Chapter 20

A Jump in Time

It was early morning when Chaeyeon and Yena walked towards one of the side doors of the estate, a few maids following right behind them, in their hands bags that contained both medicine for Chaeyeon and some food that would last three days at most, a mercy Official Fujiwara had permitted.

 

[

Chaeyeon walked right behind a maid, her hands grabbing onto the garment that covered her head (and her neck as a result), wondering if it could have been better if she had decided to leave immediately.

 

After hearing Yena's petition (and somewhat agreeing with it), Chaeyeon couldn't help but ask herself a little bit of time to steer herself for such conversation. Hours turned into three days without a talk with the Princess, who hadn't reached out to her either, to both Chaeyeon's relief and disappointment.

 

It wasn't until after those three days that, right after Chaeyeon had gone to her room to spend another sleepless night that she had heard a faint knock on her door acccompanied with a dainty voice.

 

"Lady Chaeyeon?"

 

She had felt some trepidation at being called at such late hour, but, unfortunately, that trepidation turned into dread when she opened the door.

 

"Lady Chaeyeon, Master Fujiwara wishes to speak with you and Lord Yena."

 

What could Chaeyeon do, other than follow the maid?

 

She sighed, lowering her head for a moment, using the cover of her garment to furrow her brows.

 

She was no idiot. If they were being called into Official Fujiwara's presence in the middle of the night, it couldn't be anything good.

 

Was this something that Sakura was aware of? Or… even ordered?

 

No, that wasn't possible. Regardless of whatever happened between them, the Princess wouldn't involve other people in their disagreements.

 

Although she wished to distract herself, there was no other variables to think of. The only reason they would be called to Official Fujiwara's presence right after the sun has already set has to do only with Yena and her - their social class, to be more accurate.

 

The only thing that worried her now was that Fujiwara would be as harsh and vengeful as Prince Tomiyasu.

 

Yena was already outside the hall that the maid had led her to, his expression filled with confusion and a grim suspicion. He opened his mouth, ready to ask what he probably knew, but there was no time, as the maid that had been accompanying Yena opened the door to the hall.

 

Yena straightened his back suddenly, his face a poor attempt to hide his emotions.

 

There was Master Fujiwara, sitting down on a cushion, his face sporting a serene smile, one that he must have rehearsed a thousand times.

 

"Lord Yena, Lady Chaeyeon, I bide you a wonderful evening."

 

"I bide Official Fujiwara a wonderful evening," Yena answered, his expression still bewildered.

 

"Please, take a seat. It would be but a terrible thing to put a guest in an uncomfortable position."

 

After both took a seat, Master Fujiwara moved his hand, flicking his robes, signaling for all servants to leave.

 

"I apologize for not having time to truly entertain you. As the Princess' dear guests, the Fujiwara residence might not have felt warmly welcoming." His words were apologetic, but when Master Fujiwara did not move at all, neither in a bow, nor in any other type of penance, Chaeyeon could tell this was all but a performance.

 

"It is alright. I understand our arrival must have been out of nowhere," Yena answered, his formal talk mixing with casual phrases, making Chaeyeon cringe internally.

 

The patriarch nodded, as if satisfied with the answer.

 

"Our Fujiwara family are glad to receive guests, especially those who are the Princess' friends." He cleared his throat. "Although, of course, I must confess my surprise at seeing the Princess arrive with guests." Moving his back a bit forward, he continued. "The Princess is someone that, although regal and quite talented, has always been one to prefer the solitude of her chamber. As her uncle, I am relieved to see a youth so entranced by knowledge and art that I have never resented such an attitude. As such, I believe that whoever could truly gain the Princess' trust and sincere friendship must be an extraordinary person."

 

Yena was quiet for a moment. His hand searched for Chaeyeon's leg, as if looking for reassurance, but without a possibility of finding it without turning around, he stopped, choosing to answer, "Such a word to describe my sister and I would be a disservice to the word."

 

Master Fujiwara smiled softly, but did not contradict Yena's words. Instead, he turned to look at Chaeyeon. "Since we have been so thoroughly discorteous in welcoming Lord Yena and Lady Chaeyeon, I wish for no other mistreatment against you. Should I send for a servant to bring coals into Lady Chaeyeon's chamber? We have been truly ghastly by letting Lady Chaeyeon brave the cold."

 

Both friends froze, understanding he was referring to the way Chaeyeon was covering herself.

 

"We wished not to be a burden," Yena said, his eyes moving to try and gaze at Chaeyeon.

