Back to Square One

Vision: A Neo Era

“And yes, Captain J is just as good looking out of the suit as he is in it.”

All the boys in the room went ‘whoa’ as Hae Chan indulged them with the story about meeting the superhero whom they all looked up to -- of course, except Mark who had been there when the event went down, and Ren Jun who was very unimpressed with the story and would be more interested if it was the villain instead.

“I can’t believe you actually met the Captain J,” Jae Min said, practically swooning over the idea of meeting his precious idol. “I can’t even imagine how handsome he is out of the mask.”

“Very.” Hae Chan confirmed with a firm nod. “Of course, he’s not my type, but I can already imagine how crazy the nation would go over his visuals. Oh! And there was also this other guy named Yuta who is currently in training and he has telekinesis!”

“Whoa! None of us have telekinesis.” Jeno spoke, a beaming look on his face. “I want to meet someone with those powers.”

“Maybe one day we can introduce you guys, right Mark?” Hae Chan asked, turning to the guy who had remained oddly quiet throughout the whole conversation.

Mark only shrugged in response, which resulted in the younger frowning. But before he could question the silence, Chenle asked another question.

“So are you guys official superheroes now?”

“Well, we signed a contract and everything, but we haven’t made our official debut yet.” Hae Chan responded, sounding a little too confident with every word he said.

“I can’t believe this." Ji Sung spoke up, turning around in his desk to face the face the monitor once again. “You two are going to be hanging out with guys like Captain J. Unbelievable.”

“What’s so great about Captain J?” Ren Jun suddenly asked, resulting in the entire room gasping.

“I can’t believe you just asked that." Jae Min gasped, rather appalled with a hand on his chest as he leaned away from the other on the couch dramatically.

Ren Jun raised an eyebrow questioningly. “I just don’t get it. He can’t even beat Doctor Death.”

“I’m going to act like you didn’t just say that,” Hae Chan said, waving a finger up in the air, “and we’re going to move the topic of this conversation. Ji Sung, have you found anything on the gun yet?”

Ji Sung who was typing away at his desk momentarily stopped before he sighed and resumed once again. “No. I’ve searched high and low, but nothing. I’m telling you, something very shady is happening here.”

“Maybe I should do some stake-outs and see if I can find anything else that can help us." Mark finally spoke, a hand rubbing his chin. Hae Chan turned to face him.

“Just you? I’ll come along too. Remember, we’re a duo now.”

“That’s only within 127.” Mark responded, setting the trigger off.

“Seriously? Okay, what’s up? You’ve been acting weird ever since we got back.”

Mark opened his mouth to respond when Ren Jun jumped in with a question of his own.

“I’m sorry, but what gun?”

Everyone in the room went silent and an uncomfortable atmosphere filled the room. Perhaps it was that Ren Jun’s addition to the group had already been a while ago, or perhaps it was that he fit into the group well, but it seemed like they had all forgotten Ren Jun hadn’t been in the group that whole time they spent working underground. And as they thought about it now, they realized: What exactly did Ren Jun know if he wasn’t even aware of the gun that Hae Chan and Mark had found that one night they worked as vigilantes?

Are we going to tell him? Everyone suddenly heard Jeno’s voice which, in result, made them all exchange looks.

Ren Jun frowned, noticing the sudden silence in the room, and began to scan everyone's faces, noticing how not only were they all avoiding his gaze, but it seemed like they were all communicating among themselves without speaking out loud. He rolled his eyes and asked, “Are you guys seriously mind communicating without me right now?”

Whaaat? Of course not,” Jeno spoke up to cover them, though he was not convincing at all and they all shook their heads in shame.

“I think we should tell him,” Hae Chan jumped in, tired of the loud silence in the room.

“We can’t tell someone who just joined the team." Mark almost hissed, trying to be quiet, though the silence in the room didn’t help with that.

“Look, guys, I know you may think you can’t trust me yet,” Ren Jun started as he got up from his seat on the couch besides Jae Min and looked around the room, “but I am part of this team now, and if we truly are a team then we have to trust each other.”

