Chapter 2

A Jump in Time

Despite knowing it was pretty early in Korean history, when he thought of a city, more so, the capital city, he thought of a huge, beautifully adorned place. Or, at the very least, something that seemed far more... civilized.

He didn’t even know what he expected.

Having parted with Jingeon some time ago, he had been investigating the city on his own, while wishing he didn’t look like a fish out of water. Most likely, he was failing, as several vendors had already tried their luck in selling him stuff that was completely useless. He didn’t have money, anyways.

As far as he had seen, most of the vendors were too into their job that they would stop listening the moment he tried to ask them about this Master Shinyu, which honestly annoyed him.

Locating what seemed to be a small restaurant (how else could he call it?), he approached it, hoping anyone there that knew their way around was willing to disinterestedly help him.

“Excuse me,” he called out, jumping when he was immediately accosted by an older man.

“Hello,” Chaeyeon bowed.

“Oh, why the formalities? You’re here to eat. What do you want?” the man asked enthusiastically.

“Ah, uh. No, that’s not it. I’m sorry. I’m looking for... Master Shinyu?” The man’s chirpy demeanor disappeared, an angry expression appearing in exchange.

“Who’s looking for him?” he asked brusquely, pulling Chaeyeon closer, as if to not let anyone hear.

“His sweetheart sent me,” Chaeyeon asnswered as confidently as he could, hoping he wasn’t about to die.

The man observed his face for a few moments before nodding.

“Follow me,” he said, still pulling Chaeyeon.

When they were at the back of the shop, the man turned around to look for any other person in their close vicinity. He hummed in pleasure when he saw no one.

“Tell me. How is she?” the man asked anxiously.

“Uh, she is doing well.”

“No illness or hunger, right?”

“That’s right. She is healthy.”

“That’s good. That’s a relief.” There was a small silence.

“Well, aren’t you a quiet one,” he teased,  giving Chaeyeon whiplash for the sudden change in demeanor.

“Ah, I was just hoping you would tell me about Master Shinyu.”

“Isn’t it obvious? You’re speaking with him.” At Chaeyeon’s look of incredulity, he roared in laughter.

“I couldn’t fool you, eh? Well, at least you’re smart.” He cleared his throat and compose himself. “As I think you’re aware, Master Shinyu often doesn’t give jobs to just anyone. But if his sweetheart sent you...” he winked. “I’m sure he’ll have something for you.” He stepped backwards, leaving much desired space between them.

“Stay for a while here, eat something, and I’ll send you to him at night. There’s something else I'm going to tend with him as well, so it would be better to go then.” At Chaeyeon’s nod, he was pulled again to the front of the restaurant.

“So, sit wherever you please. I’ll bring you something to eat in a moment.” Chaeyeon thanked him, walking to sit at the further left table.

“Here is some water. You must thirsty.” He was parched. Unfortunately, their water supply had ended two days ago, so they had been relying on puddles they found on the way. One of Chaeyeon’s worst travelling experiences, to be sure. Drinking the water hurriedly, he barely evaded choking on the liquid, and it made him reminisce the first time he woke up in this strange world.

While waiting for food, he grabbed his now frayed backpack, and looked for the only thing connecting him to his present now. Grabbing the cellphone, he pressed the ‘turn on’ button, praying under his breath that it would work. Mentally cheering when it did, his heart ached when he saw his phone’s wallpaper.

There was no signal (what was he expecting, anyway?), and it only had 50% of battery, so Chaeyeon decided to turn the phone off again. While there wasn’t much for her to do with his phone, there was a small voice inside him that told him it could be of use somewhere in the future.

Inside his backback there had only been his old clothes, some crackers (he’d need those later), and some deliveries she still had needed to make back in the present. He tried humoring himself by rearranging the backpack again and again while his mind still ran over the current events.

‘Whoever that Master Shinyu is, what he is doing is done in secret. Whatever job I’m about to get is either dangerous or a secret, probably both. But what else can I do? The only other way to not starve would be to learn to do something, but I don’t think many people would openly teach a stranger a job if they aren’t family.’

“Here,” the man said as he placed a bowl of rice gruel on his table. Chaeyeon thanked him again. When he left, he raised the spoon to smell the meal. It seemed like normal gruel, not much different from present day gruel. He digged into it then.

