Chapter 15

A Jump in Time

There was no sound coming from anyone, as everyone was still filled with the adrenaline of having to avoid being caught by the armed men. Yena has listened to Chaeyeon’s instructions and had done as much, and now, they were going around the town at a reasonable distance.

“I need rest,” Sakura panted.

“Let me help you, Your Grace.” Aoi and Juri rushed to help Sakura, who was too tired to go on. “Yena, can you check if Chaeyeon is close to us?”

“I don’t think it’s wise to do so, Your Grace,” Yena replied despite her worry for her friend. Morning was already approaching, and Chaeyeon was nowhere in sight. “Chaeyeon will arrive soon with Mina in tow, I’m sure.”

Sakura nodded, her expression pensive.

“Did you know she was a woman?”

“I knew,” Yena confessed. “Though I came to know by accident as well.”

“How… How did you meet each other?” Sakura looked apprehensive and a tad curious.

“Well,” Yena hummed in recollection. “I had just arrived at the Capital and had been socializing. For some reason or other, someone got angry with me, and, suddenly, a mob started pursuing me. Chaeyeon was just walking around the capital, and was unfortunate to be in the way of the mob, so I took her hand, and ran with her, away from the mob. When we finally lost them, we both greeted each other. By that time, she already presented herself as a man.”

“Were you not angry when you discovered the truth?”

“I wasn’t. I understood her circumstances, so I wasn’t angry, just felt out of place. I had never interacted with a woman in such a friendly way.”

“How did you discover she was a woman?” Juri interjected, wanting to understand the relationship between both friends.

“Uh.” Yena blushed, not sure how to share that (if it was even pertinent to share to a Princess). “She was… bathing…?”

Sakura gasped at the idea. She then hit Yena in the arm as she blushed furiously.

“Are you a ert?!”

Yena looked wounded at her words. “W-what? No! I am not! It was an accident.”

The words seemed to make the Princess calm a little. She took a deep breath, trying to control the sudden flash of jealousy that was misplaced at the moment, and asked, “Then? What did you do?”

“I… I was shocked… but Chaeyeon… she immediately pleaded with me to not tell anyone. It was then that I understood that her life had pushed her to do it. She was desperate.”

“So… You are not a couple?” Juri asked, verbalizing what she thought was a question the Princess was unwilling to make.

“No,” Yena denied, shutting down the strange thoughts in his head. “She is more like my sister.”

“Is this why you followed her here?” Sakura asked, skeptical at Yena’s answer.

“Well, that, and… well, I wanted some adventure, and Chaeyeon seemed to be a person that would bring that kind of excitement if I followed her.”

There was silence for a moment, and Aoi took that time to whisper, “Your Grace, what are you thinking about?”

“It’s nothing, Aoi,” Sakura answered, not wanting to betray her confusing thoughts at the moment.

“Oh, someone is coming!” Yena exclaimed, making both women turn to look at what seemed a gruesome scene.

It was Chaeyeon, completely disheveled, her expression as if she had gone through hell, carrying a body that seemed to be Mina.

“Chaeyeon!” Yena ran towards the young woman, who didn’t stop walking towards the girls.

When Chaeyeon was close, Sakura gagged immediately at the smell, which was almost unbearable. “W-what happened?”

“Your Grace, we need to hurry. Mina needs a medic,” Chaeyeon explained rushedly, making Sakura straighten up in alarm.

“What happened to her?”

“I don’t know,” Chaeyeon answered. “Someone was able to see me, so I tried avoiding them as best as I could. When I tried avoiding them by the bathroom, I found her close to it and… her leg was already broken.”

“Then there’s no time to lose,” Sakura said, shooting a look at her maids, who were quick to help her get up.

“Will you be alright, Your Grace?” Yena asked, knowing of Sakura’s tiredness.

“I’ll be fine,” Sakura brushed it off, though her expression looked distraught. “Right now, Mina’s well-being should be your priority.” Yena and Chaeyeon nodded. “How long until we reach the Fujiwara’s?”

Yena got the map from his clothes, examining the route. “Most likely… before this days ends.”

Sakura took a deep breath, as if trying to steel herself from having a strong reaction, though Chaeyeon could still see the sheen of unshed tears in her eyes, making her heart hurt. “Then we must hurry. To the Fujiwara’s.”

--

The trip felt like an eternity for everyone, filled with the awkwardness and urgency that Chaeyeon’s exposed secret and Mina’s injury left. No one would speak at all, except to ask for directions or opinions on choices they had to make. This didn’t mean it was a peaceful journey, however, as they knew they needed to move as fast as possible to avoid any more confrontation with the Prince’s assassins.

“We’re finally here,” Aoi whispered in relief as they got closer to the imposing residence. There were guards at the door, whose eyes widened when they saw the Princess, rushing towards them, no carriage, and no fanfare.

“Your Grace!” one of them exclaimed while the other just bowed hurriedly.

"Call the medic," Sakura directed hurriedly, stepping aside to let Chaeyeon pass with Mina in her arms. "Hurry!"

"Yes, Your Grace," one of them said, rushing to accomplish the Princess' orders.

