Chapter 3

Rewrite the Stars

The door opened with Byul looking blankly at Yongsun. They stood staring at each other awkwardly before Byul finally let out a sigh and moved aside to let Yongsun in.

Even after coming inside the apartment the tension was still heavy. Both of them hasn't spoken a word and Byul could feel herself wanting to run away as far as possible from the other girl.

Why did I even think allowing her to come here was a good idea?

"Byul I..."

"Unnie please," she interrupted, "I really am tired and I just wanna go to bed. Can we do this tomorrow?"

She knows she's only prolonging the inevitable but right now Byul doesn't care. If she can escape the conversation for as long as possble then she'd do it. Even if it means shutting down her own feelings and locking them deep inside.

"Only if you promise to talk to me tomorrow."

"Yes unnie," she said with a resigned voice, "I promise."

She turned away making her way back to her bedroom when she noticed that the older girl wasn't following.

Crap, I forgot.

She chastised herself and looked back at Yongsun. The other girl was still standing at the same spot in the living room, looking a bit out of place.

The rapper lives in a two-bedroom apartment but they would always sleep in the same room whenever one would sleepover for the night.

But tonight's different. She thought sadly and let out a breath she didn't know she was holding.

"Unnie," she called out, "come on, let's just go to bed."

She motioned to her bedroom and walked inside not waiting for the other girl.

I already gave the invitation, if she doesn't come in then she can sleep in the guest room.

Byul didn't know what was worse. Yongsun sleeping next to her again after a week of fighting or knowing she doesn't want to come near her anymore.

She didn't have to think that long though. Before she knew it she heard the singers footsteps coming towards her.

They dressed for bed silently, neither one wanting to break the silence they found themselves in. They have shared a bed thousands of times before but none like this.

They were only inches apart but Byul felt like they were worlds away. She had her back turned from the other girl and closed her eyes. She held her hands close to her chest and prayed for sleep, but it never came.

She didn't know how long they laid like that, but she was caught off guard when she heard the soft voice of Yong calling her.

"Byul-ah?"

She didn't know how but the rapper somehow stoped herself from turning around. She laid completely still and pretended to sleep hoping the singer would give up.

She heard a quiet sigh from Yong before a quiet "goodnight" was heard.

 

Byul was woken up by loud banging from outside. She tried to remember what or who could be making so much noise in the early hours of the morning when it came back to her.

Yongsun!

She let out a groan and hid under her blanket.

I am not looking forward to this.

Byul thought bitterly while looking back on how she spent the past week. She told everyone that she was going home to her parents’ house to spend her day off but what they didn't know was that she was still very much in Seoul.

The rapper went through all the trouble to hide from everyone she knows while nursing her broken heart. She knows nothing would come of these feelings she found herself having for the older woman, that their profession and society would not allow it but still, she can't stop the fact that what she feels for their leader is real.

If only I knew how to stop myself from falling.

It's not like Byul cares what the media thinks of herself, if she did, she would have left the industry a long time ago. No, she doesn't care about what it could mean for her image if people found out that she liked girls.

Most of our moomoos are already thinking it. Besides, I don't think they'd mind it that much.

The thought brought a smile to her face. No, she wasn't worried about any of that. What she was most worried about is making Yongsun uncomfortable if she did find out about it. She does not want anything to change between them. She knows she cannot have Yongsun as a lover, so she'll settle for the best friend role.

Out of all the people I could fall in love with I had to fall for the straight girl.

She rolled out of bed and decided she has spent enough time hiding. The rapper composed herself before going out of the room to face reality. She quietly made her way to the kitchen. She could hear whispered curses being said and she couldn't help but smile.

The sight that greeted the rapper in her kitchen was enough to ease the pain in her heart. There she saw the singer making breakfast in what she could only described as chaos. There was oil all over her counter and milk cartoons on the table and at the center of it all was Yongsun.

The older woman was still dressed in her pajama from last night and had her hair up in a messy bun. Honestly Byul could look at her forever and not get tired of it. Before she could get lost in thoughts though, Byul knows she should let herself be known.

"Are you trying to burn down my house unnie?"

Byul let out a chuckle when she saw the older girl flinched and let out a surprised yell.

"Byul-ah! You're awake!" she stammered, "I-I was going to wake you up when breakfast is ready."

She looked at the older woman carefully, wanting to paint the picture in her mind to keep forever.

If I can't be there for you as a lover then I'll be there for you as your friend.

She kept saying the mantra over and over in her head as thought saying it would lessen the pain in her heart. In the past week, Byul decided she would let go of her emotions and support Yongsun without complaints. Even if it means seeing her with another guy.

"Byul?", she was brought out of her musing when she heard her name being called.

"Sorry unnie. I guess I'm still half asleep." She lied and walked towards the older girl.

"Byul I wanted to..." she cut off the older girl by hugging her lightly.

"I'm sorry unnie." she started, "I shouldn't have been an idiot and made you mad."

She felt the warm arms of the singer wrap around her in an embrace and she buried her face in the crook of Yongsun's neck. She felt gentle hands stoking her head and it made her want to cry but she held it down.

"Hey, I'm supposed to be the one saying sorry." she heard the singer say in a soft voice, "I shouldn't have taken out my frustrations on you Byul. There must be a reason why you're so adamant on not going to the show. It might have made you uncomfortable and I'm sorry for pushing you into it."

"Don't worry about it unnie." she said and swallowed all the other things she wanted to say to the other girl, "if you really wanna make it up to me then buy me dinner."

She heard Yongsun laugh and broke out of the hug. Looking at her eyes, she could tell that the singer wanted to continue talking but hesitated. There was no doubt in the rapper's mind that this was far from over. She knew how the other girl is when it comes to these things and she knows this will not be the last time they would talk, but right now she'll take the reprieve.

Maybe she doesn't want to start a new fight after we just made up. Thank god!

Byul silently thanked her lucky stars for that.

"Yah, I'm already cooking you food!" the older girl shoved her a bit, “This is my peace offering."

"You better not poison me unnie."

Byul knows her troubles are just beginning but for now she's going to take what she has and think about what she'll do another day. For now, she's going to pretend that everything's fine and nothing's changed. She could only hope for the best afterall.