The travel to Geumsong had been difficult, but one of the things that had made him smile in those days was the impromptu lessons on how to be a man by Jingeon. It was obvious the young man hadn’t trusted her at first, often calling her a mermaid, probably believing she was one and was about to kill him and his companion. However, he had seemed to melt a little after a day or two. By then, he had decided to help her to become a man, a convincing man.

By now, Chaeyeon had mostly nailed a more masculine (but not exaggeratedly so) voice, a more relaxed, but confident countenance, and some notions that she already had known about men. The most difficult would always be to, ahem, relieve her bladder. It had been extremely embarrassing to try and pee like a man did, having needed to wash her pants on a close lake. He guessed that this matter would always be the most cumbersome to deal with.

Now, the most important thing was to look for information about time traveling. There had to be some, he was sure. If there was some mythology book he could read, maybe he could find something about said creature, and, with it, a way back home.

Why had that monster sent her there? What was the purpose of sending a young women a millennium back? Or was he doing it for a laugh? Whatever the case, Chaeyeon needed to find literature. Though, if he thought about it, at this point in time, who had the biggest access to literature? The nobles. There had to be another way.

“I see you have finished. You are free to roam around the city. Just come at dusk, and DON’T. CAUSE. TROUBLE,” the man announced, taking her now empty bowl.

Chaeyeon sighed, debating in his head whether it was a good idea or not to investigate around the city. He might find something interesting, but what if he got lost? Eh, what was the possibility that he’d get lost?

Grabbing her backpack, he turned to leave, before a man’s voice stopped him.

“Leave that sack here! I’ll take care of it.” Chaeyeon was hesitant to do so, but at the man’s prompting, he handed the backpack. He only hoped it wasn’t a misstep.

The town, aside from it’s vendors wasn’t all that interesting. He obviously wasn’t the only traveller, as many people seemed to come from other cities to trade and buy. The busyness of it reminded him of the stalls that were put up Saturday mornings, where she and her mom would often look out for nice offers. It had been a series of lessons her mother had given her, so that, as the older sibling, would be able to cook for the rest of the family, should she ever be away.

It had been useful, at some point.

Anything else was just other houses, which were far more tranquil and intimate. Some people turned to look at him as he passed by, probably not used to having a traveller skim through the neighborhoods in the city. Either that, or they thought he was planning to rob them or something.

It was better to return to the market.

However, at the far off left corner of one of the neighborhoods, there was commotion, and, against Chaeyeon’s own common sense, he decided to investigate.

He didn’t have to. There was a throng of people, getting alarmingly closer, that were pursuing a young man, who looked like he was having the time of his life. Chaeyeon, knowing he would probably get trampled on, started running as well.

He didn’t know anymore where he was going, he just knew he had to find his way back to the restaurant.

Out of nowhere a hand grabbed his arm. His head snapped towards the left, where he saw the young man who was also fleeing.

“What are you doing?!” Chaeyeon almost screamed at the young man. Now he would also be pursued by the throng!

“You are quite fast, eh. I can barely keep up,” the young man answered amiably, ignoring Chaeyeon’s question (and panic).

He was guided by the young man through the narrow streets, seemingly trying to lose his pursuers, which was all fine and dandy with Chaeyeon, but why did he grab onto him, making it seem like he was part of whatever that idiot was doing?

Finally, they jumped over a wall, where the young man rested against, breathing heavily. Chaeyeon was still disbelieving over the whole thing (and, he grumpily had to admit, was a little worried about the man, who was still wheezing), so he stayed still as well. The sounds of the crowd were getting farther away, so there was no more threat.

“Hey, hello,” the young man greeted when he finally had recovered his breath.

“What was that?” Chaeyeon asked, now less panicked and angry than a few minutes before, but still peeved at the whole situation.

“Oh, that. Well, they were just being unnecessarily violent.” The man scratched his neck.

“Sure, and I’m the queen of England,” Chaeyeon retorted.

“Who?” the man asked, puzzled. Right.

“I don’t believe you,” Chaeyeon mended with less bite in his voice.

“It was unnecesary!” the man insisted more enthusiastically. “Just because I was talking to a pretty girl...” he trailed off.