"Where should I lay Mina, Your Grace?" Chaeyeon ventured to ask.

"We're going to my room," Sakura said decidedly. "Yena, you stay here and tell the medic where we'll be."

The man looked surprised at the order, but nodded, regardless. "Yes, Your Grace."

Turning to look at Chaeyeon, she said, "let's go."

That's how they rushed through the immense estate, with Chaeyeon following Sakura and the maids. She would periodically turn to look at Mina, who had now been unconscious for several hours. The run towards Sakura's room felt eternal for Chaeyeon, who could only follow the maids, turning at different corners and moving among the few servants who looked at them bewildered.

When they finally arrived, Sakura opened the door forcefully, not waiting for any of her maids to help her with it. "Here, lay her down here."

Putting her on what Chaeyeon suspected was Sakura's bed, she huffed, turning back to look at the door, as if to will the doctor to appear.

"What should we do now, Your Grace?"

"We shall wait for the medic."

And the room was quiet for a moment, with Sakura and the maids looking anxiously at the unconscious maid. It took more than a few minutes for the man to come along hurriedly, Yena in tow.

"Your Grace! Is something wrong?" the medic said as soon as he saw the Princess.

"My maid has been hurt. Please, attend to her wounds," Sakura said, her tone more pleading. She moved aside, leaving room for the medic to see her.

"What is her ailment, Your Grace?"

"Her leg is broken," Chaeyeon interjected, not wanting to, but knowing that no one else knew what exactly had happened to Mina. The man found strange Chaeyeon's intervention, but nodded, turning to look at Yena.

"Why are you here?" The question surprised Yena, who gaped at the man, not knowing what to say.

"He escorted me here," Sakura answered. "But it is time for him to wait for us outside."

"Right," Yena said, understanding the implicit order, walking outside, but not before he patted Chaeyeon's shoulder. "Tell me what happens later."

When Yena had left the room, the medic, started opening her clothes, looking for the injury. It was not difficult to find, as the protuding bone was visible as soon as he moved Mina's robes. Frowning, he managed to take off the last of her clothes.

"How did this happen?"

"We don't know," Sakura said. "This woman found my maid like this."

"This is pretty severe. Would it be possible for Your Grace to have someone move this maid to another chamber. The treatment might take longer than a few weeks." The medic looked at Sakura gravely, making the Princess worry.

"Let me help you, Your Grace," Chaeyeon offered. "I have been carrying her for a while now. I can do it again."

Not wanting to waste more time, Sakura nodded, giving permission for Chaeyeon to carry the maid.

They now rushed towards the medic's quarters. When they arrived, the medic quickly directed Chaeyeon to put Mina down on a bed.

"We shall now see what we can do for her." After a moment of observing and prodding around the injury, he turned around and said. "Your Grace, the treatment I am to give your maid might be quite ghastly. I'd kindly suggest you return later to see her."

Sakura didn't like the idea, but knowing now the extent of Mina's injury, she knew it might be for the best. "Send someone to notify me when I can see her."

"I'll send someone as soon as possible." Seeing her distressed state, the medic tried smiling. "Do not fret, Your Grace. Your maid will have full convalescence in no time."

"Is that a promise?" Sakura asked, her tone more quiet, but demanding of the correct answer.

"It is," he assured, making the Princess breath at ease. There was still a modicum of worry that she knew wouldn't disappear until Mina was free from harm.

"Then, I shall leave." Sakura turned to leave, not waiting around to talk to anyone. However, she stopped when she saw a guard walking through the estate.

"Guard." The man rushed quickly to bow, shocked at the unexpected presence of the Princess.

"Y-yes, Your Grace."

“Is Official Fujiwara resting?”

“He is. Do you wish for me to send a messenger to notify him of your arrival?”

“No,” she said, her tone colder and more guarded. “I’ll go there myself.”

Turning to look at Chaeyeon and Yena, who had followed them to the medic's wing, she said, "Take care of them."

The guard seemed surprised by the request. “Yes, Your Grace.”

“Do take a bath and rest. I’ll send for you later.” Her tone reminded Chaeyeon of the first time they spoke. It made Chaeyeon feel a strong sense of disappointment, despite knowing that the Princess was in her right of feeling whatever she was feeling.

“Yes, Your Grace,” she said, bowing slightly. Yena followed. After the Princess had left, alongside her maids, the guard turned to look at Yena, barely sparing a glance at Chaeyeon. “Follow me. I will take you to your room.”

The guard didn’t speak anything with them, probably instructed to not speak to visitors. However, when they encountered a group of women, the guard stopped them.

“The 15th Princess wishes for her friends to be bathed and to have a change of clothes,” the guard said, pushing both of them forward. The women, bowing at the command, gestured for Chaeyeon and Yena to follow them.

“We are the attendants to Official Fujiwara’s household,” a shorter woman greeted. “And we will, from now on, be in charge of any need.”

“A pleasure to meet you,” Yena greeted, grunting when Chaeyeon hit him with her elbow.