The group felt the sincerity in his message, even if it was for just a second. “He’s right guys, the foundation of a team should be love, faith, and trust. We should trust each other unconditionally because we are a team, we are one, we are dream!” Jaemin spoke up, pumping a fist up in the air.

“Wow, those speech classes are really paying off!” Chenle exclaimed with a small clap.

“You really think so?!” Jaemin said with that large goofy smile of his.

Chenle nodded as he sent the older a thumbs up. Haechan silently shook his head in the back

The room went silent once again, all looking over at Mark expectantly for his reaction. Though there had never been an official appointment of position, he was their leader and they all knew that. If Ren Jun was to know about the gun, the decision would be up to him.

“Alright.” Mark sighed as he took a seat, and Hae Chan followed along. He looked up, eyes locking with Ren Jun who, slowly, also sat back down. “Perhaps it is time we include you in all the Dream shenanigans.”

“Finally,” Ren Jun spoke, “so what is this whole gun thing about? What is this team fighting for? What are our goals? I have so many questions.”

“Before I tell you,” Mark started, “I need you to understand that all of this is confidential and we are trusting you with some top secret information and if you speak a word of this-”

“I’ll shoot an arrow through your head--”

“Hae Chan.”

“Sorry.”

“Anyway, do you understand?”

Ren Jun nodded, unfazed.

“Okay, then, do you know how you got your powers?”

Ren Jun was blank, and everyone in the room had to wonder if he was using his powers - until he shook his head slowly and his answer came as a whisper. “No.”

Mark looked back over at Ji Sung who only shrugged. “Well, when Ji Sung and I first found out about each other’s abilities we talked a lot about them and how they came to be. Later, Jae Min and Jeno joined the team and when they told us about their powers and how they came to be, we noticed a pattern. Then Chenle and Hae Chan came along and our theory was confirmed.”

“What theory?” Ren Jun asked, still rather unfazed by everything.

Mark’s tongue grazed over his lip before he leaned back in his seat. He looked over at Hae Chan who nodded before glancing at the others who also nodded.

“When this team was first created, our goal was to help people with our abilities. More underground work, of course you may have noticed. Helping people who get scammed with Ji Sung’s hacker abilities, and covering things that the police can’t even reach to with Hae Chan and my powers. But eventually we noticed everything we were fighting for - including the research revolving around our powers - all ties back to one place.”

Ren Jun raised an eyebrow.

“SM enterprises.”

 


 

It had already been a week since Doctor Death changed up his schedule and Jae Hyun couldn’t be any more alert. He wasn’t sleeping, he wasn' resting. He wasn’t focusing in class,  and wasn't doing his assignments and work. He was stumbling here and there, and every time he would hear so much as a ring coming from a stranger’s phone -- he would jump.

He was focused on all the wrong things and distracted from everything he needed to do to function properly outside of his superhero life.

Doctor Death had attacked once again the previous day, Tuesday, which he never attacked on before. And just like last time, it had been at a completely different place than the usual: A psychiatric hospital.

What kind of villain attack a psychiatric hospital? This wasn’t Gotham city, and Doctor Death was not the Joker. No matter how crazy Jae Hyun thought he was, there was no possible he could have been that crazy. Or perhaps Jae Hyun had just hoped he was truly a better person than that, even if it was way deep down.

But seriously, it didn’t make any sense. What did the psychiatric hospital even do to Doctor Death? Perhaps, was his real identity a person that had once been a patient there? It made sense when he didn’t think about it too much, but if he truly was a patient there before then why would he lead Jae Hyun to that place?

Doctor Death had told him he did everything with purpose, so what was his reasoning this time?

Jae Hyun thought back to the previous day when he had been sitting on the couch with Yuta as usual, before the breaking news reportage came on the television and that reporter guy started talking about Doctor Death attacking some hospital.

It had taken the superhero a while to get there because the place was at the edge of town, but when he got there there the villain only taunted him the slightest before disappearing of like always.

The conversation hadn’t even been long but it had been stuck inside Jae Hyun’s head all night and day.