“What did you even tell that girl,” Chaeyeon grumbled. “Anyways,” she started, standing up. “Have a nice life.” Chaeyeon mentally winced when the man grabbed onto his arm again.

“Wait. What is your name?”

“Why do you even need to know? We are not seeing each other again.”

“I’m Choi Yena. Just arrived at the city two days ago.” Chaeyeon hummed, trying to get his arm out of Yena’s grip. “There, I told you my name. Tell me yours.”

“This is not a trade off,” Chaeyeon answered, exasperated. Why had he even felt sympathy for this man?

“I’m pretty sure you just arrived too. Let’s help each other!”

“I don’t have any money.”

“Although an offer of money would have been nice, I’m not asking for that.”

“So what do you want?”

“I want your friendship, of course!”

“What?” Chaeyeon was now confused.

“See, I just came to this city, and I have no idea what to do! I think I just got myself a new job, but I am not sure of what else to do! You seem pretty young, too. How old are you?”

“Mind your own business.”

"Eighteen?”

“Twenty,” Chaeyeon acquiesced.

“Right, just twenty. A year younger than me! Wow, you are pretty weak looking for being twenty,” Yena blurted out loud the last part, making Chaeyeon want to hit him. “I’m pretty sure you have no idea what to do with yourself here in the city. I could try and get you to work alongside me, and you could help me later on! I got your back and you got mine, too!” I mean, it made sense, but Chaeyeon remembered the old woman’s words clearly. You do not trust anyone. You do not speak to anyone.

He had already gone against the second advice.

But that was when he was on the road, right? And, if he looked at Yena, he seemed pretty harmless, almost like an overly excited (misbehaving) puppy. At this time and age, people, aside from the nobles, were rarely that deceptive. Peasants tended to be more honest in their intentions, good or bad... Right?

“I am Lee Chaeyeon,” he finally revealed.

“Oh, oh! Lee Chaeyeon, pleased to make your acquaintance!” Yena babbled enthusiastically, standing up to bow repeated times.

“Likewise,” Chaeyeon bowed awkwardly.

“So, where were you going?” Yena asked.

“Oh, just looking around. It’s my first time at the capital.”

“Oh, mine too! So, what do you think?”

“Eh, nothing especial.”

“Ey, don’t try to look tough! I bet this is the first time you have ever been to a city this big!”

“Well, it is the first time I have ever seen a city like this.” And that wasn’t a lie, either.

“Hah, well, Mister Tough, lead the way.”

“Huh?” Yena smiled mischievously.

“Well, you said you were looking around, let’s look around together then!”

--

They had spent the rest of the remaning daylight walking through the city. The problem was that that sentence simplified things. In reality, Yena had spent the time curiously looking around, and Chaeyeon had tried his best to keep the young man out of trouble. After all, they would linked together, at least, by most people who saw them. There was no way for him to have Yena do something dumb and not be blamed as well.

It wasn’t all bad. Yena was a pretty funny guy, pretty worry-free as well, which was a bit surprising, considering his background. He had, at some point, talked about his own origin, had asked Chaeyeon about his, as well, but the latter had been more or less mum. Despite Yena’s niceness, Chaeyeon wasn’t too keen on sharing his life story (what he could share without being seen as crazy, anyway). He knew one day he was going to leave this place, and it was useless to become attached to people in this era. He would only leave them behind.

Nevertheless, Yena was the son of peasants who worked in the fields in the province of Sakju (where was that, Chaeyeon had no idea). He had two older brothers, who now worked in the fields as well. Due to their precarious situation, the young man had decided to leave home and try his luck in the city, hoping to relieve his parents’ burden.

The problem was, this dolt, when he arrived, had no idea about anything at all. Everything he had ever known was farming, and as things were in this era, there was no climbing the social ladder. You were born a peasant, you died a peasant, which made Yena’s journey to Geumsong a gamble. With no knowledge of any craft, didn’t even know how to read or write (though most of the population didn’t, either), he had nowhere to go, so he dedicated the two days he had been in the city to charming people out of spare food and causing trouble.

Chaeyeon had laughed like he hadn’t in a while, partially because of the way he told his stories, partially because of his bouts of clumsiness. It was nice to not be the clumsy one for once.