The women looked surprised at the greeting, some of them giggling at what they perceived to be flirting. “Likewise,” the short one said. “May we know your names?”

“Lee Chaeyeon. Surname Lee,” Chaeyeon said first, her voice more sober.

“Yena,” he said with a more humoristic tone. “May we know your names?”

The woman smirked. “You have not gained the privilege to have it.” Her answer made Yena gape in shock, while Chaeyeon just outright snickered at Yena’s failed attempt. “Do follow us.”

“Mission failed,” Chaeyeon mocked Yena in Korean.

“Oh, shut it,” Yena countered good-naturedly. “You’ll see I’ll get to know their names in no time.”

“What about Juri?” Chaeyeon asked, truly curious of Yena’s attitude towards the woman he seemed to like.

Yena cleared his throat. “Well, I will never get with her, so might as well just look for somebody else.”

“Isn’t that unfair to the women you flirt with?” Chaeyeon asked. “I mean, they are kind of your second choice.”

“Most women who return my flirtations would never marry me, and they know I know that,” Yena waved Chaeyeon’s concern off. “It’s mostly for fun, Chaeyeon-ah.”

Chaeyeon sighed, feeling that there was something more to Yena’s refusal to truly acknowledge his attraction to Juri as more than just a pitiful situation. Nevertheless, she didn’t want to intrude into Yena’s life. If he didn’t want to tell her, then she shouldn’t push him.

"What happened with Mina?" Yena asked, her tone more serious.

"She will be alright, or so the medic reassured," Chaeyeon answered, though there were doubts in her heart. Was it easy to cure fractures in the 10th century. Would Mina have any complications? It made her truly anxious.

However, she shook her head for a moment, wishing to stay alert of her surroundings. After all, this was a new environment altogether.

“This is one the rooms our most distinguished guests say in,” one of the women said. “As friends of the 15th Princess, you will be treated with utmost care, so you don’t have to worry.”

“Should we rest for a little?” Chaeyeon asked Yena.

“We should,” Yena agreed. “I’m really tired.”

Chaeyeon nodded, as Yena opened the door to the room.

“Wow...” Yena murmured as he surveyed the surroundings. It was the most luxurious room he had ever seen in his life.

“We shall now take you to your chamber,” the woman said to Chaeyeon, but she declined.

“I’ll stay with him, if that’s alright.” They were now trapped in a place where they weren’t able to just leave. She couldn’t have Yena be far from her.

The woman looked shocked at the request. “Are you perhaps spouses?”

“We are siblings,” Chaeyeon answered quickly, hoping that was enough of a connection for them to be left together.

The woman looked hesitant, as if she was afraid of incurring on the wrath of the Princess, but she ended up agreeing. “Alright. We shall then come back to take you to your baths.” After a bow, the women left, leaving Yena and Chaeyeon to inspect the room.

“Woah,” Yena exclaimed as he slid his hand through the surface of the dresser. “This type of wood is so nice.”

Chaeyeon, on the other, sat on the bed, closing her eyes for a moment to assimilate everything that had happened.

“Are you alright?” Yena asked after a moment. He had been too engrossed in admiring the room that it had taken quite a while to notice that Chaeyeon wasn’t speaking.

Chaeyeon opened her eyes. “Yes, of course. I’m just...” She moved slightly. “Will Mina be alright?

“Of course she will,” Yena said, though his voice betrayed the doubt he felt. Mina had spent a long time without medical care, and, in the state that medical advances were right now, her well-being was a huge worry.

“What if she gets worse? What if she gets an infection? ” Chaeyeon countered. Now that the danger had passed, she couldn’t help but think, “if I hadn’t been so weak this wouldn’t have happened.”

Yena frowned. “Chaeyeon, you can’t blame yourself for something out of your control.”

“It was in my control,” she countered. “I should have resisted more. I should have been stronger.”

“Do you even remember what happened when you sat to eat at the inn?” Yena asked, his tone seeping disbelief at Chaeyeon’s words. “You were bleeding. You were about to slam your head into your meal. You could barely resist being awake. Even now, don’t tell me you don’t feel ill.”

Chaeyeon bristled. “I don’t,” she denied, although she knew it to be a lie. Yena huffed, obviously knowing that Chaeyeon wasn’t being truthful.

“Idiot Chaeyeon, not everything is your responsibility, not everything is your direct fault,” Yena ended up saying. “Think about it this way, who is responsible of Mina’s injuries, you or the man who hurt her?”

“Well, that man, but...”

“No buts,” Yena interrupted. “You aren’t responsible for what others do.”

Chaeyeon sighed, wishing she could agree with Yena’s words. “I just wish for Mina to be well.”

Yena’s voice softened. “I do, too.” Clearing his throat, he asked, “now, what was up with us being siblings?”

Chaeyeon groaned. “Don’t even start.”

“Do you really think she believed it?” Yena asked, her voice full of mirth. “We look nothing alike.”

“Well, maybe we have different mothers,” Chaeyeon shot back. “Regardless, it doesn’t matter as long as they take that excuse.” Yena chuckled.

“Do you think things will be different here? Compared to the temple, I mean.”