“So, J, have you thought about what I said last time we met?”

“Dr. D, I think you’re going to have to tell me what you’re planning because an psychiatric hospital? I’m truly more confused than the last time we met.”

“Hmm. You know, if you pay attention closely to the records and history of this place, you’ll find your hint. Same with the bank. Like I said, dig deep. Go further than scraping the surface. I know you’re smart, J, you’ve shown me that which is why I trust you will be able to solve this.”

And then the villain had disappeared without a trace.

And Jae Hyun just couldn’t understand, what did he mean by that? Dig deep. Go further. That was all he could hear in his head.

“Hey Jae Hyun!”

His head snapped up, eyes going wide instantly in reflex as he tensed up. Until he saw it was only Gong Myung approaching him - with now a confused stare because of his reaction - and Jae Hyun's shoulders slouched down and he sighed.

“Hey, Gong Myung.” Jae Hyun mumbled, forcing himself to look back up and smile.

“Okay, I know we’ve only been talking for a week or so, and I don’t know you all to well, but dude, are you okay? Because, no offense, you look awful.”

Jae Hyun snorted. “Yeah. No offense taken; I looked at myself in the mirror this morning and jumped thinking I was staring at a monster.”

“So, are you going to tell me what’s wrong? Or is it too personal?”

Jae Hyun looked up at the older guy once again. He still found it so funny how he had known Do Young for ages, but only recently got close to him, whereas with Gong Myung, his brother -- he had only known him for two weeks at most and they were already at a stage where they not only greeted each other whenever they walked past each other in the hall, but they were even able to ask each other if something was wrong.

“It’s just an assignment for one of my criminology classes,” Jae Hyun responded, not finding a better answer for what he was going through, “I have to solve this crime with all these clues and answers, but I don’t even know what the problem is. How am I supposed to find a solution to a problem I don’t even know? And Doctor De -- Uh, Dr. Lee, my professor, isn’t helping either. All he says is ‘Dig deep, go further, dig deep, go further,’ and it is driving me crazy honestly.”

Jae Hyun hadn’t realized how long his rant had been until he saw the frown etched on the older’s face.

“I’m sorry, we just met and I’m already dumping all of my problems on you.” Jae Hyun was quick to apologize.

Gong Myung immediately shook his head. “No, don’t worry about it. One of my jobs as a TA is to help students, so don’t feel bad for telling me your problems. Actually, it’s best to let them out instead of having them build up inside of you. Makes you feel better.”

“Sounds like something my friend Yuta would say.” Jae Hyun smiled, thinking about his older friend who had a knack for saying the most philosophical things even when not needed.

“Well, this Yuta guy must be wise.”

“Oh he sure is.”

“Well,” Gong Myung said as he stopped walking and turned to face Jae Hyun, “I don’t know much about the case you’re trying to solve, but perhaps look at the situation differently? Maybe you keep looking in one place when you should look in another. Take a step back, observe the situation, explore it a bit and maybe familiarize yourself with it, and maybe you’ll find the problem. And if you find the problem, you’ll find the solution.”

Jae Hyun nodded slowly as the words settled in his head. And suddenly an idea snapped. “Oh! I think I know what I need to do!”

Gong Myung nodded, sending him a smile. “Well, then I’m glad I could help. Now, if you’ll excuse me, the professor asked me to print some handouts before class.”

Jae Hyun nodded and waved goodbye to the older and watched him walk away before turning around and getting ready to head out, when he came face to face with his assignment partner.

“The library is that way.” Do Young said as he pointed in the direction behind Jae Hyun.

Jae Hyun took a step back in reflex due to the close proximity, but the older seemed unaffected and stared at him blankly, waiting for his response.

“Oh.” Jae Hyun's eyes fell when he realized. “We have a meeting today. I forgot we changed the schedule.”

Do Young hummed, not too interested in Jae Hyun’s words. “So, why were you talking to my brother?”

“I was just telling him about some problems I had and he gave me some advice.” Jae Hyun responded thoughtlessly.