 

"On the contrary, we have burdened Lord Yena with our discorteousness. To have the need to hide herself within an outer layer of the karaginumo, Lady Chaeyeon must be suffering."

 

Chaeyeon debated within herself whether she should go with it or not, but, ultimately, she lowered the garment, placing it around her shoulders.

 

"I apologize for showing Official Fujiwara such an undiginified appearance."

 

Master Fujiwara's expression, which had been composed and complacent until that moment, had contorted into honest shock at the sight of Chaeyeon's neck. However, he put his mask again, a smile appearing on his face.

 

"On the contrary, I apologize for appearing forceful. I would never wish to burden the Princess' dear guests." He turned to look at the books he had at his side. "Although I have been busy with some matters, I have tried my best to continue enjoying the beauty that my contemporaries had written by reading poetry. I had, however, an inkling of curiosity as I read. We have seldom received envoys from Silla. Their poetry is far from the knowledge I have. Lord Yena, could you perhaps recite any poem you find beautiful?"

 

Yena froze, not knowing how to answer. He stammered. "I-I apologize to Official Fujiwara, but none comes to mind."

 

"Is that so?" Master Fujiwara rose an eyebrow, showing mild surprise. "I hope it is not discorteous to ask Lady Chaeyeon for a poem."

 

Although Chaeyeon predicted she would be asked the same question (though, at the same time, she also predicted Official Fujiwara would only talk to Yena), she could not remember a single poem from her schooling years. It's not that she hated literature, but she was far more concentrated on trying to pass math and geography while juggling her job that she truly couldn't remember much of it.

 

She could try to fake it. After all, Master Fujiwara has no knowledge of Korean, so he couldn't possibly know. But what if he asked for a translation? That was bound to make things even messier. At this point, honesty was the best course of action.

 

"Ah… I apologize for lacking imagination." Chaeyeon bowed slightly.

 

"Do not fret, Lady Chaeyeon. Sending for you at such late hour was my lack of thinking," Master Fujiwara said complacently, not seeming a bit disappointed.

 

'Lack of thinking my !' Chaeyeon thought, but said nothing, not knowing how to respond.

 

He turned to look at the books again before turning to look at Yena.

 

"I am afraid the Princess has spent such an enjoyable time that she has forgotten to share the art we write. Could I interest Lord Yena in some verses?"

 

"Uh, yes, I would like to listen."

 

"Excellent." Master Fujiwara's smile widened. He grabbed one of the books, quickly opening it, as if he had bookmarked the poem he had wanted to read.

 

"From the treetops

Come tumbling a cascade of

White threads;

Endlessly does this night pass by,

Or so it seems, does it not?"

 

There was a silence for a moment, until Yena spoke. "Does… does a waterfall make a night seem endless?"

 

"When there is melancholy of the heart, and the waterfall continually flows, just as life continues flowing, as if our time on earth, not particularly mine or anyone's, but humanity's, is endless."

 

Yena nodded, his hands fidgeting.

 

When there was no other words coming from the foreigners, Master Fujiwara closed the book methodically, slowly. He also muttered no other words until the book was already in its original place.

 

"Our time on earth is truly with an end, and, on times where the continuing of life seems inane and filled with suffering, we are reminded of our next life, as well, and how we still live in the neverending cycle of life and death." Master Fujiwara turned to look at the door behind the foreigners. "Though, even in the midst of our wistfulness, we must try to ameliorate the suffering we receive in this life. Wouldn't Lord Yena agree?"

 

Although his words were benign, and, when hearing without a second thought, his tone was pleasant, there was something within Fujiwara's voice that made the hairs on Chaeyeon's neck stand up.

 

"Uh… Y-yes, I agree."

 

Master Fujiwara gave another look at Yena before grabbing another book. "I hope you do not mind my daring in reading another poem."

 

"No, of course not."

 

"Superb." Another wide smile.

 

"Since the Age of Gods

Unchanged are the hues of

Leaves upon the sacred tree:

Eternal glory

Shining forth!"

 

Leaving a small space of silence, but not one long enough to receive an answer or a comment, Master Fujiwara asked, "Have you seen, during your travels on this land, the sacred tree?"

 

"I… am not sure." Yena tried his best not to turn his head to glare someplace else, but it was turning to be difficult. In between the suffocating talk and the sudden expectations to be the only one to speak with the Official, he wished he could just sprint away.