The sun was already diving in the horizon, which made Chaeyeon remember his own duties.

“Hey, I have to go now,” he interrupted one of Yena’s stories.

“W-what? Why?”

“It’s already late.” Yena looked around and jumped.

“That’s right! There is somewhere I need to be, too! Where is our rendezvous point?”

“Uh, let’s meet in front of the restaurant.”

"Boo, that’s not fun.” Yena pouted.

‘What is he? Five?’

“Fine, let’s see each other later.” And with that, Chaeyeon ran towards the restaurant, hoping to find the man (and her bag intact).

The man was standing right in front of the restaurant, backpack in hand, which made Chaeyeon internally sigh in relief.

“Did you enjoy yourself?” the man answered impassively.

“Sorry to keep you waiting!” Chaeyeon bowed.

“It’s fine. Let us go.”

The walk towards Master Shinyu’s was a quiet one. Most people were already leaving to their homes, which made the environment a calm one.

Chaeyeon gaped at Master Shinyu’s home, which was, surprisingly, big and luxurious. It made him immediately think of the old woman back in that cottage. How was she related to the owner of this huge thing and still lived in such a place?

The guards at the door bowed their head at the owner of the restaurant (who was still holding onto his backpack), and crossed the entrance. A servant walked briskly towards them.

“Welcome, the Master is waiting for you at the room in the east.” The older man nodded, gesturing for Chaeyeon to follow him.

If the young man were to be optimistic about the whole situation, he would think about how this was a one in a million chance, to see the historic glamour and luxury he would only read of in books. The architecture of the whole place was something he couldn’t quite describe. The level of detail it had was amazing.

They passed by more servants, and Chaeyeon could only wonder who was this character and how did he have this many riches. A noble? Or a merchant?

The doors opened revealing a esplendorous, but nearly empty room, that had not much but a few mats and a small table. A man was sitting at the end of said table, apparently drinking tea.

“Welcome, welcome,” a deep voice boomed in the room as soon as both men entered it. “I see you’ve brought a guest! What’s your name, boy?”

“I’m Lee Chaeyeon,” he answered, trying to appear as manly as he could.

“Is he here to take a job?”

“Your sweetheart sends him,” the older man said calmly. The rich man’s face brightened at his words.

“Is that true?” At Chaeyeon’s agreement, he laughed joyfully. “My, my, haven’t seen that woman in years. She refuses to see me, but asks me a favor for a simple boy!” Putting his hands on his lap, he continued. “How is she?”

“She’s doing well and is healthy,” Chaeyeon answered.

“What else can you tell me? How has she lived these past few years?”

“I don’t know, sir. I only stayed in that town for a brief time,” the young man half-lied, hoping that his non-existent relationship to the old woman wouldn’t get him kicked out.

“So you are not her grandson, nor have a close relationship to her?” the man questioned, his eyebrow raised in skepticism.

“No, sir.”

“Hmm, that woman really is the worst,” the man concluded after taking a sip of tea. “Well, what are you both waiting for? Sit down. More tea will be served very soon.”

Both men sat down, the older man sitting closer to the rich man. He handed Chaeyeon his bag, which he accepted gratefully.

“Did that woman even tell you who am I, boy?” the man asked as he grabbed a biscuit. Chaeyeon debated quickly in her head whether to lie or not, but decided against it. He was sure he would be found out.

“She only told me you would help me,” he answered instead.

“How bold,” the man exclaimed as he chewed the biscuit. He swallowed it, to then continue. “Well, my name is Park Shinyu, and my profession is that of mercantilism. My business network extends to the entirety of Silla, and it sells just about anything under the sun.” He grabbed another biscuit. “I usually require servants or people who are willing to transport goods to wherever is needed, but I do not think I will employ you for that.” He handed Chaeyeon the biscuit, who took it from him rather hesitantly.

“What will you have me do?” Chaeyeon asked, internally surprised at her naturally spouted formal language.

“There is something I commerce with far more valuable than gold or silver. And that is, information. There are couriers that I reserve especially for this task. What they carry are letters, but not just any letter. The letters they are required to take have important, vital information, or interesting messages meant to be kept secret. The couriers I usually require are to be physically strong, agile, and sly.” Master Shinyu gave Chaeyeon a look, as if to say he definitely did not filled the requirements. “However, since that woman has sent you to me, I trust her judgment.”