“I don’t know,” Chaeyeon answered. “Hopefully not.” After all, Chaeyeon had enjoyed the liberty of being able to come and go as she pleased, and she wished that, now that she was seen as a woman, nothing would change in that regard. “I need to find my way back home,” she murmured.

At that, Yena’s expression sobered. “Do you have an idea on how to return to your time?”

“I don’t,” Chaeyeon confessed. “Just… do you remember that the Princess and I ended up hiding in a cave?” Yena nodded. “Do you have the papers?”

“Here.” Yena took the papers from his clothes, making Chaeyeon sigh in relief. “I know how important they are to you, so I kept them with me.”

“Thank you,” Chaeyeon sighed. “Have you even taken a look at them?”

“Yes, but there wasn’t anything special in them, just some characters.”

“Not just some characters.” Chaeyeon stood up from the bed, walking towards Yena. “When we were at the cave, we discovered some hieroglyphs that suddenly shined and changed the writing in these.”

“Are you sure you weren’t just already ill and you were imagining things?” Yena asked, receiving a hit in the arm in retaliation.

“The Princess also saw them, idiot,” Chaeyeon retorted, then suddenly gasped. “Maybe that’s why she wants us here. She wants to know what these writings are about.”

“What does this have to do with you going home?”

“I don’t know. I have a feeling it does.” The monster had put her in this path for a reason, or so she hoped.

“Let’s hope your feelings are of help,” Yena said, his voice quieter. The idea of Chaeyeon finally leaving him weighing on him.

“I hope so, too.”

Sakura didn’t have to wait long before she was escorted to her uncle, the Official Fujiwara. As soon as his headmaster heard of her arrival, he had sent guards to fetch her and take her to her uncle, probably to report what had happened at the temple.

He had seemed surprised at the dirt her body was covered with (not to mention the lack of makeup), but she paid no mind to it, no matter how humiliating it felt for her to be seen like this by servants.

Her uncle who had been studying from a book before she arrived was now looking at her in interest (and a tad of worry, even if he never outwardly said it).

“Greetings, Your Grace.” He bowed. “I apologize for not receiving you with a better welcome, but I wasn’t informed of your arrival at all.”

Sakura smiled in the way she had learned to since she was a child, demure and a tad kind. “It is I who should apologize. We encountered troubles on our way here, and, unfortunately, I wasn’t able to notify you of my arrival.”

“You must forgive my indiscretion, but, I am curious as to what happened to you during this trip. How were you so poorly taken care of by your maids?”

“It is not but the 9th Prince’s fault,” she said, quick to absolve her maids or the two foreigners of any guilt. “He was rather... forceful, to persuade us to not come here.”

Her uncle frowned. “And how forceful indeed. I’d really like to hear what has that brute of a nephew done to deserve such an adjective.”

“His forcefulness, as a matter of fact, has rendered one of my maids indisposed.”

“Was she injured?” he asked, gesturing for one of his servants.

“I have already left her at the care of the medic.” Sakura said, knowing her uncle wouldn’t deny her anything.

“Alright,” he gestured again at the servant, who bowed and backed away to his original position. “You must let me know, were you taken care of by the guards?”

“I didn’t come accompanied by guards. The 8th Princess felt it pertinent that I traveled with two nobles,” she lied, knowing that the idea of them being peasants wouldn’t sit well with the nobles here.

Her uncle raised his eyebrows in surprise. “Nobles? Now, where did the 8th Princess find nobles to guard another Princess? Did she send for someone?”

“No, Official Fujiwara,” Sakura answered carefully. “The nobles, to be truthful, are foreigners.”

“Foreigners?” He was gobsmacked. “How were you entrusted in the care of foreigners?”

“They are good people,” she said, resisting the urge of sighing at the thought of one of them. “Took care of me and risked their lives. I haven’t seen better loyalty in even my own subjects.”

He seemed surprised at the intensity of her statement, but he knew better than to question it. Doubting the Princess’s judgment could be seen as a form of defiance to someone who was in a higher social position than he was.

“If I may ask, where are these young men?”

“One of them is a woman,” Sakura clarified. “I have sent them to rest and take a bath, as they are exhausted by the journey.”

“I would like to regard them for bringing you safe here, Your Grace.”

Sakura smiled, but it was forced. “Shall I send for someone?”

“Don’t believe me to be rash, Your Grace. Of course, I’ll invite them to a feast to honor your arrival.”

“Then I leave them in your care,” she said, breathing deeply. “I’d like to excuse myself, as my appearance is not appropriate to mingle.”

“Then I shall send you the invitation to the feast as well, Your Grace. Please, rest assured.”

“Then I’ll take my leave.” After she had left her uncle’s study, she was almost ambushed by her maids.

“How did everything go, Your Grace?” Aoi asked worriedly.

“We’ll have a feast tomorrow,” Sakura finally let herself grimace. “To welcome me and the nobles that have traveled with me.”

“Your Grace?” Aoi questioned, gaping at the Princess’s words. “Does this mean…?”

“Shall we return to my room?” Aoi took the signal and nodded, keeping quiet as she flanked the Princess.

