimes because I want to see my sister. But you’re right that Hyewon unnie loves her step mother. She even calls Ms. Kim her mom now and she’s not even that affectionate to our birth mother.”

“Oh, it’s good then!”

“Actually Minjoo, Suyoon is upset that Chaewon is absent from this party. That’s why she seems lethargic now compared to her usual self!” Yuri teased and once again the tall girl becomes the victim of their playful teasing nature.

Suyoon scoffs. “You wouldn't think I expected her to be present, right? She’s not the type to show up at any event. She didn’t even show up at our class’s year-end party if not for Hitomi dragging her!”

Minjoo snorts. “This is her sister’s party though, she should be here too!” she mumbled under her breath. Yujin looks at her and blinks. “Did you say something?”

“No,” Minjoo shakes her head.

The guests stay for a while, catching up and chit-chatting with one another. Hyewon talks to Minjoo’s friends and likewise. Although they have a little age differences and it’s the first time for them to meet each other, they’re all getting and joking along well. It’s almost like they all attend the same school, but it’s really not the case.

When the food are almost cleared, Chaewon finally comes home with what looks like Hitomi, Chaeyoung and Nakyung on her tail.

“Unnie,” Chaewon greets Hyewon who welcomes her home lovingly. The eldest sister has this spark in her orbs as she looks at Chaewon. The step sisters hug with Chaewon buries her face on Hyewon’s neck and stays in the position for a while before pulling away.

“Did you eat? If not, I’ll fix the meal for you,” Hyewon said softly. The heart-shapes in her eyes never fade.

Chaewon rubs her eyes tiredly. “It’s okay, I want to take a nap. Let Chaeyoung, Nakko and Hiichan eat first before they could go home!”

Hyewon nods and lets go of Chaewon. The younger excused herself and goes upstairs to her bedroom.

Minjoo had been eyeing the both them quietly, annoyed by the way Hyewon and Chaewon show affection for each other. “She’s gone in the morning, back before dusk and now she wants to be excused from cleaning!”

She’s so irritated by Chaewon’s sly attitude.

“Hyewon unnie!” Chaeyoung, Nakyung and Hitomi greet the girl together. “We heard you passed the driving license test, congratulations!”

Hyewon giggles and thanks the girls. “Go and eat the food before my friends finish them off! And Hiichan, Chaewon saves a few pastries just for you, let me go get it!”

“Yeay!!!” the mochi is absolutely happy.

“Hyewon, that’s not fair! That’s favouritism!” Yena argued.

“Because it’s true that Chaewon’s favourite is Hiichan!” Hyewon sticks her tongue out and the other guests laugh as Yena sulks.

***

Minjoo sits next to her sister on the bed, thinking about the party in the evening.

“Unnie, why your another sister was avoiding the party? She should’ve shown her face to your guests and not running off and be selfish. That’s rude!”

She really has a lot to complain about a certain red-haired that has been bothering her.

“Another sister? You meant Chaewonnie?”

Minjoo rolls her eyes. “Who else.”

“I don’t see her not showing up at my party as something rude at all. Chaewonnie is just being herself and doesn’t want to be uncomfortable with having too many people around her. She’s actually really really one of a kind of kind human.”

The younger sister snorts. “That’s what Yujin said too, I can’t believe it!”

 

When the party was still going on and Chaewon just came home, Yujin smiled and greeted Chaewon politely. She heard all the complaints Minjoo had against the red-haired under her breath and decided to ease her girlfriend with nice words.

Yujin was nice like that.

“Do you hate Chaewon or something? I heard you kept muttering under your breath, talking bad things about her.”

“I-I don’t hate her,” Minjoo was flustered. “It’s just that, I feel so annoyed every time she’s around, you know. Her attitudes around me put me off and I just-” she shakes her head. “-don’t get how everyone adores her as if she’s the kindest human in this world.”

Yujin giggled and stared at her girlfriend. “But she’s really kind, maybe one of a kind of kind, but she’s really nice. Even I respected her.”

“You know, at first I was really jealous of her when Hiichan suddenly stopped hanging out with me for her. Hiichan was one of my closest friends that I liked so much, so I was envious when Hiichan chose to keep Chaewon company over me.”

“What about now?” Minjoo asked as her interest aroused by Yujin’s story.

“But Chaewon came to see me when Hiichan and I fought about that and clarified things to me. When I heard her explanation, I realized I was just being childish and we made up after I apologized to Hiichan.”

“Why...Chaewon needed extra care from Hiichan than you?”

Yujin shook her head. “It’s just something really personal and all I knew for sure is that Chaewon definitely needed to be looked out for and Hiichan was chosen to do that not only by Chaeyoung and Nakyung sunbae, but also your sister, Hyewon unnie.”

“Hyewon unnie…was involved too?”

“And you know what, Chaewon has a good talent and potential to become a great artist. Her art drawings are in another level; one of the reasons why I can’t hate her.”

 

“Minjoo look!”

The girl snaps out of her temporary daze as she hears Hyewon half-shouted.

“I never saw this before but I’m sure it’s Chaewon who left this here for me!”

A rolled canvas was discovered by the older girl on her study desk. Hyewon never checked it out when she first entered the room after the party earlier but when she was about to turn off the lamp to prepare for bed and go to sleep a few seconds ago, she finally saw it.

Hyewon rolls the canvas open and is shocked by the sight of a nicely printed photo on the canvas.

It was when they went to lotte world before the new year. Hyewon was riding bumping car and had Minjoo playing with her while Chaewon just stood outside, waiting for them with her parents.

The photo is really nicely taken and it’s the first time Hyewon has seen it. Even Minjoo has her jaw dropped by this present.

“Wow, I never thought she’d take a photo of this. And we looked really nice on it,” Minjoo smiles.

“Ah, I’m tearing up,” Hyewon suddenly said. Minjoo looks at her worriedly.

“Are you okay?”

“Look at this. She wrote a small note for me and I’m really touched!”

Minjoo reads the note that Hyewon shows her and like Hyewon said, it’s quite touching. Minjoo is overwhelmed and actually feels her heart warms after reading it.

 

To: Hyewon unnie,

You look really cool while driving though it’s not a real car. But I know you’ll look great no matter what. Congratulations by passing the test. And I love how you look so happy while having Minjoo around you. It makes me happy too. Let’s be a family for a long, long time, forever ❤

 

“Ah, I’m going to see her now and shower her with kisses!”

Hyewon runs out and leaves to Chaewon’s bedroom. The word family that Chaewon wrote really touches Minjoo’s heart that she suddenly feels her eyes are watering with tears.

“Kim Chaewon, you’re really one of a kind of kind.”


Preview :

 

"I can't sleep"

"You're like a baby"

"MOM!!! MOM!!! EOMMA!!!"

 

***I'm sorry I keep giving you jinjoo instead of 2kim xD But please do expect more significant 2kim moment in the next chapter 😉