 

"This tree is quite tall, with green, lush leaves, and flowers that bloom in the spring," Master Fujiwara explained, closing the book. "It is a custom to use its branches for ceremonies. There is a story regarding such tree. Could I interest Lord Yena in listening to it?"

 

"Of course."

 

"The god of the storms, Susanoo, and his sister, Amaterasu, the sun goddess, decided to exchange oaths by chewing and spitting out an object that the other carried with themselves. When the exchange had ended, Susanoo declared himself the winner, and in his rage throughout the heavens, Amaterasu had searched for a place to hide, terrified by the actions commited by her brother. Other gods decided to lure her out of the cave she had hid in, as her light was necessary for all life on the land. They made a celebration, where other gods laughed and enjoyed each other's company. Moved by curiosity, she ventured to stare outside, being met with her own image, which was reflected in a sacred mirror perched on the branch of a sacred tree. Entranced by it, she had no resistance to give when Ame no Tajikarao forced the cave open, bathing the land in her light again."

 

"It is an interesting story," Yena exclaimed, his voice muted, though a part of him was honestly entertained by the tale.

 

Master Fujiwara hummed. "It is more so when you think of the need our land has for the sun goddess to shine upon us, when you think that our Imperial House would not be here to guide us, if not for her divine action of giving birth to the Emperor's ancestors." He paused, as if to let his words sink into the foreigners.

 

"I wonder if there is such a origin for the Royal House of Silla."

 

"There is… I think," Yena answered, starting to understanding what Master Fujiwara was doing. It was not the first time he had been told this, or something far more blunt.

 

Master Fujiwara hummed, but there was a long silence afterwards.

 

"Has your stance in our land been peaceful?"

 

"Yes, Official Fujiwara's hospitality has been unlike anything my sister and I have experienced."

 

"It is a relief that you think so despite my absence as a host. However, I am also anxious about your time with Prince Tomiyasu, as I fret at the idea of Lord Yena and Lady Chaeyeon being treated in an undeserving manner."

 

This was it.

 

It was in this moment that Chaeyeon wished she could answer, if anything, to get the very heavy burden on choosing what to say instead of Yena.

 

The young man his lips nervously. "He certainly treated us right, although the times I met the Prince were rare."

 

"Is that so? Was he also an absent host?"

 

Yena nodded slowly. "He was sure busy with other matters."

 

"It is quite a shame that such was his treatment, not to mention shocking, given that Lord Yena and Lady Chaeyeon spent several moons there."

 

Both foreigners froze at his words.

 

"It is even more flabbergasting when I remember the reports that the Prince entrusted someone to steal Princess Rino's belt to cause her harm. Although he was against the idea of entertaining his guests, he was most definitely with much free time." Master Fujiwara turned his head, his expression becoming more impassive and difficult to read, making both foreigners sweat.

 

"How long have Lord Yena and Lady Chaeyeon been away from their land?"

 

Yena stuttered. "P-probably six moons."

 

Master Fujiwara nodded. "Have Lord Yena's parents not fret at the loss of their son? The anguish and fear of being stranded at sea is an event that must have been most terrible."

 

He knew. The jig was up.

 

"It was. We were barely alive when we got to this land."

 

"Wouldn't it be wonderful to see your family, your land, again?"

 

"It would."

 

Master Fujiwara sighed. "It is disheartening to think then, that, since the Princess is leaving to attend important matters right before Lord Yena and Lady Chaeyeon are leaving, there wouldn't be enough time to spend moments with the Princess. I imagine that, as her acquaintances, the Princess might resent the absence."

 

Yena stammered even more, not even knowing what to say to continue the charade that now seemed more ridiculous and mocking than anything.

 

Knowing that their cover was blown, Chaeyeon was the one to answer. it, they were being kicked out, so it didn't matter if she answered. "As it is, I'm grateful for Official Fujiwara and the Princess' hospitality. How could we stay longer?"

 

Fujiwara nodded. "It is then a shame that we will not be hosting Lord Yena and Lady Chaeyeon longer. Might I persuade Lady Chaeyeon to receive some medication from the doctor?"

 

"I wish not to trouble Official Fujiwara with such request."

 

"I would be even more troubled if Lady Chaeyeon didn't receive some relief. After all, it was my oversight as a host to let Lady Chaeyeon suffer such misfortune."

 

Chaeyeon bowed her head slightly. "Then I thank Official Fujiwara for his kindness."