It wasn’t until they were in the privacy of the Princess’s bedroom that Aoi spoke again.

“Did you tell Official Fujiwara those… crooks were nobles?” Aoi asked, scandalized at the idea.

“It was necessary,” Sakura defended.

“How? It would’ve been better to send those liars on their way,” Aoi fumed. Now that they were finally safe, she couldn’t wait any longer for the Princess to get away from those two people who had lied to her indiscriminately, breaking her heart in the process.

“I am also curious,” Juri interjected. “Are you not angry at their deceit?” Although Juri wasn’t angry at any of them, she knew the Princess was at least saddened by this turn of events.

“I...” Sakura hesitated. “I need them here. It’s only for my benefit.”

“Why would you need them here? You are the 15th Princess, adored and pampered by His Majesty, having at your disposal any servant or guard you may ever need. Why should they be here?”

“Do you question my judgment, Aoi?” Sakura hated using her authority and rank to talk to her maids, but she didn’t want to be constantly asked about this matter, not when she was still confused.

Yes, she needed Chaeyeon because she... had those mystic papers that were, most likely, linked with the Prince’s plan. Only Chaeyeon, who had traveled all the way to deliver them could help her know what was their use, if they had any.

(Never mind the fact that she could easily order Chaeyeon to give her the papers and send her on her merry way)

Any other thought that deviated from her plans in regards to Chaeyeon made her feel dizzy, so she tried not thinking about it, not wanting to listen to her traitorous heart when it still skipped a beat at the meeting of their eyes.

“No, Your Grace,” Aoi said, sighing in resignation, knowing that she couldn’t change Sakura’s resolution. “I just want you to be safe.”

Sakura smiled softly. “I know. But you can’t protect me from everything,” she said, echoing the words she had said a few weeks back. “Now, would you please prepare my bath?”

“Of course, Your Grace.” And with that, both girls left, leaving Sakura alone with her thoughts. Sighing, she frowned in worry, letting herself manifest the anxiety she’d felt for the remainder of their journey to the Fujiwara home. Mina was now being taken care of, but Sakura still fret that it wouldn’t be enough.

She shook her head, wanting to contain her thoughts before they got the best out of her.

After a moment, both her maids came back, steering her towards her bath. Sakura could see, however, that they were holding onto their words, as if afraid to voice them.

“What is it?”

Aoi looked at her hesitantly, then cleared . “Uh, we have received news that your ‘friends’ have already been accommodated and are now resting in their chamber.”

“Is that it?”

Juri turned to look at Aoi before telling the Princess, “we have also received news that they’ve both decided to share a chamber.” Her words made Sakura stop suddenly, making the maids stop hurriedly alongside her.

“Why?” The question was quiet, but, if one of them were to peek at the Princess’s expression, the anger would’ve been plain as day.

“Apparently, they are siblings,” Aoi supplied after a moment. She had wanted to express the lack of importance of the arrangements, but she could sense Sakura’s tenseness, so she decided to be more discreet.

Sakura scoffed at the idea, but resumed her walk. “And what kind of siblings they are…” Clearing , she added, “This is unacceptable. We shall arrange chambers for each of them. After all, what kind of guests would they be if they were cooped up in one chamber?” Her voice was again uncompromising, begging obedience.

Knowing that the Princess was dead set on her feelings for the conniving woman (even if she tried denying it), Aoi just sighed. “You are right. I will send to have the arrangements done.”

They had finally arrived at the bath, where Juri murmured, “I shall help you take your clothes off.”

“Please, Aoi,” Sakura said before the maid could join Juri in helping the Princess get undressed. “Go and make sure those arrangements are done. Also, send Chaeyeon to my room. I’d like to have a talk with her.”

“Are you sure, Princess?”

“Yes, please do it.”

Sakura huffed as she watched Aoi leave.

“Are you alright, Your Grace?” Juri asked.

“I am,” she answered, though she knew it to be a lie. She knew she was being unreasonably jealous of a person who had deceived her, and she knew that that person was a woman… but she couldn’t help it. The idea of Chaeyeon sharing a room with Yena, who had seen her , no less, made her insides churn unpleasantly. “Am I doing the right thing?”

“Only you know that, Your Grace,” Juri answered softly, folding the garments.

“You are alright with this… with Chaeyeon?” Sakura asked, a little surprised at Juri’s calm demeanor.

“It doesn’t matter how I feel, Your Grace. I can see that you have fallen for Chaeyeon, and I don’t think her being a woman has eliminated your feelings at all.”

Sakura sighed. “I feel betrayed by her lie, but I…”

Juri nodded, as if understanding what Sakura hesitated to say. “Would you like for me to stay with you, Your Grace?”

“I’d rather like it if you let me take the bath on my own, please,” Sakura asked quietly. Although she knew Juri was not one to mercilessly question the way Aoi did, she still wanted to feel the solace of solitude.

The Princess submerged into the tub after Juri left, groaning in relief at her aching muscles. Staying for a moment in silence, she barely noticed the tears that ran down her cheeks. The trip had truly taken so much out of her, physically… and emotionally.

