Chapter 8 - Revelations

From red to black then baby blue

Chapter 8

 

Jongin cursed himself for returning back to her house.

 

Three days had passed since he had said his goodbyes to so Hee . He couldn’t stop thinking about his Wife. His last words had lingered in his mind.

 

He wanted to try and convince her one last time.

 

What’s the harm in trying?

 

Just you breaking your heart even more. A small voice nagged him.

 

Taking in a deep breath he pressed the doorbell.

 

He could hear shuffling as someone answered the door.

 

As the door opened jongins planned speech replayed in his mind.

 

What he wasn’t expecting was a young man that was shirtless to open the door.

 

“Yes? “

 

The man asked leaning against the door frame.

 

“Where’s So Hee? “

 

Jongin asked the man.

 

“Who are you to care? Wait a minute… you’re her useless excuse of a Husband. Well ex Husband.”

 

He scoffed folding his arms.

 

“Why would you care where she is? “

 

Jongins fist clenched but he remembered that he wasn’t entitled to do so.

 

Just as he was about to ask who the guy was he remembered that the house belonged to her Cousin.

 

“Kim minhyuk? “

 

He questioned.

 

The said man rolled his eyes, not answering.

 

“Is so Hee at home? “

 

Jongin asked carefully.

 

“No.”

 

Minhyuk replied looking at his nails.

 

“Where is she? “

 

Jongin pushed.

 

“She could be in Russia for all you care. She’s not here so stop bothering me.”

 

He threatened before slamming the door in jongins face.

 

So Hee was gone.

 

——————————————-

 

Jongin was back at square one.

 

He had no idea where his Wife was. She could really be in Russia.

 

He sat at his desk staring at the same document for the last hour.

 

His new sectary sat on the sofa sorting out what he had missed during his month off.

 

He had learnt his lesson and hired a male this time.

 

Jongin sighed

 

It was his first day back at work. He hadn’t seen or heard from so Hee for three weeks.

 

Suddenly his phone rang.

 

Not looking at the number he placed the phone to his ear.

 

“Kim Jongin speaking.”

 

He mumbled.

 

“Mr Kim your Son has been admitted to the hospital. He has a high fever and his Mother is uncontactable. Could you please come down to XX hospital.”

 

Jongin furrowed his brows.

 

Son? he didn’t have a Son?

 

“I think you have the wrong number. What’s the child’s name? “

 

“Kim Jun Heon.”

 

Well the surname was correct but let’s be realistic 40% of koreans have the last name Kim.

 

“What’s the mother’s name? “

 

He questioned.

 

“Yoon So Hee.”

 

Jongin froze.

 

Why were they calling him if so hees Son was sick? Shouldn’t they call his Father. But he is listed as the Father. Unless…

 

Jongins eyes widened.

 

He quickly thanked the nurse saying that he would be there ASAP.

 

Grabbing his coat, Jongin shouted for his sectary to get the car ready. He was not going to be able to run in such a state of shock.

 

——————————

 

Running into the emergency room, Jongin rushed to the counter.

 

“My Son was admitted with a high fever. Kim Jun Heon.”

 

The nurse nodded before guiding him towards the bed .

 

There on the bed lay Beom, so hees Son .

 

The child was bawling from the discomfort he was feeling. By his side was a middle-aged lady trying to calm the child down.

 

Beom was his, Jun Heon was his baby.

 

Jongin didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. As another wail sounded he knew the child needed comforting.

 

Bowing slightly to the middle aged lady he asked what had happened.

 

Beom had suddenly realised jongins presence and was reaching his arms out.

 

With shaking hands Jongin carried the little boy.

 

His whole body was shaking, he held the baby ten times gentler. and rocking the child as he pressed a light kiss onto the baby’s head. Causing his cries to quieten slightly.

 

The middle-aged lady told him that so Hee had gone out for a job interview today and had asked her to look after the baby. However, that afternoon he was having a high fever that was dangerous to babies. At a loss she tried to call so Hee but to no avail. She decided to bring the baby to the hospital where they decided to contact Jongin who was listed under ‘Father’.

 

Jongin sat on another chair near the bed and continued to rock the baby.

 

Staring at the tiny human he saw the similarities in their features.

 

Beom had his large brown eyes.

 

Jongin smiled at the child, pressing another kiss onto his face . He couldn’t believe it, he was a Father. The baby cuddled closer into his arms closing his eyes .