 

Fujiwara's subsequent smile was not kind. "On the contrary, I thank Lord Yena and Lady Chaeyeon for the discreetness I am sure the Lord and Lady have in abundance."

]

 

Despite the myriad of emotions that plagued Chaeyeon in that moment, she felt some sort of relief at being found out by the Fujiwara patriarch. There would be no more charade, no more anxiety over harming Sakura by under-performing.

 

Not having to tell Sakura about their departure.

 

"Hey," Yena whispered. "We're about to get there."

 

This made Chaeyeon perk up. Sure enough, the door was already visible in the distance, making Chaeyeon feel a mix of more relief and regret. They hadn't spent much time there, and yet, she felt like they had spent an eternity there.

 

Is this how the Princess feels when she spends time here?

 

Shaking her head, she mentally chastised herself. There was no point in thinking about the Princess anymore. Their paths were diverging, to never cross again. She would go on with her life as a pampered Princess, and she would get back to her sisters.

 

However, before they crossed the door, she had a sudden idea, making her stop.

 

"What... What happened?" Yena asked, his brow furrowed.

 

"Mina... I need to ask her before we leave," Chaeyeon answered, turning around to face the maids. "Could I ask for a small favor?"

 

One of the maids bowed slightly. "If it's something that is doable, we will do our best." Such words seemed very generous, but when Chaeyeon heard the condition, she knew it was little these maids would acquiesce at this time.

 

"During my travels with Her Grace, I came to cherish the people that accompanied her as well. It might be set in stone that I will never see them again. Could I see Mina before we go?"

 

The maids looked at each other, conflict written on their faces.

 

"Please," Chaeyeon begged. "There will be no other time for me to see her."

 

"My Lady..."

 

"I won't tell her about my and my brother's departure, nor will I talk about anything unsound. I just want to see her."

 

After another moment of silence, the maid that had initially spoken said, "Very well, but I ask Lord Yena and Lady Chaeyeon to be discreet." And then, she gesture for the foreginers to walk in front of them.

 

"Why do you need to talk to Mina?" Yena murmured, not wanting to be heard by anyone else.

 

"Because there are some things I hadn't asked her a few weeks ago."

 

To their relief, the medic attending Mina wasn't there, and the guards that had been at the door had quickly moved when the maids gestured at them.

 

Both foreigners entered the room, their eyes taking time to adjust to the lack of moonlight in the room.

 

"Who's there?" An alert voice resounded inside the room.

 

"It's us," Chaeyeon answered. "Sorry for waking you up."

 

There was a sigh. "It's fine. At least it's you."

 

Finally, Mina was visible to them. She was supporting her body with her right arm.

 

"Are you doing well?"

 

"I'm doing well, don't fret."

 

"Why do you sound so..."

 

Mina sighed again. "There are things afoot that might not be good for the Princess."

 

This alarmed Chaeyeon. "Is she well? What is happening?"

 

Mina smiled, despite herself. "Do not fret, Chaeyeon. The Princess is safe."

 

Chaeyeon searched Mina's expression, but then stopped herself. The Princess was surrounded by guards. Who was going to be able to harm her?

 

"Why are you dressed with your old clothes?"

 

This took Chaeyeon aback. "Uh, we like to sleep in these."

 

The answer seemed strange to Mina, and she expressed that through an eyebrow raise. However, she didn't questioned them about their clothes any further, instead asking, "Why did you come so late?"

 

"I had some doubts about that time when you got injured."

 

Mina's face blanked out. "Ah... Yes."

 

"Have you been able to remember something about that night? Were there any signs about them that you can remember?"

 

"I... I don't. What I told you, that's all that happened."

 

"While you were laying there, did you hear anything? Something?"

 

"No, I was too far from the assassins to hear anything."

 

"Are you sure? Please, try to remember."

 

"I don't remember," Mina snapped, her voice shrill. Then, she lowered her head. "I apologize, trying to think about that night is stressful."

 

"I can understand that, but if you remember something, anything, it could be of help."

 

A myriad of emotions passed through Mina's face, before she settled on a sigh. "I wish I could help, but there is truly nothing I can remember. Maybe it was the pain of the injury, but I started hallucinating, so I can't remember anything about the incident."

 

This made Chaeyeon perk up. "What did you hallucinate?"

 

Mina's frowned. "It was something nonsensical."

 

"I won't judge you if you tell me."

 

There was a moment of silence. "Alright, alright." She breathed deeply."I had seen this... Being. I just heard him say that I wasn't the Princess, and he left."