Her thoughts inevitably returned to Mina. Would she be alright? Would the doctor be able to save her? Her injury seemed serious.

Who had even done this to her? What was the point of hurting her?

The night they had been attacked had been terrifying. She had been woken in the middle of the night to run away from harm. She could do nothing except be led towards safety while she did her best to contain her emotions. Although she had liked Chaeyeon's reassurance in that cave, she didn't want to alarm her maids by crying in front of them.

It truly made her feel weak.

And then Chaeyeon had arrived with an injured Mina on her arms, probably having risked her own life to help her.

She owed Chaeyeon a lot, regardless of her feelings for the woman.

Chaeyeon.

Although it had been a forenight, it hadn't been difficult to come to terms with Chaeyeon's real identity.

After thinking for a moment, it made sense that she was so different from any other man. The softness and the paradoxical sturdiness of her body, the way she was in tune with Sakura's feelings (except the ones that mattered the most), her feminine features, her dainty, but powerful dance.

All of her was beautiful.

Shaking her head, she tried eliminating that dangerous conclusion from her mind. Chaeyeon was a woman. She couldn't be feeling this for a woman… could she?

(Deep down… she knew she could. She did. She definitely did.)

Wiping her tears away, she submerged her body deeper, wanting to forget everything these days had brought forward, but a sudden memory struck her, making her sit on her tub abruptly.

If she remembered correctly, when Chaeyeon and Yena had arrived at Gentai, they both had been taken for a bath as soon as they arrived, leaving Sakura to calm her exasperation at the duo for coming too late.

Had they bathed together?

The thought made Sakura shriek angrily, trying to erase the horrible thoughts.

‘Surely not,’ she said to herself. ‘There is no way Chaeyeon would...’

But what if she had? What if they were truly a couple and had hidden their relationship from them? Another lie wouldn’t be too difficult for them.

The idea angered her more than she thought possible, but there was no taking the seeds of doubt out. She’d had to wring the truth out of Chaeyeon, no matter what.

After that, there was no way she could stop thinking about the woman, not even when she had finished her bath. She called for Juri, who had been quietly waiting for her at the entrance of the bath house.

“Are you ready, Your Grace?” Juri was sporting a poker face, aware of the scream she had heard from the bathroom, but already knowing it wasn't pertinent to mention if the Princess herself didn't mention it.

“I am,” Sakura said, getting out of the bath. Juri hurried to dry Sakura’s body.

“Have you received any news from Aoi?” she asked as she raised her arms to the sides.

“Yes, Your Grace. Chaeyeon is already waiting at your chamber.” Her words made Sakura’s heart beat violently in her chest, as her mind filled with the anxiety of the questions she was about to ask, dreading the answer but needing it all the same.

Juri finished dressing her, and soon they were on their way to Sakura’s chamber. Now that there was barely any light, there were fewer people passing through the state, and, at some point, it was comforting to the young princess. It reminded her of the few times she had spent observing the lake, coming up with the inspiration to write a poem.

It calmed her from the impending conversation.

However, she wasn’t ready to feel the rush of emotions when she finally crossed the doors to her chambers and was met with Chaeyeon’s stare.

“Your Grace,” Chaeyeon greeted, bowing slightly, a hint of anxiety in her tone.

“Chaeyeon,” she greeted with a neutral tone, smiling wryly as she thought about how to formulate the questions in her mind.

“Was there something you needed to tell me?”

“Aoi told me that you were planning to share a chamber with Yena,” Sakura said quietly, but not meekly, the laborious vocabulary that she used with her peers shed aside.

“And Aoi herself told us that you suggested kindly that we should both have a different chamber.”

“Why? Is it important to spend the night with him?” The Princess cringed internally. She didn’t intend her tone to be as petulant as it sounded.

Chaeyeon frowned. “It’s not-”

“Then it’s better to treat my guests with more kindness, is it not?” Sakura asked, her eyes gleaming with a more dangerous glint.

“I guess,” Chaeyeon asked, sensing that she was losing. She hoped she could convince the Princess to let her share with Yena, but, for some reason, Sakura seemed hellbent on not letting them be together. It made her slightly anxious. Was she maybe angry? Would she try to take revenge for the lie?

Sakura nodded, slightly relieved at Chaeyeon’s compliance, but she still needed to ask, “Are you really just Choi Yena’s friend?” The question was rash, and not exactly what she wanted to say, but it had the same effect on Chaeyeon than any other rephrasing of the inquiry.

“Of course I am,” Chaeyeon answered, surprised, and, honestly, quite annoyed at Sakura’s question.

“Tell me the truth,” Sakura used the most commanding tone she could in that moment, though she was sure she didn’t sound as regal as she wanted to.

“We are just friends.” Chaeyeon sighed. “We met each other on my way to search for my sisters, and he decided to accompany me.”

“He didn’t know you were a woman?” she asked, already knowing Yena’s answer, but wanting to hear Chaeyeon’s side of the story.

“No… nor did I want him to know.”

“Then? How does he know?” The question made Chaeyeon cough slightly.