Do young nodded slowly before humming once again. He scanned Jae Hyun’s face. “Okay. Anyway, I think we should head to the library now.”

“Yeah." Jae Hyun's response came out short and awkward. He turned around and the two began to head over to the library in an uncomfortable silence. That was, until Do Young spoke up once again.

“So, you and my brother are close now, huh?”

Jae Hyun looked back at Do Young, eyebrows raised in confusion. “Uh, no, not really. I mean, I guess we’ve become friends over the past week, but I wouldn’t say we’re close.”

“He’s like that: kind to everyone and anyone he meets.” Doyoung’s tone sounded rather harsh for a compliment but Jaehyun didn’t read into it too much. Lately, he’d been reading into things too much.

“Yeah, you’re really lucky to have an amazing brother like him.” Jaehyun responded, sounding a bit dejected but not sure whether it was from the lack of sleep or knowing he’s just like anyone else in Gong Myung’s eyes.

“Hold on, let me get the door for you,” Jaehyun abruptly said and opened the door for Doyoung.

Doyoung took a large step back, being scared that he was going to be hit by the large mahogany door. Jaehyun softly chuckled at his reaction.

“Sorry I scared you, but you do know the door opens the other way right? I’d assume a person who frequents the library like you would know which way the door opens.” Jaehyun said having his hand cover his small smile.

Doyoung rolled his eyes but nonetheless held a small smile on his face. “Let’s sit over there.” He said to Jaehyun as he pointed to a table near a large window. Jaehyun only nodded and followed Doyoung, completely forgetting that the door would make a loud thud if it were to be left to close on its own. Doyoung set down his backpack in the empty chair and took out a slip of paper from the front pocket. “Jaehyun, I need you to get these-”

THUD!

Jaehyun swore every breathing soul in the library turned to see who was the last person to enter the room and it was none other than himself: Jaehyun, who stood awkwardly still on his way to Doyoung.

“-books. Oh my gosh.” Doyoung mouthed and facepalmed.

Students shook their heads in disapproval; the librarian and her assistant pointed to the sign next to the door (which read, ‘Carefully and quietly close the door when you enter and exit the library to provide the best environment for your fellow peers’), and Doyoung kept on facepalming. Jaehyun nervously laughed (as quietly as he could) and bowed. He fast-walked to the table Doyoung was at and bit his lip out of embarrassment as he took his seat.

“I don’t know you.” Doyoung deadpanned.

“What do you mean? I’m Jaehyun, your partner, classmate, and friend.” In his mind the word friend rolled out a lot more natural but in real life it came out sounding too lopsided for his liking.

“You are not my friend.” Obviously he was joking.

“Why was the little strawberry crying, Doyoung?” Jaehyun asked with a teasing grin on his face as he leaned in closer, well aware that Doyoung knew the answer.

“His mom was in a jam.” Doyoung answered with a large grin on his face. Though it was a messed up thing to laugh at, Doyoung really enjoyed corny jokes. “God damn it!”

Doyoung’s loud laughter filled the large, quiet library. He laughed so hard he snorted and couldn’t breath as he banged on the table; Jaehyun soon joining in laughing at the older's laugh.

It wasn’t even a minute later that they got kicked out of the library for being so loud. They weren’t even given a second chance (most likely because the librarian was already annoyed with Jaehyun).

“Well, great now where do we go? We need some more books.” Doyoung asked as he adjusted his backpacks strap.

 


 

“Kitty Book Time? Seriously?” Doyoung deadpanned, not wanting to believe this was the place Jaehyun decided to take him to.

“Don’t judge a book by its cover, alright.” Jaehyun responded and opened the door for Doyoung who sighed heavily and walked inside with no expectations. The shop’s interior was -- very unique to say the least. It was kitten themed as the name implied; bean bags were chairs, tinsel hung from the ceiling, and there were one too many of those 'hang in there' kitty posters for Doyoung's liking.

“How can I not when it looks like-” Doyoung looked around disgusted. “-This?”