 

"How did he look like?" Chaeyeon asked hurriedly.

 

Chaeyeon's urgency surprised Mina. "Uh, I-I don't know. They looked normal, I guess."

 

"Didn't he look horrible? Black eyes?"

 

"Uh, no, no. They looked pretty human, with a woman's face. I mean, they were very bright, like they emanated light, but her face was that of a person."

 

The implications of such words made Chaeyeon's head spin.

 

Are there other gods involved in this?

 

"Thank you, this is really helpful."

 

"Really?" Mina arched an eyebrow, surprised at Chaeyeon's acceptance of her words.

 

Chayeon nodded. "Again, thank you."

 

"It is no matter," Mina shook her head. "Was there something else?"

 

Before Chaeyeon could answer, Yena said, "there is this poem that I heard before. Do you know what it means?"

 

Yena recited the poem that Gentarou had said in retaliation to his insults. Chaeyeon was a little surprised that Yena remembered such poem so vividly.

 

Mina furrowed her brow. "If I recall correctly, this poem was written by Emperor Tenmu. It was an allusion to the dreams he used to have. However, depending on the context, one could interpret the poem as a warning about how others would look at you, differing from the way you see yourself."

 

Yena frowned, but nodded nevertheless.

 

"Is it known what dreams did he have?"

 

Mina nodded. "Very vaguely, though. He wasn't wont to talk about them. All it is written is about dreams were he looked at himself through this blurry light, and he saw himself in a poor condition." Mina frowned. "Perhaps those dreams were too far fetched."

 

"Alright, thank you," Yena said, frowning at Mina's words.

 

Knowing that they couldn't overstay, lest they trouble the maids, Chaeyeon said, "That was all we wanted to ask. I hope you can rest."

 

"I hope you have a good journey," Mina answered, her smile as easy as anything.

 

"H-how…?"

 

"I wouldn't be at the Princess' side if I was stupid," Mina pointed out. "But I do know that, perhaps, this is for the best."

 

Although Chaeyeon agreed with Mina's words, they stung, nevertheless. However, instead of expressing such emotion, Chaeyeon nodded, turning to leave.

 

"And thank you, again, for saving me."

 

"I'm happy I could." And that was not a lie.

 

When Chaeyeon opened the door of Mina's quarters, she nodded at the maids, who were unashamedly too close to the door. The maid that apparently was above the others nodded back, saying, "It is time you two continued your trip. The sun is about to rise."

 

"Thank you for your patience," Chaeyeon answered, resuming her walk.

 

"Were you that bothered with Gentarou's poem?" she murmured in Korean.

 

Yena sighed. "I know I wasn't friendly towards him, but who can accept insults just like that?"

 

"Don't think too much about it, then. There's nothing much you can do, anyways. You can't go back to insult, and you can't go back to apologize if you wanted to."

 

Yena nodded. "It wasn't an insult, anyways… it was just like Mina said, a warning."

 

To Chaeyeon's misfortune, Yena didn't speak anymore, making her thoughts deviate to the person she wanted to erase.

 

But it was difficult not to. When Mina mentioned that Sakura was in danger, it made Chaeyeon fret. Even when she had tried to calm herself, it did nothing for the worries that accumulated in her heart. Moreover, she was leaving on an errand, per Official Fujiwara's words. Wouldn't she be in even more danger?

 

Chaeyeon shook her head. No, she wouldn't. This time around, Sakura would probably have a whole group of soldiers protecting her. Her anxiety was unwarranted.

 

Still, her own logical thoughts didn't manage to persuade the emotional part of her brain. She sighed, knowing that she would have to withstand this worry until she forgot about the Princess.

 

When they were right at the estate entrance, the maids opened the doors, letting the foreigners leave. Chaeyeon took another look inside the estate before taking the steps that would finally take her away from here.

 

Almost immediately after they crossed the doorstep, the maids closed the door, doing in such a quiet way that Chaeyeon nor Yena noticed until they stopped far enough to not be heard if they spoke.

 

"Where are we going now?"

 

"I don't know," Chaeyeon answered truthfully. "I wanted to go to Shinfu, but there wasn't a chance to ask where it was, much less after Official Fujiwara kicked us out."

 

"So…"

 

Chaeyeon shrugged. "I guess we'll have to go to a nearby town to ask for directions."

 

"Right, so we're following the main route."

 

"Should we?" Chaeyeon asked hesitantly.

 

"Do you think we could still be pursued?" Yena asked, though his voice was also hesitant.