“I will deliver these letters?”

“You will. Not alone, of course, as the nature of this job is sensitive and dangerous.”

“Master, Youngjin has arrived.”

“Splendid! Let him pass.” The man named Youngjin was a tall, dark man, who seemed like he could easily snap Chaeyeon into two. He bowed at them, and Chaeyeon felt the need to reciprocate, but when he saw the rest of the men refrain from doing so, he did as well.

“Master, I have finished briefing the new recruits and leaving them in their quarters.”

“Excelent. Youngjin, this is Lee Chaeyeon, a new courier. Boy, this is your new leader. You will defer to him from now on, and he will be in charge of every delivery you will make.” Chaeyeon finally bowed to the man, who looked back at him stoically. “One more thing, do you know how to read?” the young man shook his head. “Good, good. But I will give you this warning, just in case. If I ever come to know you know about the content of any of the letters, whether you were the one to the deliver them or not, Youngjin will make sure to shut your mouth permanently. Do you understand?”

“Yes, sir,” Chaeyeon answered, a shiver running down his spine.

“Well, off you go.” Confused, Chaeyeon stood up to leave, turning to look at the owner of the restaurant, who only gestured for him to follow Youngjin.

“Thank you, sir,” he finally said before leaving with the gigantic man. She felt a weird pang in her stomach at the thought of leaving the owner of the restaurant behind. Maybe it was because he represented stability and warmth (a strange kind of it), but there was no turning back. He didn’t know how to go back to his time, and for now, he had to survive, no matter what.

“Well, boy,” the man cleared his throat, making Chaeyeon immediately shake those thoughts away. “It seems you have come to the service of Master Shinyu. He is not a bad master to have at all, as he is rather generous with those who deserve it, and you seem to have gotten in his grace. Don’t waste it, kid.”

“No, sir.”

“Your quarters will be on the west side of the property, along with everyone else.” Chaeyeon felt panic rise at his words. “Despite your special job, it does not have much business, so it is often true that we use couriers to deliver goods as well. Train hard, be smart, and you will have a nice living.”

“Yes, sir.”

There was no more talk from the tall, stoic man, and Chaeyeon found it impertinent to try start a conversation. Not that he wanted to. Despite the late hour, servants, both men and women, still ran around the property, which made the young man question the amount of people living in this state. Probably Master Shinyu’s offspring. Whatever the case, he felt jealousy at the thought of living freely, without the need to work to pay the bills or long overdue debts. Only peace and enjoyment. How would it be for her and her sisters to live in such a place?

The quarters of the workers was, as expected, the complete opposite of the state itself. There was no luxury in the large shack, meant to house god knows how many smelly men. The man stopped at one of the shacks, gesturing at the door.

“This is your barrack. There are no changes. You will sleep here every night you spend here, and likewise, nobody will be allowed to sleep in your place. Wake up at dawn, there’s is something I want to go over with you.” Chaeyeon nodded, opening the door to the barracks, immediately scrunching up his nose at the smell. There was a candle hung next to the door, which meant he had limited visibility, but enough to see which mats were occupied. His seemed to be at the end of the barracks. Tugging the handle of his backpack, he crossed the room, carefully inspecting the faces of those who he would share sleep with. Most were already grown man, probably in their mid to late twenties, except for one baby-faced man...

“Is that...? No, I am hallucinating,” Chaeyeon chanted in his head. Putting the backpack next to the mat, he immediately lay under the slim cover. Is this all he had? He really wished he could cry and lament his situation, but now was not the time. Now, it was the time to clear his head, and get himself out of this situation.

Actually, it was time to sleep.

Despite the thoughts running through his head, he managed to fall asleep pretty quickly, probably exhausted by the day’s events.


Phew! First of all, I'd like to clear something up! Chaeyeon is going to alternate, throughout the story, from male to female pronouns, depending on the situation. It's a heads up so you don't get confused later on ^^

Thank you so much for reading and commenting! This story is all word vomit, so I'm not sure if this will go well in the long run. Still, I am happy about the interest in the story, and I hope you continue enjoying it. Is the pace too slow? Too boring? If you have any feedback, hit me up!

See you c: