KANG HANA

Finding a Second Love
Please log in to read the full chapter

KANG HANA

 

The café is oozing with the aroma of freshly brewed coffee. It makes me want to inhale a gallon of caramel macchiato or better yet pure black coffee, if that’s even possible.

I tap my finger on the table impatiently while looking around the café. I ignore the person that has been speaking all by himself right in front of me and watch those people enjoying their own company. I feel jealous that they are out with a friend or at least someone they know while I am here stuck right in front of a stranger for a blind date I am forced to go to. I regret it now though; saying ‘yes’ to this. He’s just way worse than the last guy they tried to set me up with last month.

This guy is just so full of himself. The moment I sat down and he opened his mouth I knew I would be in for a long sermon. This is even worse than when Father Choon would preach at church every Sunday morning.

“I’m a professor at Hanyang University, faculty of Engineering. You must have heard a lot about Hanyang. It’s one of the top universities out there. That’s why I’m very proud I am working at such a prestigious university and does not really need to worry about my income. I am getting a pretty high pay, has a really nice car and an expensive apartment in Gangnam. I’m actually neighbours with Girl’s Generation’s Taeyeon. Do you know her? She’s popular nowadays…”

I smile at him and half-heartedly nod at his rambling. There’s no point getting my thoughts across because he had already ruined my mood a long time ago. I tried to keep up with his energy, but whenever it was my turn to into the conversation, he just has a way of turning the conversation around so it’s about him again.

He smiles back at me and wipes his lips with a clean tissue. Then he directs the conversation to another interrogation. “So, Hana-ssi, tell me what do you do for a living?” He asks.

“Well, I’m a writer—“

“What kind of writer? Have you published any books yet?” He says, interrupting what I was about to say.

I can feel my eyebrow twitch and my patience thin, but I answer him as politely as I can, “I have published two—“

“So, which books are they? Maybe I have read them?” he asks, looking most definitely interested to what I am saying.

“Well, they are romance –“

“Oh, romance? That’s not my type of book.” He interrupts again, scratching his chin. Then he adds, “if you give me the titles I’ll find them in a bookstore and give them a try. I mean, I would love to help you with your sales and all—”

My phone suddenly rings and I feel a little relieved because it is just right on time; it saved me from this guy’s insufferable rambling. So, without further ado, I grabbed my phone from the table and excused myself.

“Sorry, Hoseok-ssi. I think this is an important call I have to take,” I told him and he willingly let me go.

In a whisper voice he says, “just take your time. I’m sure our talk can wait.” He smiles at me kindly and I jump out of my seat as soon as he gives me the clear.

I go out of the caf

Please log in to read the full chapter