 

"Maybe. Prince Tomiyasu doesn't seem like someone who can forgive and forget."

 

"I feared as much." Yena sighed. "Well, no matter, we just have to find a river or something and follow the stream."

 

"Is that how you managed to get to that inn?" Chaeyeon asked, remembering their encounter after the danger they were in.

 

"Yup."

 

"Gee, then why was I the one leading?"

 

"Because I am a follower. I'd rather see where my boss would go," Yena said teasingly. Such relaxation was something that Chaeyeon hadn't seen in the past few days, which is why she was able to smile more freely as well.

 

"What? I am your boss now?"

 

"Only when it suits me." Yena winked, making Chaeyeon shake her head.

 

"Damn, what a terrible underling." However, despite the freedom she felt now (or maybe because of it), a twinge of guilt made her turn around to look at the faraway door of the Fujiwara estate.

 

"Are you alright?"

 

Chaeyeon nodded absentmindedly.

 

"We can still go back and figure a way to talk to the Princess."

 

"Why would I do that? Mina is right; this is for the best." Chaeyeon shook her head, and started walking before stopping.

 

"What?" Yena asked in confusion.

 

"I almost forgot to bind again," Chaeyeon answered, taking a bandages for within her garments.

 

"You using the bandages to do that? What about your arms and your neck?"

 

"I brought enough for all things."

 

Yena sighed in relief. "You scared me. I thought you were going to be a dummy."

 

Chaeyeon rolled her eyes. "I wouldn't be that dumb."

 

"You would," Yena countered. "Don't you remember what happened a few months ago?"

 

"But that was only because…" Chaeyeon bit her tongue. Because I wanted to protect the Princess.

 

When Yena saw Chaeyeon's expression, he said, "We should turn back to see the Princess," finality in his tone.

 

"No!" Chaeyeon blurted, surprising even herself. "We shouldn't. This is for the best."

 

"So you've said, many, many times." Yena shook his head. "But fine, since you are so stubborn, you'll have to deal with your own dummy decisions."

 

"Didn't you want to leave, anyway?" Chaeyeon eyed him critically.

 

"I did, but I didn't say you shouldn't at least tell the Princess we were leaving."

 

"We already had this conversation," Chaeyeon said crossly.

 

"And I already told you that it's fine, but that won’t take away your guilt, will it?"

 

This made Chaeyeon's annoyance disappear. "I'm sorry. I know you care about me. But this is my choice." She sighed deeply. "Let's go, then."

 

Their trip towards the nearest town was uneventful, and, contrary to what Chaeyeon expected and hoped for, it was a quiet endeavor. It seemed that even Yena was submerged in his own thoughts. It wasn't until they arrived at the first village they saw that they finally spoke again.

 

"Should we go on or should we stay here for the day?" Chaeyeon asked as she rubbed her hands.

 

"How are your arms? About to fall off?"

 

Chaeyeon stuck out her tongue, though she was happy Yena's words were lighthearted. "They're fine."

 

"Really?" Yena did not believe her, and he had great reasons not to, but Chaeyeon hated such disbelief.

 

"Really."

 

"I'm already tired, though."

 

"You don't think we can find another village later on?"

 

"Before the sun sets? I don't think so."

 

Chaeyeon sighed. "Thought as much. Let's get to it then."

 

Yena did not comment on Chaeyeon's reticence. Rather, he bowed exaggeratedly, saying, "right after you," making Chaeyeon snort.

 

The village was smaller than Chaeyeon and Yena expected.

 

"Should we go on?" Chaeyeon asked.

 

"Maybe someone could give us refuge for the night," Yena answered. When he saw Chaeyeon balk, he added, "You don’t want to?"

 

"It's just… strange."

 

Yena was perplexed, though his expression now showed wariness. "Why? What did you notice?"

 

Chaeyeon shook her head. "It's nothing. I am just not used to the idea of asking someone for a place to stay."

 

"Why? Have you gotten too refined for such arrangements?" Yena's voice became posh, making Chaeyeon hit her.

 

"It's not that. I just… it's not common in my time to do such a thing so freely."

 

"Why not? Are people…"

 

"No, it's just that we are far less trusting of strangers." Chaeyeon shook her head. "And I guess I am also less trusting than that."

 

"Is that also why you were so grumpy when we first met?"

 

"Partially."

 

"Then why were you so grumpy?" Yena was suddenly interested.