“Oh stop,” Jaehyun said as he took hold of Doyoung’s wrist and dragged him further inside where they would be able to find the books. “I’m sure we’ll be able to find some books.”

“Okay, fine,” Doyoung sighed once again, eyes flickering down to Jaehyun’s hand that remained on his wrist. “Can you let go off me so I can start looking?”

“Oh, right.” Jaehyun mumbled as he quickly let go off Doyoung, instantly feelings the tips of his ears go red in embarrassment.

Doyoung hummed as he began to look around for some books they could use for their project. Meanwhile, Jaehyun glanced back at the section of the shop where they could order some drinks.

“I’m going to get myself some milk tea. Do you want anything?”

“A black iced coffee will do. I need the energy.”

Jaehyun frowned at the order as he walked over to the counter.

“I’d like a small- Doyoung! What size do you want?!” Jaehyun said as clear as he could without being too loud.

“A large please.” Is all Doyoung said before going back to gaze through the aisles.

“A small milk tea and a large black iced coffee please.” Jaehyun told the lady at the counter.

The lady tapped the order into the monitor and Jaehyun took out his card to pay. While waiting for his order he sat at one of the regular-looking chairs and began to look around.

'Maybe I should search a bit while I wait for our order. I wonder what Doyoung’s doing.' Jaehyun thought as he softly tapped his fingers on the wooden table. He then got up and browsed through the areas Doyoung had been earlier.

“Order: milk tea and black iced coffee!” The lady hollered and placed the two cups on the counter with napkins. Jaehyun stood up from his seat and got the drinks, giving the young lady a warm smile as he walked by. He looked around for a raven haired boy but he was nowhere to be seen and Jaehyun assumed he was sitting on the floor reading somewhere.

“He’ll come when he wants his coffee.” Jaehyun mumbled to himself and set the two cups down on the table that could only hold so much before collapsing. Jaehyun stuck his straw in the cup and took a sip; mental note “thank the lady for making some good milk tea”.

As Jaehyun sat and drank, he began to think. He thought about the assignment, he thought about Doctor Death, and he thought about his powers. 'I wonder how other superheroes handle their powers. Do they handle them with greed or with respect?' And that one question led Jaehyun to the comics section of the shop.

“Captain America Comics #1, this cover is very... Artistic.” Jaehyun spoke to himself as he scanned through the pages of the book. He returned to the small table with an armful of comics: all of them related to Captain America.

“Hey Jaehyun, where’s my coff- Why do you have a bunch of comic books?”

Jaehyun looked up, eyes widening as if he had been caught doing something wrong. “Uh, right there,” he said, gesturing towards the dark drink. “And, uh, research?”

“Research?” Doyoung quirked an eyebrow. “Nerd.”

The two boys remained quiet for a few seconds before a smile broke out on Jaehyun’s face as soon as he realized Doyoung was joking, and the older sat across from him with a grin on his face as well.

“You know, my cousin would really love this cat-themed place,” Doyoung said before taking a sip of his drink.

“Oh, really? How old is your cousin?” Jae Hyun asked.

“Nineteen.”

Jaehyun’s eyebrows raised, wondering if it was another joke before he realized: Doyoung was completely serious. “Oh.”

“Yeah, he loves cats and has like three of them, but he’s allergic.”

“I’d like to meet your cousin,” Jaehyun said, another smile on his face.

“Well, you’ve already met my brother, why don’t you just meet my entire family at this point?”

Jaehyun knew it was a joke because when he looked up, Doyoung was smiling as he flipped through the pages of a random book. But for some reason, the suggestion still made his ears burn.

Doyoung opened his mouth to say something else, but before he could his phone began to ring -- and Jaehyun seriously had to wonder why every single time the two went out together, a phone call had to interrupt things.

Jaehyun’s eyes instantly flickered down to the phone which Doyoung was staring at with a frown, before they looked back up at him. It seemed like the older was reluctant on answering the phone before he sighed and picked it up.

“Yes, Jungwoo?”

