Chapter 4

Rewrite the Stars

The days past quicky for Yongsun. She has been splitting her time between filming "We Got Married" and Mamamoo's activities and during those times she noticed that Byul was somewhat avoiding her. It wasn't that noticeable at first glance, but it was enough for their maknaes to notice.

They we’re on their lunch break and their manager just left to get food for the four women when Hyejin sat next to her with a concerned look.

“Unnie?” she started and looked back at Byul and Wheein who was messing around at the center of the practice room before continuing. “Did you and Byulie unnie had a fight?”

The singer was taken a back at that question. It wasn’t a secret that the two older women would often fight but years of experience taught the younger ones to just wait until their unnies calm down and stop fighting.

I guess we were more obvious than I thought. She sighed and gave a somewhat reassuring smile to their youngest.

“We did,” she stated, “but we already worked it out.” She didn’t know who she was trying to convince, herself or Hyejin.

“Then why do you look so awkward together? Even Byulie unnie is acting strange since she came back.”

So, it wasn’t just my imagination. Yongsun thought forlornly and stared at the floor. Maybe she’s still a bit mad at me? But I don’t get it, she says we’re both okay so why?

The singer groaned and kept her head down. She can’t answer their maknae’s questions since she doesn’t know it herself.

To say that she didn’t notice the change between them was a lie. Of course, she noticed it straight away, but she was too scared to acknowledge it. She was too scared to talk to her best friend and she doesn’t know why.

But you do know why, and you just won’t admit it. The voice at the back of her head replied which caused the singer to take a deep breath.

No, you’re wrong. There is no way that that’s the reason so shut up!

After calming herself down she looked at Hyejin who was still staring at her and smiled.

“Don’t worry Hyejinie,” she said, “I’ll talk to her, okay? I’m sorry for worrying you.”

“FOOD!”

They were interrupted when they heard Wheein’s shout of joy. They looked towards the door and saw the young woman eagerly approaching their manager who was carrying their lunch. They glanced at each other and Yongsun nodded to let Hyejin know that she’ll keep her word and talk to Byul in which the younger woman smiled.

“Ya! Jung Wheein don’t hog all the food!” She heard Hyejin yelled at her best friend and run towards her leaving Yongsun alone with her thoughts.

No there must be another reason. There’s no way that Byul’s…

“Earth to Yongsun, do you copy?”

She cut herself off when she heard her name being called and saw Byul holding their lunch box. Her face suddenly felt warm, and she immediately looked away from the other girl.

“Ya! Why’d you do that?!”

“Do what?”

“Y-you, w-well just… nothing!”

She knows she’s not making any sense at the moment but Yongsun doesn’t know what to do. Her heart was beating fast, and she doesn’t understand it.

Sure you do. The voice inside her head popped up again sounding smug.

Shut up will you! She scolded herself for the second time that day and took the food Byul was handing to her.

 “Sorry.” She mumbled to the other girl to which she smiled and walked towards where the other two were already eating.

Yongsun looked at the rappers back wanting to pull her in a room where they could settle things out. Even though they already talked when the rapper got back, she knows the other woman was not being fully truthful that day. She could see it in her eyes, to the way she moves and acts around the singer.

She knows she should have pushed her more that day, but she feared of what will come out of the younger woman’s mouth and so she kept hers shut.

Look how well that turned out huh. The nagging voice cut in again only this time it was much stronger.

The singer shrugged it off and joined her members for lunch. She’ll handle Byul and whatever it is that’s bothering the rapper later. For now, she’ll stack up on food hoping she could get her best friend to talk.

 

“We’re finally done!” Cheered Wheein after a grueling practice day. “I can’t wait to get to my bed.”

“I can’t feel my legs.” The youngest complained while lying on the floor with closed eyes.

“Hyejin-ah do you wanna sleep over?”

“Yes!” The later exclaimed and jumped up, all traces of fatigue gone.

While they were all getting ready to go home and relax, Yongsun was contemplating how to approach Byul.

“You kids better not drink too much tonight okay?” she heard the rappers deep voice which caused the woman to look up.

The other three were almost done packing and was just hanging around to wait for her to finish up. She could tell that the two youngest were about to run to the door as soon as Byul finishes her sentence.

“Yes moooooom.” The two whined together which caused them all to laugh.

“Come on let’s go home. We’ve spent more than enough time in here already, please unnies?” Begged Wheein but before they could agree Yongsun interrupted them.

“You kids can go first. I just have something to check with Byul, okay?”

Wheein was about to question her when Hyejin grabbed her best friend and bid them goodbye. Their youngest was almost dragging the smaller woman out of the room and closed the door behind them.

Silence filled the room as soon as they were the only ones left. Yongsun could see how tense the rapper became, and she knows she’s the same. She cleared to get the other woman’s attention.

Byul turned slowly and looked at her with apprehension but she tried to hide it with a smile.

“What is it unnie?” she said trying to keep her voice cheerful, “is anything wrong?”

Do it. The voice is back in the singer’s head again.

Come on just ask her.

You know the answer anyway.

Do it.

You just need confirmation, right?

She looked at her best friends face for the first time today and she could see how anxious it was. She was still trying to keep the “everything’s fine face” which made Yongsun furious.

“You tell me Byul.” She didn’t mean to snap but she couldn’t take it back now.

“Unnie I don’t…”

“Just tell me!” she yelled, “I know there’s something that your not telling me and I know it’s still about our fight so why don’t you just tell me so we can fix it.”

She heard the other girl sighed and rubbed her head.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Byul muttered slowly, still not giving away what it was that is bothering her.

“We already talked unnie, wasn’t that enough?”

Yongusun couldn’t help but groan at that. She was slowly losing her patience and it was not a good sign. She needed to keep her head if she doesn’t want a repeat of last time. She took a deep breath before continuing.

“It would have been if you said everything that you wanted to say. But it’s clear there’s something else that’s bothering you.” She stated slowly.

“Like I said, there’s nothing…”

“Don’t try to lie to me Byul. I let it go last time because I didn’t want to fight anymore but I think that was my mistake. Just tell me what’s going on.”

She could see that the other woman was slowly breaking. They both know how to push each other’s button but Yongsun has made up her mind.

“We are not leaving here until you tell me what’s going on.”

A few minutes past without a single word. They were just standing in the middle of the practice room when she heard Byul let out a pained laugh.

“You really wanna know what’s wrong with me unnie?”

Yongsun kept quiet. She could see the rapper started shaking but when she moved closer the rapper backed away.

“Byul?”

“What’s wrong is that I’m your friend.” A sob cut off the rest of the rapper’s sentence which caused Yongsun to worry.

She wanted to hold Byul in her arms and hug her as soon as she saw the tears coming down the woman’s face but was rooted in her spot.

“Byul I don’t understand.”

She tried to get closer to her best friend, but the other woman held her at bay.

“I’m your friend Yong. I’m just your friend.” She kept repeating herself before looking at Yongun in the eyes.

“And I’m so stupid to make the biggest mistake of falling in love with my best friend.”