 

"That is nothing your nosy self needs to know." Chaeyeon could not, and did not, admit to the true reasons, which, of course, she has always known. Doing so would only make her mind wander again, and she couldn't afford that.

 

Yena raised an eyebrow. "Am I truly nosy, or are you a dummy?"

 

"I am not a dummy."

 

"You kind of are… like an emotional dummy."

 

Chaeyeon huffed, crossing her arms.

 

"But fine, fine, let's get going."

 

Chaeyeon let it pass, grabbing onto Yena's ending of the topic. Instead, she followed Yena, who walked to nearest person they could find.

 

"Excuse me, we are looking for a place to stay," Yena said politely, his smile friendly and affable.

 

The person, an old man who had been closing the door to a pen, looked at them, and, at seeing their nondescript appearance, and their youth, nodded, his voice rough, though not rude. "Of course, though, you should help a little around the house."

 

"Of course, we will," Chaeyeon answered before Yena could talk, then shrugged when Yena gave her a questioning look.

 

"Great, then help me with taking these pieces of wood to the shed over there." Yena nudged Chaeyeon, but the latter ignored him as she tried carrying a few pieces of wood. However, she hissed right when she tried moving her arms to almost cuddle the pieces.

 

"Don't do that," Yena said, distressed, quickly taking the wood that Chaeyeon had tried to carry. The man looked at them, his face betraying curiosity and wariness.

 

"I was injured by an animal," Chaeyeon supplied lamely, uncovering her forearms by pulling her sleeves and some of her bandages. The man looked bewildered, but, seeing that the marks were indeed those of an animal, he relaxed.

 

"Damn. Get inside. You shouldn't be trying to do these things," the man said hurriedly, pushing Chaeyeon forward. "Let's get you something for those wounds."

 

"I'll keep carrying these pieces," Yena supplied as he continued piling wood onto his arms. The man nodded, still leading Chaeyeon into the small house.

 

"Noriko! Come and help this poor man!"

 

"What are you talking about?" The woman walked inside the main room, stopping for a moment when she saw Chaeyeon. "Right, is he a traveler?"

 

"A very lucky traveler. He managed to escape an encounter with a beast."

 

"Is that so? Let me get some water and bandages."

 

Chaeyeon surveyed her surroundings. Although it didn't seem as incipient of a living space as the houses of the people at the inn they had stayed in long ago, it wasn't particularly big either. It seemed that the kitchen was right at the entrance of the house.

 

"Sit down. Meanwhile I'll keep on carrying the wood."

 

Chaeyeon was left alone for a moment. She sighed in relief. After all, they could find a peaceful place to stay. However, even if these moments, she couldn't quite calm down, as there was still the shadow of all of the things that threatened to suffocate her.

 

What were they supposed to do now? They had no directions, no way of knowing where else to go, and, going by the attack that monster unleashed on her, probably no support. He had brought her here, and now he intended to kill her? Or leave her here forever?

 

She shook her head. She couldn't think this way.

 

"Here we are. Uncover your wounds for me, would you?"

 

Chaeyeon did as asked wordlessly. Even when she felt the sting of the water on her wounds, she said nothing. It wasn't until the old woman started talking that she spoke as well. "Travelers, where do you come from?"

 

"We come from the Kingdom of Silla."

 

"We? Have you come with others?"

 

"Just with my friend."

 

"The Kingdom of Silla… Can't say I recognize the name… Why are you so far from home?"

 

"We were delivering packages when we were caught in a storm. Most of the people within the ship passed away. Only we both have managed to survive."

 

"That is terrifying," the woman said sympathetically. "Hopefully you will find a good night's rest, at least."

 

This made Chaeyeon smile. "I think we will."

 

The woman stood up, moving towards the small chimney-like stove. "Oh, I had almost forgot I was cooking dinner. Mmm, though I am not sure I cooked enough."

 

"Don't worry. We don't have that big an appetite," Chaeyeon reassured the old woman.

 

"Nonsense. You both have been traveling in terrible conditions. Let me see if we still have some more vegetables…" Chaeyeon tried stopping the old woman, but, unable to contend with the stubbornness of an elder, she argued no more.

 

This was definitely cozy, even when the commodities here couldn't even be compared to those at the Fujiwara household. Perhaps it was the relief of not having to pretend anymore. Perhaps it was that she would not affect Sakura's life anymore… at least, not in her relationship with her adoptive family.

 

She shook her head again, not wanting to think more about her, nor wanting to let the unfamiliar ache fill her chest.