There was silence. And then Doyoung’s eyes closed and he nodded as he listened along. “Alright, just don’t do anything and I’ll be there soon… Don’t thank me until the work is done. Bye.”

Doyoung turned off his phone and stuffed it into his pocket before he looked back up at Jaehyun. He bit his bottom lip, not knowing what to say.

“Go, I understand,” Jaehyun said, head nudging in the direction of the door. “It wouldn’t be the first time.”

“I’m really sorry.” Doyoung said, but Jaehyun didn’t respond. And he watched the other head out before he sighed and rested his head on the table. Why was Doyoung always running out? And who was this Jungwoo that made him run every time he called?

 


 

Jaehyun had been walking back home with his backpack swung over his shoulder, a bag filled with comics in hand, and a deflated look on his face -- when a call came in.

“Hello?” He asked, tired as can be, as he put his earpiece in.

“Where are you?” Johnny’s voice came through.

“I’m heading home. Why? Does Taeyong want me to pick up milk on the way aga--”

“Forget milk, Doctor Death is attacking again.”

“What?! Where is he now?!” Jaehyun practically yelled as he stopped in the middle of the empty street.

“You know Yuta’s university? He’s there.”

“Is Yuta there?” Jaehyun asked, already turning to head in the opposite direction.

“Yes, he said it’s crazy out there. You might want to use your super speed for this one. Do you have your board and suit?”

“Always.”

And like that, Jaehyun ran into an alleyway, set his backpack and bag down, put his suit on, and ran off.

He ran and ran, getting tired here and there, until he took out his board when he was closer to the university, and rode to his destination.

“Ah, my dear nemesis, Cap, you decided to show up,” Doctor Death said as he paused his attack.

“Of course. It’s my duty, Dr. D.” Captain J responded.

“Always so dutiful,” Doctor Death said with a smile. “Well then, let’s get started shall we?”

And with no more words spoken, Doctor Death pulled his hands up and as he brought them down, the substance around his wrists formed into some sort of purple magic shields with a green tint floating around.

“I have to say,” Jaehyun started as he launched at the villain who managed to escape his attack, “I never expected you to attack a university. A psychiatry hospital was crazy enough, but I just assumed it was because you are crazy. But this? You blow my mind away.”

“Don’t judge a book by it’s cover, J.” Doctor Death said.

Jaehyun momentarily froze when he heard the words, remembering his meeting with Doyoung earlier that day when he said those--

Swoosh!

While Jaehyun had been distracted, Doctor Death had formed some sort of mass of energy ball and was launching it at the hero. With barely any time to react, Jaehyun tried his best to move to the side, but the magical blast still hit the side of his arm and he went flying backwards until he was able to stabilize himself on the board again. But he had flown so far away, he was floating right above the school’s courtyard at the center of the university.

“I can’t believe I actually hit you,” Doctor Death said as he flew over, almost as if he felt bad. “What had you so distracted?”

What did have Jaehyun so distracted? He couldn’t remember anymore.

“Doesn’t matter. What matters is that you’re terrorizing a school and that needs to stop.”

Doctor Death glanced down, looking at the students that surrounded the courtyard -- they all had their phones and were yelling loudly, cheering for Captain J or shouting that someone should do something. “I haven’t hurt anyone, have I?”

Jaehyun scoffed. “You think you have to hurt someone for this to be considered terrorizing?”

Doctor Death hummed in response. “Has anyone told ever told you you’re very valiant before?”

“Has anyone ever told you you’re very devious before?”

“Is being devious such a bad thing if it gets you what you want?”

“It’s immoral.”

And while Captain J and Doctor Death continued their banter above the courthouse, standing on the ground somewhere in the crowd, was Yuta, staring up in amusement.

“Dang, he kind of looks cool fighting up close,” Yuta mumbled to himself as a thought came up to his head, “maybe I should film for Johnny and Taeyong.”

And as he thought, Yuta did. He whipped out his phone and began to record the scene as he narrated what happened up in the air. “And here we have Captain J getting his kicked-- whoops, spoke to soon. He just punched Doctor Death and did a counterattack. Oh no.”