“He… uh…”

“So you really aren’t lovers?” Sakura interrupted, not wanting to hear Yena’s explanation coming out of Chaeyeon’s mouth, lest she feel even more upset.

“We aren’t.” Chaeyeon shook her head. Although the line of questioning was strange, she understood quickly where it came from. “I didn’t lie to you about Yena and I, Your Grace. I’m sorry I lied about my identity, but that lie… I used it to protect myself. I didn’t mean to make you feel fooled.” There was silence for a moment.

“Is it really true? Have you really not lied to me at all?” Sakura’s distrust made Chaeyeon feel saddened, making the fact that she now truly cared for the Princess hit home. It was because of this, that Chaeyeon decided to tell her the truth.

"I haven't lied to you about anything I've said, Your Grace."

Sakura caught the unsaid words. "However?"

"There are things about my own life that I have never spoken to you about, but nothing that might endanger or harm you," she admitted.

"What is it?" Sakura asked quietly, leaning backwards, as if bracing for the worst.

"This… If this is something you want to know… It's better if only you hear about it." Sakura bit her lip, nodding towards Juri, who understood the directive and moved outside, where Aoi was waiting for Chaeyeon to leave.

"Now, tell me," Sakura ordered softly after they were left alone.

"Well…" Chaeyeon didn't know how to say it. Yes, this wasn't the first time she had done this, but this still made her anxious, even more so with Sakura, who was probably still angry with her. She didn't want Sakura to not believe her, to push her away. "Your Grace, I will sound strange, but please, bear with me." Chaeyeon gave a deep breath.

"As you know, I'm looking for a way to go to my sisters, and… well… I already know where they are."

"Are they…?" Sakura asked, unable to phrase the entire sentence.

"No," Chaeyeon denied, surprised by Sakura's implication. "They are not dead. The thing is… I know where they are, but I don't know how to get there."

"What do you mean? Are they overseas? Are they in another kingdom?"

"They are in another time."

Sakura blinked, not expecting Chaeyeon's answer. "Eh?"

"It might sound crazy, Your Grace, but I am not from this time. I don't live here. Where I really live… is in the future."

There was silence for a moment.

"Is… Is that figurative speech?" Sakura asked, although she already knew that wasn't what Chaeyeon meant.

Chaeyeon shook her head. "No, Your Grace."

"And this is the truth?".

"I swear on my life," Chaeyeon vowed, looking at Sakura anxiously. The Princess stayed quiet for another moment, as if she was digesting Chaeyeon's words. Chaeyeon turned her head away, afraid of what she'd find in Sakura's expression.

"It's not crazy," she said slowly. "Considering what I've seen… what we've both seen in that cave."

Silence.

"Are you leaving?"

The question surprised Chaeyeon, making her look at the Princess. Sakura's expression was cold, making it difficult for Chaeyeon to understand what Sakura was thinking about. Regardless, she couldn't hide the truth.

"No, at least, not right now."

"But you're leaving," Sakura asserted forlornly. "You're leaving and not coming back."

"I'm sorry, Your Grace," Chaeyeon apologized, barely even able to think about the implication of Sakura's words. She sounded almost… sad?

Chaeyeon thought about what she could say for a moment before she decided to go on a limb. "I wish I could be a better friend for you."

Her words seemed to get Sakura out of some sort of meditative spell. Chaeyeon noticed her expression hardening little by little, filling her eyes with determination that shocked her, making her lean backwards in surprise.

"W-what is it?" Chaeyeon stuttered, feeling the atmosphere change into something more suffocating. She could barely look into Sakura's eyes, which now were intensely sharp, as if they were able to gaze into her soul.

"You have been a good friend. And, honestly, I'm tired of it."

"W-what do you mean?"

"Chaeyeon…" The door opened, revealing an impatient Aoi.

"Are you alright, Your Grace?" Now, with the strange atmosphere gone, Chaeyeon heaved in relief. She hadn't even noticed she had been holding her breath, as if there was something momentous about to happen.

"Yes, Aoi, I'm alright. I'm at my chamber, am I not?" Sakura looked peeved at the interruption, but turned to look at Chaeyeon, a twinkle of a promise in her eyes. "We'll continue talking tomorrow. Come to my chamber early."

"Your Grace." Aoi's tone was a reprimand, but the maid bit her tongue when she saw the hard look sent her way.

"Yes, Your Grace." Chaeyeon bowed in her seat, feeling the sudden urge to get some air. "I'll come, first thing in the morning."

"I'll send Juri to fetch you," Sakura said, standing up from her position on the floor. Chaeyeon did the same, giving Aoi a cursory glance before turning to leave the chamber.

"Sleep well," Chaeyeon murmured despite the strange weight she felt on her chest.

"You too," Sakura answered in kind, though her voice still sounded grave.

"I'll take you to your chamber now," Juri told Chaeyeon after she had exited the chamber.

"Thank you." Chaeyeon gave the maid a small smile before sighing. She was relieved that she had been able to escape Sakura's chamber, as the glint in Sakura's eyes in THAT moment had been… scary.