 

She touched her chest, feeling the relief when she felt the texture of parchment below her clothes.

 

It wasn't supposed to be that important, but Chaeyeon couldn't bring herself to throw away Sakura's letter, even when it made her imagine the moment Sakura would realize she and Yena weren't there anymore.

 

The door opened, revealing a young man. His eyes betrayed a hint of surprise, but it was quickly hidden. "You must be the other traveler dad talked about." At Chaeyeon's nod, he added, "what's your name?"

 

"Lee Chaeyeon."

 

The man nodded slowly. Before he could say anything else, his mother entered the kitchen. "Oh, you're finally here. Get to the table, things are almost ready."

 

"Yes, mom."

 

He left the room, but returned quickly, bringing with him a  table that was perhaps not big enough to acomódate two extra people.

 

While he was cleaning it, he asked Chaeyeon, "How has the weather treated you and your friend?"

 

"It has been fine, for the most part. Only once were we caught in a storm."

 

"Really? it has rained a lot here."

 

"He said they came from the Kingdom of Silla," the old woman interjected.

 

"Oh?" He turned to look at Chaeyeon, curiosity visible within his features.

 

"We were couriers. When we were doing one delivery we got lost at sea."

 

"And how is the Kingdom of Silla?"

 

This flustered Chaeyeon. Although she had spent some time living in the capital, she didn't feel  enough confidence to talk about it.

 

"Ah, I lived in the capital, and it's pretty peaceful right now."

 

"Probably a lot more noisy than here."

 

"A little." Although definitely noisy, it couldn't compare to the noise pollution of the present times.

 

"You must have lived so well," the man commented with envy.

 

"I survived." Chaeyeon shrugged her shoulders. She wouldn't particularly catalogue living in this time period as comfortable.

 

The man seemed unconvinced. "Would it truly be that hard?"

 

"Maybe it was hard for me. I was not used to what being a courier entails, " Chaeyeon admitted.

 

The man hummed, as if digesting Chaeyeon's words.

 

Suddenly, the door opened, revealing the old man and Yena.

 

"You're a pretty handy fellow," the man praised, patting Yena's shoulder.

 

"It's nothing.  I am well used to it."

 

"By the way, how do you know Japanese?"

 

"Oh." Chaeyeon scratched her nose. "We were rescued by monks, so they taught us Japanese."

 

This surprised the old woman. "Really? From which temple do you come from?"

 

Chaeyeon struggled to remember. She had been told when she first woke up there, but it was hard to remember now. After a moment, she finally said, "I think it was a temple in Nara. I'm sorry, I really don't remember the name."

 

"You were very lucky," the old man said as he sat down. "You managed to get yourself into a temple in Nara."

 

"Why? Is that important?" Chaeyeon asked. She knew that if people knew the prince was there, his presence might give the temple some prestige. However, she wanted to confirm her own thoughts.

 

"Nara was the previous capital. Much of the buddhists knowledge and prestige remains there."

 

Chaeyeon hummed.

 

"Were you not taught by the monks there?" The young man asked, some interest in his eyes.

 

Chaeyeon cleared . "As it was, it was a kindness that they took care of us and taught us Japanese. I couldn't monopolize their time."

 

The old woman finally took the dishes to the table, filling it to the brim. The dishes were incredibly simpler than those at the Fujiwara estate, and none contained meat, but Chaeyeon and Yena were grateful, nevertheless.

 

The conversation returned to the topic of Silla. Fortunately, this time around, Yena was there to give vivid descriptions of his life, both when he was a farmer as well as when he travelled to the capital, right before he met Chaeyeon. The hosts were interested in his tales, as well as Chaeyeon. It was rare that either of them spoke of the past, so this was also interesting to know about her friend.

 

When they had finished the meal, the old woman asked, "Are you still hungry? I think I could still prepare something sweet."

 

Both Yena and Chaeyeon refused profusely, with Chaeyeon adding, "It was already a very good meal."

 

“Nonsense, I could barely feed you as guests. Let me see if I still have some sweets.”

 

Before both friends could continue to refuse, the old woman stood up and left to look for the dessert.

 

Chaeyeon looked at them hesitantly, before saying, “that’s actually one regret that I have, not learning more when I had the chance.” And it was not a lie. “Do you perhaps know of a nearby temple?”

 

The old man nodded. “Of course, though it’s not as big as the temples in Nara.”

 

“It doesn’t matter, as long as we get to visit one of them.”