Just as Yuta said that, Doctor Death launched at Captain J and took him all the way down till they landed in the middle of the courtyard, and everyone scooted back in fear they would get hit, while still remaining close to film and witness everything.

“Get him Captain J!” Yuta heard some random guy call from the side.

“Doctor Death for the win!” A girl shouted from the opposite side of the courtyard.

And right at that moment, Jaehyun flipped their position and got ready to throw a fist, but Doctor Death was swift and was able to kick him off, bringing his hands up once again so the magical shields reappeared.

“Oh this is getting intense.” Yuta narrated. “This fight is really close, who knows who will win? Captain J is preparing his board to shield any attack -- Doctor Death is shooting those magic swooshy thingies! Defend yourself Jae - Captain J! Oh wait! Turn of events, Captain J was able to deflect the attacks and just did a super speed thing to throw Doctor Death off.”

Yuta took in a deep breath. Talking this much was tiring him, but it was all so thrilling and exciting; Being able to watch a fight scene like this was truly a ride, and Yuta couldn’t help but wonder what it would be like to be in the fight scene. But he didn’t have much time to think about it because Doctor Death had been able to make another attack on Captain J and successfully pinned him down to the ground.

“Oh my -- he has him,” Yuta mumbled as he zoomed in on the scene to get a closer look. But when he zoomed in, something wasn’t right. Jaehyun was breathing heavily, looking as if he was just waiting for Doctor Death to do something, but the villain was preoccupied with something else.

Doctor Death was scanning the area -- The crowd. For someone?

“What?” Yuta asked as he zoomed out and looked in the direction the villain was staring at. And there he saw it.

Yuta gasped. He blinked. And the sight was gone.

But he was so sure he had seen someone walking through the crowd, giving an ‘okay’ sign before signaling to leave. And when Yuta turned back to Doctor Death, it was subtle, but it was there - clear as day - a slight nod.

And then the villain looked back down at a hero, smiled and said something that no one else but Jaehyun would hear, and pushed himself off before disappearing as if that was his cue to go.

 

--

 

Me, looking up the comic Nae used: Which one is it?

Nae: The one with the nazis on the cover.

 

This is like 1/4? 1/5? We're still typing up the final chapters to the arc, but we are mad excited. I'm still busy, sadly, but typing up these chapters is coming so easily. I think it's been like a week since we last updated? I'm not sure, but we wanted to get a chapter before Nae's birthday. And yes, we will updated on her birthday next week. Happy birthday to Haechan and Taeil, we love them very much. Don't Need Your Love was amazing, and continue streaming and supporting all WayV, Dream, and 127 releases!

(sidenote: I just realized all of our extras are YuJae being dumb together??)

Also, the title of the chapter is because of a reference in this chapter to the title of the first chapter ;)

-J

 

If you have made a renvy AU please leave it in the comments or message me. I repeat, if you have made a renvy AU please leave it in the comments or message me. HRVY is my bias. Happy birthday Taeil and Fullsun! Also, y'all better be ready for some more dojae because that's all y'all will be getting.

~Nae

(I promise, she doesn't actually mean that -J)

 

 

Extra:

It was late at night when Yuta and Jaehyun were walking around the empty street, the flashlights on their phones as they searched through every single alley they passed by.

"Seriously, Jaehyun? Why did you think it was a good idea to leave your things unattended here?" Yuta asked as he flashed the light behind a trashcan.

"Spider-Man does it," Jaehyun responded with a pout.

"First, he got his backpack stolen. Second, you're not Spider-Man."

"Whatever, just keep looking. I'm sure they're somewhere around- oh!"

Yuta turned around to see that Jaehyun was bending down by his things behind some random trash bin, further into the alleyway. "That is literally disgusting." Yuta gagged when Jaehyun picked up his smelly backpack and swung it over his shoulder before he reached down once again to grab the bag with comics.

"I need a raise." Jaehyun grumbled, annoyed that he had to leave his things unattended to go fight Doctor Death earlier that day.

"We don't get paid."