 

The thing in his arms belonged to him. The child he has slowly fallen in love a few weeks ago was actually his. The realisation of all the moments he has missed from the child’s life crosses his mind. He was such a bad person. Tears formed in his eyes Jongin felt so guilty.

 

“Hey baby it’s daddy.”

 

He mumbled softly as a few tears traced his cheeks .

 

“Hey baby I’m sorry to you too.”

 

He the child’s head as he fell asleep.

 

His heart broke slightly seeing his child in so much pain.

 

Suddenly a nurse arrived to apply a cooling patch onto the child’s head.

 

“Sorry sir but I need you to fill in some paperwork.”

 

Jongin nodded following the nurse. After filling up the forms the best he could, he made a quick trip to the toilet .

 

Returning to the bed the daycare lady said she had to leave. Jongin nodded, retaking his seat next to Jun Heon.

 

Recalling the name he remembered telling so Hee that he always wanted to name his son that. He couldn’t believe she had actually done so.

 

An hour passed and the baby was (thankfully) still asleep. The nurse had said that beoms fever had improved. Jongin was relieved that the baby was getting better. To pass time he had replied to a few emails.

 

Suddenly he heard a flurry of footsteps enter the emergency room. Looking up he saw so Hee running in.

 

The nurse pointed in jongins direction. So Hee didn’t care she ran towards the bed where her Son lay sleeping.

 

She was a mess, tears streaming down her face messing up her make up.

 

Reaching out to touch her child so Hee sobbed. Her precious baby was in so much pain.

 

“He’s much better now.”

 

Jongin commented .

 

So Hee nodded.

 

Jongin wanted an explanation but be knew today wasn’t the best time to have a chat with So Hee.

 

Remembering how uncomfortable she was when they last met, Jongin stood up getting ready to leave.

 

“I’ll leave first. Inform me when Beom gets better. “

 

He told so Hee as he bowed slightly.

 

“Jongin, let’s talk.”

 

———————————-

 

After requesting for a nurse to look after the baby while they talk, the couple silently made their way to the rooftop.

 

Taking a seat on a bench, neither uttered a word .

 

So Hee sighed.

 

“Beom is your baby.”

 

“I know.”

 

Jongin replied.

 

“I should have told you sooner but I assumed you knew. When I saw you at the supermarket, I thought you were going to fight for his custody. I was so scared because I didn’t have a job and I would have lost the baby. When you said that you haven’t signed the papers I was slightly happy, you couldn’t take the baby from me. “

 

So Hee sniffled.

 

“After you visited me I realised that you didn’t know Beom was your baby. I thought it was pretty obvious. The eyes and all. But you were oblivious.”

 

She chuckled slightly while Jongin remained silent.

 

“I decided to tease you a bit not telling you the baby’s real name. If not you would have known he was yours.”

 

“I was going to run away. Live in some rural countryside house. Just me and Beom. But I didn’t have the money and you came back for me again. “

 

 

“Since there’s no third party involved why aren’t you coming back to me?”

 

Jongin questioned.

 

“Being pregnant was difficult. All the throwing up, crazy cravings and sleepless nights.Being alone during such a tough time was depressing.”

 

“I hate you Jong In. For breaking my heart over and over again. Being oblivious towards your assistant seducing you. Leaving me on that stupid bench in the middle of winter while you were partying. I was an emotional wreck. A week after I left I found out I was 2 months pregnant.”

 

“You hurt me so much. I tolerated you and that stupid Hana for one year. It was so painful seeing the man you loved stray so far away.”

 

She sighed.

 

“I hate you Kim Jong In.”

 

She sobbed, her mind falling back into the never-ending pit of insanity. She hated him so much.

 

Jongin took in a deep breath, the severity of the situation pierced his heart.

 

Her hands reached out for his face, her soft hands cupped his cheeks. Her thumbs slowly his cheeks as she stared into his eyes. A small sad smile graced her lips as she mumbled.

 

“But why does my heart still beat so fast for you.”

 

Taking in a deep breath she whispered.

 

 “I hate you Kim Jong In. So so much.”

 

That was when Jongin realised the pain he had caused his wife. He wanted to turn back time and undo all his wrongs. He stared at her eyes they were so void that a shiver went down his spine.  Jongin hated himself, it was all beacuse of him.

She was so broken.