'You have been a good friend. And, honestly, I'm tired of it.'

Was Sakura angry with her? Did she want to stop being friends, then?

“Juri?” Chaeyeon started, making Juri hum in response. “Are you angry with me, too?”

“Not at all,” she answered, a little tickled at Chaeyeon’s insecurity. “Neither the Princess, if that’s what you are wondering about.”

“I wasn’t wondering about her at all,” Chaeyeon declared, shaking her head in denial, but then peeked to look at Juri. “So, she isn’t angry?”

“She’s just hurt about the lie. She likes you a lot, you know.” The admittance made Chaeyeon balk for a moment, even when she had seen the Princess' reaction to her impending departure.

“S-she does?”

“Yes, she does,” Juri answered, turning her head to inspect Chaeyeon’s reaction to her words.

“I… uhm… like her, too,” Chaeyeon declared shyly, feeling embarrassed at the admission. “She’s nicer than I originally thought,” she added hesitantly, clearing right after.

“Did you previously think she was mean?” Juri asked, inwardly laughing at the denseness she was sure to find. Although she was already aware of Chaeyeon’s lack of knowledge on Sakura’s very obvious feelings, it somehow managed to continue entertaining her.

“Don’t tell her I said that,” Chaeyeon asked, though, knowing Juri, the woman would just banter about it with her.

“Never,” Juri declared, raising a hand is if to vow. “This is not the first time I hear something like this, anyway,” she said, gaining Chaeyeon’s attention.

“Why? Who else would say that?”

“Several people, most often, suitors who wish to share time with the Princess.”

“Sakura has suitors?” Chaeyeon had never even thought about it, but now that she was presented with the idea, it made her somehow uncomfortable. “Was she comfortable with them?”

“No, and that’s why she’s often aloof to the lot of them.”

“That’s good, that’s good.” Chaeyeon nodded to herself. “She shouldn’t entertain men she doesn’t like.”

Juri grinned. "What about women?"

"What?"

"Oh, nothing. I'm just rambling," Juri shrugged her previous words off. "Just… give her space. I'm sure you'll both be friends again in no time."

"I hope so," Chaeyeon murmured, looking towards the ground. "I truly hope so."

"So, why did you want to stay with Yena?" Juri asked, steering the topic away from Sakura's feelings.

"Well, I've become used to him," Chaeyeon lied at first, scratching her neck, but then decided to tell the truth. "Though, to be honest, I was afraid that we both would have repercusions for lying to the Princess, so I wanted to stick close to him."

"Oh, I understand now," Juri laughed. Now it made sense. "But, as I said, nothing of the sort will happen. You can trust my words."

Chaeyeon sighed in relief. "Thank you, Juri."

"Don't thank me, thank the Princess," Juri countered. "Unfortunately for you, I think your chamber might be quite far from Yena's chamber, due to your… differences."

Chaeyeon grimaced slightly. "This ."

Juri laughed, not understanding Chaeyeon's words but understanding the sentiment. "Do you dislike being a woman?"

Chaeyeon was surprised by the question. "No, not at all. It's just... Where I come from, there's no such separation of men and women. I mean, I can talk freely, and I can have male friends."

"Really?" Juri was understandably skeptical of her words. Chaeyeon nodded. "Then maybe you won't like this environment."

"Why?"

"Well, in here, it's not a good thing to have women talk to men alone if they are not their inmediate family member or husband."

Chaeyeon gaped. "Then, why did Princess Rino talk to me to begin with? Why did Princess Sakura?"

Juri hesitated, not knowing how to explain it. "It's not necessarily a problem as long as other nobles don't come to know about it. Yena might have more leniency, given that he is a foreigner and he was following the Princess' orders. You, too, probably."

"So the Princess can speak to Yena?"

"It would be better if she didn't, unless in a public place. For example, there's a welcome coming for the Princess and you two. The Princess can interact with other men... Just, with discretion."

"Another welcome? Is it alike the one at the temple?"

"Even more grand than the previous one." The statement made Chaeyeon groan. "Why are you so frustrated?" Juri asked, laughing.

"Am I expected to speak with other people?"

"Official Fujiwara might want to get to know you a little, given that you basically escorted the Princess here and saved her life."

Chaeyeon seemed bashful at Juri's words. "I didn't save her life."

"You did," Juri assured her. "Your quick thinking led her to be safe, instead of running with all of us, dodging arrows."

"You had to dodge arrows? Yena didn't tell me."

Juri waved it off. "Maybe he didn't want to worry you. After all, we are alright... Except for Mina."

Chaeyeon looked contrite at that moment. "I'm sorry."

Juri opened , but stopped herself from speaking, as if she was thinking of the correct words to say. "Maybe you should tell Mina," she suggested.

Chaeyeon's eyes widened. "I can visit her?"

"Yes, the Princess has decided to visit her tomorrow. She might want you to come with us."

Chaeyeon nodded, acknowledging Juri's words. "Then maybe I will."

The rest of the trip to Chaeyeon's chamber was filled with lighthearted conversation.


Hope you enjoy! Keep yourselves safe and healthy! ^^